PDA

View Full Version : Thinning hair at ends

beckybourbon
September 28th, 2021, 10:55 PM
Hello! Does anybody here have hair that thins out at the bottom? I just trimmed me hair because of it, but it still looks thinner at the ends. How do I get that blunt look that healthy hair has? Thanks :)

akurah
September 28th, 2021, 10:59 PM
What you're observing is called fairytale ends. Having fairytale ends does not mean your hair is not healthy.

Healthy hair can be blunt, but it is not blunt by default. Blunt hair is almost always cut hair, and the longer your hair grows, the harder it may be to keep blunt ends. It's not impossible, but it's not nearly as common as people might think.

beckybourbon
September 28th, 2021, 11:06 PM
Thank you for the input! So to keep that ‘blunt’ look, do I need to trim it a teeny bit all the time?

akurah
September 28th, 2021, 11:12 PM
Thank you for the input! So to keep that ‘blunt’ look, do I need to trim it a teeny bit all the time?

Yes, that's the easiest way. Be advised, if you're going for ultra length (past tailbone or so, maybe fingertip length), unless you are extraordinarily blessed in genetics, the hair will not be blunt. Likewise, updos are harder to do with blunt ends.

illicitlizard
September 29th, 2021, 02:55 AM
Hello! Does anybody here have hair that thins out at the bottom? I just trimmed me hair because of it, but it still looks thinner at the ends. How do I get that blunt look that healthy hair has? Thanks :)

I agree with akurah- fairytale ends aren't an indication of unhealthy hair, just a side effect of growing longer hair. Although the appearance of fairytale ends can occur if your hair is damaged at the ends and breaking off, I think it looks a bit different. For the look of maximum thickness at the ends, protect from mechanical damage and don't get layers.

If you don't like fairytale ends, trimming is the only way to prevent them. Which unfortunately means it'll take longer to get longer hair. It's also difficult to get long hair without some amount of fairytaling, I've seen it at as short as APL and most people at longer lengths will have fairytale ends!

I personally like to keep a blunt hemline so I've been trimming every ~6 months. Updos are harder to do with blunt hair that's also true, but it's all down to personal preference!

Jools69
September 29th, 2021, 03:23 AM
I have thinner hair at the ends due to having layers, as well as having fine thin hair. I’m slowing growing out the layers by trimming twice a year and S & D the layers, as I want to keep the length.

I think micro-trimming is good if you want to keep or eventually achieve a blunt, thicker, or even hemline. I wouldn’t drastically cut back to where it’s at the thickest though, as there’s no guarantees that it wouldn’t thin out again as it grows back.

lapushka
September 29th, 2021, 04:00 AM
It honestly depends on each individual, and how your hair grows. If it considerably thins out *every time*, that's just the way it goes. Yes, thickness can travel down, but it takes a while, best thing for it is to then microtrim like akurah already mentioned. But there are those whose hair will *always* fairytale beyond a certain point, and then there's fairly little you can do.

IMO (not saying you are, OP) but we as a whole are far too obsessed with blunt aka "healthy" as dubbed by hairstylists ends. Fairytale ends are healthy too, they just look differently and hairdressers call those ends "dead" for all the wrong reasons.

Aunt Rapunzel
September 29th, 2021, 07:57 AM
I agree with what's been said as well. It doesn't necessarily mean that your hair isn't healthy. There are some things that can help, though! Because sometimes those thinning ends can be helped. Sometimes it's due to breakage or lack of hydration, or brushing/combing too roughly, or use/overuse of straightening tools. (Not saying that this is the case with you, mind you!) But be sure to give those ends extra care. Be gentle when combing/brushing, always starting from the ends and slowly working your way up. I put a leave in conditioner on my ends each night - whether it's aloe, or a true leave-in, I always put a moisturizer of some sort. (One of my absolute favorites is from L'Oreal. Their Elvive Dream Length No Cut Cream is fantastic!) Also, braiding too tightly can cause breakage. This may all be information that you already know, so if it is, my apologies. But these are things I learned much later in life, so it doesn't hurt to share! :)

Cg
September 29th, 2021, 08:44 AM
.... So to keep that ‘blunt’ look, do I need to trim it a teeny bit all the time?

I do and always have. For me it is the perfect way to keep a blunt hemline while growing the length. How often you trim will depend on your hair's growth rate, but if you trim consistently, you need not cut too much off at any one time.

Zesty
September 29th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Hair naturally tends to thin towards the ends as it gets longer, to a greater or lesser degree depending on genetics, care, how it's been cut (e.g. V cut vs straight across, layers or not), etc. It's partly because of how your individual hairs shed at different lengths and times -- not all your hairs will reach your hemline. It doesn't necessarily mean your hair isn't healthy! And especially at classic+ lengths, it's inevitable for a lot of people. If you prefer your hemline to be thicker and blunter you'll want to get regular trims and baby those ends to avoid breakage.

beckybourbon
September 29th, 2021, 10:25 AM

Thank you everyone! I always thought it meant my hair was unhealthy! I definitely take care of my hair so I don’t think damage is the problem. I definitely will be taking more care of my ends though so I can possibly keep that ‘blunt’ look. But we’ll see. Maybe I’ll just have to accept the fairytale ends. Thank you for all your feedback!:cheer:

spidermom
September 29th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Bottom line - yes, to keep blunt ends, you have to trim. You may not have to trim very often, though. Some people's hair grows unevenly, so the ends look thinned out pretty fast. Other people's hair grows more evenly, so the ends will stay on the thick side longer. The only way to find out what your hair does is try to go as long as you can without a trim while taking as good of care of your hair as you can.

NaïaTheWitch
November 10th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Same thing here. Saw on the forum some people saying that it can be caused by infrequent trim/cut. Still trying to find the trimming routine. ( next year I’ll try to trim about a big inch every 6 months so twice ) hope that it’ll fix my issue here.