PDA

View Full Version : Am I imagining or does shampoo wash make my hair immediately greasier?

Priska
November 11th, 2021, 12:31 PM
I started to wash my hair with shampoo again because I read that it can do miracles to my hair. And maybe it did... but after long time my hair is now greasy again. Can just a couple of shampoo washes really make that?.. that my scalp gets so clean and dry that it starts to produce oil Itself?

Of course it stayed clean One or two days but it feels like it now getting really so much faster again. Actually I think that with CO-washes oil production of my scalp almost Totally stops.

Shorty89
November 11th, 2021, 12:36 PM
You may be over-washing it. I had that same problem when I was washing too often. If CO works for you, I see no reason not to go back to it.

lapushka
November 11th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Can I ask, why you changed up something that works for you?

If shampoo doesn't work, go back to CO-washing!

Priska
November 11th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Co-washing was not saving my hair from tangles either and I wanted to try shampooing after a long time. :) But this really isn't any big problem, I was mainly scientifically interested about this issue. And I guess anyway everybody sometimes must do a deep wash to remove the build-up?

lapushka
November 11th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Co-washing was not saving my hair from tangles either and I wanted to try shampooing after a long time. :) But this really isn't any big problem, I was mainly scientifically interested about this issue. And I guess anyway everybody sometimes must do a deep wash to remove the build-up?

Not everyone. GRU on here CO-washes 24/7, no interruption. But it depends on your hair. Most of us need to clarify once in a while aka wash with a harsher sulfate shampoo.

I think this is just a mystery, for the most part, no explanation at all.

People are so different, scalps are so different, hard to come to conclusions on that with that variety of people around.

Shorty89
November 11th, 2021, 06:06 PM
I CO and rarely clarify. I mainly clarify to get rid of buildup from my length not my scalp since the conditioners I use on my length sometimes (Mane N' Tail or Hair Treats) are oil heavy. The conditioner I use for CO doesn't seem to really build up.

The-Young-Maid
November 12th, 2021, 02:47 AM
...well what shampoo are you using? It's probably just too heavy for your hair. Try something clear/clarifying instead of moisturizing/pearlescent. I have the same problem with heavy shampoos.

lapushka
November 12th, 2021, 03:43 AM
...well what shampoo are you using? It's probably just too heavy for your hair. Try something clear/clarifying instead of moisturizing/pearlescent. I have the same problem with heavy shampoos.

Good call! If it's not a shampoo geared towards oily hair / aka a clear formula preferably, then... I mean if you're washing with say a moisturizing shampoo, that might not be ideal. You really need a clarifier.

CuteCrow
November 12th, 2021, 04:55 AM
It depends on the kind of water you have too! I've seen that most people with soft or medium hard water often success with cowashing all the time, it's mostly people with hard water the ones who have to do clarifying washes.

Also, are you conditioning your lengths too? I mean apart from the cowash. This is different for everyone, some people seem to he able to get always with using just regular shampoo and no conditioner and they get near to zero tangles. But most people need some conditioner to help with detangling. It could also be that your lengths prefer conditioners with silicones (which many cowash conditioner don't have) and that's why you're having problems with tangles.

TatsuOni
November 13th, 2021, 03:18 AM
I'm a CO-washer and I never use shampoo. I do have hard water and I use NightBlooming's chelating crystal rinse to deal with that.