PDA

View Full Version : Texturizer for hair and hair growth?

beckybourbon
August 4th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Hi! I Have waist length hair just ordered texturizer for my hair because I want to start doing more pretty braids and hairstyles. But now I feel guilty for buying it because I googled if it’s okay for hair growth and it says it can suck the moisture from your hair. Does anybody have experience with this? And does it totally stop growth?

Bri-Chan
August 4th, 2021, 05:48 PM
I don't have experience with this product, but if it makes your hair dryer isn't enough to use more conditioner or mask, or even conditioning twice?
I think a product could stop growth in that terms when it makes your hair sooo dry to promote breakage, but I still think you'll be ok with just more conditioner.

KokoroDragon
August 4th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Not sure what texturizer is, or why you would need it for braided styles? Could you include a link to the product?

As for stopping growth, I don't think anything you put on your hair could do that. Since hair grows from the scalp, a healthy scalp is the most important thing for growth. Some products/chemicals (like bleach) could encourage breakage though. If the product you're talking about is just drying, I would think a good conditioning treatment would combat that.

lapis_lazuli
August 4th, 2021, 06:16 PM
I think it's a texturizing iron they're referring to. The crimped pattern makes it easier to braid hair, or so I've heard.

I would just exercise the same caution as when using any other heat tool. Damage is always a possibility, including damage to the point of your hair growth stalling (breaking off as much as it's growing), but you'd have to weigh the risks and benefits for yourself.

illicitlizard
August 4th, 2021, 08:39 PM
If it's a hair product like a texturising spray for a bit of "grit" when styling that would likely be fine. Just make sure you're not aggressively handling it as you'd be more likely to get tangles if the product did tend to suck the moisture out of your hair.

If it's a crimping iron, generally will indeed lead to breakage with consistent use because of the heat damage. Minimising use and using a heat protectant would be your best bet. I've never heard of crimping hair to make braiding easier - I thought we'd put down the crimping irons in the early 2000s looks like I'm out of touch!

lapushka
August 5th, 2021, 09:21 AM
Hi! I Have waist length hair just ordered texturizer for my hair because I want to start doing more pretty braids and hairstyles. But now I feel guilty for buying it because I googled if it’s okay for hair growth and it says it can suck the moisture from your hair. Does anybody have experience with this? And does it totally stop growth?

If it's not near the root area, I hardly see how it can stop growth. :?:

If it's a spray: no worries. If it's a crimping iron, yeah... no. I wouldn't do it.

beckybourbon
August 5th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Not sure what texturizer is, or why you would need it for braided styles? Could you include a link to the product?

As for stopping growth, I don't think anything you put on your hair could do that. Since hair grows from the scalp, a healthy scalp is the most important thing for growth. Some products/chemicals (like bleach) could encourage breakage though. If the product you're talking about is just drying, I would think a good conditioning treatment would combat that.

here is the link! https://www.amazon.com/City-Grit-Matte-Texture-Spray/dp/B08BTJDZ3Y
it’s a texturizing spray. I used to use it to hold my braids in place all day when I had shorter hair. But now that it’s longer, I’m not sure if it’ll make my hair more unhealthy.

Jane99
August 5th, 2021, 07:07 PM
I would think the alcohol would be the drying component in this spray. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t use it on my hair but that’s just me.

GordonMurphella
August 6th, 2021, 04:04 AM
I would think the alcohol would be the drying component in this spray. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t use it on my hair but that’s just me.

The alcohol is likely just a carrier. It evaporates.

illicitlizard
August 6th, 2021, 05:10 AM
If it's just a texturising spray with drying alcohols I'd try it.

Just keep tabs on whether it seems to be drying your hair/causing damage as YMMV with that sort of thing.
It's unlikely to cause enough damage to lead to breakage after a few uses, you'd notice your hair becoming drier before that happened. If you do find it too drying then you've learned it's not for you :)

KokoroDragon
August 6th, 2021, 08:27 AM
here is the link! https://www.amazon.com/City-Grit-Matte-Texture-Spray/dp/B08BTJDZ3Y
it’s a texturizing spray. I used to use it to hold my braids in place all day when I had shorter hair. But now that it’s longer, I’m not sure if it’ll make my hair more unhealthy.

Oh, I see now! Yep, I'd give the same suggestions as illicitlizard on this. Some people use aloe or flaxseed gel to keep their braids from shredding, so if your spray ends up too drying for you those are some alternatives you could try.

beckybourbon
August 6th, 2021, 11:04 AM
If it's just a texturising spray with drying alcohols I'd try it.

Just keep tabs on whether it seems to be drying your hair/causing damage as YMMV with that sort of thing.
It's unlikely to cause enough damage to lead to breakage after a few uses, you'd notice your hair becoming drier before that happened. If you do find it too drying then you've learned it's not for you :)

makes sense, thank you!! 💜

beckybourbon
August 6th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Yeah it would be everywhere else except the root area. I’ll try it out and see if it works for me. Thanks!!

Glitch
August 6th, 2021, 04:04 PM
I'd love to get an update after you've tried this out. :D I've heard of these before and am pretty curious about it.