PDA

View Full Version : A Work Related Dilemma

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 09:46 AM
So, I thought about putting this in random questions but it's so specific and I really am looking for some advice or, I dunno, encouragement/reassurance?
Has anyone else been faced with this sort of dilemma before?

I'm starting a new job next week in a school for children with Autism. This week I completed my induction and we needed to learn self-defense and restraint as sometimes children and young people with Autism can exhibit challenging behaviour when they are anxious, and this can include physical violence. I'm feeling prepared for that and aware it may not be a regular thing, but one of the things we learnt has shaken me up a little and I am a tad worried.

I am told that if a person grabs my hair (which does happen unfortunately) either at the scalp or elsewhere such as a ponytail, this can be one of the most dangerous acts as they could shake the head, break vertebrae in the neck and cause paralysis or even death. I have learned defense techniques to counter a hair grab, but I just want to make sure I am wearing my hair in the safest way possible in case of this happening. I may be working with children aged 4 - 19 so some may be smaller than me and others may be much taller.

Apparently most staff wear their hair in a ponytail, but as mine is getting longer now I'd rather avoid this for two reasons; a) Longer ponytail may be more tempting/easier to grab and b) I really don't want to damage my hair by putting it in a ponytail everyday for work. I've heard that those plastic spiral things are less damaging but I'm not convinced they would stay in my hair and also I don't really like buying plastic (environmental considerations).

I like to wear my hair in a stick bun but apparently this may also increase the chances of my hair being grabbed and also any hair accessories can be a point of interest for the children I work with (apparently if hair clips/slides are used the children will often try to pull them out). I'm rubbish with bobby pins and buns..

I've thought of a French braid but then I think a braid close the scalp would give fingers more purchase which would be harder to dislodge if someone were to grab my hair, plus I'd still have a long braid to do something with. I may just wear an English braid to start with, but as my hair gets longer I can see this getting in the way too.

I really want this job so looking for some other line of work currently isn't an option, I'm starting to feel like I should just keep my hair shorter and wear it up in a ponytail - but that does make me sad as I am enjoying growing my hair long. I've tried having this conversation with other people but they don't really understand why I care so much about my hair, and perhaps I am being silly or overthinking, but I thought perhaps you guys may be empathetic to my dilemma and be able to offer a perspective or some advice I haven't considered yet?

Do I just wear the ponytail and accept that my hair will get damaged? They give me headaches too though so I'm not even sure if I could do that every day.
The whole thing is stressing me out rather a lot :/

neko_kawaii
September 5th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Is there something that you didn't mention that is preventing you from learning to do buns with pins?

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Is there something that you didn't mention that is preventing you from learning to do buns with pins?

Sadly I've tried and tried and I just can't get the hang of it, and when I pull the pins out they always drag out a bunch of hair with them. I've tried the old fashioned one's too but they just fall right back out too :/ I also have a shoulder problem and struggle to have my arms up for a long period of time (French braids are also sometimes problematic for this reason).

SparrowWings
September 5th, 2021, 09:59 AM
This probably falls under the same category as accessories, but... Could you cover whatever style you use with a scarf? Maybe it would at least be slippery enough to make it harder for them to get any purchase, even if they do make a grab for it. And if so, it would delay the ability to grab actual hair, giving you a chance to react first. If it's a neutral hair color, perhaps it won't attract as much attention as a colorful barrette?

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 10:01 AM
This probably falls under the same category as accessories, but... Could you cover whatever style you use with a scarf? Maybe it would at least be slippery enough to make it harder for them to get any purchase, even if they do make a grab for it. And if so, it would delay the ability to grab actual hair, giving you a chance to react first. If it's a neutral hair color, perhaps it won't attract as much attention as a colorful barrette?

Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought of. I've no idea how I'd go about it but that's certainly something to consider! Thank you :)

Chromis
September 5th, 2021, 10:01 AM
I have trouble getting it right with bobby pins and Amish pins too and have to use what feels like nine zillion of them. I would suggest perhaps trying spin pins since many here really like them and they are cheap. Shorter hairforks might be a good option too, so that they are mostly covered by hair. The horn ones are a cheap way to try this or you can make them out of bent double pointed knitting needles. More expensive, but most secure would be a Ficcare in a colour very close to your own. IME usually they are going to grab for anything dangling, poking out, or that looks flashy. Think about kittens with really good reach....and thumbs.

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 10:04 AM
I have trouble getting it right with bobby pins and Amish pins too and have to use what feels like nine zillion of them. I would suggest perhaps trying spin pins since many here really like them and they are cheap. Shorter hairforks might be a good option too, so that they are mostly covered by hair. The horn ones are a cheap way to try this or you can make them out of bent double pointed knitting needles. More expensive, but most secure would be a Ficcare in a colour very close to your own. IME usually they are going to grab for anything dangling, poking out, or that looks flashy. Think about kittens with really good reach....and thumbs.

Ah, I hadn't seen the spin pins but perhaps I can give them a go too. I do have a few wooden hairsticks I've made so the colours are neutral and one of those is quite short and plain. I'm wondering if perhaps that one would be suitable ..

neko_kawaii
September 5th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Another option in the category of short forks are large U pins. Nothing sticks out to grab on to.

yulia396
September 5th, 2021, 10:37 AM
There definitely must be solutions. My best bet would also be scarves, pretty neutral ones that have the color of your hair, nothing too fancy to grab attention. You either cover your whole bun with a scarf or you use a scarf to make the bun. You can also use a ribbon this way, but hide its ends/tuck them in.

Another option could be a very nicely secured french twist, which is basically like short hair. Here is a tutorial, but you can find tons of this hairstyle: https://youtu.be/3Ow2IQnvYio These can be also made with claw clips, comb clips, hairsticks to your liking.

If it's winter time maybe you can wear a beanie and tuck your hair in it (you can also secure the beanie with bobby pins). You could also tuck your hair in a baseball cap or any kind of hat - but maybe hats attract attention so this wouldn't be a good option.

You could also try a fauce bob, like the ones here: https://youtu.be/nFuZ1_s_ZAk / https://youtu.be/4DXlqF6NSs8 But maybe they aren't a very solid hairstyle so it's silly of me to suggest this.

It's hard to find solutions but they definitely exist, if something doesn't work, move on and try another thing. Just don't give up - try to master a safe and comfortable updo and don't cut your hair! If nothing works, I would even suggest doing a research about wigs (how to use them safely, how to care for your hair under the wig, how to find a good one) in order to save the years of hair growth you already have. You put so much effort into it and it's so pretty. I believe our profession/jobs are one of the most important things in life, but that shouldn't diminish the importance of your goal of reaching TBL :flower:

Edit: maybe even "toys" like these could help (I've never tried any of these): https://youtu.be/UH7GoBWYRq8 / or the donut bun thingy https://youtu.be/M6pR0eCySes

yulia396
September 5th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Another option in the category of short forks are large U pins. Nothing sticks out to grab on to.

Oh, yes! Forks are definitely one of the best options

akurah
September 5th, 2021, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't use forks or sticks. Those can be used as weapons. I really can't stress that enough. I'm surprised nobody else has called this out. And pins made of bent knitting needles would also fall into the "too big can be used as weapon" category. I am not kidding here, those are bad, bad, bad ideas.

Claw clips, spin pins, short pins. Braiding the hair before bunning will make it easier to use the shorter pins. You can also do hair sewing with ribbons to secure the hair. There are also things like pony scrubs you could wear, or hair nets like what cooks wear, to keep the hair in a tidy little bun or ball.

yulia396
September 5th, 2021, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't use forks or sticks. Those can be used as weapons. I really can't stress that enough. I'm surprised nobody else has called this out. And pins made of bent knitting needles would also fall into the "too big can be used as weapon" category. I am not kidding here, those are bad, bad, bad ideas.

Forks are vvvery stable. With various techniques, they can be hidden in the hair. If she puts them in her hair like a pro, nobody will take them out in 100 years! :laugh:

lapushka
September 5th, 2021, 11:31 AM
I would bun and use spin pins. Make sure nothing sticks out like forks or hairsticks, because it might be "inviting" to them. Keep your hair up and out of the way and you'll have 0 issues, I'm sure!

AmaryllisRed
September 5th, 2021, 11:35 AM
Yeah I'd say a bun with spin pins or small claw clips. And a hairnet or a neutral bun cover.

Kat
September 5th, 2021, 11:37 AM
I've thought of a French braid but then I think a braid close the scalp would give fingers more purchase which would be harder to dislodge if someone were to grab my hair, plus I'd still have a long braid to do something with. I may just wear an English braid to start with, but as my hair gets longer I can see this getting in the way too.

Tucked French braid. IMO, a French braid would be difficult to grab (Dutch, not so much, as there's something sticking out to grab). Or, what about a crown braid or Heidi braids?

This is a good idea, as they would simply grab the scarf and pull it off-- similar to if someone grabs your jacket and you just shrug out of it.

I wouldn't use forks or sticks. Those can be used as weapons. I really can't stress that enough. I'm surprised nobody else has called this out. And pins made of bent knitting needles would also fall into the "too big can be used as weapon" category. I am not kidding here, those are bad, bad, bad ideas..

Yes, definitely. One of the side reasons for double-pointed knitting needles making good hairsticks is because I could easily use it as a weapon if I needed to.

I tend to like the Good Hair Days (https://www.google.com/search?q=good+hair+days+pins&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHq6C4r-jyAhUTbs0KHcboAFoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1391&bih=794) pins; they hold a lot more hair than bobby pins, more securely than Amish pins (because the prongs "meet" in the middle), I can buy them in real stores without having to pay/wait for shipping from an online store, and they are all I will wear for putting my hair in a protective bun for skating, and that's because they're plastic and I figure if I fall on them, they will break before they impale my head (or, in your case, if someone tries to use them as a weapon, they may break before they hurt you too badly).

Jane99
September 5th, 2021, 11:44 AM
I worked with people with developmental disabilities for several years and definitely lost a lot of hair. My hair was a lot shorter then, probably between shoulder and APL. I used claw clips a lot. I would be nervous about a french braid because some of the people I worked with grabbed hair closer to the scalp and I would think with french braids it would be harder to get fingers out of braided hair close to the scalp. I agree with the sentiment of no sticks. The handkerchief idea sounds like it would help

akurah
September 5th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Forks are vvvery stable. With various techniques, they can be hidden in the hair. If she puts them in her hair like a pro, nobody will take them out in 100 years! :laugh:

Hiding it does you no good if someone GRABBED the hair. You can feel them.

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 11:54 AM

Would this work with a LWB or would you suggest something else? LWB is the only one I know atm but I can always learn others that may be better :)

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 11:56 AM
There definitely must be solutions. My best bet would also be scarves, pretty neutral ones that have the color of your hair, nothing too fancy to grab attention. You either cover your whole bun with a scarf or you use a scarf to make the bun. You can also use a ribbon this way, but hide its ends/tuck them in.

Another option could be a very nicely secured french twist, which is basically like short hair. Here is a tutorial, but you can find tons of this hairstyle: https://youtu.be/3Ow2IQnvYio These can be also made with claw clips, comb clips, hairsticks to your liking.

If it's winter time maybe you can wear a beanie and tuck your hair in it (you can also secure the beanie with bobby pins). You could also tuck your hair in a baseball cap or any kind of hat - but maybe hats attract attention so this wouldn't be a good option.

You could also try a fauce bob, like the ones here: https://youtu.be/nFuZ1_s_ZAk / https://youtu.be/4DXlqF6NSs8 But maybe they aren't a very solid hairstyle so it's silly of me to suggest this.

It's hard to find solutions but they definitely exist, if something doesn't work, move on and try another thing. Just don't give up - try to master a safe and comfortable updo and don't cut your hair! If nothing works, I would even suggest doing a research about wigs (how to use them safely, how to care for your hair under the wig, how to find a good one) in order to save the years of hair growth you already have. You put so much effort into it and it's so pretty. I believe our profession/jobs are one of the most important things in life, but that shouldn't diminish the importance of your goal of reaching TBL :flower:

Edit: maybe even "toys" like these could help (I've never tried any of these): https://youtu.be/UH7GoBWYRq8 / or the donut bun thingy https://youtu.be/M6pR0eCySes

Thank you so much for all of those suggestions! I'll have a good look through and definitely see what I can achieve with a scarf if I can find something suitable.

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 12:02 PM

Claw clips, spin pins, short pins. Braiding the hair before bunning will make it easier to use the shorter pins. You can also do hair sewing with ribbons to secure the hair. There are also things like pony scrubs you could wear, or hair nets like what cooks wear, to keep the hair in a tidy little bun or ball.

Yeah I've thought about the weapon issue too but apparently none of the kids at the school at the moment seem to be that way inclined. Of course I realise that may not remain the case, but my wooden hairstick is probably less dangerous than a pencil for example.. it's much thicker and blunter. I definitely do need to avoid anything sharp though.

I'm wary of weaving/sewing anything into my hair at it makes it harder to get fingers out that may grab on :/ I'm wary of braids in general for this reason :/

Pony scrub could be a good shout if I am allowed to wear that within the school, but I'm not sure. I'm a bit funny with hats though as I also have sensory issues, so I'd have to see if I could tolerate it too.

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 12:04 PM

Haha.. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing anything with my hair 'like a pro' :P
But seriously, thank you for the idea's!

Bugg
September 5th, 2021, 12:17 PM
I would bun and use spin pins. Make sure nothing sticks out like forks or hairsticks, because it might be "inviting" to them. Keep your hair up and out of the way and you'll have 0 issues, I'm sure!

Yeah I'd say a bun with spin pins or small claw clips. And a hairnet or a neutral bun cover.

Tucked French braid. IMO, a French braid would be difficult to grab (Dutch, not so much, as there's something sticking out to grab). Or, what about a crown braid or Heidi braids?

This is a good idea, as they would simply grab the scarf and pull it off-- similar to if someone grabs your jacket and you just shrug out of it.
Yes, definitely. One of the side reasons for double-pointed knitting needles making good hairsticks is because I could easily use it as a weapon if I needed to.

I tend to like the Good Hair Days (https://www.google.com/search?q=good+hair+days+pins&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHq6C4r-jyAhUTbs0KHcboAFoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1391&bih=794) pins; they hold a lot more hair than bobby pins, more securely than Amish pins (because the prongs "meet" in the middle), I can buy them in real stores without having to pay/wait for shipping from an online store, and they are all I will wear for putting my hair in a protective bun for skating, and that's because they're plastic and I figure if I fall on them, they will break before they impale my head (or, in your case, if someone tries to use them as a weapon, they may break before they hurt you too badly).

I worked with people with developmental disabilities for several years and definitely lost a lot of hair. My hair was a lot shorter then, probably between shoulder and APL. I used claw clips a lot. I would be nervous about a french braid because some of the people I worked with grabbed hair closer to the scalp and I would think with french braids it would be harder to get fingers out of braided hair close to the scalp. I agree with the sentiment of no sticks. The handkerchief idea sounds like it would help

I think I will look into getting some spin pins and see how to use them. I'm not sure if claw clips may be too inviting, one of the girls from the school I was speaking to mentioned them as something to avoid. I'm thinking the scarf idea could be good if it's something I'm allowed and can find in a neutral colour etc, as long as it's not weaved into my hair though. I am very wary of braids as apparently there are cases of the children grabbing hair at the scalp. I've never seen those Good Hair Days pins here in the UK but I'll have a look into those too, thank you :)

If I bun I think I do need something that is 'quick release' in the event someone grabs it - that's gonna make it easier to break free probably. I'll have to have a look and see if there is a scarf method that would work with this.

yulia396
September 5th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Haha.. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing anything with my hair 'like a pro' :P
But seriously, thank you for the idea's!

Hahah, I totally get that. I'm sure that with this job you'll also up your bunning game :pinktongue:

Obsidian
September 5th, 2021, 01:22 PM
What about a braided bun held with spin pins? Should be easy enough to keep contained and the pins would be hidden

SparrowWings
September 5th, 2021, 01:24 PM
:scissors: Think about kittens with really good reach....and thumbs.
:laugh: :kitten: Darn those unintentionally destructive kitties! But, yes.

I'm 100% with akurah! Even if the kids at your school aren't prone to intentionally trying to weaponize anything, if they're upset and lashing out, it could still happen accidentally. You mentioned that your wooden stick is thick and blunt (I'm thinking along the lines of a TT as a comparison point), and that would certainly make it more challenging as a weapon, but not impossible. As for forks, the only thing I would potentially even consider would be something like this (https://cloud.lillarose.biz/UP/Z/UP-SWERVE_Z.jpg), assuming you can find a version with ball-tipped ends and are able to entirely encase it in your hair. I suspect all the curving would make it less effective as a weapon, and harder for them to remove.

The other consideration, for any hair style (and you've mentioned it for braids) but especially one involving sticks or forks, is that they could grab the style itself. If they manage to grab the stick (heaven forbid both ends) or fork, and it's very secure in your hair, that's one heck of a handle, and any yanking they do is going to HURT, at best, whether or not they eventually remove it or you're able to free yourself. Which leads to noticing you've already mentioned this in the last post...

If I bun I think I do need something that is 'quick release' in the event someone grabs it - that's gonna make it easier to break free probably. I'll have to have a look and see if there is a scarf method that would work with this.
I think you mentioned a LWB somewhere upthread? Are you able to get it to hold without toys of any sort? Not securely enough to jump all around, just enough to generally stay while fairly inactive. If yes, I might aim for that, and then tie the scarf over your head so it can act as additional support for the bun. Protects the hair from direct grabbing, keeps things neutral, gives something that'll quick-release (the scarf) if they do grab, and in case they grab the bun within the scarf, it will also quick release. You may want a ponytail or a few passes (unsecured, so it'll slip apart if need be) of an English braid at the base, though, so that it doesn't immediately get in your way in the event that it does get pulled out. I don't know that the scarf would even need any particularly fancy tying; just around your head and the ends tucked in.

lapushka
September 5th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I would nix the scarf idea. Just think: nothing that hangs or sticks out. A flat bun, like a vortex bun would be ideal!

GrowlingCupcake
September 5th, 2021, 01:31 PM
I would look into a cinnabun or braided bun held with spin pins. Those are usually rock solid, flat (just be sure to lay the coils out as flat as possible), and spin pins aren't really visible. And a cinnabun is fairly easy to do.

akurah
September 5th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I would nix the scarf idea. Just think: nothing that hangs or sticks out. A flat bun, like a vortex bun would be ideal!

Your "nix the scarf" comment actually made me think about this--low nape bun, and an extra wide headband like this, and instead of securing the bun with anything, just lay the headband over it to hold it in place. Obviously you'd need the widest part over the bun if it's one of those ones that go narrow on one side.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Headbands-Women-Elastic-Workout-Running/dp/B08Y5LX66H/

ravenheather
September 5th, 2021, 02:27 PM
I would bun with spin pins or a shorter thicker tined wood fork (like meter fork). I think a French braid would be fine also.

Kat
September 5th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Maybe it's just my french braids, but they're pretty tight and I think it would be hard to get fingers into them without some effort...

How many people will know what they're feeling, though, let alone how to pull it out?

GoddesJourney
September 5th, 2021, 06:34 PM
I've got my money on spin pins. Sticks, forks, etc can be used for stabbing. French braids are fine. You can even tuck the tail down your shirt. It doesn't give you that much more to grab. Hoods on sweatshirts are just as dangerous in a self defense situation. Not sure what the dress code or suggestions are. Earrings are an issue too. Fluffy bangs are easy to grab as well as men's facial hair.

TheLuckyLurker
September 5th, 2021, 07:02 PM
Maybe a folded english braid?

akurah
September 5th, 2021, 07:44 PM
How many people will know what they're feeling, though, let alone how to pull it out?

It's a hair fork, it's not an exotic item someone outside of LHC has never seen before. non-LHC people know what these things are too, and anyone can pull out a hair fork.

KokoroDragon
September 5th, 2021, 08:21 PM
I took self defense for a few months as a kid, and one of the only things I still remember is something the teacher said about hair. Loose hair is apparently the most dangerous, because if someone grabs it they will likely only have hold of a few strands. Which will hurt a lot. If your hair is in, say, a braid, they have to grab the whole thing. This distributes the force over your whole scalp, and is therefore less painful. Of course, safety is more important than pain, but it's a lot easier to react appropriately when you're not in pain.

If the other teachers wear ponytails, I would think an english braid wouldn't be much different. By the time it's long enough to get in the way, you will have gotten to know the students better in terms of what they're likely to grab, and had more time to experiment with different hair styles.

Kat
September 6th, 2021, 09:59 AM
It's a hair fork, it's not an exotic item someone outside of LHC has never seen before. non-LHC people know what these things are too, and anyone can pull out a hair fork.

I dunno... it seems people without long hair are pretty mystified by some hair toys. If it's buried in the hair and not visible, is someone who's not familiar with a hair fork really going to feel one in hair and say "Ah, that's a hair fork!" and know they need to find the rounded end, hook a finger into it and pull, etc.?

CuteCrow
September 6th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Loose hair is apparently the most dangerous, because if someone grabs it they will likely only have hold of a few strands. Which will hurt a lot. If your hair is in, say, a braid, they have to grab the whole thing. This distributes the force over your whole scalp, and is therefore less painful. Of course, safety is more important than pain, but it's a lot easier to react appropriately when you're not in pain.

I was about to say something along those lines. When I was in martial arts the main rule around long hair was to keep it as contained and as close to your scalp as possible. The thing about loose hair being more painful is more about the distance from the scalp rather than them picking only a few hairs. The farther from your scalp someone pulls hair, the more painful it is. But also, the closest your hair is to your scalp, the hardest it's to get grabbed at all, and even harder without you noticing first. Hair-grabbing is usually most dangerous when it's done from behind and from a distance, that's when the yank can cause dangerous complications, like broken vertebrae.

So my two cents here would be not to worry too much about how you wear your hair, just wear it in a normal bun, braided bun or tucked braid or anything along those lines. Most of the time you'll have enough time to react before anyone grabs your hair, and if they have an ill intention and are close enough to grab it, your hair will probably be the least of your worries. It's also easier to get rid of a hair grab when they are close to you, and you seem to be prepared for that.

MusicalSpoons
September 6th, 2021, 10:39 AM

Maybe, but kids? Unlikely. I'd have thought by the time they've felt it and clocked that there's something *in* there will be enough time for the owner of the hair to start removing the kid's hand(s).

(I had never seen a hair fork before LHC, nor any proper sticks actually holding hair up, only pens or pencils shoved in behind and elastic for somewhere to keep them.)

But I would recommend spin pins, primarily. Nothing inviting to grab onto, and a cinnabun is ordinary enough that they're less likely to want to investigate than a more intricate bun. It's also less prominent than a ponytail or glasses or a lanyard (etc.) for grabbing on moments of distress.

Off-topic Bugg it's great that you want to do this job, but please please make sure - if you haven't already - to seek out autistic adults' experiences and educational writing. So much of what the medical and school system teaches about autism and other neurodivergences is harmful, based on the neurotypical observation of behaviour rather than the reality of how the person experiences life.

Deborah
September 6th, 2021, 11:19 AM
I think a French twist would be harder to grab onto than a bun as it is held in place much closer to the head and everything is tucked in securely. It can be held firmly in place with spin pins, which won't show. Spin pins hold better than anything else I have ever tried.

So, a French twist with spin pins would be my proposal. Best of luck with whatever you decide! :flower:

lapushka
September 6th, 2021, 11:51 AM
I dunno... it seems people without long hair are pretty mystified by some hair toys. If it's buried in the hair and not visible, is someone who's not familiar with a hair fork really going to feel one in hair and say "Ah, that's a hair fork!" and know they need to find the rounded end, hook a finger into it and pull, etc.?

Doesn't matter what they're gonna say. Matters that it's a sharp tool that is easily pulled out and can be used in odd ways!

SleepyTangles
September 7th, 2021, 10:54 AM
Would a scrunchie be enough to hold your hair? A braided cinnabun should feel pretty secure.