View Full Version : Are hairdressers biased?

Stardreamer
September 10th, 2021, 11:43 PM
I'm considering bangs and I have an oval face shape so technically any style of bangs would suit me. I was wanting a hairdresser's opinion on what style of bangs would suit me etc, would a hairdresser give an honest opinion or do they just want your money?

NicoleLionne
September 11th, 2021, 12:19 AM
I think it depends on the hairdresser. Some of my friends have horror stories, but I've personally never experienced that. I've gotten bangs quite a few times in my life and my hairdressers have all been very helpful. It may help to go to a salon that's slightly higher end if that's possible, often they care more about the relationship with their customers than instant money. Most budget cuts salons put pressure on their hairdressers to cut as many clients as possible in a day (at least that's what my aunt told me and why she decided to open her own hair salon).

If possible I rather get a small trim first and see how I like the salon and the hairdresser. And I try to read as many reviews as I can, instagram is a great place for that as well.
Hope it helps and good luck! I have an oval face too and have never regretted getting bangs.:)

illicitlizard
September 11th, 2021, 12:25 AM
Well, everyone is biased by my estimation. I think a good hairdresser would tell you which type of fringe would best suit you - with a consultation that takes into account your texture, forehead size, willingness to style, personality.
Cutting in bangs isn't particularly lucrative, so I think they'd be less likely to be dishonest than if you were after, for example, a massive colour change.

They are probably more likely to steer you towards "trendy" bang styles, especially if your face shape is considered versatile. In the past I've found stylists have been good at warning me off types of fringe that wouldn't work for me.

Glitch
September 11th, 2021, 01:01 AM
I think it really just depends on the person. One time I wanted a very major haircut, wanted like 8+ inches gone. My stylist wouldn't agree to do it though and said that drastic changes are easy to regret and can often be a temporary desire. I asked anyway but she just wouldn't do it. In summary, I'm glad we didn't go that route, because the style I wanted was indeed a temporary inclination for me and I definitely would have regretted it! She truly favoured my hair and I over the money.

On the other hand, I've had stylists force their own preferences (or monetary desires, who knows) on me, like heavily suggesting layers over and over despite me saying I hate them on myself and especially hate dealing with them :( I've had them cut in without permission before because one of them went ahead with it anyway... ugh.

Additionally, it's important to keep in mind that everyone has different perspectives on what looks good on others. Overall, I think it's best to get multiple opinions and if possible, see for yourself by trying on some wigs or clip in bangs etc. that are similar to what you're curious about. :flower:

Lady Stardust
September 11th, 2021, 02:05 AM
Whenever I’ve decided to change to a new hairdresser I’ve gone to the salon and asked them to chat to me about what they would do, before I even book an appointment. Sometimes they’re busy and I need to arrange a time to pop in to see them. If they’re not willing to do that for me, I go somewhere else.

Some of the trendy hairdressers will be biased in that they want their clients to leave the salon wearing the latest trend - for example a particular chain of salons might have a “new collection” of styles, and if they’re trying out a new hemline or fringe style they will offer it to their clients. However a good hairdresser should consider what actually suits the client and their lifestyle, and if the latest trend doesn’t suit them they should disregard it.

lapushka
September 11th, 2021, 03:49 AM
I would not leave it up to someone else to tell me what suits me, but maybe that's just my rebel-streak. LOL Because you see, I don't trust anyone to tell me what's best for me.

I would also not get caught up with all that faceshape / does it suit me.

I would go by hair texture. Curly bangs? They would have to allow for shrinkage so if your hairdresser does not understand shrinkage they are going to cut them straight if you don't speak up. That's one thing I know for sure!

Other than that, I don't think, personally you even want to touch bangs with textured hair, but that's my bias.

Bat
September 11th, 2021, 05:59 PM
I'm doing hairdressing and we take into account trends, lifestyle ( if you have time to style it everyday), face shape, bone structures, dominant, prominent features, texture of the hair growth patterns like double crown cowlicks and also if you wear glasses or not. But ultimately it's up to you what you want. Find pictures with bangs etc that has a similar texture to yours, it will help. And remember you don't have to do what they suggest it's to help you with possible options

lapushka
September 12th, 2021, 04:49 AM
I'm doing hairdressing and we take into account trends, lifestyle ( if you have time to style it everyday), face shape, bone structures, dominant, prominent features, texture of the hair growth patterns like double crown cowlicks and also if you wear glasses or not. But ultimately it's up to you what you want. Find pictures with bangs etc that has a similar texture to yours, it will help. And remember you don't have to do what they suggest it's to help you with possible options

Had no idea! :D That's awesome! :)
Should we "spare" hairstylists more, you think? ;) :p I mean, I try to word things nicely but most stylists in my past, I wasn't the biggest fan of, that's just my experience!

Guitargod
September 12th, 2021, 10:17 AM
I don't remember the last time I saw a hairdresser with long hair. I tend to not worry too much about their opinions 🤣

lapushka
September 12th, 2021, 12:56 PM
I don't remember the last time I saw a hairdresser with long hair. I tend to not worry too much about their opinions ��

Hey there, nice to see you again! :)

Iyashikei
September 12th, 2021, 08:27 PM
I think everyone is biased to a certain degree and hairdressers are no exception. The only difference is that they made hair their job. If they are any good they might tell you they think your vision for your hair is not what they have in mind of you but ultimately put said bias aside, or at least that's my opinion.

WinterMayhem
September 12th, 2021, 11:40 PM
I've always been told I look better with shorter hair, and read everything that tells me that really long, dark hair ages me.

I'll keep my long, dark hair as long as I wish! Anyone who says differently can go away. 😊

poli
September 13th, 2021, 12:13 AM
In my opinion it comes down to communication skills. I failed to explain what I want so many times and it's not hairdressers fault. As for bangs bringing photos is a great idea and remembering to tell a person your exact hair texture and how you plan to style or "not to style" your fringe.
In my case this two things are important because my hair tends to flip out at eye level so blunt bangs have to be cut curtain style to work best and I like it air dried and flat so it can be cut shorter than bangs that get styled with big round brush.

GordonMurphella
September 13th, 2021, 04:48 AM
I think everyone is biased to a certain degree and hairdressers are no exception. The only difference is that they made hair their job. If they are any good they might tell you they think your vision for your hair is not what they have in mind of you but ultimately put said bias aside, or at least that's my opinion.

Yes. This. Here, pats seat, you can sit next to me.

lapushka
September 13th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Yes. This. Here, pats seat, you can sit next to me.

If, if they are any good. In my past history with hairdressers, there were 0 you could have a conversation with regarding hair that did not result in, "let's cut it to here (pointing to chin or shoulder)". So... there's that.

Stardreamer
September 13th, 2021, 07:45 PM
I would not leave it up to someone else to tell me what suits me, but maybe that's just my rebel-streak. LOL Because you see, I don't trust anyone to tell me what's best for me.

I would also not get caught up with all that faceshape / does it suit me.

I would go by hair texture. Curly bangs? They would have to allow for shrinkage so if your hairdresser does not understand shrinkage they are going to cut them straight if you don't speak up. That's one thing I know for sure!

Other than that, I don't think, personally you even want to touch bangs with textured hair, but that's my bias.

I found a way of straightening part of my hair naturally! I always put it in a ponytail to dry so it straightens several inches of my hair, so if I had bangs this would straighten them.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I want bangs like this character: https://www.google.com/search?q=aerith&rlz=1C1GCEA_enNZ872NZ872&sxsrf=AOaemvKji7yBRhhDPwBgmNBTZYiKZycy9Q:163158381 5144&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_8-Otq_3yAhWQyDgGHdYXCxAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1840&bih=867
Basically I want face-framing bangs because my head looks like an egg because I always put my poofy curly hair into a braid. This character has a long braid too so I figured why not look exactly like her since I love her too hahaha. What would you call this style of bangs? Curtain bangs?

illicitlizard
September 13th, 2021, 08:10 PM
Yeah I'd call them curtain bangs, they seem relatively thick too. Bring a picture in and see if you can find similar images to complement it so the stylist gets a good idea of the style you want!

I'm slightly dubious that your bangs would get enough tension on them to straighten, especially since they won't reach a ponytail if that's how you're pulling your hair flat at the moment.

Bat
September 13th, 2021, 09:15 PM
Had no idea! :D That's awesome! :)
Should we "spare" hairstylists more, you think? ;) :p I mean, I try to word things nicely but most stylists in my past, I wasn't the biggest fan of, that's just my experience!

I agree with you most are trim happy, we need more pro long hair stylists out there. Not sure how I'll cope if someone with long hair comes in and wants to chop it off xD

Stardreamer
September 14th, 2021, 02:51 AM
Yeah I'd call them curtain bangs, they seem relatively thick too. Bring a picture in and see if you can find similar images to complement it so the stylist gets a good idea of the style you want!

I'm slightly dubious that your bangs would get enough tension on them to straighten, especially since they won't reach a ponytail if that's how you're pulling your hair flat at the moment.

Bobby pins must work surely?

illicitlizard
September 14th, 2021, 07:54 AM
Bobby pins must work surely?

Maybe! I'm not entirely sure, maybe someone who knows more about straightening hair will have a more concrete answer I'm really just guessing.

spidermom
September 14th, 2021, 01:30 PM
Well of course hair stylists want your money. That is how they've chosen to support themselves and often their families. Money makes the world go 'round!

I think they'll give you their honest opinion, but it is, in the end, just one opinion out of countless others. I once posted a picture of myself with haircut suggestions, and no two opinions were the same. Well, maybe a few were the same.

Allorapisma
September 15th, 2021, 04:18 PM
I think it really just depends on the person. One time I wanted a very major haircut, wanted like 8+ inches gone. My stylist wouldn't agree to do it though and said that drastic changes are easy to regret and can often be a temporary desire. I asked anyway but she just wouldn't do it. In summary, I'm glad we didn't go that route, because the style I wanted was indeed a temporary inclination for me and I definitely would have regretted it! She truly favoured my hair and I over the money.

She sounds amazing! I wish I had a hairstylist like that!