PDA

View Full Version : Which lengths did you not enjoy?

GoddesJourney
September 3rd, 2021, 11:00 AM
So I've been in the TB+ area for a while now. I have started wearing it down more to actually appreciate it, but...I don't love it. I remember feeling this way between pixie and APL+, so I know some in-between lengths just aren't super enjoyable for me and it may be worth it to suck it up for another year or so to get to classic, which is probably the ultimate length for me to try that I've never had. Part of me wants to cut back to waist and just wear it down more, especially as the weather cools off. But did I love waist? I honestly don't remember. Haha.

So those of you who have been at classic and beyond, what advice do you have?

And for everyone else, what lengths did you not particularly love but you were glad you waited through?

Diana Prince
September 3rd, 2021, 01:30 PM
I am only talking about my experience here. I love all lengths on other people, but I hate with a passion chin length hair on myself, as well as when it barely touches the shoulders. I like short hair when it's 1-2 inches above shoulders as it can be styled pretty easily.

I also kind of dislike this length I have now (APL)... I am grateful I finally got to this length (had it very short for a few years because of breakage) but anything between shoulders and waist feels incomplete. I always disliked this stage (and succesfully grew my hair when I neglected it). I've never had hair longer than waist length, so I don't know how I personally feel towards those lengths. Maybe one day I can have an opinion about this :).

lapushka
September 3rd, 2021, 01:33 PM
Shoulder and APL was fine. Beyond APL and to about hip, I hated, because I have iii hair and it needs length for a bun, so I was stuck between a cute peacock twist at APL and whatever I could do with a claw clip until I could bun. Hair on the thicker side sucks!

AmeerahKhanNot
September 3rd, 2021, 01:44 PM
I didn't like any length above waist on myself, it always felt too short and I was getting impatient waiting for it to grow lol. I only started liking my length recently when I stopped wanting my hair to be super long. I don't think I like any length on myself besides TBL.

stardust lady
September 3rd, 2021, 02:09 PM
I've had everything from shaved to waist. Pixie was really cute but waist was perfect. Between collarbone and APL isn't great, but could be worse.

The worst is from pixie to collarbone. shudder: I don't regret the buzz - it was my first time ever having short hair, and was on my bucket list of things to try at least once, but I won't willingly do it again.

I'd say the absolute worst of the worst was chin length.

I'm not so sure I will want to grow beyond waist (if I'm able to). I might try it. I once wore a hip-length wig and it was a ton of fun, so I'm a little bit interested.

Glitch
September 3rd, 2021, 02:19 PM
I've always hated the APL stage, especially because I've found myself stuck there for most of my life when I wanted long hair, so basically the majority of my life, lol. APL of course doesn't cover my chest, and therefore always reminds me that I'm at least a whole year away from what I consider long hair, to where it would finally cover my chest.

Whenever I've had my hair pretty short, like to my chin, I'd just embrace the look. But APL is like the stressful limbo length for me between short and long.

A short length that I really disliked though was when I had a boy cut (idk what they're called). Definitely wasn't a pixie, it was just literally that classic male short haircut most boys have. It wasn't my choice though, my mom just thought it would be easier for me to not have to worry about my hair as a kid.

stardust lady
September 3rd, 2021, 02:39 PM
I've always hated the APL stage, especially because I've found myself stuck there for most of my life when I wanted long hair, so basically the majority of my life, lol. APL of course doesn't cover my chest, and therefore always reminds me that I'm at least a whole year away from what I consider long hair, to where it would finally cover my chest.

Whenever I've had my hair pretty short, like to my chin, I'd just embrace the look. But APL is like the stressful limbo length for me between short and long.

A short length that I really disliked though was when I had a boy cut (idk what they're called). Definitely wasn't a pixie, it was just literally that classic male short haircut most boys have. It wasn't my choice though, my mom just thought it would be easier for me to not have to worry about my hair as a kid.

I can so relate to having been APL for most of your life. Same here. Then again, I used to get "trims" every month, so I think that was why.

GoddesJourney
September 3rd, 2021, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I can see why a lot of people hate chin length. It was the longest length that was constantly in my face, short enough for bedhead, short enough you can't tie it back to exercise or brush your teeth, long enough to stick to your face when sweaty. I still maintain the most functional lengths are pixie short or less, SL/APL (for a pony nub) and bun length, whatever that is for each person (usually between BSL and waist-ish+ if you have a ton of hair).

Maybe I just don't enjoy butt length-ish hair? Probably classic would be more fun, but it's a ways off. Shorter like waist-is is visually appealing and somewhat easier, but my braid would feel so short again. Thicker hemline though.

Hemlines are an issue for me, too. Straight cuts are good for braids, which is my go to. Down looks better with a shape. Hmm... never easy.

GoddesJourney
September 3rd, 2021, 02:46 PM
I can so relate to having been APL for most of your life. Same here. Then again, I used to get "trims" every month, so I think that was why.

Same. I had APL most of my life. I would chop when it got close to BSL because it would get ratty. I didn't have any idea why at the time.

Rubignious
September 3rd, 2021, 02:58 PM
I absolutely hated having hair that was like anywhere from chin length to about my waist 😂 for me my hair either has to be super short or like down to my hips and nothing in-between.

stardust lady
September 3rd, 2021, 02:58 PM
Same. I had APL most of my life. I would chop when it got close to BSL because it would get ratty. I didn't have any idea why at the time.

*audibly ripping through tangles with a hair brush* Jeez, why am I getting so many split ends?!

GoddesJourney
September 3rd, 2021, 03:11 PM
*audibly ripping through tangles with a hair brush* Jeez, why am I getting so many split ends?!

Haha. Bingo. Also using "moisturizing products" (silicones) and shampooing with (sulfates) daily to deal with my oily scalp and dry hair with no idea why those conditions kept worsening or that those ingredients don't work for me. Thanks forever, LHC. Seriously.

So back to the point, I'm on the fence about growing it further or cutting it back because this length is somewhat awkward for me.

Rubignious
September 3rd, 2021, 03:24 PM

This used to be my biggest gripe when I was growing my hair out when I was younger and I had a sort of fringe and some layers - at any length it started to look ratty. This time that I've been growing it out none of my stages have been as bad because my hair is all one length

Kathie
September 3rd, 2021, 05:49 PM
Around SL and APL is not the best, but its ok. Between APL and MBL I'm happy. I've never made it to waist, just an inch or so shy a couple of times.

barnet_fair
September 3rd, 2021, 07:18 PM
This is a fun thread! I'm about halfway between HL and TBL, and I've been enjoying the length more and more since WL. From chin length to BSL was great, as short hair suits me and I find it quite convenient. The midback abyss from BSL to WL, however, was the least enjoyable part: it felt like I was starting to experience a lot of long hair challenges, like hair getting in the way during sport, while not actually having very long hair. It was at BSL that I joined LHC looking for protective styles. Like lapushka, however, I couldn't do a lot of buns at first. I never got the hang of a peacock twist, but now my hair is long enough for a comfortable LWB!

GoddesJourney, what don't you like about your current length and how do you want to feel at classic?

GoddesJourney
September 3rd, 2021, 07:37 PM
GoddesJourney, what don't you like about your current length and how do you want to feel at classic?

This is the real issue, I guess. I find the length to be unflattering, especially with my straight hem. But I braid it most of the time and I find that irritating with a U or V. It's long enough to be inconvenient. I have a little more taper than I like. So there's that.

I have never had classic and I would love to just try it out. I've never had hair I could sit on. It looks so Disney princess and it's just a super cool and flattering length. It's also possibly long enough for "backpack braids" I mentioned in another thread, which I would LOVE to try out. So there's the carrot giving me a reason to go forward.

illicitlizard
September 3rd, 2021, 09:04 PM
I'm going to chip in and agree with everyone who's saying shoulder length to armpit length. So horribly awkward and never looks intentional, can't leave it down without it in the way and can't put it up easily.
Super short I have no real feelings about, chin length I quite like as I can do half ups and the hairs on my neck don't annoy me that much.

BSL and longer (longest I've had is maybe hip-ish length?) is where I find it comfortable, because I can do a disc bun but we'll see. It sure gets in the way lots when it's longer.

I'd also love to have hair long enough to sit on GoddesJourney, along with the princess factor of classic!

kikuhoshi
September 3rd, 2021, 09:28 PM
Classic. I had a stall for about 2-2.5 years, most likely due to stress, mental health, and lack of proper care (I was interested but not too much - using the wrong cleansers and routine for my hairtype). I honestly wondered if I'd hit my terminal until I saw my length check picture a few days ago - and I'm finally below the booty. It's been a long, long time coming, so I'm glad.

draysmir
September 3rd, 2021, 09:38 PM
I found anything shorter than waist annoying on myself. I didn't like HL-BCL that much, I didn't like how my hemline layed against my back. I enjoyed TBL and CL. I did not like my hair past classic length though, which surprised me. I thought anything past classic was an awkward length until about MTL, about 6" past CL. I think I will enjoy knee length a lot more than MTL even, once I am there.

I'd suggest trying to go for classic before cutting back. I think both WL and CL are lengths that are flattering on most people. :) Maybe also try out some buns or crown braids for TBL/CL hair before you cut back? Some hairstyles you can only do with a lot of length. If you find you don't like hairstyles for longer lengths though, and don't enjoy wearing your hair down at TBL, then maybe you would enjoy cutting back to waist more. :)

Kathie
September 3rd, 2021, 09:41 PM
I'm going to chip in and agree with everyone who's saying shoulder length to armpit length. So horribly awkward and never looks intentional, can't leave it down without it in the way and can't put it up easily.
Super short I have no real feelings about, chin length I quite like as I can do half ups and the hairs on my neck don't annoy me that much.

BSL and longer (longest I've had is maybe hip-ish length?) is where I find it comfortable, because I can do a disc bun but we'll see. It sure gets in the way lots when it's longer.

I'd also love to have hair long enough to sit on GoddesJourney, along with the princess factor of classic!

I totally agree! Lengths that don't look intentional aren't a feel good time. Above shoulder length with a crisp cut and long are good. But that in between where it could look like you simply can be bothered getting it cut aren't great.

GoddesJourney
September 3rd, 2021, 10:09 PM
Chin length. If you saw how I looked you would laugh. It can suit anyone else but not on myself

You're not the only exception. It looks terrible on me.i have a narrow face and that doesn't help. My hairline is totally round, which exacerbates the look. Plus, may textured hair pools out at. It just doesn't work.

JasminxCat
September 3rd, 2021, 10:14 PM
Chin length. If you saw how I looked you would laugh. It can suit anyone else but not on myself

lapis_lazuli
September 3rd, 2021, 10:33 PM
The ones I didn't particularly like were classic, FTL, and knee, but that's mostly because I wanted to be longer so bad I couldn't enjoy them :p I'm sure I could like them fine if I went for a shorter length in future.

I'd probably stick with it if you're really intent on trying classic. A year or so is not that far out in the scope of hair-growing. Do braids help? They might shorten your hair to a more pleasing length to wear down. (or, start a bun with a hairstick, but don't wind all the way, leave a long tail hanging down. it's like a bun ponytail wherein you can appreciate the length, just not *all* of it)

stardust lady
September 4th, 2021, 12:29 AM
This is the real issue, I guess. I find the length to be unflattering, especially with my straight hem. But I braid it most of the time and I find that irritating with a U or V. It's long enough to be inconvenient. I have a little more taper than I like. So there's that.

I have never had classic and I would love to just try it out. I've never had hair I could sit on. It looks so Disney princess and it's just a super cool and flattering length. It's also possibly long enough for "backpack braids" I mentioned in another thread, which I would LOVE to try out. So there's the carrot giving me a reason to go forward.

How long would it take to reach classic? I think it would be worth going for it, just to know how you feel about it. You may totally love it, and even if you don't, I think it's always worth it to try something new. Then again, if it would take too long to get there, and you really miss having slightly shorter hair, then that would be a good reason to cut it so that you can enjoy it now. Personally, I feel like it would be worth it to wait and grow it longer, just for the sake of newness and discovery.

You're not the only exception. It looks terrible on me.i have a narrow face and that doesn't help. My hairline is totally round, which exacerbates the look. Plus, may textured hair pools out at. It just doesn't work.

Yep same here too. I also have a narrow face and a slightly strong nose, so I look best with long hair (and no bangs, ever). Really short pixie is good too, but thick whirly hair with my narrow face is embarrassingly ugly looking.

kikuhoshi
September 4th, 2021, 06:08 AM
Yep same here too. I also have a narrow face and a slightly strong nose, so I look best with long hair (and no bangs, ever). Really short pixie is good too, but thick whirly hair with my narrow face is embarrassingly ugly looking.

Add me to the "chin length looks awful on me" club. I have a very round face and straight-across bangs that are usually around eye length, so anything shorter than APL makes me look like a living q-tip. :rolleyes:

cinamio
September 4th, 2021, 06:29 AM
Anything shorter than BSL looked weird on me. I’m tall, so it looked disproportionate to have so much ‘body’ and so little hair. I didn’t enjoy those shorter lengthens because I couldn’t tie it back in the same way that I can with longer hair.

foreveryours
September 4th, 2021, 06:55 AM
The range 1/8" to 20", either too much work regularly shaving and cleaningup the mess or always in my face. So glad to have outgrown it

Bri-Chan
September 4th, 2021, 08:14 AM
After BSL and before HL. I don't know, they make me feel so average. This is in fact the first time in my life I resisted to the urge to cut at least 6 inches once I reached WL.

Belgrade Beauty
September 4th, 2021, 08:16 AM
Waist. It was inconvenient enough to have it, but not quite long to brag :D

Ashtaroth
September 4th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Disliked APL because the ends would get in my armpit and pull unexpectedly. I’m really enjoying current length between waist and hip. Don’t plan to go past hip because trapping the ends in my butt seems even less appealing than trapping in my armpit ��

Solovey
September 4th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Another vote for the below shoulder to APL area. I don't mind longer or shorter than that, But +- APL really drives me crazy. It feels like the worst parts of both long and short hair at once without ever looking nice on me

SparrowWings
September 4th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Anything shorter than BSL drives me absolutely batty, and BSL itself is borderline. Though I can't remember a time when my hair was shorter than shoulder+. Detangling's a joke at that length, it's so short, but it's either in the way, or if I get it up, the ends just won't. Stop. Tickling. the back of my neck.

Midback to hip or so is manageable enough, but if I decide to bun, instead of just braiding, I don't love how the bun looks. Usually more of a fat lump than a bun, and lopsided for most of the volume getting used up on one side as I try to wrap it around, as well.

FTL+ works really well for buns, but also seems to be a damage/stall point for me, which makes it harder to manage in general. I'm still debating whether I hope it ever gets past that point and gets better again, or if I give up and stick to regularly cutting it back to FTL-ish.

harpgal
September 4th, 2021, 11:29 AM
Classic is my favorite length and anything between classic and knee were the worst for me. Finally, reaching knee was a relief. Ankle was interesting and practical because I could get more of my braid around my head. However, my hair was very tangle-y between calf and ankle.

I kept my hair at waist for many years and really like that length. The funny thing is the longer you grow the more you are influenced by your updos and not how it looks while down.

GoddesJourney
September 4th, 2021, 11:19 PM
Classic is my favorite length and anything between classic and knee were the worst for me. Finally, reaching knee was a relief. Ankle was interesting and practical because I could get more of my braid around my head. However, my hair was very tangle-y between calf and ankle.

I kept my hair at waist for many years and really like that length. The funny thing is the longer you grow the more you are influenced by your updos and not how it looks while down.

I guess that makes sense. I'm generally not an updo person. Just braids or down. Mostly braids. I really should give the crown braid another try though now that it's much longer. It would be nice just to wrap a regular braid around my head but it's not long enough yet.

Estrid
September 5th, 2021, 12:05 AM
So I've been in the TB+ area for a while now. I have started wearing it down more to actually appreciate it, but...I don't love it. I remember feeling this way between pixie and APL+, so I know some in-between lengths just aren't super enjoyable for me and it may be worth it to suck it up for another year or so to get to classic, which is probably the ultimate length for me to try that I've never had. Part of me wants to cut back to waist and just wear it down more, especially as the weather cools off. But did I love waist? I honestly don't remember. Haha.

So those of you who have been at classic and beyond, what advice do you have?

And for everyone else, what lengths did you not particularly love but you were glad you waited through?

I am at the same point, tbl+, and I really don't like it.

I haven't been able to wear my hair down since I don't know when. It's unflattering when it is down and feels like a blanket over my back, which I really dislike. It gets everywhere, it's too long not to be in the way, even the braid is too long. Ever since I realized I can't wear buns without getting a headache I've started to despise it more and more and I'm getting more sure by the day that I will end up cutting it back to waist as well as getting some sort of layers to give me back some of the volume I once had.

It kinda sucks, I really wanted long hair before, but now I can't see any joy in it. The issues I'm experiencing now will not go away with added length. Cutting back to a length where I can still do braids, but also wear it down, and do half-ups without them looking strange, feels like my only option.

Maybe I will need to cut it even shorter than WL to be able to wear it down, I can't quite remember if it was at BSL or WL that I regularly did.

Vivalagina
September 5th, 2021, 06:43 AM
SL to MBL is always the toughest for me because updos are difficult and it gets tangly when I leave it down. Once I get past MBL I have lots of options.

harpgal
September 5th, 2021, 07:03 AM
I guess that makes sense. I'm generally not an updo person. Just braids or down. Mostly braids. I really should give the crown braid another try though now that it's much longer. It would be nice just to wrap a regular braid around my head but it's not long enough yet.
I think you could wrap 2 braids around your head, one going one way and the other wrapping the other way. At waist, I could do this. However, for me, I had to get to about mid-thigh before I could wrap just one braid.

enting
September 5th, 2021, 07:18 AM
I think I'm not particularly enjoying it past tailbone. It's long enough that when it's down, or in a braid, or has slipped out of a bun that it can get into everything gross. It's only nice if I'm not doing anything that involves bending over to pick something up off the floor or doing any cleaning. Or if it's in a very secure updo which my head doesn't feel like having all the time. It was getting annoying like this at classic but I thought maybe it was just an annoying length and it'll get better. I don't feel like getting up the energy to trim or cut back, so I guess I'll find out. It's currently somewhere around palm of hand length, or hovering above midthigh, last time I checked.
I do enjoy being able to do a proper coronet braid, so it's not all bad, but it's not the most fun or exciting length at the moment.

Natalia_A00
September 5th, 2021, 07:35 AM
My least favorite lengths were BSL (because I couldn't wait for my hair to grow more), and definitely shoulder length (my hair is kinda thick and I didn't really liked how I looked or the waves it created with that length).

The same thing happened to me, I don't really like in-between lengths because I get obsessed with reaching my next goal, so I become more impatient. However I'm almost at classic but I enjoy my current length

Bat
September 5th, 2021, 08:01 AM
Anything before shoulder, chin length was the worst

zhivago
September 5th, 2021, 11:41 AM
I hate chin/neck/shoulder length most of all. I was forced to have it around that length all of my childhood.

When it comes to wearing hair long, anything shorter than MBL feels transitory and incomplete...

GoddesJourney
September 5th, 2021, 12:14 PM

I think you could wrap 2 braids around your head, one going one way and the other wrapping the other way. At waist, I could do this. However, for me, I had to get to about mid-thigh before I could wrap just one braid.

I'm not a huge fan of wrapping two braids. Never quite looks right on me and isn't as comfortable as one braid.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45870&d=1630865228

Okay, so you made a good point about crown braids. I've never been able to really get a good one because I didn't realize it wasn't quite long enough. This is the first one I've made that looks right. It's frizzy because that's the price I pay for doing anything with dry hair. I used three small spin pins to hold the tail in place because I don't have a good relationship with Bobby pins. With a little practice and damp or oiled hir, this may be a good way to get through another year or so until I reach classic. Then I guess I can decide.

And my husband was like, "You're going to grow it longer?!" Haha. Yup.

firewerky
September 6th, 2021, 02:45 AM
I really dislike every lenght that is between what I consider short and what I consider long. Short hair like shoulder lenght and above looks interesting and adds character. Long hair is flattering and feminine. I'm now at APL and this is the worst lenght for me. Not short enough and not long enough eghhh

SnowSpot
September 6th, 2021, 03:33 AM
I didn’t really enjoy the journey from BSL to WL, it felt endless. Now I’ve been maintaining around WL for this year and I’m feeling a sissatisfaction of some sort of WL also. :D I think it could be because of an overall tiredness of current situation or the whole growing project or something… right now I’m just letting it be, focusing on other things and thinking that the happy feelings come back at some point. :)

hannabiss
September 6th, 2021, 05:28 AM
As I've gone through bald to waist twice now. I feel like the growing out the bald phase was the worst. Because it never looked like a "cute pixie" ,then the mullet phase was annoying. The first time I shaved bald I toughed out the mullet phase. I got to waist a lot faster. Second time I cut it all to chin....as annoying as the mullet phase is I recommend toughing it out.

draysmir
September 6th, 2021, 08:02 AM
I'm not a huge fan of wrapping two braids. Never quite looks right on me and isn't as comfortable as one braid.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45870&d=1630865228

Okay, so you made a good point about crown braids. I've never been able to really get a good one because I didn't realize it wasn't quite long enough. This is the first one I've made that looks right. It's frizzy because that's the price I pay for doing anything with dry hair. I used three small spin pins to hold the tail in place because I don't have a good relationship with Bobby pins. With a little practice and damp or oiled hir, this may be a good way to get through another year or so until I reach classic. Then I guess I can decide.

And my husband was like, "You're going to grow it longer?!" Haha. Yup.

This looks so pretty! :flower:

spidermom
September 6th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Pixie to shoulder was the worst because my hair seemed to grow out instead of down - really bushy and unmanageable. I liked collarbone length a lot, and all lengths after that have been fine.

Hedwig
September 6th, 2021, 08:36 AM
I really dislike every lenght that is between what I consider short and what I consider long. Short hair like shoulder lenght and above looks interesting and adds character. Long hair is flattering and feminine. I'm now at APL and this is the worst lenght for me. Not short enough and not long enough eghhh

Same here, I'm at APL now (well, my longest layers are) and it's really getting on my nerves.

secret soup
September 6th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Anything above APL is the worst, to me. Especially shoulder length :steam

(yes I'm currently at shoulder :hatchet: )

secret soup
September 6th, 2021, 08:46 AM
I hate chin/neck/shoulder length most of all. I was forced to have it around that length all of my childhood.

When it comes to wearing hair long, anything shorter than MBL feels transitory and incomplete...

This is interesting. I was also forced to have the same length and now I cannot stand it! I wonder if there's a connection.

One time my aunt cut off my BSL hair to a pixie and I got made fun of in school because it was so curly and floofy. It was mildly traumatizing for me.

NaïaTheWitch
November 10th, 2021, 02:26 PM
APL.

Ho-rri-ble.

It seems like it takes centuries to grow out your hair of this phase.

Lesley8
November 10th, 2021, 03:20 PM
I hated shoulder length my hair would constantly flick out at the sides at it would drive me crazy!

Celestarella
November 10th, 2021, 03:26 PM
Ear length. Felt impossible to make it cute.

Pouncequick
November 10th, 2021, 06:13 PM
I don't like short hair though I haven't cut very short. I made the mistake of getting a chin length cut when I was a teenager and I hated it. I was pretty fine with shoulder to collarbone. It was my favorite short length, but I disliked APL to WL and didn't love it until hip when single stick buns became possible and could stay for a few hours. Then I went through another phase an inch or so past TBL where I couldn't keep my hair up without getting headaches. Buns became just slightly unstable and so they were always too tight or falling out. Because of that I had a few months where my hair was always so tangly. Then around an inch from classic it stabilized again and now my buns cause zero pain.

In summary: chin, neck, apl, midback, waist, TBL+
We'll see if any more get added. I'm going to grow to FTL and see if that's still okay then maybe try for knee. I'm a little nervous of getting past my own reach.

Getting a stable coronet is why I changed my goal to FTL. Even at classic my braid can make the wrap (barely) but it spits pins to escape.

FaeBroom
November 10th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Also going to say APL here. I feel it's a very boring medium length, and it's where I'm most tempted to chop if my patience runs out. I've pushed past it and like BSL/MBL more, but again not really long enough to make me happy just yet. My hair color and texture are pretty blah so I feel like having not long but also not short hair makes it even more blah.

paulownia
November 10th, 2021, 11:43 PM
For me the stage between shoulder and collarbone was probably the worst. I couldn't make my waves behave :rolleyes:.
APL is ok. I actually enjoy this stage. I never experienced much longer hair so I can't tell:D

spirals
November 10th, 2021, 11:59 PM
I didn't like hip because it was not quite long enough to make several buns I can do at tailbone. But now that I'm wearing it loose more often, it's kind of driving me nuts at around tailbone. I can't win.

Bat
November 11th, 2021, 04:19 AM
The awkward faze all the way until shoulder is the stage I hate the most but chin is the worst on me

Bat
November 11th, 2021, 04:25 AM
As I've gone through bald to waist twice now. I feel like the growing out the bald phase was the worst. Because it never looked like a "cute pixie" ,then the mullet phase was annoying. The first time I shaved bald I toughed out the mullet phase. I got to waist a lot faster. Second time I cut it all to chin....as annoying as the mullet phase is I recommend toughing it out.

I plan to tough it out as well first time around I trimmed as it grew and cut too much. Time to fast track to apl

KokoroDragon
November 11th, 2021, 07:50 AM
The shortest I've had is pixie, the longest is hip (almost back to my longest length, woo!) For me, the awkward grow out stage from pixie to shoulder was the least enjoyable. CBL to APL was ok, it was long enough to put back but short enough that it didn't tangle much. I wore a lot of ponytails at that stage. I think the most frustrating stage for me was APL to waist, because I could do maybe 1-2 stick buns but they were either too tight or slipped out - or both. Now that I'm WL+ I'm starting to feel better about my length, but it's still too short for my liking.

blushy
November 11th, 2021, 09:51 AM
I’m not really vibing with my current length, shoulder T_T

BuddhaBelle
November 11th, 2021, 11:32 AM
My favourite was shoulder/collarbone and now (almost waist).

When it was around shoulder/collarbone I could easily have it down without it getting in the way, and it was so easy to wash/dry/style.

Between around BSL and waist I really didn’t enjoy because I couldn’t do fun substantial buns but I couldn’t have it down because it got in the way all the time.

Now I’m almost at waist I am loving it. When I have it down it actually feels LONG! And I can do quite a few different buns. :)

shelomit
November 11th, 2021, 07:19 PM
I recall there being a very awkward period a little below shoulder when it didn't seem to work to brush/comb my hair entirely behind my head, but it also wasn't really long to split it into two sections and brush it in front of my shoulders.

mermaid lullaby
November 13th, 2021, 06:29 AM
I didn't like any of the lengths that were shorter than waist length. I could put it up in a pony tail, but I had a hard time braiding it without it falling out.

Cg
November 13th, 2021, 10:28 AM
The transition from pixie to able-to-bun wasn't fun. Everything past FTL, and especially past knee, has been increasingly effortful and therefore annoying. I may never reach my goal of finding out how long it will grow with a blunt hem, may lop it off at FTL if it becomes not worth the effort.

Dark40
November 13th, 2021, 09:15 PM
I don't like any length above MBL or waist on me but I've tried TB+ with extensions, and I loved it! I'm really hoping that someday soon I will reach that milestone.

_Melly_
November 14th, 2021, 08:12 AM
When my hair was between my ears and collarbone. It was all flippy and I couldn't do much with it.

Hellebore
November 14th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Every length between collarbone to BSL. It was a pain to put up, too short for hair sticks and just annoying in general.

tekla
November 15th, 2021, 06:23 AM
From shoulder to APL was the hardest for me. It was a weird in-between length, especially with layers (which I otherwise like having). Hair ends were flipping outwards and that's wasn't a cute look on me.

Sparkles122
November 15th, 2021, 06:28 AM
APL and BSL felt the most awkward on me

leafygreens18
November 15th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Honestly I don't even know how to really define my current length, makes me think I might be struggling a bit with body dysmorphia as I definitely shy away from trying to conceptualize my body in a whole and complete way. Because of this I think I am somewhere below BSL? But then when I really look at my hair I think I am at just BSL. I'm sort of not enjoying this anymore as the novelty of having truly "long hair" is wearing off a bit and I'm ready to have impressive length that I really feel proud of. I do think the BSL-midback long hair honeymoon phase does sort of still continue always because every length I reach now and every little bit of growth is functionally "longer than my hair has ever been" since I was a perpetual pixie cut kid.

ExpectoPatronum
November 15th, 2021, 10:38 AM
I hated being in the midback abyss. It took absolutely forever for my hair to hit waist length (while still curly, I hate waist with my hair pulled straight a while ago now).

SelenVinland
November 15th, 2021, 04:13 PM
The pixie-to-shoulder journey was the worst for me. I hated the way it looked and I could hardly do anything with it without some serious effort. Shoulder is about when I stopped obsessing over the length because I was able to do things with it, and now that I’m at APL it’s much more tolerable and I have a lot more style options. I’m hoping once I hit BSL I’ll actually be happy with my hair since that will probably open a lot of style options ;)

GoddesJourney
November 15th, 2021, 07:47 PM
The pixie-to-shoulder journey was the worst for me. I hated the way it looked and I could hardly do anything with it without some serious effort. Shoulder is about when I stopped obsessing over the length because I was able to do things with it, and now that I’m at APL it’s much more tolerable and I have a lot more style options. I’m hoping once I hit BSL I’ll actually be happy with my hair since that will probably open a lot of style options ;)

No worries. It does. You should be able to make a good bun that stays at that length. Braids start to feel long. Half ups have the long, waterfall effect.

That's also the length you have to start paying attention to your hair being rubbed between your back and your chair when you sit. You have to start pulling it to the front over your shoulder.

AnyaWK
November 15th, 2021, 08:23 PM
Growing out the pixie...hates that part...now I enjoy all my lengths...

Fitzpatrick
November 16th, 2021, 03:23 AM
Anything shorter than fingertip length!

Xlena
November 16th, 2021, 03:26 AM
Anything less than MBL is a nightmare for me, too difficult to manage, I can't deal with short hair xd

ipickee
November 16th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Really, as long as it's long enough to put up, I'm good. Anything under collarbone length is my nemesis. After that, the longer, the better.

lapushka
November 16th, 2021, 04:03 PM
Shoulder to APL was the most challenging for me; and chin to shoulder was no walk in the park either. Beyond that, it's nothing but a nice journey.

baanoo
November 16th, 2021, 05:09 PM
I liked chin to about shoulder, but shoulder to apl is always sort of my nemesis. On either side my hair is much better behaved!

lilbee
November 16th, 2021, 05:52 PM
I hated the unworkable length between "pixie" and "not long enough to ponytail" (but I rather liked the short bob phase, though). Then I think I enjoyed all lengths until I grew past fingertip. My knee length hair ends start to feel thin and my long braid bothers me in my sleep. Plus sometimes it gets caught in my... ahem... :couch:

ipickee
November 17th, 2021, 11:12 AM
I liked chin to about shoulder, but shoulder to apl is always sort of my nemesis. On either side my hair is much better behaved!

This is a good point. I guess I should revise my previous answer. I don't usually start to actually like my hair until it's APL+.

memeow
November 17th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Weirdly the length I’ve had the most trouble with is the one I’m going towards, waist. Which makes me question this goal a bit :confused: but it’s been some time and I think it looks nice so maybe I can get used to the parts I found challenging.

Otherwise I have spent most of my adult life with my hair somewhere in the mid-back abyss, which is fine if a bit boring. I cut it once to shoulder length and probably wouldn’t do that again, but it was fun for a while.

As a kid I sometimes sported the classic kid chin-length bob with bangs, which I also enjoyed. Every time I wanted to grow the bangs out it took FOREVER though! So my least favorite lengths have definitely been that chin to shoulder range, but probably only because the bangs were so annoying. I do remember the really satisfying feeling of the final haircut that eliminated them though!

foreveryours
November 17th, 2021, 02:09 PM
FTL. I like the look but management of arm-length hair was probably the most difficult stage for me, so far.

see_turtle
November 23rd, 2021, 11:42 AM
BSL and below are ok. Shoulder is ok as a cute ponytail is an option. Lately I've been fixated on getting past Hip and eventually past my previous longest length of 38"...so above 38" has been angsty for me.

Laurab
November 23rd, 2021, 02:39 PM
I found shoulder frustrating. When it just started hitting my shoulders it would flip up when drying for MONTHS. The flipping wasn't horrible, but it wasn't exactly the look I was going for. Once it got most of the way to APL I enjoyed it more, and putting it up in a bun got easier.