PDA

View Full Version : Blue black permanent dye over henna

catoala
October 6th, 2021, 06:35 PM
Hello :o

I dyed my hair with henna a long time ago and now, it grew out to about chin lenght (it's waist lenght) and the rest, from chin, its flaming red in sun.

HOWEVER. I dyed my hair black (2.0) and it was very nice for one wash or two, then it turned reddish... again? :confused:
So... i was wondering, if i dyed it blue black, would it cancel red? or turn green even though its permanent?... or should i go for 1.0 pure black to make it stick?

Thanks for any help, the colour is a mess in sunlight :rolleyes:

Obsidian
October 6th, 2021, 06:59 PM
The blue should help cancel out some of the orange but it probably won't cover it all. Make sure to do a strand test

lapushka
October 6th, 2021, 11:52 PM
The blue should help cancel out some of the orange but it probably won't cover it all. Make sure to do a strand test

Oh gosh yes so important. Be careful with blue black, though, it is not like your standard natural black. It's really harsh. Nice thing about it, it sets you apart! :) I remember using it a long time ago and it made me seem even paler and it was so hard to grow out, because try bleaching that out of your hair (plus with the henna already present in your lengths, I would not risk it). I mean, so yes: strand test! Wooh definitely.

Of all the dyes I used, blue black to me was my least favorite of them all, after henna and indigo. When I grew the blue black out (and my hair is not light by any means), it made my part seem like I had no hair. :shocked: Got tricky until I was past those first 3 inches!

I would just use natural black and see what it does after a number of months, and maybe then color again. But I would start using demis or semis instead of permanent! This way you can go back to your natural color in a breeze (just wait until it's all faded) and you won't have dye to bleach out.

Nothing covers up henna permanently anyway, so my doubts of the blue black being able to do it are definitely there.

browntatis
October 7th, 2021, 12:51 PM
I love jet black/ blue black hair. That's what I dyed my hair with for years! It makes your hair look very shiny and healthy.

I would recommend you use a clear Protein filler treatment and the apply the dye over it when you hair is dry.

You can find clear protein filler at sallys or any beauty supply, or online. It fills the pores of your hair so their dye can do an even job.

I used to use the brand "Colorful Neutral Protein Filler" with very good results.