PDA

View Full Version : Hair potions thread (aka product modification)

GoddesJourney
October 24th, 2021, 01:37 AM
I believe this thread should be easily accessible on the Mane Forum. I remember being looking for this type of information when I was much newer to LHC and not finding it.

That said, I have a really hard time finding products I like. I have now learned how to doctor okay products to make them work well for me. I will share my recipes here. I stay away from silicones, so I can't comment on how this works with silicone containing products. Hopefully, someone who knows will share their recipe.

I like to wash daily and use shampoo and conditioner evenly. I buy one shampoo and three conditioners.

Conditioner

2 8 to 8.5 oz bottles of conditioner
6 teaspoons (2 tablespoons or 1 oz) of oil my hair likes
6 teaspoons of honey

Shampoo

1 8 to 8.5 oz bottle of shampoo
1 8 to 8.5 oz bottle of conditioner
6 teaspoons of oil my hair likes

Very easy. Just blend with a wisk or on low with a hand mixer or kitchen aid. Use a funnel and pour it back into the bottles. Be sure to label the conditioner bottle that now contains shampoo. Also, empty honey bear bottles work great and are easy to fill.

I usually use macadamia oil because that is my hair's favorite. I ran out and started using sunflower oil. Not quite as good but I still like the end result. I find thi oil to feel a bit sticky until my hair is completely dry.

If you are using metric, I believe the bottles are around 250 mL and the oil would be around 29.5 mL.

The shampoo will be super runny, but you get used to it. I have done this with sulfate and sulfate free shampoo.

Please share your own hair potion recipes here so other people have things they can try or at least know where to start with their own experiments.

JasminxCat
October 24th, 2021, 03:00 AM
Good idea for a thread. I always thought about experimenting with some of my hair products but never understood the right ratios and measurements when wanting to modify, so information here would be helpful in the future. I might have to try the oil and honey potion on some of my conditioners that have been put away. Any idea on what the shelf life would be?

Bri-Chan
October 24th, 2021, 03:20 AM
I think this is dangerous. Adding things to your product, you destroy the preservative system of the product, and it can cause your products to develop things life mold or bacteria, even if you can't see it, and that can lead to irritation or dermatitis. I would not recommend it.

JasminxCat
October 24th, 2021, 03:28 AM
That's why I would do it in small amounts, or only what you can use within a small time frame. There's also the option of adding your own preservatives

GoddesJourney
October 24th, 2021, 10:23 AM
Good idea for a thread. I always thought about experimenting with some of my hair products but never understood the right ratios and measurements when wanting to modify, so information here would be helpful in the future. I might have to try the oil and honey potion on some of my conditioners that have been put away. Any idea on what the shelf life would be?

I have no idea. I make one batch at a time, so I haven't left them for more than two or three months.

I think this is dangerous. Adding things to your product, you destroy the preservative system of the product, and it can cause your products to develop things life mold or bacteria, even if you can't see it, and that can lead to irritation or dermatitis. I would not recommend it.

Yup. That's the risk.

serbus
October 24th, 2021, 03:56 PM
I like that you use small amounts and only a couple ingredients. Honey needs to have no more than 20% moisture content to be shelf stable, so when I mix it with anything I have to store it in the fridge or use it all immediately. I don't really love mixing a ton of ingredients before a shower, but fresh eggwhites are a great conditioner for me (shower has to be cold though... brr).

lithostoic
October 24th, 2021, 06:29 PM
I mix products all the time! I like the creaminess of one but I feel it needs more hold so I add gel. Or I want a lighter hold so I thin it out with leave in conditioner instead. I do this in the palm of my hand and then emulsify really well before applying.

GoddesJourney
October 24th, 2021, 09:29 PM
I forgot to mention that my husband uses some 2 in 1 guy shampoo and he wanted to make it more gentle on his hair. I added 1 oz oil to 8 oz of product. He says it feels less drying and seems to make his hair feel heavier instead of frizzy. So to those of you interested in oil shampoo or who have to use dandruff shampoos, this my work for you and may be worth a try.