PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on scrunchies for guys?

Danny_B
September 4th, 2021, 07:59 AM
I need to get more hair ties and it seems like the consensus is that scrunchies are the best and easiest on hair. I was thinking about getting some. Curious if anyone has seen any guys use them or any thoughts on guys using them? I probably just shouldn't care but I'm still figuring out how to deal with "gender norms" and my hair and still worry about how I'll been seen to some degree. Thanks in advance!

lapushka
September 4th, 2021, 09:06 AM
Yeah, that's it: you shouldn't care! If it makes you feel uncomfortable, wear them at home.

But there is something out there, less "conspicuous", black, and also *very* delicate on hair; it's this, and it's called "hosiery hair ties", just Google them and you'll get lots of hits, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Ouchless-Ponytail-Hair-Elastics/dp/B00U8PVVXC/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hosiery+hair+ties&qid=1630767960&sr=8-10

Danny_B
September 4th, 2021, 09:22 AM
Thanks lapushka! I'm working on it! Still in a place where I do lots of stuff with my hair when I'm by myself that I won't do around others.

And I'll look into those other ties.

akurah
September 4th, 2021, 10:00 AM
I've seen guys use them. My favorite kind of ties are the ones like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Trend-Ponytailers-Elastic-Thick-Hair-Coils/dp/B08XQVHRLL/

I find scrunchies and other ties don't hold ponytails as well on my hair. I still prefer more traditional ties for tying off braids though.

Robot Ninja
September 4th, 2021, 10:09 AM
I've seen a few guys wearing them. Not the big poufy ones, but they're obviously scrunchies. Long hair isn't very common on guys around here though, so I don't have a lot of reference points on how the cool guys these days tie it back.

Solovey
September 4th, 2021, 10:12 AM
I follow a guy and he wears buns and braids with scrunchies(usually beige ones that blend in with his hair, but still can tell it's there), I for one have never questioned it as looking off or weird.

Nini
September 4th, 2021, 11:18 AM
I don't really like them on anyone, but Jason Momoa pulls them off just fine, so :D

Danny_B
September 4th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I might get one to try out but I'll probably stick with other options as long as they seem to work with my hair.

Glitch
September 4th, 2021, 01:31 PM
It's totally fine! I've seen plenty of guys wear scrunchies, including one of my own guy best friends :). I'm always secretly proud that they know enough about haircare to go for that option. Also, in case you feel weird about scrunchies, there are always thin scrunchies out there which pretty much look almost exactly like normal hair ties! They're just as great.

Iyashikei
September 4th, 2021, 10:48 PM
I wear them when I go to bed. Haven't tried wearing one in the wild yet but seeing all those guys on Tiktok and, like Nini said, Jason Momoa wear them I think it's alright.

zhivago
September 5th, 2021, 11:43 AM
My boyfriend wears black scrunchies. His hair is super thick so scrunchies look "correct" on him, whilst hair ties tend to look a bit weird.

GoddesJourney
September 5th, 2021, 04:02 PM
I used strong hair ties to make thin scrunchies before. I had a bunch of smooth black silk and no other projects to do with it. I just broke the hair ties since I knew it would happen eventually and then sewed them back together securely. Instead of a big, poofy thing, which j don't particularly like anyway, I made ones that were about 1/4" thick. I also got some 1/2" regular elastic and made some stronger ones for wrapping around a bun. This was before I had spin pins. I still keep a homemade scrunchie like this on my night stand for bunning my usual braid on a whim to screw around with the man. Very convenient.

Loveletters
September 5th, 2021, 05:21 PM
One word: hot! :D

oldrocker
September 5th, 2021, 09:08 PM
Danny....going through the same thought process. lot of good advice here, but I think the biggest thing again is confidence. Wear it like you mean it. us long hair guys (especially older ones like me) are breaking the norm regardless, so does it really matter what others think about your hair 'tie' no matter what it is?

I am in the shopping phase for these myself, but use a fairly large looking pony band anyway, and the old saying comes up....Long Hair...Don't Care (what others think)

LJC

Bat
September 6th, 2021, 12:31 AM
That's a no for me. I don't like the ruffled fabric ones on men, I wouldn't be caught dead in the usual scrunchie. But wear what makes you comfortable

These are pretty good
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8ckAuH4N5_VEKE1UIHWsZ45fpCCvZD _mmoA&usqp=CAU

illicitlizard
September 6th, 2021, 04:07 AM
Yeah my partner wears a scrunchy and it looks totally unremarkable - black fabric and he's got curls so it gets a bit lost. If you don't want the extra fluff you can get skinny scrunchies (I think someone mentioned above?)
like this (https://www.amazon.com.au/Scrunchies-Comfortable-Scrunchy-Elastics-Accessories/dp/B07XPCCRHG)

Either way, as oldrocker said, confidence is the limiting factor- may as well care for your hair as long hair on guys is often remarkable anyway!

CuteCrow
September 6th, 2021, 03:15 PM
I second everything oldrocker said. It's mostly about confidence and not feeling like you're doing something "wrong". Regardless, I've seen plenty of guys using scrunchies (only the thinner ones though -like these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUXSOUL-Scrunchies-Ponytail-Non-slip-Accessories/dp/B08PBVXVRQ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2P1LXCU5DYP8M&dchild=1&keywords=think+scrunchie&qid=1630962635&sprefix=think+scr%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-8)) I think they look good on anyone regardless of gender.

SleepyTangles
September 6th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Another vote for giving them a try! I think the thinner ones, or ones in neutral colors (black, navy, grey, even camo) would not be conspicuous at all.

If after trying you don't feel like continuing, no worries: phone cord or soft ties are also pretty nice.

ZoeZ
September 6th, 2021, 07:01 PM
What oldrocker said - wear it like you don't even notice you put one in! :) It's nobody's business what you wear, and the ones who like it, great, the ones who don't - well, it doesn't matter! And what else are you going to do with long loose hair when it's in the way?

The first two or three times I wore my hair up (I had never in my life done that!) it felt strange and obvious and uncomfortable. After that, it became natural to me and I don't notice (or care!) what others think. Wear your scrunchies around the house to get used to the feel, and then rock'em outside!