PDA

View Full Version : What do you find the most youngish looking hairstyle?

Priska
October 3rd, 2021, 02:15 AM
Straight or curly? Dark or light? Long or a little bit shorter?

I only know that dry hair looks older than shiny... 😁

Priska
October 3rd, 2021, 02:17 AM
..yes and of course you can also have a blending of different colours in your head in same time...

TatsuOni
October 3rd, 2021, 02:40 AM
Straight or curly? Dark or light? Long or a little bit shorter?

I only know that dry hair looks older than shiny... ��

I do not agree on that last part.

As for what makes people looks older or younger, is very individual. Not everyone looks the same in the same hairstyle.

elfs
October 3rd, 2021, 03:21 AM
It depends on what you mean by young, exactly.. like a healthy youthful look?

lapushka
October 3rd, 2021, 04:39 AM
I... don't think there's an answer to that, really. :)

Aunt Rapunzel
October 3rd, 2021, 06:45 AM
When I read the title of the thread, my mind immediately thought, "Pigtails" as a young hairstyle. But reading the actual question...For me those qualifiers (long, short, straight, curly, dark, light) really don't impact my opinion of what looks younger or older as a whole. Different colors and lengths look different on every person. So I guess I'd have to agree with Lapushka on this one, and say that for me there really isn't an answer to that question.

Ylva
October 3rd, 2021, 07:21 AM
It really depends on the individual and what suits them, but for me, personally, it would have to be a chin-length bob with straight-across bangs. So many children are cut into that style (that sounds a bit grotesque but I like it so I'll leave it like that!), and I was no exception myself, so there's just a very strong association in place for me.

JasminxCat
October 3rd, 2021, 12:34 PM
On me, personally, collarbone length with heavy layers and straight across bangs

Glitch
October 3rd, 2021, 01:03 PM
Yep, another vote for straight across bangs. Of course, so much depends on the individuals own features, too!

Priska
October 5th, 2021, 12:27 AM
It's true that I can't tell which hairstyle makes the most youthful appearance... that's why I hoped somebody else could tell me 😂

But also it's true that with different styles same person can look very much older and younger. Well. If that has any significance. To me it unfortunately does... I guess I just must try different styles and take pictures 🤔

For long time I've thought that long, curly hair makes you look young. Then I saw a woman who before had this kind of hair, now in straight, orange bob cut and she looked way younger this way. This confused me because I think that normally doesn't work like that... (I always would like to understand everything)

Lady Stardust
October 5th, 2021, 12:53 AM
It's true that I can't tell which hairstyle makes the most youthful appearance... that's why I hoped somebody else could tell me ��

But also it's true that with different styles same person can look very much older and younger. Well. If that has any significance. To me it unfortunately does... I guess I just must try different styles and take pictures ��

For long time I've thought that long, curly hair makes you look young. Then I saw a woman who before had this kind of hair, now in straight, orange bob cut and she looked way younger this way. This confused me because I think that normaali doesn't work like that... (I always would like to understand everything)

It’s possibly the change that made you think she looked younger, rather than the style.

I had mid length hair for many years and than had it cut short into a pixie. People who had known me with longer hair said I looked younger. I had the pixie cut for a few years and some people had never seen me with longer hair. Then I grew it and people said I looked younger :) It’s just because it was different.

Kat
October 5th, 2021, 07:03 AM
I think it depends on whether we're talking about "hairstyles that make the person look younger" or "hairstyles that society deems as 'young' or being 'for kids' and hence they may assume anyone wearing it is young and/or childish, regardless of whether the person *actually* looks young," if that makes sense. The former is more likely to be individual as a person; the latter would depend on the society in question (in the U.S., probably involve the aforementioned pigtails/double braids, long hair left down {or, to some people, long hair at all}, etc.).

GoddesJourney
October 5th, 2021, 07:14 AM
When I think young as a younger adult, I think trendy styles. I also, having grown up by the beach, associate teens to 20s with waistish, straightened, layered hair. A lot of it is either naturally or artificially highlighted.

If we're talking about kids, I think of finer hair in styles that are easy for parents. Pigtails, ponytails and very short hair with blunt bangs that doesn't need to be pulled back. Also, because of where I grew up, a lot of Hispanic/Latin girls with thick braids.

0xalis
October 6th, 2021, 01:10 PM
For me personally I associate my childhood with long hair worn loose, when I was really young I always had bangs but I grew them out for a few years as I approached the age where I chopped it all off (11th birthday)
But absolutely WRT chin length bob with bangs, as well as pigtails (ponys or braids!), I see those both as very youthful as well.

Texture and color have nothing to do with it for me! Even grey hair can be "youthful" now because dying it grey was quite trendy for a few years.

GoddesJourney
October 6th, 2021, 09:09 PM
For me personally I associate my childhood with long hair worn loose, when I was really young I always had bangs but I grew them out for a few years as I approached the age where I chopped it all off (11th birthday)
But absolutely WRT chin length bob with bangs, as well as pigtails (ponys or braids!), I see those both as very youthful as well.

Texture and color have nothing to do with it for me! Even grey hair can be "youthful" now because dying it grey was quite trendy for a few years.

This is true. I did have my hair loose most of the time when I was a kid. It's a funny thing when you're a kid. Hair in your face doesn't bother you and you can still see. Playing in cold water doesn't seem to affect you. Hot weather doesn't send you back inside. It's amazing.

NaïaTheWitch
November 10th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Long blonde hair is usually associated with youth/children. But really it depends for everyone. Blonde hair doesn’t suits everyone and can make some people look older or sick. It’s better to find something that suits skintone and face shape.

Doomy Daisy
November 10th, 2021, 01:57 PM
I had a chin-length bob and straight across bangs for a loooong time as a child. So yeah, that's it for me :o

shelomit
November 11th, 2021, 07:39 PM
I grew up in an area where a lot of our neighbors were in the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. It was common for the younger girls to wear a single braid, but to decorate it with one barrette placed along the center of the scalp near the "root" of the braid. These days, roughly the same hairstyle seems to be popular as "business casual" wear--but whenever I see someone whose hair is done that way, it still makes me feel as though they ought to be six years old because I associate it so strongly with those little neighbor girls of ours XD

blushy
November 11th, 2021, 08:23 PM
Hmmm this is hard cause it’s so subjective, haha! What comes to mind for me is like…really damaged, funky colored hair. It reminds me of a high school/ college girl who does their hair in their dorm room with drugstore hair dye hahaha

No matter how old someone is, colorful hair screams youthful, fun and carefree :o

Kat
November 11th, 2021, 08:47 PM
I grew up in an area where a lot of our neighbors were in the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. It was common for the younger girls to wear a single braid, but to decorate it with one barrette placed along the center of the scalp near the "root" of the braid. These days, roughly the same hairstyle seems to be popular as "business casual" wear--but whenever I see someone whose hair is done that way, it still makes me feel as though they ought to be six years old because I associate it so strongly with those little neighbor girls of ours XD

This is largely how I "accessorize" my hair, because I can't think of another way to wear a pretty clip or barrette with my hair in a braid. I fear it probably looks odd, but it's pretty much a choice of either putting it there, or not wearing it...

(Though, the other day I had four sparkly barrettes down the length of my braid, but that probably also looked pretty weird.)

BuddhaBelle
November 12th, 2021, 12:38 AM
Fringes definitely make me look older, which I would’ve imagined is the other way around.

My bob made me look the youngest for some reason.

illicitlizard
November 13th, 2021, 07:24 AM
Hmmm this is hard cause it’s so subjective, haha! What comes to mind for me is like…really damaged, funky colored hair. It reminds me of a high school/ college girl who does their hair in their dorm room with drugstore hair dye hahaha

No matter how old someone is, colorful hair screams youthful, fun and carefree :o

Oh man this one really resonated with me, super fried, really long roots, and bright colours (particularly if they look not super well maintained) just instantly transports me back to my teens. That was when those funky dyes started to become all the rage where I live. Now I see a lot of lovely examples of brights but they're mostly (definitely not all) done by hairstylists - which obviously cost a lot so out of reach for many students. Not to say that you're ever too old to experiment with fun colours at home. Feels like people are moving away from the idea that being over a certain age means you need to eschew all your hobbies and stop having fun with hair colours etc because you're "too old", which I love.

In answer to the question, of course I'll chime in with the obvious pigtails especially high up on the sides of the head. I don't think texture really has anything to do with whether someone looks young or not. It's more the overall appearance than dull/shiny, curly/straight IMO.
Another one that ages people rather than makes them look young now I think of it is a side pony - don't see those much anymore.

Kat
November 13th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Oh man this one really resonated with me, super fried, really long roots, and bright colours (particularly if they look not super well maintained) just instantly transports me back to my teens. That was when those funky dyes started to become all the rage where I live. Now I see a lot of lovely examples of brights but they're mostly (definitely not all) done by hairstylists - which obviously cost a lot so out of reach for many students. Not to say that you're ever too old to experiment with fun colours at home. Feels like people are moving away from the idea that being over a certain age means you need to eschew all your hobbies and stop having fun with hair colours etc because you're "too old", which I love.

I think that's probably why you're seeing more "professional" dye jobs? As people get older, it may be socially-acceptable for them to have dyed hair, but probably not so socially-acceptable to have bad dye jobs, or hair that's been destroyed by bad bleaching or dye jobs, etc. (Besides the fact that hopefully they have more disposable income than a college student by that time.)

drake
November 21st, 2021, 03:53 AM
I never paid much attention to this before growing my hair out. Long hair definitely makes me look older than short hair and others have commented on it a lot. I also feel like different styles make me look older or younger, but I'm sure it is different for everyone. I kind of like that I look older as someone with a baby face.

Sarah P
November 23rd, 2021, 04:00 PM