PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years (and counting)

lapis_lazuli
October 16th, 2021, 10:45 AM
This month marks TEN years that I've been on my hair growth journey, and it made me want to reflect.
This is where I am today:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46118&d=1634401289

And this is where I was ten years ago:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46120&d=1634401385

In October 2011, my hair was BSL, and the ends were badly splitting from all the bleach and heat damage I'd inflicted on it in years prior. I was only just realizing the extent of it and spent many hours in class examining the consequences up close and pulling the broken hairs apart.

I was unhappy with what I saw. I decided I had to grow out the mess I had made and ditched the heat tools completely. As this was pre-LHC, I had no other ideas, but that was the beginning of a decade-long commitment to nurturing and restoring my hair.

I was set on improving the quality and growing even longer than it'd been before the bad decisions (past waist). So I wasn't interested in chopping anything; I would get the damage trimmed out slowly but surely. With that conviction, I turned around and took my first ever length shot to see what I was working with. Even with the Photo Booth quality, I knew it wasn't great. But it was mine, and I had an endless imagination for the possibilities.

Ten years on, as my hair hovers just above my ankles, I don't think I ever really believed I'd get this far, even if I entertained the idea for how unrealistic it seemed. But it happened, all beginning from that snap decision to reclaim my hair and make it something I could be proud of again.

My roots in 2011 have grown down to become my ends in 2021, carrying with them the bleached highlights that started me down this path in the first place. So I'm reminded all the time of where I came from :lol: They won't last much longer as I carry on in my quest to reach floor length and then maintain until my hair is all virgin again. I hope to say I've reached that first goal by this time next year, as I'm so looking forward to break from growing and simply ~be~ a length for a while.

And of course, where would I be without LHC? I became a member about halfway through this journey, and it's made a world of difference. I'm here all the time, mostly reading, occasionally posting. After all these years, I'm just so grateful for everyone who remains active here keeping this community alive. I would not have a fraction of the resolve or confidence to go this far without the support I've received through my entire time at LHC.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46122&d=1634401511

lapushka
October 16th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Such a neat collage of your growth. Congrats on 10 years, and counting. :D

It looks amazing. :)

lunalocks
October 16th, 2021, 10:49 AM
Just, wow. I applaud your commitment!

Potauvert
October 16th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Congrats and what a success is this hairjourney ! You have beautiful hair :)

Shorty89
October 16th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Wow! What an amazing journey. Your hair is gorgeous.

Finda
October 16th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Also WOW! Inspiring and awesome:crush::thudpile::cake: Congrats on your anniversary:toast:

Starbunny
October 16th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Congratulations on a great journey!!

baanoo
October 16th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Lapis, happy anniversary my friend! :heartbeat

Thank you for sharing your story and heart with us. I’m delighted and inspired by your beautiful hair and journey from bsl towards floor.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 16th, 2021, 03:02 PM
Awesome - and congrats on 10 years, that' some achievement!

foreveryours
October 16th, 2021, 03:13 PM
Congratulations on your decision and 10 year followthru. That's some commitment!

:thudpile::thudpile::thudpile::thudpile::thudpile: :thudpile::thudpile::thudpile::thudpile::thudpile:

How tall are you?

Jane99
October 16th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Your hair is beautiful Lapis!! An inspiration. You can’t even tell there’s any bleach damage anymore, it’s been overtaken by your natural beautiful well cared for hair. Congratulations on your milestone!

lithostoic
October 16th, 2021, 07:33 PM
How wonderful :)

Dragon
October 16th, 2021, 11:13 PM
Congratulations on your achievement so far . My first thought when I saw the photo was, wow, thats pretty.

JasminxCat
October 16th, 2021, 11:56 PM
Congratulations. Your hair is lovely :)

Hexana
October 17th, 2021, 12:02 AM
That is quite an achievement! Congratulations! And we'll done on on the patiently trimming part. Not a lot of people would be so patient 🙂

lapis_lazuli
October 17th, 2021, 12:15 AM
Thank you all for your kind words, you're too sweet :heartbeat:flowers: :heartbeat

(snip) How tall are you?

Thanks, forever :) I'm 5'6". floor will be 71".... :whistle:

yulia396
October 17th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Congratulations! :blossom:

Hair as beautiful as yours is rare to find in the world :flower: I honestly don't have the words to describe your hair. "Beautiful" is a word too usual to describe it, it's.. - I don't have the words, even if I saw it in real life I would probably just stare and smile.

Being sucked into the modern world with APL,WL or HL hair , seeing your hair is almost a spiritual experience haha. It surely has opened a new world to many people who thought "long hair is impossible to reach/keep groomed". It shows that you took very good care of it, you treated it with a lot of love and that's very meaningful, way more than just a hobby :-)

Congratulations, again! Your photos always inspire me, your hair belongs to a museum. I can only hope that one day I will reach at least half of your length! :crush:

FaeBroom
October 17th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Wow! Is all I can say! The photos side by side are so amazing, and thank you for telling your story. You have such beautiful hair :thud:

illicitlizard
October 17th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Absolutely stunning hair lapis! And what an amazing journey to get there - congratulations on 10 years hair growing :flower:

Iyashikei
October 17th, 2021, 08:17 PM
Congratulations. And there is still bleach in there? You'd never say!

SleepyTangles
October 17th, 2021, 09:55 PM
Happy anniversary! Your journey is so inspiring :D
And yes, where would we all be without LHC and its lovely people :heart:

Bat
October 18th, 2021, 04:26 AM
Comes out of hiatus to congratulate you on 10 years looks like you got a racer saying hi to your ankles

Kibrah
October 18th, 2021, 09:29 AM
Stunning hair. Your care for it shows. Congratulations on your anniversary.

Cg
October 18th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Pretty amazing what ten years will do, isn't it? Congratulations on your beautiful progress!

Lady Stardust
October 18th, 2021, 03:42 PM
Wow congratulations on 10 years! Your hair is glorious :crush:

leafygreens18
October 18th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Such gorgeous hair and amazing progress!

secret soup
October 18th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Congratulations! That is some serious dedication! You're an inspiration :blossom:

MusicalSpoons
October 18th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Woot!! :cheer: amazing, your hair is gorgeous and ten years of patience is indeed inspiring! Congratulations! https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/240/whatsapp/273/partying-face_1f973.png

paulownia
October 18th, 2021, 11:35 PM
What a journey! Congratulations on the anniversary!;)
Your hair ìs beautiful and astonishingly long:blossom:

lapis_lazuli
October 19th, 2021, 12:04 AM
I don't know really what to say except thank you all so much :blushing: my brain may be a bit melted from exams currently, but I read and appreciate all of you :flowers:

Congratulations, again! Your photos always inspire me, your hair belongs to a museum. I can only hope that one day I will reach at least half of your length!

Thanks so much, yulia. Your words are always so thoughtful and encouraging :) I hope you reach all your hair dreams too :heartbeat

Wow! Is all I can say! The photos side by side are so amazing, and thank you for telling your story. You have such beautiful hair

Thank you! they were a bit of a pain to put together and line up correctly, but the end result was pretty satisfying haha

Comes out of hiatus to congratulate you on 10 years looks like you got a racer saying hi to your ankles

Yay, Bat! Thank you! :flower: It's always hard to tell in photos; in this one I got a bit offset from the camera. But in the shower I am starting to feel something on my ankles... :D

Pretty amazing what ten years will do, isn't it? Congratulations on your beautiful progress!

Thank you! It's the best I have to show for the last ten years too :lol:

Woot!! :cheer: amazing, your hair is gorgeous and ten years of patience is indeed inspiring! Congratulations!

Hehe, some years less patient than others! And as growing buddies, we're probably on a similar timeline too :thumbsup:

Mariekeeee14
October 19th, 2021, 12:56 AM
Thanks for sharing, you're such an inspiration. Congrats!

Jools69
October 19th, 2021, 02:28 AM
Well done on your growth! :cheer:

TatsuOni
October 19th, 2021, 10:18 AM
Congrats and thank you for sharing your beautiful hair and amazing journey! :cheer:

lapis_lazuli
October 20th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Thank you Marieke, Jools, and Tatsu! :flowers:

Dark40
October 24th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Congratulations on 10 years of your hairjourney! Your hair is gorgeous!

ipickee
October 25th, 2021, 11:26 AM
It looks so healthy! Congrats on the tremendous journey!

Stray_mind
October 25th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Congratulations! Your hair looks absolutely stunning. :crush:

C_Bookworm
October 25th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Congratulations! Such an inspiring journey. :crush:

luxurioushair
October 25th, 2021, 02:11 PM
Congratulations!

LittleMiss1565
October 25th, 2021, 03:54 PM
What a heartwarming story! I can't wait to finally be in a place like that with my hair. Kudos to you!

bparnell75
October 25th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Wonderful. Enjoy it all. You deserve it. What huge buns you must have!!