PDA

View Full Version : Updo frustration.

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I searched on the forum already for ideas on updos with people that have layers and at APL.I am so tired to doing just a cinnabun and a extremely messy chinese bun.I am nearly always in a ponytail because I hate having my hair down this time of year.Its hot and humid so I want to be able to do some really super cute updos.I have some hair sticks and a cheap plastic fork that does work wonders.I also have the buffalo horn hair fork that is pictured on my hair album.And a small sized Fakkare that holds pretty decent.

I am updo- making -challenged but after a few tries I eventually get it.I've also searched on youtube and break.com in desperation but didn't come out with anything that didn't involve hairspray and curling irons.No for those.As you can tell on the left side what my hair type is and my length.I would greaty appreciate any suggestions.I do wear half ups as well but again,my hair is mostly down and it's driving me nuts.:confused::confused::confused:

eta-I did just try the french twist with the single hairstick and it worked but my hair wasn't quite as long as it needs to be to sucessfully pull it off.

FrannyG
March 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
If you can just about do a French Twist, then what about a peacock twist? Also a Gibson Tuck might be good for your length and texture.

Carina
March 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm not very good at updos either:(.But as my hair grows longer I probably will change that.I just love to challenge myself.:D

florenonite
March 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I started a thread on this a few months ago, because my hair has the added problem of being thick, but fine (how does it work that one out? I must have a million hairs on my head!), but of course that's been lost atm.

A couple of things I remember were:
-French braids ending in a ponytail. This is a nice change from the ordinary ponytail, but because the braids stop at the nape you avoid the escaping layers.
-Gibson tuck (I could never get this one to work very well, though).
-French twist/Peacock Twist.
-A cluster of five or so smaller buns at the back of the head all together, rather than a single bun.
-a mock-braided bun, done by doing an ordinary three strand braid then rolling it up (rather than in a circle) and putting the stick through.

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
um...what's a Gibson tuck?? That sounds interesting.I just did the peacock twist and once again broke my hair stick:( I will try the mock braided bun though today and try not to break any sticks :(

kimki
March 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have the similar problem and my hair is much shorter than yours. :(

French Braid is a good idea, sometimes as my hair is really quite short, I pull my hair like a half up, and then the middle section in a ponytail and then work my way down in sections...if that doesn't make sense..here's what I mean :D: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/kim5uk/DSCF1408.jpg

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
thank you all so much.I'll try what I can but I'm just so disappointed in myself bc I can't do the wonderfull buns I see on here.I cannot wait untill the day I'll be able to do a celtic knot and the figure 8.

serenitygal
March 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
I'd highly recommend doing a French twist or peacock twist with two hairsticks. I can never make mine hold with just one. Try doing the updos on hair that is damp (spritzed, perhaps?) and use a little aloe vera gel to help hold. I can't get my hair up when it is dry. Try inserting the hairsticks diagonally across the updo, too; mine hold best when they aren't perfectly vertical or horizontal.
And don't feel bad about not being able to do some of those updos for longer hair! A lot of folks who can can't do things like a peacock twist. Besides, the hair WILL eventually grow, and you'll learn as it grows.
:flowers:

florenonite
March 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
kimki: Jasmine hair! (that's what my sister and I used to call it ... after Aladdin^_^)

Kirin
March 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
I too am updo challenged, with just past shoulder length layers growing out. Don't ask me to use a hairstick or fork, i'd probably poke my eye out. I stick with what I know, ouchless holders and barettes that i use CAREFULLY.

Here's two that might help, they work great for me:

The woefully easy twist. Yes, woefully easy, i'm wearing it right now (and, it looks pretty polished). Simply gather hair (i mist it first just a little it helps) as if you were making a mid-to-low pony, twist, secure up top with a barette, let the ends fan out. Looks great, no muss no fuss. The twist is particularly helpful in hiding those dern layers that want to poke out like antenne all over the place. Smooth sides down if nessesary with hairspray, aloe or somesuch it helps a lot. I know many are hairspray-phobic, (I'm not i believe seriously it was invented just for me lol), but there are other alternatives that work.

Second: The twisty tail / braid combo. Especially if you have several different lengths of hair this one works great. This is SUPER easy.

First, make a mid-high pony using ouchless pony holders using only the top section of hair (about ear level). Keep the pony holder about an inch to an inch and a half away from scalp. Reach under the ponytail sticking your fingers up in the middle through your hair between the pony holder and scalp, grab pony with fingers, pull through.

This looks is great just like this, or you can even take the end of that pony and braid to lay over the rest of your hair. Now if you want to have all your hair up, continue with this step two:

Gather all the hair now at nape of neck, and braid. Use an ouchless to secure the end. Fold up the braid pulling it through where you first pulled your pony through on the top ouchless. Use a bobby pin (or two) to hold it down under the folded braid to secure if nessesary. Voila, done. and it looks REALLY complicated.

Eventually i'll make a picture tutorial of this one, it works wonders for the updo challenged.

getoffmyskittle
March 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Try holding twists and things with clips, not sticks. You're probably breaking the sticks because you're twisting the hair too hard and then trying to force the stick through, but your hair is short enough that if you try to twist more loosely, you'll probably get layers falling out. Also, clips work better for holding layers and things in.

Good luck!

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I've got to stock up on mini claw clips because I have lost all but one of them.And thank you for the tip on keeping my sticks from breaking.I've broken so many pretty ones in the past three days.

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Kirin The second updo you described was kinda like the one I wore for a wedding last summer when my hair was at BSL.The grooms mother liked it so much,she asked me to put her waist length hair into that do.It used to be called the Topsy Turvy but to do it,a company tried to sell this comlicated tool to create the look with.I am going to take it to the next step like you do and see how that comes out.Thanks again everyone! :flowers:

kimki
March 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
kimki: Jasmine hair! (that's what my sister and I used to call it ... after Aladdin^_^)

Teehee...I can handle that! Maybe one day it will be as long as thick!...and I could have a magic carpet too...:D

manderly
March 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Well, your hair is about the same length as mine (and I have layers too!), so you should be able to do many of the same styles as I do.

The gibson tuck is great and simple. Like a topsy tail that you don't pull all the way through (the sticks are just added decoration):
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1038.jpg

Here's the southern tease I just learned the other day. I love this one, can't secure it with a hairstick, I used a pretty barrette:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-XBalPjVg

Very sloppy French twist:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1550.jpg

Peacock twist secured with a ficcare:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1231.jpg

Sock bun to make it look like you have tons of hair:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1214.jpg

Avoid using a hairstick for all your updos if you're having problems with them. I rarely use them for things other than decoration at this point because my hair is still too short to wear them loosely and comfortably.

HTH

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
that sock bun is great! do you have any links to where I can see how that is created?Again-youtube brought up nothing.I don't see how yur guys get all your tutorials when I bring up abunch of videos showing how to cut hair :(

eta-I'll have to look into getting a bigger fakkare right now,since I can't afford the real thing,to try that peacock twist.Thats great :) and thanks for all the photos manderly

manderly
March 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
Your welcome :)

Those photos were all actually when my hair was shorter, just about shoulder length, so I know you will be able to do them :)

For the sock bun, there used to be direction on the old LHC, but I'll try to explain until someone else can maybe post a link to the how to.

1. Cut the toe off a dark colored sock. (I used a black cotton men's sock)
2. Start at the toe, and start rolling the sock upwards to the elastic band. I discovered that this works best if you stick your arm through the sock and roll it down your arm. You will have a little donut.
3. This step is optional, but this is why mine is ginormous. Take the second sock from the pair, cut the toe off, then stick the first donut in the top edge of the ELASTIC end of the second sock. Roll the the sock around the donut all the way down to the toe area. Now you have a huge donut!

To do the style:

1. Make a ponytail and secure with an elastic.
2. Stick ponytail through center of donut and push against head.
3. Lean forward if necessary and arrange hair so it falls evenly around the donut. Slide a second rubber band around the donut and allow to get behind to secure your hair around the donut.
4. Tuck your hair ends behind the donut so it looks like a clean bun. Decorate around it if you wish.

Hope that is clear!

teela1978
March 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
You might want to try this thing I've been doing... I'm sure it has a name but right now I have no idea what it is. It looks like a peacock twist, but it's held with a stick, and it's going to be difficult to explain. Essentially you twist your hair into a bun (mine doesn't go all the way and has many ends sticking out), shove a stick through vertically from the bottom to the top (don't grab any extra hair, just go through the bun... the pointy end should be sticking straight up). Now, you're going to gently (if it's too tight, reposition, it shouldn't pull too much) flip the hairstick back up by sorta putting the pointy end behind where the bun is. I can't seem to get a great picture at the moment, but this is pretty much what it ends up looking like. It looks different every time I do it, sometimes there's no hair sticking out sometimes there's lots. Seems to hold better with a thick stick or a fork.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/20080223_flippedbunthing.jpg

Also, the multiple buns thing works pretty good. My hair is just below shoulderlength, and I love my triple buns (see avatar).

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
huhray for the sockbun! I really understood that,thanks for the easy explaination.I'm going to wait for DD2 to try these updos everyones giving me here.We all know its really hard to do updos right after we wash and dry :) I have so many options now other than a ponytail.Awesome!

and the triple bun looks cute.Never thought about that and I live in buns during the summer.

Shell
March 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I have a few suggestions. At your length I used bobby pins rather than sticks. I also used hair spray, evil maybe but necessary for tidy updos with layers. I also found a few videos for you. The first one has some great tips (with three updos) including hair nets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywgUDBpnX0&feature=related

The second one is the sock bun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8iZqobYaUk&feature=related

I also did this when I was growing it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1-tzBZDW3Q&feature=related

Hang in there--it gets longer!

Patrycja
March 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Shell Thank you so much for those videos.I'm going to save those in my favorites.I like how the girl braided the ends of her hair when doing the sock bun.And I did notice she learned it from LHC yea! :cheer:

missy60
April 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I played the Southern Tease video over and over but for some reason I just cant get it to work in my hair. I could scream it seems so easy.

Patrycja
April 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I played the Southern Tease video over and over but for some reason I just cant get it to work in my hair. I could scream it seems so easy.

me too.I have sat here over and over again following along with the girl and mine doesn't work whatsoever.

rubyredslippers
April 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
There's always pigtail braids, too, and teddy-ear buns with whatever anchoring you like.

Also, with half-ups you can pull off styles which usually require longer hair, and those are a nice look too.

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 08:45 AM
If I do a half up,I usually go for a mini cinnabun held with a small fork.Or I braid the hair that is held up and tie it with a ouchless band.I love half ups because they show my bottom layers off and they are just above BSL.

Finally!!

lora410
April 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Dont feel bad I am in the same boat. I am the frech twist and bun girl here. I can make a sock bun and a decent chinese bun though :D

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Lora410, I was just on another thread saying that I can make a chinese bun...but it looks nothing like it LOL I do the same exact things the directions show but with all my layers it kinda looks like a Orchid bun of all things...its super weird.

CurlyNinja
April 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
The cover updo called "nape knots" in my updo album would work great at your length! My hair is actually a little too long for it.

manderly
April 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM

me too.I have sat here over and over again following along with the girl and mine doesn't work whatsoever.

I love that style soooo much! Here's how I do it:

Hold my hair at a low pony at my nape.
Without twisting, bring the ends up to around earlobe level and hold against head.
Pinch the right side of the hair at nape level and bring to the center to meet with the pony you're holding against your head.
Repeat with the left side.
(since I use my ficcare for this and I slide with my right hand to the left I use the above directions, modify which side you start as you wish)
Using my Ficcare I slide from the right side of my head through the pony as far to the left as I can go. I don't encompass the entire thing, and I have to grab the right amount in order to keep the style from falling apart.

Hopefully that helps a bit, maybe I'll do a tut on it, I had a really hard time seeing her do it because her hair is such a dark color and there was little contrast to see what was actually going on.

missy60
April 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I love that style soooo much! Here's how I do it:

Hold my hair at a low pony at my nape.
Without twisting, bring the ends up to around earlobe level and hold against head.
Pinch the right side of the hair at nape level and bring to the center to meet with the pony you're holding against your head.
Repeat with the left side.
(since I use my ficcare for this and I slide with my right hand to the left I use the above directions, modify which side you start as you wish)
Using my Ficcare I slide from the right side of my head through the pony as far to the left as I can go. I don't encompass the entire thing, and I have to grab the right amount in order to keep the style from falling apart.

Hopefully that helps a bit, maybe I'll do a tut on it, I had a really hard time seeing her do it because her hair is such a dark color and there was little contrast to see what was actually going on.

Oh please, please do a tut on it those are really good directions but I still cant get it to work.

Anje
April 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Lots of good ideas here....

I just popped on to ask ilovemycop if she's tried using metal hairsticks. I find my VK Designs one to be near-indestructible, and I'm hard on sticks.

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've seen some very nice metal hairsticks here but I can't afford them quite yet.I know theres a way you can bend a knitting needle but I'm not quite sure on how to.Or what size to get.

missy60
April 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I have heard you bend them around the door knob its suppose to be easy to do, but for me easy things are not always so easy. The size thing Im not sure about myself I wonder that to.

Anje
April 10th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Well, the VK ones run $5 to $8, and shipping ran me $3.50 when I ordered 2 last year, so not too expensive. Quality leaves a bit to be desired, as they're often rough on the bottom, but they're strong, the shaft is smooth, and the price is right. I just measured and compared to the original email, and my supposedly 5.5 inch one is 7 inches with the topper bead, which is maybe 0.5". (Gotta get some metal snips and cut that thing down -- it's always been too long.) Length is fairly subjective. You can measure your bun and add maybe an inch for functional length, or you can measure the length of existing hairsticks that seem to fit your style well.

As far as knitting needles go, you want to get fairly skinny aluminum ones, probably 3 gauge or smaller (they get smaller as the number goes down). I've heard that some people bend them around dowels and doorknobs; I just found the midpoint and bent them with my hands.

Patrycja
April 12th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks anje.Joann's here is having a moving sale and I plan on going there tomorrow to pick up some knitting needles to do just what you recommended.:love: