PDA

View Full Version : Rapunzel Alopecia

foreveryours
July 22nd, 2021, 04:21 PM
Found this recent short publication while doing some research

"Rapunzel Alopecia: A Peculiar Form of Non-Marginal Traction Alopecia Secondary to Excessively Long Hair"

Skin Appendage Disorders 6:323-325 (2020)

Full Text (https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/508727)

Kathie
July 22nd, 2021, 04:47 PM
So if Im reading this correctly they found that their were signs of inflammation on her scalp and because they couldn't find an inflammatory agent they suggested she cut her hair short?

My first thought when I saw this was that old wives tale- long hair will fall out because the follicles cant handle the weight. I dont believe it, of course. To many examples here to prove otherwise.

Gem
July 22nd, 2021, 06:08 PM
I'm going to guess it had something to do with her combing and/or brushing technique. Plenty of people here have longer hair than her with no problems.

secret soup
July 22nd, 2021, 06:33 PM
"Skin Appendage"? Never thought of hair that way before LOL

Kathie
July 22nd, 2021, 06:39 PM
Yeah, if it really was a thing I think it would be observed a lot here.

I think the authors would see her long hair is as unusual and because of that the likely cause.

Something was causing inflammation, which likely contributed.

I wonder if she regularly changed her part position? If not that might of helped.

She or the authors really should of consulted the LHC :p

Kathie
July 22nd, 2021, 06:41 PM

That is funny!

They also refer to her hair as a long mane in fig. 1.

Edit- the research was conducted in Spain. So english may not be the authors first language. I don't mean to offend.

Im a fan of using unusually words- so their word use does make me smile.

lapis_lazuli
July 22nd, 2021, 06:41 PM
I wish there was a conclusion about that particular patient. Did shorter hair resolve the issue? I have a hard time believing their theory; I wouldn't at all consider loose Classic length hair an "excessive weight" that could cause alopecia (even if so, why only mid-scalp?) The way she regularly styled her hair wasn't noted either. It was an interesting read though. What's your opinion on it?

foreveryours
July 22nd, 2021, 07:42 PM
I wish there was a conclusion about that particular patient. Did shorter hair resolve the issue? I have a hard time believing their theory; I wouldn't at all consider loose Classic length hair an "excessive weight" that could cause alopecia (even if so, why only mid-scalp?) The way she regularly styled her hair wasn't noted either. It was an interesting read though. What's your opinion on it?

The finding was traction alopecia. Traction from what?

I would not expect that "loose Classic" as pictured would produce this. BUT

Her waves are very similar to braid waves I see in my own hair photos (shape, placement, slant). Although her particular hair styles and durations were not described (I wish more note of this had been made), it appears to me she wears a braid much of the time. Putting long hair into an unsupported braid concentrates all of its weight upon a small area of the scalp. No longer is each follicle bearing the weight of its own individual strand as when worn loose. Some more, some significantly more (ever get one of those "pieces" in your braid?) and some less.

No followup has been published but the PI's email address is given in the paper.

foreveryours
July 22nd, 2021, 07:46 PM

The more you learn, the less you know :p

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482237/

lapis_lazuli
July 22nd, 2021, 08:20 PM
The finding was traction alopecia. Traction from what?

I would not expect that "loose Classic" as pictured would produce this. BUT

Her waves are very similar to braid waves I see in my own hair photos (shape, placement, slant). Although her particular hair styles and durations were not described (I wish more note of this had been made), it appears to me she wears a braid much of the time. Putting long hair into an unsupported braid concentrates all of its weight upon a small area of the scalp. No longer is each follicle bearing the weight of its own individual strand as when worn loose. Some more, some significantly more (ever get one of those "pieces" in your braid?) and some less.

No followup has been published but the PI's email address is given in the paper.

Oh that's a good point. It lends more credence to the theory, but then the main problem is still the style and not the length, even if it does contribute. I didn't get the impression that's what they meant reading the paper, but I'm glad you brought it up and I'll keep it in mind.

Kathie
July 22nd, 2021, 08:34 PM
I would definitely classify this as an observational study as there is no empirical evidence showing a cause. So all we and the authors can do is speculate! But its an interesting paper nonetheless.

secret soup
July 22nd, 2021, 09:07 PM
That is funny!

They also refer to her hair as a long mane in fig. 1.

Edit- the research was conducted in Spain. So english may not be the authors first language. I don't mean to offend.

Im a fan of using unusually words- so their word use does make me smile.

Ahhhh...this makes more sense! I was wondering if they were just using weird scientific jargon ...

GoddesJourney
July 22nd, 2021, 09:34 PM
It's totally possible that this was simply an isolated case. Some people may have some scalp sensitivity. It may also be some product that makes her more sensitive or makes her shed. Just because they couldn't isolate anything, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

florenonite
July 23rd, 2021, 05:44 AM
It's totally possible that this was simply an isolated case. Some people may have some scalp sensitivity. It may also be some product that makes her more sensitive or makes her shed. Just because they couldn't isolate anything, it doesn't mean it isn't there.Yeah, I don't think the fact that many people manage to grow long hair just fine means that it's impossible for someone to have traction alopecia due to the weight of long hair. I often can't wear buns once my hair is past BSL because they're too heavy and pull at my scalp; this isn't invalidated by the fact that there are hundreds of LHCers with more hair who wear their hair in a bun every day. That said, it doesn't strike me as a well-conducted study because they didn't actually report back on whether cutting the hair solved the problem, and because they suggested several things to her (cutting hair, changing brushing pattern, AND applying a topical treatment), which makes it impossible to isolate which, if any of them, could have been the solution.

Kathie
July 23rd, 2021, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I don't think the fact that many people manage to grow long hair just fine means that it's impossible for someone to have traction alopecia due to the weight of long hair. I often can't wear buns once my hair is past BSL because they're too heavy and pull at my scalp; this isn't invalidated by the fact that there are hundreds of LHCers with more hair who wear their hair in a bun every day. That said, it doesn't strike me as a well-conducted study because they didn't actually report back on whether cutting the hair solved the problem, and because they suggested several things to her (cutting hair, changing brushing pattern, AND applying a topical treatment), which makes it impossible to isolate which, if any of them, could have been the solution.

Indeed, but you are talking about the weight/length of the hair combined with a particular hairstyle.

The conclusion that it was simply cause by long hair is to simplistic.

If it was simply just the weight of the hair... no other influencing factors... then we would hear about it on this forum.

MusicalSpoons
July 23rd, 2021, 11:04 AM
Haven't read the paper, but mid-scalp makes me think even improper washing could have been a cause.

:shrug: from the other comments already about how lax a 'study' it was, guess we'll never know!