PDA

View Full Version : Unrelated lessons from growing long hair.

GoddesJourney
July 16th, 2021, 11:24 PM
I think we used to have a thread like this but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, our washer machine tends to turn the arms and legs of clothing into a giant tangled mess. Everyone else in the house gets irritated by it. But growing long hair has taught me a lot about the way tangles work. By some LHC magic I acquired by the powers of long hair, I just gently shake them apart and throw them in the dryer. No work at all. No undoing knots. No yanking or pulling. It's amazing. :surprise::agape::rockerdud

It reminds me of a conversation I had the other day with an old friend and fellow martial artist about the ability to stand on one leg and actually use the other to do something while your hands are preoccupied coming in useful time and time again with unrelated activities that require the same skill.

So what have you learned from growing long hair that is not about hair?

foreveryours
July 17th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Anyway, our washer machine tends to turn the arms and legs of clothing into a giant tangled mess. Everyone else in the house gets irritated by it. But growing long hair has taught me a lot about the way tangles work. By some LHC magic I acquired by the powers of long hair, I just gently shake them apart and throw them in the dryer. No work at all. No undoing knots. No yanking or pulling. It's amazing. :surprise::agape::rockerdud

It reminds me of a conversation I had the other day with an old friend and fellow martial artist about the ability to stand on one leg and actually use the other to do something while your hands are preoccupied coming in useful time and time again with unrelated activities that require the same skill.

LOL, I don't even bother wet, I wait until after the mass is dry. Then it just falls apart - MUCH EASIER! :p

yulia396
July 21st, 2021, 12:09 PM

Oh, this is such a nice thread :flower: I can relate. I feel like, thanks to long hair, I became a lot more patient and handy. I think that these skills I developed in the long run of my haircare journey. I seem to be more patient with everything in life, knowing good things take time - and I really don't mind giving my time at all, even if it takes years, if I know that the result is worth it. This mentality appeared along my haircare journey and I started implementing it in everything, even health: I don't mind eating healthy food over yummy instant food if I know that in time my body will thank me for it. Same goes to skincare, profession, dog grooming and care. I think patience is a really big key in life and in today's corporatist world we want to have everything fast. I think value truly hides in time. If I could have classic length hair instantly, it would have absolutely no beauty or value. As cheesy as this might sound, but the essence of life really is nurturing and caring - we grow food this way, we grow nice relationships this way, and we grow our hair too :) To me, hair is special because it tells me something about a person. Back in my teenage years I had no patience to brush it, I always ripped my hairs a bit. Compared to those nasty times, now I invest in a good bamboo brush and I'm very careful about my brushing technique - I don't press the brush at all and many times I just gently shake the hair and the strands fall apart, as you said, knowing that "hair will find its way out of a tangle". And that always works, our hair is smarter than we think :p
Also, being into haircare I realized how important nutrition is for my body's organs. This sounds funny because who wouldn't know, but in my teenage years I was starving myself quite much to look pretty and even after the rough times were over, the tendency still haunted me. So with these ED-like symptoms (I never went to a doc with this or was diagnosed), I really think haircare was what got me out of this hell. I wanted long hair and I understood that, for that, I have to respect and appreciate my body. Now I'm on a very different page when it comes to food.

Many people joke about LHCitis and LHC outsiders say that obsessing/fussing over hair is mentally unhealthy. I think that overall my passion for hair has taught me a lot of valuable things. I've been thinking about this for a while. I do think it's an experience to be grateful for

Kalamazoo
July 23rd, 2021, 04:16 PM
I appreciate everybody's examples of how to stand up and speak for oneself, to respect one's own wisdom above surrounding people's cut-downs & other foolishness, to stand one's ground.

lunalocks
July 23rd, 2021, 04:24 PM
Knowing who you can trust to show your hair to, who supports and encourages you, is a sign of who you can trust with other sensitive issues.

Fitzpatrick
July 23rd, 2021, 04:43 PM
What long hair has taught me is to be more fragile in handling things. Like holding delicate glass objects. Some might wonder why this is so, it really lies in how delicate the ends of your hair are. I guees you can see the comparison. Not letting everyday people touch your hair is important as you don't want them tangling or pulling your hair. It is important to have a time set for maintenance of the scalp and hair. Scalp health is like tending to and keeping plants alive, just think the right amount of fertilizer, sunshine and water.

Iyashikei
July 24th, 2021, 10:26 AM

I never knew about the shaking thing. Tried it on my sleeping braid this morning and it worked! Thanks a lot!