PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles that are winter hat/hoodie "safe".

MissDixie
November 23rd, 2021, 05:14 PM
I've been getting into trying different hairstyles(braids, decorative pins, sticks etc.), but now that winter is coming I feel like I have to put them on hold. Mostly because I always put my coat hood on, which will mess up my do!! So it looks like a hairclip is in my forecast for the next several months!!

Does anyone have any hairstyles that are hat/hood friendly that will not get messed up severely?!

I did try to search archive for this, but didn't see anything (unless I missed it!)

drake
November 23rd, 2021, 06:08 PM
I've been thinking about the exact same thing! I've always loved wearing beanies in the winter. Last year my hair was just past shoulder length, now it's past APL and I've got no idea how I'm gonna handle it yet.

JasminxCat
November 23rd, 2021, 07:08 PM
Were you looking for styles that would protect your length from cold weather, or you just don't want it rubbing on clothing and messing up? There's those beanies with the holes where you can pull your hair through, if you've considered that

KokoroDragon
November 23rd, 2021, 07:17 PM
I've just been braiding my hair and tucking it into my beanie. I keep my hat on all day, so it doesn't matter what my hair looks like underneath, but it's actually a pretty protective style for me because my hair isn't exposed to anything that could damage it. You could try something similar with head scarves if you want it to look a bit prettier. I've also seen satin lined beanies on Etsy.

Etheldreda
November 23rd, 2021, 07:21 PM
My hair gets seriously tangled when I wear a hat so I almost always braid it. When I'm wearing something like a toque or a knit headband I put my hair in two braids and tuck them under my jacket. That way my hair is protected from the cold, won't get tangled and I can still look moderately cute when I take my jacket off. If I'm doing something outdoorsy and I don't care what I look like, I just wear my hair in one braid at the back and tuck it in-between my t-shirt and sweater.

shelomit
November 24th, 2021, 06:10 AM
The styles that work best for me with winter are 1) single braid, kept inside my coat/jacket and under my hat, or 2) bun at the very top of the head.

Flittingsis
November 24th, 2021, 06:36 AM
wear a larger hat? I have a pattern to crochet a stand-alone hood so that I can just place it on my head and not have to tuck hair up inside a hat. I've already caught and snagged a beanie with a hair pin... But hopefully the hood won't mess up any hair style while it's on, either.

neko_kawaii
November 24th, 2021, 07:21 AM
Check out this thread. (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11886)

Shorty89
November 24th, 2021, 08:56 AM
I usually wear my hair in a bun and then put a toque over it. It's often too cold to just wear an ear muff. I do have to adjust what hairtpys I wear though. Single sticks and flexis often get caught in the toque or get knocked really crooked/fall out etc so I usually try to stick with forks.

MusicalSpoons
November 24th, 2021, 09:07 AM
I have a chenille hat (beanie? maybe, not sure on hat styles) and it's big enough and stretchy enough go over my buns as long as there's not a huge amount of hairtoy sticking out either side. It was just a cheap one from probably Primark or somewhere similar :shrug: I guess there's a modicum of 'hat hair' when I take it off, with all my wispies, but nothing terrible. Anything large enough with a satin lining should minimise hat hair anyway.

Cg
November 24th, 2021, 09:48 AM
I made my own ultrawarm, windproof hat with a snorkel front I can roll back when bitter wind isn't severe. I made the hat large enough to accommodate any bun and any hairtoy.

Anything extra large will work, including men's hooded coats, but you need a long lean body type to fit those.

Alexandrina
November 24th, 2021, 11:11 AM
If you usually wear the same coat,
you could always line the hood with silk or satin!
Then it wouldn't catch on any of your hairstyles.
Unless the hood is too small for your hair?