PDA

View Full Version : Oiling for winter?

Jessikinz
November 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hello everyone,
well it has been snowing like crazy this past week, and getting really cold out there. I was just wondering what oils you all use in the winter time. Currently I only have coconut oil, which I will still use, just not when I go outside. I'm currently on a budget, so keep that in mind too :)

mira-chan
November 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I use sesame oil (Indian store bought) and camellia oil in the winter.

Jessikinz
November 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for replying!

What does camellia oil do for your hair?

Carolyn
November 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
There is a whole huge thread on the Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Hair Care board. I'd link it for you but I've lost my little cheater note that tells me how to link. Sorry.

I use the same oils year around. Coconut oil is great. If that's what you have and you like it, keep on using it in the winter.

mira-chan
November 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for replying!

What does camellia oil do for your hair?

One Camellia oil thread link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=456) for you! Happy reading!:D

Camellia oil is light. It smooths and protects the hair.

ChloeDharma
November 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
If the coconut oil is working i say carry on using it. Otherwise sesame oil like Mira suggested is fabulous....i found it very softening and smoothing, sweet almond oil is lovely too....again very softening, makes my hair nice and glossy. If you want some heavy duty protection you could try mixing sweet almond and castor oil (these are all cheap by the way).
Jojoba is good but quite a bit more pricey and i think lighter. I'm guessing you mean leave in oils for light oilings yes?

CaityBear
November 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I've just been using coconut oil. Well, that's what I use after showers when my hair is still damp. Sometimes I use a tiny bit of EVOO or grapeseed oil otherwise.

Jessikinz
November 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM
If the coconut oil is working i say carry on using it. Otherwise sesame oil like Mira suggested is fabulous....i found it very softening and smoothing, sweet almond oil is lovely too....again very softening, makes my hair nice and glossy. If you want some heavy duty protection you could try mixing sweet almond and castor oil (these are all cheap by the way).
Jojoba is good but quite a bit more pricey and i think lighter. I'm guessing you mean leave in oils for light oilings yes?

Yes for light oilings and also heavy oilings. I like to heavy oil a day before my wash days. Thank you all for replying, this has helped me so much. Coconut oil seems to be doing the job very well, but I guess I have a curious mind for trying the others too. :)