PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fine tangly hair!

Lesley8
October 4th, 2021, 01:29 PM
Hi im looking for any advice on products I can try on my fine easily tangled hair, it's at its worst when I wash it, it just gets so tangled,I use sulfate and silicone free products, I do use oils especially after washing and before bed. I also seem to get a build up of products quickly and also wonder if I need to wash it more than 1x weekly. Any help from you lovely people would be great!

FaeBroom
October 4th, 2021, 02:33 PM
I know it may seem counterintuitive, but do you know you absolutely do not like sulfates? I have really tangly hair but it is easier to manage if I alternate my washing with a sulfate shampoo. I only wash about 2x per week so perhaps its not the washing frequency, it's what you're washing with?

aloewurly
October 4th, 2021, 02:39 PM
If you get a lot of tangles, cutting out silicones may be counterproductive. They get a bad rap for building up on hair, but it's really blown out of proportion!
My point is, for tangle-prone hair, the slip and protection from friction silicones give is almost unmatchable, in my opinion. Oils have a similar effect to silicones, but they may be causing the buildup you mention, specially if you dont regularly clarify them out!

Zesty
October 4th, 2021, 03:01 PM
I second both of the above. Silicone serum for example can be a lot lighter than many oils and do wonders for tangles. I've been using a product called "ghost oil" (verb is the brand) that's specifically marketed to be light, and I can use a little every day without buildup, even without regular sulfate use. I'm not saying you have to buy that specific product of course, but just as an example.

And if you get buildup then regular clarifying with a sulfate shampoo can be beneficial as well. Buildup can easily make tangles worse.

Sulfates and silicones might genuinely not be your thing, but if your current products aren't doing the job then it's worth exploring imo.

Lesley8
October 4th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. The only reason I don't use sulfate is I always thought it was drying for my hair so I went to sulfate free but when I wash it just becomes so tangled, I think I have an oil from loreal that has silicone in it but haven't properly tried that yet. I usually clarify monthly but I think I'm going to have to do it more often. I'm definitely going to look at something different silicone conditioner is probably going to be something to buy and I'll maybe buy a sulfate shampoo and try that weekly for clarifying.

Glitch
October 4th, 2021, 03:54 PM
My hair is definitely on the finer side, and I also give my vote to the silicones! Without it, my hair would tangle to its doom! I've found that the stronger the silicone, the better condition my hair is in. Good luck with the experiments! :flower:

foreveryours
October 4th, 2021, 04:23 PM
My hair actually measures borderline M/F, is dry, and tangles instantly in the presence of water (a hallmark of "dry" hair).

Try letting your hair dry first and oiling before trying to "detangle" it. I've found doing so really amazing. It's so easy.

I don't use silicones, not because I avoid them but just haven't found them useful to me anymore

MusicalSpoons
October 4th, 2021, 04:59 PM
I have borderline F/M hair, and I note we have the same texture. I honestly don't try to detangle until about day 3 or 4 after a wash, because my hair much prefers to stay in its clumps. The texture calms down after a few days, then I can detangle fairly okay, but better with oil as foreveryours suggests - but if I oil on dry hair it has to be a heavy oiling otherwise it attracts lint, which = fatal tangles, so I don't do that until I'm nearing my next full wash (which could be anywhere between 2 to 3 weeks).

I agree that exploring silicones and sulphates could be helpful too. I discovered texture after going cone-free, and I much prefer that for my hair, but I do occasionally wonder if they would help a bit. I'm not bothered enough by it to try going back though, mainly because by the time I detangle it has calmed down and is doable. I currently use sulphates on my roots for full washes (and a water-soluble silicone in one conditioner, halfway through the list of ingredients) and actually I think the top of my hair is harder to get through than when I used sulphate-free, because it cleans more thoroughly and is a lot more puffy/frizzy! I dunno :rolleyes:

lapushka
October 4th, 2021, 04:59 PM
The thing is you can get mountains of tangles if you don't clarify once in a while, which in essence is washing with a sulfate shampoo. About once a month to 2 times a month should be fine.

Sulfates are a little more drying, it just depends on the formula because I have known people react saying hey this sulfate-free shampoo is more stripping than anything. So it depends.

Also, I myself needed to use silicones after BSL, I just could not do it anymore, I could not get through my hair to save my life.

Maybe try switching up your routine, at least washing with a sulfate once, see what that does! And use plenty of conditioner after. Shampoo is for washing, your conditioner is responsible for bringing moisture back in.

Lesley8
October 5th, 2021, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the help.
I think I'm going to buy a silicone conditioner just to give it a try, the real issue is when mine tangles after washing I have started getting a lot of tiny knots that just won't loosen! So I think I'll try something different. I also use oil before detangling and only when my hair is nearly dry, it probably is what I'm using I have changed to shea moisture maybe it's not suitable for my hair.
Thanks again you've all gave me great tips.

JasminxCat
October 5th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the help.
I think I'm going to buy a silicone conditioner just to give it a try, the real issue is when mine tangles after washing I have started getting a lot of tiny knots that just won't loosen! So I think I'll try something different. I also use oil before detangling and only when my hair is nearly dry, it probably is what I'm using I have changed to shea moisture maybe it's not suitable for my hair.

Shea moisture has the same affect on my hair
Except for their Marfura & Honey Mask, which I do like

lapushka
October 5th, 2021, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the help.

If you are going to be taking the step towards silicones, you *have to* use sulfates, or that is barely going to come out. Milder washes might do the trick, yes, but not with all silicones. So please beware of that, you do not want to make things worse.

I would clarify-wash first, see what that does! It is the first thing we always say to people on here!

foreveryours
October 5th, 2021, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the help.

Silicones are far more slippery than oil and may work for you.

But I think water, even dampness, is your problem. Try waiting until your hair is abolutely dry (even if you have to use a blow dryer) before oiling it (or siliconing it) and detangling from the ends upward and inch or so at a time.

1) Wet hair is more "flexible" than dry hair. Thread, being extremely flexible forms tight knots easier than say fishing line which is stiffer and has a persistence length much longer than thread. Consequently, it doesn't knot as easily.
2) Water is not a good lubricant for hair. It causes the hair shaft to swell and raises the fiber's scales. This makes hair strands "rougher" so they can't slide against one another as eaily.

So steer clear of water. :p

For me, those tiny knots at the ends are rare, and of those, maybe one out of a hundred I'll have to cut free. The others very easily pick apart with fingernails.

Lesley8
October 5th, 2021, 01:36 PM
@Lapushka I kinda thought about that but wasn't sure thanks I'll definitely try clarifying first and see how it feels after that because my hair feels like it has build up on it towards my ends.
@foreveryours Thank you that's really helpful information for me and I'll definitely try what you've said sounds good. :)

baanoo
October 5th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Lesley, I have super fine hair that used to tangle like you would not believe.

It still ~can~ tangle like that but it’s rare, like being out in a wild windstorm with my hair down while wearing a scarf around my neck and a wool sweater. :why:

Here is what has helped reduce tangles for me: OCWCC (the do-it-all method :lol:) every other wash or so - once a week/every two weeks using at least one conditioner with silicones. Clarify once every 6-8 weeks. Use a coney leave in. Wring it out and then add a bit of almond or avocado oil. When it’s a little damp, finger comb or wide tooth comb and then scrunch it back gently to let the hair relax.

Lesley8
October 6th, 2021, 12:51 AM
Lesley, I have super fine hair that used to tangle like you would not believe.

It still ~can~ tangle like that but it’s rare, like being out in a wild windstorm with my hair down while wearing a scarf around my neck and a wool sweater. :why:

Here is what has helped reduce tangles for me: OCWCC (the do-it-all method :lol:) every other wash or so - once a week/every two weeks using at least one conditioner with silicones. Clarify once every 6-8 weeks. Use a coney leave in. Wring it out and then add a bit of almond or avocado oil. When it’s a little damp, finger comb or wide tooth comb and then scrunch it back gently to let the hair relax.

Thanks for this, I'm going to give this a try when I wash it this weekend hopefully it will work for me :)