PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a cut, again

Isilme
July 17th, 2021, 05:39 AM
As the title says, I'm thinking of chopping a bit again. Awhile ago I went from classic to TB/hip but the weather is hot as Hades and with climate change it doesn't look like summers are going to get cooler and I'm just fed up with my long thick hair. Has anyone any ideas on nice shorter haircuts which encourages waves? I still want it to be longish, I've thought about the classic Hollywood look but on hot evenings when the temperature is 27 C in the bedroom I've had thoughts about a shag cut, kind of like the woman in the Eurovision band which won. With my second Covid vaccine jab coming up the allure of going into a cool salon with AC and being literated from some hair is getting stronger.

ZoeZ
July 17th, 2021, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure if you're trying to talk yourself out of a cut, but if you are, here's my take: I find that long hair is so much easier and cooler than a short shag hairstyle that always seems to get me a sweaty neck. And two seconds is all it takes with a claw clip to get it up. I used to think longer hair would be hotter, but not for me, at least.

Whichever your decision, good luck!

Lady Stardust
July 17th, 2021, 07:36 AM
In my mind the classic Hollywood look and a shag cut are quite similar as far as haircuts go, except for length. You could look up the Femme Fatale version of a middy cut, which is basically a U shape with long layers. Usually it would have 2 or 3 layers but there’s no reason why you couldn’t do more with much longer length. When the middy is cut to around shoulder length it’s more like a shag cut.

The layers would probably encourage waves and would remove weight, which might be good if your hair is feeling thicker and heavier than you like. (Lauren Bacall had a U shape without layers, I believe, so layers aren’t necessary if that’s the kind of look you’re going for.) A lot of the Hollywood styles were done to show off curls and the layers helped with this and made the setting pattern easier.

I’m not a hairdresser but I have recently read an awful lot about middy cuts because I love them :)

Isilme
August 12th, 2021, 08:26 AM
In my mind the classic Hollywood look and a shag cut are quite similar as far as haircuts go, except for length. You could look up the Femme Fatale version of a middy cut, which is basically a U shape with long layers. Usually it would have 2 or 3 layers but there’s no reason why you couldn’t do more with much longer length. When the middy is cut to around shoulder length it’s more like a shag cut.

The layers would probably encourage waves and would remove weight, which might be good if your hair is feeling thicker and heavier than you like. (Lauren Bacall had a U shape without layers, I believe, so layers aren’t necessary if that’s the kind of look you’re going for.) A lot of the Hollywood styles were done to show off curls and the layers helped with this and made the setting pattern easier.

I’m not a hairdresser but I have recently read an awful lot about middy cuts because I love them :)

Thanks so much for your answer, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you! I like your suggestions, I might even go for a semi long middy cut if I get tired of longer hair. Now that I've had my second vaccine dose I can start looking for a skilled hairdresser :)

lapushka
August 12th, 2021, 09:48 AM
Thanks so much for your answer, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you! I like your suggestions, I might even go for a semi long middy cut if I get tired of longer hair. Now that I've had my second vaccine dose I can start looking for a skilled hairdresser :)

Stay safe though, even *with* a 2nd vaccine, and wait 2 weeks at least for it to settle in & start working. Just FYI. You might already know this, in which case: oops. ;) Being vaccinated is no reason to go "nuts" and just do whatever, IMHO. Not that going to the hairdresser is that, but I'd still be very very careful. There are vaccinated people getting sick!

Lady Stardust
August 12th, 2021, 09:56 AM

Ah great, let us know how you get on!

I have a feeling I read about a vintage/retro salon in Sweden that does middy cuts, I’ll have a look and see if I can dig up the details!

ETA: I found it, but it’s in Stockholm so I don’t suppose that’s much use to you! The salon was called Retroella but the reference I found to it was from a few years ago.