PDA

View Full Version : The specific recommendations thread

LadyFortuna
September 28th, 2021, 09:18 AM
(couldn’t find a thread like this, if there is one already please direct me to it and take this down)

I often want to ask for very specific product recommendations or advice but don’t feel like starting an entire thread just dedicated to that. So here is a thread where we all can both ask for and give recommendations. Odds are someone’s looking for the same thing you are so you might find something good just scrolling through!

Of course as with everything YMMV, so try stuff at your own risk ;) Looking forward to soaking up everyone’s hair wisdom like a good DT!

I guess I’ll start with a question of my own - Any recommendations for a leave-in with cones that doesn’t weigh down fine hair too much?

Aunt Rapunzel
September 28th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Well, I can't say how this would work on fine hair, but my hair LOVES L'oreal's Elvive Dreamlength No Haircut Cream. It has castor oil in it, but it's a very light cream and makes my hair feel amazingly soft. It's far less frizzy, with more defined waves and a few spirals thrown in now. And if feels much more hydrated. I love it! And it doesn't take a lot. I use a very small amount. Like I said, I don't know if it would weigh down fine hair, but it doesn't weigh mine down at all.

LadyFortuna
September 28th, 2021, 09:43 AM
Well, I can't say how this would work on fine hair, but my hair LOVES L'oreal's Elvive Dreamlength No Haircut Cream. It has castor oil in it, but it's a very light cream and makes my hair feel amazingly soft. It's far less frizzy, with more defined waves and a few spirals thrown in now. And if feels much more hydrated. I love it! And it doesn't take a lot. I use a very small amount. Like I said, I don't know if it would weigh down fine hair, but it doesn't weigh mine down at all.

Thank you I’ll look into it!

lapushka
September 28th, 2021, 11:09 AM
(couldn’t find a thread like this, if there is one already please direct me to it and take this down)

I often want to ask for very specific product recommendations or advice but don’t feel like starting an entire thread just dedicated to that. So here is a thread where we all can both ask for and give recommendations. Odds are someone’s looking for the same thing you are so you might find something good just scrolling through!

Of course as with everything YMMV, so try stuff at your own risk ;) Looking forward to soaking up everyone’s hair wisdom like a good DT!

I guess I’ll start with a question of my own - Any recommendations for a leave-in with cones that doesn’t weigh down fine hair too much?

The JBCO (Jamaican black castor oil) leave-in by Shea Moisture.

It is not "light", but also not heavy, it depends on the amount that you use. I dip my finger in, scoop a tiny bit out, spread it between palms and scrunch it into classic length hair.

Shorter? Pea size, coin size. But it is an awesome product!

sipnsun
September 28th, 2021, 12:31 PM
Biolage Leave-In Tonic was my favorite for many years and I only gave it up when I decided to try sulfate/cone free for awhile. I haven't found anything cone free that works as well and it never weighed down my hair or left a residue. (Maybe it's time to go back to using cones!)

LadyFortuna
September 28th, 2021, 03:09 PM
The JBCO (Jamaican black castor oil) leave-in by Shea Moisture.

It is not "light", but also not heavy, it depends on the amount that you use. I dip my finger in, scoop a tiny bit out, spread it between palms and scrunch it into classic length hair.

Shorter? Pea size, coin size. But it is an awesome product!

Biolage Leave-In Tonic was my favorite for many years and I only gave it up when I decided to try sulfate/cone free for awhile. I haven't found anything cone free that works as well and it never weighed down my hair or left a residue. (Maybe it's time to go back to using cones!)

Thanks! Both sound promising, really excited to check them out now

The-Young-Maid
September 28th, 2021, 05:40 PM
I'm currently using Cowboy Magic detangler and it's nice and light. I can never use too much of it! Nice mild scent too.

Diana Prince
September 29th, 2021, 12:22 AM
Olaplex no. 6 is my HG leave-in conditioner. It's very thick and concentrated so I use very little of it, and it makes my hair so smooth and not weighted down at all.

FaeBroom
September 29th, 2021, 02:02 PM

I love the Joico K Pak color therapy oil. I believe for 'cones it just has dimethicone in it, which is very light. Also argan oil, which I also see recommended for fine hair. Either way, just a dab spread around my hands is perfect and doesn't make my hair look oily, but also slicks down any flyaways and lessens tangles.

NicoleLionne
September 29th, 2021, 11:38 PM
Seconding Diana Prince, My favourites are Olaplex 6 and 7. Olaplex 6 feels slightly heavier for me and a teeny tiny bit already goes a long way. Olaplex 7 is an oil/silicone serum and is hands down the best thing I have tried for my damaged ends. My hair is medium and quite a lot of it, so my experience may not be 100% the same. But I gave a bottle to my sister in law who has extremely fine hair and I thickness and she absolutely loves it. I also quite like Giovanni's Direct Leave-in (Weightless Moisture). That one is my HG when my hair just needs hydration and nothing else, it's super light and not oily or sticky at all.