PDA

View Full Version : Hair too long for curls?

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Hi lovely people,

The ends of my hair and my baby hairs have these beautiful, defined ringlets, but the lengths seem to turn out flat AND frizzy if I let them do what they want! I’m wondering if this is a long, fine, curly hair thing. It seems like my hair is just too heavy to have curls there.

Your experience or tips would be appreciated!

Shorty89
July 26th, 2021, 12:38 PM
How are you curling your hair? You may need a new method or maybe try using some curling cream?

ETA I can't read. Have you tried curl definign methods like the curly girl? It's worth a try although it may weigh down your fine hair. If nothignn else, I think plopping can help.

0xalis
July 26th, 2021, 01:00 PM
You can try resorting to one of the several heatless curl methods they have out there if your natural hair just isn't doing it's own thing anymore!
I used to have wavy hair but it randomly turned mostly-straight (probably hormonal idk) so now I just use braid waves because I don't feel like myself with straight hair.

Hairicome
July 26th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Mines sadly lost its curl with the length, there's now just a frizzy kink till about 3 inches from the end then I get lovely ringlets. I don't want to use heat on my hair but I'm so fed up of my mixed hair I'm tempted to straighten!! I'd be happy if I could find a decent serum to tame the frizz as the curls even at the ends are quite nice. I've even considered cutting just to see my curls again (but then I come back here and see people's long hair photos and I change my mind hehe)

lapushka
July 26th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Hi lovely people,

The ends of my hair and my baby hairs have these beautiful, defined ringlets, but the lengths seem to turn out flat AND frizzy if I let them do what they want! I’m wondering if this is a long, fine, curly hair thing. It seems like my hair is just too heavy to have curls there.

How long is your hair right now (body marker)?

It is normal for natural waves or curls to start sagging out when there's more length to them.

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 01:16 PM
How are you curling your hair? You may need a new method or maybe try using some curling cream?

ETA I can't read. Have you tried curl definign methods like the curly girl? It's worth a try although it may weigh down your fine hair. If nothignn else, I think plopping can help.

Thanks for your reply! The CGM does help, but I’m a low maintenance kind of gal and it’s so much work lol! I have to perfect the plopping method. I always get impatient and take it off lol!

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 01:18 PM
You can try resorting to one of the several heatless curl methods they have out there if your natural hair just isn't doing it's own thing anymore!
I used to have wavy hair but it randomly turned mostly-straight (probably hormonal idk) so now I just use braid waves because I don't feel like myself with straight hair.

I totally get that! Hair texture can definitely change over time. I do love a good braid out! :)

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Mines sadly lost its curl with the length, there's now just a frizzy kink till about 3 inches from the end then I get lovely ringlets. I don't want to use heat on my hair but I'm so fed up of my mixed hair I'm tempted to straighten!! I'd be happy if I could find a decent serum to tame the frizz as the curls even at the ends are quite nice. I've even considered cutting just to see my curls again (but then I come back here and see people's long hair photos and I change my mind hehe)

We are in the same boat!! I love my long hair but… I love curls too! Haha I literally have a random kink in my hair too. :’D

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 01:20 PM
How long is your hair right now (body marker)?

It is normal for natural waves or curls to start sagging out when there's more length to them.

I think that must be it! It’s creeping down my thighs at the moment.

Bri-Chan
July 26th, 2021, 01:46 PM
I guess some layers could help a little bit if you like the idea.

lapis_lazuli
July 26th, 2021, 02:22 PM
I'm not as curly as you, just very loose spirals, but I definitely have to fight to keep them in my hair. Freshly washed, they're most defined at my ends while the rest of the length is stretched out and looks more wavy. They flatten and frizz out more with the days even without bunning or braiding (I have to let my hair sit loose in a sleep cap to try to preserve my pattern). I do think it's the weight of the length making my hair straight combined with bun styling. If I'm going to wear my hair out, the best I can do is to wet the ends and let them dry returned to form.

Kathie
July 26th, 2021, 03:38 PM
While my hair isn't long I wanted to share that my strands are not course enough to easily hold their natural wave pattern.

Waves don't appear on the sections of my hair that rest against my head, only in the hair that hangs. Those that do appear will easily flatten out if I put my hair up.

You mention that your hair is fine so I think you are correct in thinking that this may play a role too.

lapushka
July 26th, 2021, 03:52 PM
I think that must be it! It’s creeping down my thighs at the moment.

Oh yeah, that'll do it! Must be very pretty though! :)

enting
July 26th, 2021, 04:05 PM
The weight of longer strands pulls out the curl for me. I get nicer curls if I let my hair dry in a loose bun, especially a topknot. It takes the weight off the strands as they dry so they're more likely to curl up. Letting hair dry overnight in a loose snood or something would have a similar effect I think. Plopping and scrunching used to do it for me at shorter lengths. Layers will help if you want them.

FaeBroom
July 26th, 2021, 06:13 PM
I saw some videos where they use a method of rolling each individual curl around two fingers along with some gel, it may be a lot of work but perhaps it'll last a few days? It comes out very defined. I also second the layers idea, to take some weight off.

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 07:25 PM
I guess some layers could help a little bit if you like the idea.

Sadly layers don’t work well with my hair length!

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 08:20 PM
I'm not as curly as you, just very loose spirals, but I definitely have to fight to keep them in my hair. Freshly washed, they're most defined at my ends while the rest of the length is stretched out and looks more wavy. They flatten and frizz out more with the days even without bunning or braiding (I have to let my hair sit loose in a sleep cap to try to preserve my pattern). I do think it's the weight of the length making my hair straight combined with bun styling. If I'm going to wear my hair out, the best I can do is to wet the ends and let them dry returned to form.

Thanks for your reply! I totally can relate! I end up going with the flattened bun hair most days lol.

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 08:22 PM
While my hair isn't long I wanted to share that my strands are not course enough to easily hold their natural wave pattern.

Waves don't appear on the sections of my hair that rest against my head, only in the hair that hangs. Those that do appear will easily flatten out if I put my hair up.

You mention that your hair is fine so I think you are correct in thinking that this may play a role too.

I totally agree! I’ve noticed that thicker hair types will keep a curl going throughout their whole length! I think some variation in curls is normal, but I think my upper area wants to curl but just can’t.

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Oh yeah, that'll do it! Must be very pretty though! :)

Aw shucks thanks. ❤️ I guess frizz is the price to pay for long curly hair.

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 08:26 PM
The weight of longer strands pulls out the curl for me. I get nicer curls if I let my hair dry in a loose bun, especially a topknot. It takes the weight off the strands as they dry so they're more likely to curl up. Letting hair dry overnight in a loose snood or something would have a similar effect I think. Plopping and scrunching used to do it for me at shorter lengths. Layers will help if you want them.

It sounds like you’re seeing the same thing! I do tend to fall back on braids or buns or other styles that force a pattern onto my hair, too, I just wish I could enhance my natural curls! I want to try plopping properly one day…

aenigmatica8
July 26th, 2021, 08:29 PM
I saw some videos where they use a method of rolling each individual curl around two fingers along with some gel, it may be a lot of work but perhaps it'll last a few days? It comes out very defined. I also second the layers idea, to take some weight off.

I bet that would work like a charm if I put in the work! Most wash days I try to put as little effort in as possible lol. Sadly layers would probably thin my hair out too much.

Lady Stardust
July 27th, 2021, 02:24 AM
Hi lovely people,

The ends of my hair and my baby hairs have these beautiful, defined ringlets , but the lengths seem to turn out flat AND frizzy if I let them do what they want! I’m wondering if this is a long, fine, curly hair thing. It seems like my hair is just too heavy to have curls there.

I think that pattern sounds just beautiful :crush: I find it mysterious and lovely when hair goes into ringlets at the end but is straighter above. I’ve always thought that must break the hair typing system :)

It might be worth looking at the products you are using to see if they could be causing the frizz (I understand that glycerin can be a culprit) but it could just be down to texture. If your hair is inherently curly then the shorter hairs making their way down the length are likely to curl out (I think?)

Your hair sounds stunning.

aenigmatica8
July 27th, 2021, 06:54 AM
I think that pattern sounds just beautiful :crush: I find it mysterious and lovely when hair goes into ringlets at the end but is straighter above. I’ve always thought that must break the hair typing system :)

It might be worth looking at the products you are using to see if they could be causing the frizz (I understand that glycerin can be a culprit) but it could just be down to texture. If your hair is inherently curly then the shorter hairs making their way down the length are likely to curl out (I think?)

Your hair sounds stunning.

You are soo sweet!! ❤️ I think you’re so right about the glycerin! I’ve noticed that using glycerin leave ins makes the frizz so much worse, especially on humid days. I think at the end of the day, I have to accept this as my natural texture. Putting some effort into it wouldn’t hurt either. 😅 Thanks for your reply! ☺️