PDA

View Full Version : Nape Hair

Rebecky
September 8th, 2021, 07:20 AM
I used to think salon workers were cutting side and nape pieces into my hair but I quit salons years ago. Does anyone talk about how to work with/grow short nape and side hair?

lapushka
September 8th, 2021, 07:52 AM
I used to think salon workers were cutting side and nape pieces into my hair but I quit salons years ago. Does anyone talk about how to work with/grow short nape and side hair?

Take a look at this. It's not just the nape, you get these short pieces all over your hairline, front to back. It's perfectly normal, and apart from slicking them back with some gel, there's not much you can do!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

SleepyTangles
September 8th, 2021, 10:53 AM
I mostly keep them, I enjoy the way they look. I do, however, occasionally shave two very annoying bits that stray very far from the hairline: it's not a big loss, they are super feathery and blonde, and never grow more than two centimeters in year... But they constantly get snagged in necklaces or collars, so once a year I will take out the trimmer and clean them out.

SleepyTangles
September 8th, 2021, 11:00 AM
I mostly keep them, I enjoy the way they look. I do, however, occasionally shave two very annoying bits that stray very far from the hairline: it's not a big loss, they are super feathery and blonde, and never grow more than two centimeters in year... But they constantly get snagged in necklaces or collars, so once a year I will take out the trimmer and clean them out.

ETA: if your hair is still on the shorter side I wouldn't suggest changing your nape hairline: you may involuntary cut important hair.
I think it's easier when you already know how your hair behaves. I know that those hair just can't grow long because I had few years to monitor their growth, so I know I won't regret shaving them.

Kathie
September 8th, 2021, 02:54 PM
I prefer to let them be. They definitely don't grow as long as the rest if my hair. They are also really fine and like to ringlet, which I like.

Ashtaroth
September 8th, 2021, 05:34 PM
I did find that changing to a silk pillowcase has resulted in my nape wispies growing longer than they have before. Still there though.

MoonLady
September 8th, 2021, 05:42 PM
Sometimes, it's breakage. Especially if you wear your hair up a lot. I had a lot of short nape and side pieces when I wore my hair in a low bun everyday. But I vary my hairstyles way more nowadays and they've grown out enough to fit in the ponytail holder now. I also used to sleep on cotton pillowcases, but now use a bonnet every night, so less breakage in my sleep.

foreveryours
September 8th, 2021, 05:46 PM
It's very difficult to shave them off yourself and not cut into "real" hair past the hairline which then has to grow out so I just let mine alone too.