PDA

View Full Version : Is there something about bunning that's physically moisturizing?!

Tangles
November 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have noticed for a long time now that when I bun my hair even for an hour every day, my hair is 100X more cooperative the rest of the day.

If I don't bun in the morning but only comb, my hair looks fine for a while but then looks ratty with dry ends, especially if it's windy, or rainy.

What is it about bunning that smooths hair so nicely? Is it the fact that the ends are in contact with small amounts of sebum? How does it WORK?!

jeno
November 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Have no idea! But I have similar experience, at least with damp hair. If my hair is completely dry there's no difference. if its damp I guess it dries more slowly and I think that's good for your hair, keeping it moisturized.

Tangles
November 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
No but see--I get the same smoothing benefits if I dry-bun!

jeno
November 14th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I have to try dry-bunning then! I will report the results when I have tried it out.

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I've noticed this too--dry or wet, I get smoother ends. I also found my ends looked great when I put all my hair into my helmet. I can't do that anymore though, as the newer helmets conform closely to the head, and all my hair up there affects the fit.

Tangles
November 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I've heard other people with my hairtype (flat and greasy on top, dry at ends) say this works for them too so there's got to be a scientific reason. All I can say is thank goodness for this effect, because I can't stand uneven oil distribution; it makes hair look SO unkempt :shake:

Sam-I-Am
November 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I love to damp-bun my hair soon after I wash it. It seems to keep it smoother and healthier.

Euphony
November 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Yep I get it too damp or dry. But I get a frizzy bit going on after my hair's been down a bit, it's probably the very humid climate I live in.

Not related to bunning, but over the summer hubby and I spent a week and a half on Mt. Hood in Oregon, it's drier there than where we live. I noticed my hair dried faster and was a bit straighter - I was impressed.

Tangles
November 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yes! I was in New Mexico once (beautiful state, btw) and my hair went to a perfect 1c. Dryness=straight hair.

jivete
November 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know, sometimes my ends look worse after I've bunned. Maybe my technique is bad....

Tangles
November 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I don't know, sometimes my ends look worse after I've bunned. Maybe my technique is bad....

You need to comb afterwards.

Euphony
November 14th, 2008, 02:05 PM
You need to comb afterwards.
I don't usually and it's fine. Granted I get bad flippy up ends, but that happens when it's down too (my butt's too big :D ).

jojo
November 14th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I find this too, its probably more smooth and cooperative because its contained and not flapping all over the place, normally sticking to lip gloss for me! Therefore the ends have not been ruffled by weather or tangled on clothes, bags etc!

Silver & Gold
November 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
My theory is that the individual scales of the hair shaft are compressed against the hair strand by the pressure of the twist/bun. This smoothes them down and keeps any moisture already in the hair inside the shaft rather than going into the air. So hair is shinier, more moist and silky. I think it works for dry hair because there is still some moisture in the hair that gets lost in the air during the day if it's not bunned. So in the case of loose hair the scales stand up a bit more, moisture condenses out of the hair shaft and the scales catch and tangle on each other. All making hair dryer and more knotty and frizzy.

spidermom
November 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM

My ends sometimes look bad, too. Other times, bunning my hair does make it very smooth with a pleasing wave pattern. I think it's because we get the hairs flowing together as we comb, twist and/or wrap the bun. I have to be very careful that the ends are not in any way scrunched or crossed up as I finish the bun or the ends will look terrible and be knotted when I shake the bun down later.

Tangles
November 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
My ends sometimes look bad, too. Other times, bunning my hair does make it very smooth with a pleasing wave pattern. I think it's because we get the hairs flowing together as we comb, twist and/or wrap the bun. I have to be very careful that the ends are not in any way scrunched or crossed up as I finish the bun or the ends will look terrible and be knotted when I shake the bun down later.

Yeah, I stopped twisting my hair when I put it up, results in more smoothness.

maliha
November 14th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yes I have noticed the same effects on my hair after bunning it ,,I tried it on damp and dry hair both and the results are smooth moisturised hair.
I think what Silver &Gold has explained is what it is :) and I do it everytime

Arctic_Mama
November 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I think it is because it trains the hair to temporarily lay the same way and the tension of the bun stretches the cuticle a bit, smoothing it. If your hair isn't under some tension it tends to spring up a smidge, even straight hair, and each strand does its own thing. Wet bunning sets them in a certain way, and they're all that SAME certain way, so the entire mass would seem more 'obedient' because they're strained into the same shape rather than doing their own thing.

That's just MY thought, anyway. It's like going to bed with rags in your hair. The cuticle maintains a shape to some degree until the hydrogen bonds are broken and reformed again, when wet. This is setting a smooth shape for curlies and a more voluminous shape for straights.

ladyfairington
November 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
i don't know what it is about bunning, but the same with me.

if i bun for at least an hour, my hair is also more cooperative and shinier too.

i usually brush the ends so they don't look so twisted ( from the bun ), but other then that, my hair is much healthier looking.

smells good too. <3!

CaityBear
November 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Sometimes my ends look bad, but not health wise. They just get twisted weird and they look all dry and funny.

I find that if I bun my hair when it's 80% it really helps keep my hair smoother and still gives me a couple waves.

Magicknthenight
November 15th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Sometimes my ends look bad, but not health wise. They just get twisted weird and they look all dry and funny.
I want to try damp bunning but this is something i worry about. I have put it up before wet and get a bunch of kinks. But this time I'm going to do something that doesn't require twisting. Wrapping..yes. Is it better to bun it when its more dry or wet? I guess i will after it stops dripping?

ladyfairington
November 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
i think it has something to do with moisture.

when you bun your hair, you're sealing in all that moisture that's on your hair, making it lie flat and get smooth. <3!

Magicknthenight
November 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I'm trying this right now. I let it dry a little then put it up. But it gave me a really bad headache so now i have it in a lower bun by my neck. Its a little better. I did notice my hair seemed straighter when i took it down but i don't know if that's because i finger combed it when it was wet.

HotRag
November 16th, 2008, 02:00 AM
i think it has something to do with moisture.

when you bun your hair, you're sealing in all that moisture that's on your hair, making it lie flat and get smooth. <3!
I think so to.
When hair is free, all of the hairs surface is in contact with air - can loose moisture (vaporizing), and can caught lint that dries.

I can notice a different after having hair in bun, also when bunned dry.

Maybe the texture of bunned hair, holds moisture better also, like a cloth in opposite to loose yarn threads.

I can also see that if I over oil, it absorbes and soakes better if loose than if its braided.
Maybe the oil (and moisture) also get lost to clothes and furniture and so on.

Dreamernz
November 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Yes i think it definitely has to do with the type of bun you use, maybe we should try out different ones and see which one works best? :D

1nuitblanche
November 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Maybe it's related to hair picking up textures. Regardless of whether it's wet or dry, my hair will have some braid waves if I put in braids and take them out later. Similarly, whenever I bun my hair, it comes down smoother. When it's down, it starts to go every which way, because maybe the breeze is shaping it.

neon-dream
November 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I think it's just because the hair's more protected :)
xxx

Periwinkle
November 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I've noticed that. I've always thought that it's just because it 'holds' the hairs in a certain place (like using rollers), so they've almost been styled smooth.

akka naeda
November 16th, 2008, 12:02 PM
It's because the hair's not rubbing on anything. Over the summer I wore my hair in a swirly bun with the ends loose not wrapped round the bun, which meant they were about waist length on me. I learnt what people mean by velcro hair, which is never something I had before, and not something I want again.

Everything else was as usual - same oiling technique (a bit applied to the ends morning and night), combed and plaited at night, and the same washing technique using the same S&C.

Tangles
November 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ooh we need to a do a "what type of bun works best" for:

straight, sleek result
wavy result
curly result

etc.

Vitalai
November 16th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I've noticed this, too. I stayed at my aunt's house for a couple days and they had no conditioner. My hair felt like velcro, but after putting it in a bun, it was smoother and healthier-feeling.

Magicknthenight
November 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM

straight, sleek result
wavy result
curly result

etc.
That sounds like a good idea.

I tried wet bunning yesterday. It is still damp today. Doesn't feel much different. It does feel a bit thicker but i think that's because all the kinks i got. Maybe i did the wrong kind of bun because my ends are all flippy too.
ETA: Are you supposed to keep it in a bun for a while then take it back down?

plainjanegirl
November 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM

straight, sleek result
wavy result
curly result

etc.

That sounds like a neat idea!

Longlove
November 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
When bunning, how do you all wrap and secure the ends to keep them from getting frizzy, knotted, etc.?

Darkhorse1
November 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I think silver and gold may have the answer. It lays the cuticles flatter. We know that flat cuticles cause more shine and softeness. I'm also wondering if it can help with the heat from your head and the oils.

Katze
November 17th, 2008, 04:25 AM
When bunning, how do you all wrap and secure the ends to keep them from getting frizzy, knotted, etc.?

I don't really bun, but loosely coil my hair on top of my head (really on top - close to my forehead!) and secure with a claw clip. If I were to make a 'real' bun my ends would get terribly knotted and kinked.

Scrunchies work too but I have found they fall out.

I've been doing this for about a week now and am really happy at the volume and wave I am getting, and the overall better condition of my hair even though I am wearing it down. I sleep better, too.