PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever feel irresistible need to gently pull you hair out in your hands?

Priska
August 31st, 2021, 09:21 AM
Many hairs in same time, so that they don't break away. From every part of your scalp. I feel this sometimes and wonder if my hair is growing especially powerfully then and needs little help to come out...

stardust lady
August 31st, 2021, 10:13 AM
Hair pulling is a common thing when doing a scalp massage. I've had a few Thai-style massages where the masseuse did hair pulling during the scalp massage, and it's so great for tension relief.

I did a bit of Googling, and some claim that it increases circulation in the scalp and stretches the fascia, which is apparently a layer of fibrous tissue that has nerves contained between it's layers. They claim that the hair pulling reduces compression on the nerves, thereby reducing tension.

No idea how true that is, but as someone with TMD, it definitely seems to help reduce tension and gives me that tingly scalp feeling. I suppose as long as you are being very gentle and pulling large enough sections, it can't hurt!

Edited to add: Found this info online, but it isn't from a reputable source so take with a grain of salt: "The pressure from pulling or braiding your hair opens up the blood vessels and increases the flow of blood to the follicles, bringing all the necessary nutrients for optimal growth. Hence, the hair grows faster. However, as mentioned previously if the hair is pulled too tight the follicle can be damaged and result in temporary or permanent bald spots." I notice that when I run my fingers through my hair, close to the scalp, and pull gently with my hair between my fingers, the pressure is incredibly light and very evenly distributed, and it does make my scalp feel really great. I might actually add this to my scalp massages...

lapushka
August 31st, 2021, 11:11 AM
How, in essence, genuine question, does this then differ from conditions like trich? :hmm:

stardust lady
August 31st, 2021, 11:37 AM
How, in essence, genuine question, does this then differ from conditions like trich? :hmm:

That was the very first thing I thought when reading this question, as someone who has dealt with dermatillomania, especially based on the word choice ("irresistible need"). But then after reading it again and noting use of the word "gently", I thought it was more likely that they genuinely were using this as a hair growth enhancer. Probably wrong for me to assume either way.

Priska - are you familiar with Trichotillomania?

JasminxCat
August 31st, 2021, 02:32 PM
I don't believe that. I think excessive hair pulling can cause the opposite effect and slow down growth

stardust lady
August 31st, 2021, 02:53 PM
That's fair. I think that it's greatly dependent on force and surface area pulled. Very gently pulling a big section of hair to give the scalp a nice release is going to yield a different result than pulling a few hairs really hard.

In retrospect, probably best to just not suggest anyone pull their hair at all, because maybe one persons idea of gentle is another persons idea of hard.

Also, I don't think anyone said excessive.

lapushka
August 31st, 2021, 02:58 PM
I don't believe that. I think excessive hair pulling can cause the opposite effect and slow down growth

Yeah, I am more on this side of the coin too. I think pulling might "weaken" the hair in its follicle and cause it to actually fall out sooner, maybe? Also, why would you go through your hair to pull strands... at all, or even gently? I guess I don't see the point? Sounds a little odd/off to me, somehow.

stardust lady
August 31st, 2021, 03:16 PM
I regret ever commenting on this thread, but I'm coming from the perspective of someone who has had it done by a professional masseuse, and that's my only experience with it, and it was very positive. It's definitely a very normal thing, for Thai massages at least.

neko_kawaii
August 31st, 2021, 04:00 PM
I regret ever commenting on this thread, but I'm coming from the perspective of someone who has had it done by a professional masseuse, and that's my only experience with it, and it was very positive. It's definitely a very normal thing, for Thai massages at least.

What you are describing is part of a lovely scalp massage I received the last time I had a professional hair cut. I think the problem is with the language used. Pull, tug etc are too closely linked to trich where hair is removed from the scalp. A different vocabulary is needed but I can't identify better words.

neko_kawaii
August 31st, 2021, 04:19 PM
I found a short video that demonstrates this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWhS7DbuyLY

lapushka
August 31st, 2021, 04:39 PM
What you are describing is part of a lovely scalp massage I received the last time I had a professional hair cut. I think the problem is with the language used. Pull, tug etc are too closely linked to trich where hair is removed from the scalp. A different vocabulary is needed but I can't identify better words.

IDK. It still freaks me out. I have, I guess, very little patience for anything that just even looks like it could potentially be mechanical damage.

neko_kawaii
August 31st, 2021, 04:46 PM
IDK. It still freaks me out. I have, I guess, very little patience for anything that just even looks like it could potentially be mechanical damage.

And yet your comb your hair. I don't see the difference.

Priska
August 31st, 2021, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I am more on this side of the coin too. I think pulling might "weaken" the hair in its follicle and cause it to actually fall out sooner, maybe? Also, why would you go through your hair to pull strands... at all, or even gently? I guess I don't see the point? Sounds a little odd/off to me, somehow.

Because I feel like wanting/needing to do that. 🙂 It's like a physical feeling in the scalp. Like itching needs scratching or something like that. And doing it feels good and relieving. I definitely don't tear hair off from my head, I tug as many hairs as can go into my hand in same time and that's a lot...

Priska
August 31st, 2021, 04:50 PM
And I pretty rarely feel like that. Now lately I have been feeling that, and I wonder if that has something to do with all the vitamins and millet and proteins that I am eating for my hair...

neko_kawaii
August 31st, 2021, 04:52 PM
And I pretty rarely feel like that. Now lately I have been feeling that, and I wonder if that has something to do with all the vitamins and millet and proteins that I am eating for my hair...

Or you have been experiencing less stress in your life. Massages are good for stress relief, but if you don't have the stress, you don't need the massage.

Kathie
August 31st, 2021, 04:55 PM
The wording of the title of this thread is alarming. But now that I think I understand the question I can answer.

No, I don't get that urge. But I do get a strong urge to brush, comb, or gently scratch my scalp. I really like those feelings.

Priska
August 31st, 2021, 05:08 PM
Yes my english sure can be bad here, and I'm very happy if you others give me the right word choices 😉

lapushka
August 31st, 2021, 05:57 PM
And yet your comb your hair. I don't see the difference.

I see the difference very clearly. You can't not brush/comb your hair (and I do that once per week, mind you, right before a wash). So I really am trying to limit my exposure to mechanical damage. And you can go without this massage very easily (well maybe not the OP), but I'm sure you get what I mean. :)

neko_kawaii
August 31st, 2021, 06:15 PM
I see the difference very clearly. You can't not brush/comb your hair (and I do that once per week, mind you, right before a wash). So I really am trying to limit my exposure to mechanical damage. And you can go without this massage very easily (well maybe not the OP), but I'm sure you get what I mean. :)

I comb my hair about once a week as well, but that is because I'm lazy. Do you have any tips for not running your fingers along your scalp now and then or scratching an itch?

Kat
August 31st, 2021, 07:08 PM
I've gently tugged my hair before, but just because it felt interesting, not because I've felt I "need" to or like it does anything for my hair/scalp.

Hair pulling is a common thing when doing a scalp massage. I've had a few Thai-style massages where the masseuse did hair pulling during the scalp massage, and it's so great for tension relief.

Interesting! I don't think I've ever had a head massage where they've pulled my hair-- but, my hair was always in a braid and maybe it wasn't possible without it down. Or maybe I look like the kind of person who doesn't want her hair pulled. (Or, maybe the places I went just happened to not have it as part of their "routine.")

Or you have been experiencing less stress in your life. Massages are good for stress relief, but if you don't have the stress, you don't need the massage.

Why not? Massages are nice, even if you're the most chill person in the world. I've never once had a massage for reasons of "stress." Doesn't mean it was pointless for me to have one. Massages aren't like mammograms... you can do them just because you want to.

neko_kawaii
August 31st, 2021, 07:36 PM
Why not? Massages are nice, even if you're the most chill person in the world. I've never once had a massage for reasons of "stress." Doesn't mean it was pointless for me to have one. Massages aren't like mammograms... you can do them just because you want to.

LOL, hilarious analogy.

Massages are expensive unless one has a willing person handy. My sister gives great back rubs and will start kneading shoulders without prompting, but I haven't lived near her for a couple decades. Massages are certainly not pointless, but not everyone likes to give a massage. *looks askance at husband* I'll take them when I can get them, but I'll only demand one when I really need it.

Kat
August 31st, 2021, 09:18 PM
LOL, hilarious analogy.

Massages are expensive unless one has a willing person handy. My sister gives great back rubs and will start kneading shoulders without prompting, but I haven't lived near her for a couple decades. Massages are certainly not pointless, but not everyone likes to give a massage. *looks askance at husband* I'll take them when I can get them, but I'll only demand one when I really need it.

Oh, definitely cost is an issue, but it is for people who need them for stress/muscle reasons too, unfortunately, and usually they're not covered by insurance. (I never got a massage before I lived in Thailand, and haven't since-- they're just way too expensive most places.)

lapushka
September 1st, 2021, 12:58 AM
I comb my hair about once a week as well, but that is because I'm lazy. Do you have any tips for not running your fingers along your scalp now and then or scratching an itch?

Knuckles of hands, like say of thumb or first knuckles instead of your finger pads, no no, I'm serious, because pads get intertwined with your hair easier (well, for me... somehow). If it's an itch. And pads gets all kinds of grime on them, oil, from sweat glands (come to think of it). Not that it matters *that* much, but yeah, I am really the other opposite of the spectrum careful, after messing my hair up for the better part of my almost half a century.

I don't run my fingers through my scalp. I stick my hands in above the scalp, to sort of "fluff" when I make my bun, but I don't rake, I don't do a thing, I just kind of bunch my hair up into its bun... benefit of floof, right? If, at all. ;)

It's why these kinds of subjects somehow get this fright response in me going, you know? But OP needs to do what's comfortable to her, nevermind us. It's just, to me, that would be too much damage. I have spent years being too careless with my hair. Trying to make good on the promise of never again.

neko_kawaii
September 1st, 2021, 07:04 AM
Knuckles of hands, like say of thumb or first knuckles instead of your finger pads, no no, I'm serious, because pads get intertwined with your hair easier (well, for me... somehow). If it's an itch. And pads gets all kinds of grime on them, oil, from sweat glands (come to think of it). Not that it matters *that* much, but yeah, I am really the other opposite of the spectrum careful, after messing my hair up for the better part of my almost half a century.

I don't run my fingers through my scalp. I stick my hands in above the scalp, to sort of "fluff" when I make my bun, but I don't rake, I don't do a thing, I just kind of bunch my hair up into its bun... benefit of floof, right? If, at all. ;)

It's why these kinds of subjects somehow get this fright response in me going, you know? But OP needs to do what's comfortable to her, nevermind us. It's just, to me, that would be too much damage. I have spent years being too careless with my hair. Trying to make good on the promise of never again.

LMAO, you really don’t want to know the state of my knuckles most of the time. Talk about grab and tear! If your finger pads are as grabby as my scabby knuckles, I can see why you would find the technique in the video damaging. Are you getting enough fluids? My pads only get grabby if I’m not drinking enough.

I’ve never been careless with my hair in the ways you were in the past, so I guess I have a different understanding of what is unavoidable wear and tear from living, as seen on my knuckles, hehe.

lapushka
September 1st, 2021, 07:10 AM
LMAO, you really don’t want to know the state of my knuckles most of the time. Talk about grab and tear! If your finger pads are as grabby as my scabby knuckles, I can see why you would find the technique in the video damaging. Are you getting enough fluids? My pads only get grabby if I’m not drinking enough.

I’ve never been careless with my hair in the ways you were in the past, so I guess I have a different understanding of what is unavoidable wear and tear from living, as seen on my knuckles, hehe.

:lol: Oh my gosh, thank you for that bit of laughter. I can up on the fluids, truthfully! I only mostly drink coffee (which is water too and is just a light dehydrator), and water as well, medium amount. My pads? Meh, my knuckles are in better condition. :lol: I hardly do stuff with my hands, though.

Yeah, came a long way, did just about every little thing worth a bit of damage to my hair in the past. It's been a big turnaround for me, and the slightest bit of even, hint of even pulling, tugging, even brushing I do with care, yeah... I get my knickers in a twist. :spitting: ;)

Glitch
September 1st, 2021, 11:58 AM
Only in bed. Otherwise, I don’t have any desire for my hair to be pulled, and actually feel annoyed by it like when I'm putting a hoodie on, or even if a bun is too tight and it yanks a bit on my roots or a certain section. Repeated tension on any area isn't good and can lead to traction alopecia and further irritation, so in general, I don't have a positive association with it.

As far as hair growth, stimulating the scalp is an excellent trigger, but via a gentle massage imo rather than by tension/pulling. If there's any damage starting right from the scalp/root of the hair, then pretty much the entire shaft will be compromised, so best to be careful. Just my take on it. :)

brickworld13
September 1st, 2021, 12:19 PM
Only in bed. Otherwise, I don’t have any desire for my hair to be pulled, and actually feel annoyed by it like when I'm putting a hoodie on, or even if a bun is too tight and it yanks a bit on my roots or a certain section. Repeated tension on any area isn't good and can lead to traction alopecia and further irritation, so in general, I don't have a positive association with it.

As far as hair growth, stimulating the scalp is an excellent trigger, but via a gentle massage imo rather than by tension/pulling. If there's any damage starting right from the scalp/root of the hair, then pretty much the entire shaft will be compromised, so best to be careful. Just my take on it. :)

That first bit you wrote….yeah I had to tell my partner to stop doing that. It wasn’t unpleasant at the time, BUT there was more shedding whenever it happened. *ahem*

I do understand what OP is trying to say. A light tug on the hair feels pretty nice once in a while. It’s not something I have in my regular routine though. My hair tangles easily and needs brushed at least daily. I’ve tried to cut back on extra manipulation. For one thing it’s getting really fragile as I approach mid thigh. For another, my patience to futz around with it is limited. Put it up and go is my favorite kind of styling. Every once in a while I might do something fancy, but I’m lazy and impatient about learning new styles.

spidermom
September 1st, 2021, 12:52 PM
No, I never feel the need or urge.

stardust lady
September 1st, 2021, 08:45 PM
I found a short video that demonstrates this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWhS7DbuyLY

Thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to describe.

I feel like the polar opinions on scalp massage/hair pulling is whether or not its beneficial to each individual to prioritize supporting the scalp at the cost of some potential mechanical damage. For myself, I have chronic pain from the shoulders/chest and up, and anything tension reducing has to take priority, therefore I do regular gentle scalp massages at the cost of some mechanic damage to my hair. I still want to enjoy nice hair, but tension relief is more important. But if you have no need for massage or hair pulling, I can totally understand why it would feel like a palpably bad idea. Intuition is really helpful with things like this, in my opinion.

That's also a completely valid reason to get a massage :D I'm the biggest fan of massages, I feel better even watching someone get one, or giving one myself. I considered becoming a massage therapist, but then I injured a couple of my fingers at my previous job. Boo.

Oh, definitely cost is an issue, but it is for people who need them for stress/muscle reasons too, unfortunately, and usually they're not covered by insurance. (I never got a massage before I lived in Thailand, and haven't since-- they're just way too expensive most places.)

The Thai massages I used to get were actually fairly inexpensive. They did walk-ins and I usually went with a friend. You are supposed to wear comfortable, loose clothing and you remain clothed and they do the massages in their main room (like 10 tables in a room). I think I only paid like $25 for 30 minutes, plus a $10 tip. That's about the price of dinner for two + drinks at an okay restaurant.

:lol:

C_Bookworm
September 1st, 2021, 10:43 PM
Getting a braid tugged on feels good. Loose, I’m not such a fan of. It’s hard to get a grip that applies uniform pressure, if that makes sense.

lapushka
September 1st, 2021, 11:51 PM
Thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to describe.

I feel like the polar opinions on scalp massage/hair pulling is whether or not its beneficial to each individual to prioritize supporting the scalp at the cost of some potential mechanical damage. For myself, I have chronic pain from the shoulders/chest and up, and anything tension reducing has to take priority, therefore I do regular gentle scalp massages at the cost of some mechanic damage to my hair. I still want to enjoy nice hair, but tension relief is more important. But if you have no need for massage or hair pulling, I can totally understand why it would feel like a palpably bad idea. Intuition is really helpful with things like this, in my opinion.

That's also a completely valid reason to get a massage :D I'm the biggest fan of massages, I feel better even watching someone get one, or giving one myself. I considered becoming a massage therapist, but then I injured a couple of my fingers at my previous job. Boo.

The Thai massages I used to get were actually fairly inexpensive. They did walk-ins and I usually went with a friend. You are supposed to wear comfortable, loose clothing and you remain clothed and they do the massages in their main room (like 10 tables in a room). I think I only paid like $25 for 30 minutes, plus a $10 tip. That's about the price of dinner for two + drinks at an okay restaurant.

:lol:

One of those YMMV things, I guess. :) I'm very glad it brings you relief! I can totally get why you would take any opportunity to lessen pain or discomfort! Totally. I suppose I had not looked at it like that.

I mean, yeah, the OP was phrased rather odd, but I think we all know by know what OP meant by this thread.

stardust lady
September 2nd, 2021, 11:25 AM
One of those YMMV things, I guess. :) I'm very glad it brings you relief! I can totally get why you would take any opportunity to lessen pain or discomfort! Totally. I suppose I had not looked at it like that.

I mean, yeah, the OP was phrased rather odd, but I think we all know by know what OP meant by this thread.

The wording was certainly alarming at first (which I admit is why I clicked on it) and I'm glad to know OP isn't suffering from trich. For a non-native English speaker, I think this was a really hard thing to describe. I've spoken English my entire life and I still found it challenging to describe. :laugh: