PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning for thick wavy hair

shelleyp61
November 14th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Hello all
Im new here and just wanted to ask all you lovely ladies with gorgeous hair for some advice.

I have long hair which is quite thick and wavy, theres masses of it and I would like to know what is a good conditioner for it.
Ive never coloured it and prefer not to use too many products, I do use a little Jojoba oil however it is still quite dry.

Many thanks ladies

Addy
November 14th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Hi and welcome! :)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil <EVOO> has helped my dry hair alot! Sometimes, I'll put a dab in my hands, rub together and do my length and ends and it makes my hair really soft! Other times, I'll do a heavy oiling and get it out with a conditioner only. It's kinda hard to believe that a conditioner alone will get the oil out but you'll have to see for yourself, not all hair likes EVOO so your individual mileage may vary with that.

ACV may help too. That's apple cider vinegar made into a rinse. I use a 20 oz Mt. Dew bottle with cool water and a splash of ACV after my conditioner. You can give a quick rinse afterward or leave it in and ring the excess out. It makes my hair really soft and doesn't stink once dry. Heck, I don't think it stinks when wet but who am I to say that? :D

As for conditioner, my all time fav <at the moment> is AUSSIE MOIST! :eyebrows:

Others will be around soon too add to my thoughts and offer more ideas I'm sure. I'm just a newbie! :D

Curlsgirl
November 14th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Your hair most definitely lacks moisture so getting moisture in it is the key. I would go for some deep treatments with heat with a good moisturizing conditioner. My favorite is Biolage Moisture therappe conditioning balm but you can use whatever your hair likes.

My hair also has benefitted a lot by a good moisturizing leave-in conditioner. I also use Biolage for this. Oils are great too but keep in mind they don't ADD moisture, they simply help to seal it in so you may want to try them on damp hair as some people get crunchiness on dry hair.

If you have poofy hair, you may want to ditch the brush too if you do brush. I only use a seamless wide tooth comb in the shower with lots of conditioner. Then after I get out I add a leave-in and don't touch my hair until it dries. Don't be afraid to add enough leave-in conditioner. If your hair is like mine you will need a lot because it will just soak it right up.

Indigosails
November 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM
During the short time I have been here I the best thing I have learned is to do the condition, wash, condition. After wetting my hair I condition from the ears down. Wash the head, rinse all and then condition everything. I didn't think that would make such a difference, but it really does. I've noticed a big improvement using the same products that I have on hand.

2luvmycurls
November 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I've noticed a huge improvement in my hair in general when I switched to no cones or fates in products. I also love coconut oil and try to do a nice heavy oiling once a week or so. My hair also really seems to love the SMT treatments I've discovered on these boards. My hair still is dry and I notice if I haven't conditioned it, but there's hope for us thick-headed gals and guys(hehe, or thick-haired I should say!) :)