PDA

View Full Version : Is it a must to cut dry ends away or can you improve them? ...

Priska
September 30th, 2021, 07:43 AM
I'm not using any especially miraculous treatments but I anyway have been taking better care of my hair lately and I think my dry ends don't look so dry anymore. Is It some herecy to think that I don't need to cut them? .. 😉

spidermom
September 30th, 2021, 08:04 AM
You don't have to cut them, but you can't really heal them. However, you can develop a routine that makes them feel and behave better, but you have to keep it up.

lapushka
September 30th, 2021, 08:57 AM
I'm not using any especially miraculous treatments but I anyway have been taking better care of my hair lately and I think my dry ends don't look so dry anymore. Is It some herecy to think that I don't need to cut them? .. ��

Just moisturize better, that's all; the oil rinse method might work, link is in my signature. Just remember don't overuse stuff, a couple drops of oil is more than enough before conditioner and after shampoo. Anyway, the details are in the thread. :)

A leave-in after washing might do wonders too.

There actually never is a reason to cut ends off, ever. Unless you have splits in over half your hair, then: yes, otherwise? Nope.

Cg
September 30th, 2021, 09:30 AM
.... There actually never is a reason to cut ends off, ever. Unless you have splits in over half your hair, then: yes, otherwise? Nope.

There is one reason: if you want your hemline to be blunt and even, you have to regularly cut off uneven ends. If you don't mind the uneven way hair grows naturally, no, no need to trim.

Aunt Rapunzel
September 30th, 2021, 10:06 AM
Just moisturize better, that's all; the oil rinse method might work, link is in my signature. Just remember don't overuse stuff, a couple drops of oil is more than enough before conditioner and after shampoo. Anyway, the details are in the thread. :)

A leave-in after washing might do wonders too.

Totally agree. If the ends are just dry, all they should need is some extra care and moisturizing. My ends had been dry, and I've used aloe (on a regular basis), L'Oreal's No Haircut Cream (castor oil based, and is a WONDERFUL leave-in), and some basic oils. The No Haircut Cream is one that I use almost nightly on the ends of my hair, and it has made a HUGE difference. So if you just have dry ends and they're otherwise healthy, some extra care to them should be all they need.

firewerky
September 30th, 2021, 01:51 PM
You can't fix split ends but if they are just dry - I don't see the problem. My ends are getting dry after henna and during winter/really hot summer. Try some oil treatment or masks and never forget to protect your ends with serum. I'd love to recommend you some of my favourite products but I don't know your hair type and where are you from but I'm sure you'll make it up

Belgrade Beauty
September 30th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Dry and split are different things. dry you can fix, split needs to be chopped. We here use the s&d method,rather than trim the lot off.

Dark40
September 30th, 2021, 10:03 PM
I agree with Belgrade Beauty.

Hedwig
October 1st, 2021, 12:37 AM
Try doing a deep conditioning treatment once a week for a few weeks, that should help :) What’s been really working for recently is going back to products with silicones in them. I would also recommend getting a leave in conditioner that you put in your hair (the ends) after you wash & condition. Dry ends can definitely be fixed though! My hair was super dry after spending the summer under the mediterranean sun and it took some deep conditioning but now it’s back to normal for the most part.

baanoo
October 1st, 2021, 05:48 AM
… My hair was super dry after spending the summer under the mediterranean sun ...

Ah, sigh, such a delightful reason for dry ends. :o

GoddesJourney
October 1st, 2021, 09:29 AM
Dry and split are different things. dry you can fix, split needs to be chopped. We here use the s&d method,rather than trim the lot off.

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

You can help the dry ends by applying conditioner or oil that your hair agrees with to dry hair, just like that on the ends. You can rinse it out and you don't have to leave it in for hours. Just let it soak in a bit and then rinse it out and go about your life.

Finda
October 1st, 2021, 01:17 PM
In case you're going to go for the fairy tale ends: My hair hasn't seen scissors in two, three years and I just ignore split ends for now. With protective handling and a cony hair oil, the damage doesn't grow up, at least not en masse, and can be masked to some extent. Had I cut every split I'd still be trying to reach bsl. I guess it all depends on how you want your hemline to look. If your hair is getting more damaged than you're comfortable with it's probably time for a cut.

Priska
October 2nd, 2021, 11:23 AM
Thank you all for answers🤗 What is s&d method?

Saldana
October 2nd, 2021, 11:36 AM
Nope, you don't have to ever cut your hair in any way if you don't want to. Conversely, it is also absolutely completely okay to cut your hair if you want to. Your body, your rules. If the dryness of your ends is bothering you, and historically it's gotten better with a trim, then do that if you want to. If you really don't want to cut or trim, but the dryness is bothering you, try oiling the ends and keeping your hair in an updo. There is no heresy. :)

Saldana
October 2nd, 2021, 11:37 AM
S&D stands for Search and Destroy. Basically, sit in bright light with a pair of very sharp scissors, and pick through your hair ends to find splits. When you find one, snip it off. It can be very satisfying.

Zesty
October 2nd, 2021, 05:07 PM
Products can certainly do a lot to improve your ends, especially if they're not actually split or broken. No need to cut them if you're satisfied with how they feel.