PDA

View Full Version : Growing your hair back after an ED

LadyFortuna
September 14th, 2021, 03:39 AM
The threads I found about this topic where old so I figured I'd start another one. Let's keep this hair focused, please don't mention weight or numbers, thank you <3

I was stuck with thin broken hair at about APL many years due to an ED. I hated it so much and started bleaching and dying it crazy colors just to distract from how bad it looked. A while into my recovery I dyed it back to natural and chopped it to shoulders to finally start growing back my long healthy hair that I missed so much. I's such a good motivation for me to keep taking care of myself because I know I'll never have the hair I want otherwise. It's so rewarding to see it get thicker and longer, a very visual expression of my self love.

Never thought I'd have my hair back but now I finally feel like I'm on my way there. Even though this is such a positive journey I know it can include a lot of frustration, hopelessness, and grief, so let's do it together and motivate each other.

lapis_lazuli
September 14th, 2021, 04:16 PM
I'm recovered as much as someone with an ED ever recovers. My hair is a testament to what my body can do when it's healthy. If I hadn't invested so much into growing it, I know it'd be a lot easier for me to relapse. I do feel it gives me strength to persist.
Safe journey :blossom::)

NicoleLionne
September 15th, 2021, 12:07 AM
Same as lapis_lazuli, I'm as recovered as possible. Although I don't have her incredible hair haha. Ironically, due to my ADHD medication I'm having a hard time eating enough. It's weird and difficult to have to (again) eat a lot more than is comfortable. (Is that okay to mention? I'll edit it out otherwise, it's just a bit of a struggle atm.) My hair is and has been a big motivator to stay healthy as well.

Back then I lost about half of the circumference of my hair and it got very brittle, fortunately it has all grown back healthy. But I still remember the battle with the broken hairs and split-ends. MSM powder was a great help to grow my nails and hair out stronger, and generally making sure you get all your vitamins and minerals. Cheering you on your recovery (and everyone who reads this)!:cheer:

LadyFortuna
September 15th, 2021, 03:21 AM
That’s so lovely to hear! And your hair truly is gorgeous.

LadyFortuna
September 15th, 2021, 03:26 AM
Wow I’m actually in the exact same position! I try to get in a big breakfast before I take my meds. And yeah that’s totally fine I just figured we should keep specific weights and numbers out of this as that’s the most triggering thing for a lot of people to hear.

Thank you for sharing, so happy to hear you’re doing good. Will definitely have a look at MSM powder as well!

Decemberrose
September 15th, 2021, 04:06 AM
Recovered as well. I did not lose that much hair. But I found that a protein rich diet and keeping hydrated did make my hair grow faster again after a stall. I keep my hair moisturised and up all the time. Helps a lot. 🤗

foreveryours
September 15th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear your road to recovery has been paved with success. But what is an ED? :confused:

Kathie
September 15th, 2021, 10:37 PM
Glad to hear your road to recovery has been paved with success. But what is an ED? :confused:

I have been thinking the same thing! I even googled it... "recovering from and ED". I'm fairly confident its not googles top suggestions.

What ever it is, it sounds serious. I'm glad that you have a thread to support each other while you recover :flower:

Kathie
September 15th, 2021, 11:54 PM
I have been thinking the same thing! I even googled it... "recovering from and ED". I'm fairly confident its not googles top suggestions.

What ever it is, it sounds serious. I'm glad that you have a thread to support each other while you recover :flower:

Oh! "Click" Eating disorder?

I'm sorry to hear you went / are going through this :flower:

foreveryours
September 16th, 2021, 03:17 AM
Eating Disorder makes sense. Thought it might be Emotional Distress from university precipitated by a Doctor of Education :p

LadyFortuna
September 16th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Eating Disorder makes sense. Thought it might be Emotional Distress from university precipitated by a Doctor of Education :p

Yes eating disorder! Emotional distress haha that’s funny though. And wow your hair is amazing!

LadyFortuna
September 16th, 2021, 07:53 AM
Oh! "Click" Eating disorder?

I'm sorry to hear you went / are going through this :flower:

Thank you, we all have our struggles. It’s all about working on growth and improvement, in life and hair. :)

Jaeie
September 18th, 2021, 12:07 AM
Sometimes growing my hair feels like the only reason I take care of myself and eat well. There are many days I don't want to eat at all, and then remember that I have to eat, or else my hair won't grow :p I guess I'll count that as a win.

lapushka
September 18th, 2021, 03:45 AM
Sometimes growing my hair feels like the only reason I take care of myself and eat well. There are many days I don't want to eat at all, and then remember that I have to eat, or else my hair won't grow :p I guess I'll count that as a win.

Yeah, but I would not solely rely on that (not saying you are), because what if one day your hair stops being as important? It's a bit of a slippery slope if you ask me. But good luck to you! :)

Bat
September 18th, 2021, 04:37 AM
Deffinatletly not ere[CENSORED] disfunction. Good luck with your recovery

LadyFortuna
September 18th, 2021, 09:56 AM

Yeah it’s good motivation. Really enjoying having better hair, an actual working brain, and my personality back. I was very mean and bitter in the midst of my ED haha. Keep pushing through, recovery is worth it and the best thing you will ever do (both for yourself and your hair ;)

LadyFortuna
September 18th, 2021, 09:57 AM

Haha yes definitely not!

LadyFortuna
September 18th, 2021, 09:57 AM
Also I’m trying to find a multivitamin that doesn’t make me super nauseous? Any recommendations or tips?

foreveryours
September 18th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Don't take a multivitamin on an empty stomach. They make me nauseous too unless I eat something, even a slice of bread or a banana

Jane99
September 18th, 2021, 10:42 AM
I’ve never had an ED, but I definitely eat significantly less (these days) when I get very depressed or anxious. Fruit smoothies with high protein yogurt is my go-to when I don’t feel like I have the energy to chew.

Congratulations on everyone’s journey in recovery!

Julie8844
November 21st, 2021, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry you faced this problem and I wish you a fast recovery. My friend also struggled to grow her hair back after ED. I read that depending on a person's age, genetic makeup, and other developmental factors, regular hair growth will most likely return to normal after a person maintains nutritional stabilization for six months or more. It took my friend almost a year. I hope you will recover faster.

Julie8844
November 21st, 2021, 09:36 AM
One more note. It might be helpful to check the anorexia recovery/treatment sites. people share their experiences there. But my advice is to not take any suggested meds and supplements as they can be harmful to your health. Address a doctor or check the info about them online (I use the SPAM site for this purpose). By the way, do you take any supplements or vitamins that work for you?

oldrocker
November 21st, 2021, 10:14 AM

great minds think alike....all those ads for 'that ED' mess with your mind, eh?

O.R.

Laurab
November 21st, 2021, 03:03 PM
I'm always happy to hear stories of recovery. I work in the mental health field, and I'd love to work in an ED clinic once I'm liscenced. In addition to mental health I'm very interested in exercise and nutrition, as well as the beauty and fashion industry, and all of that relates to the feild. Of course, each person struggling with an ED will have a unique story. It's a hard world to live in.

But anyway, I know recovery is no joke. The physical and emotional toll it can take on a person is a lot to go through, and I think finding small things to appreciate along the way is a lovely thing to do.

In general, I feel this forum does a great job focusing on appreciating what you have and enjoying it. People are great about building one another up, and some comments I've read on here have helped me stop saying negative things about my hair. I'm sure your hair already looks good, and I'm excited for you to be even happier with it in the future!