PDA

View Full Version : Drying Rag Curls (Seeking Advice)

LadyLeMarre
July 15th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Hi!

The curl method that has been most effective for me is the Victorian Rag Curl method. I actually start with dry hair, use a fine comb to apply flaxseed setting lotion throughout the hair, and then put it up in about 10 sausages.
However, there is one problem: for me, it takes FOREVER to dry! I can sleep in them, and they will still be damp when I wake up. Even several hours after that, they are still damp. I usually have to use a hair dryer on the curls and shift the hair around with my fingers for it to finally dry. Because drying it takes so much effort, I rarely curl my hair.
My ponytail measurement is about 3 inches, which is one reason I make so many sausages. I try to make sure the hair is spread out flat on the curling rag. I think my hair just likes holding water or something. :P
Anyhow, any advice/tips you can give would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

FrayedFire
July 15th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Could you mist on the flaxseed after putting in the curlers?

sipnsun
July 16th, 2021, 06:21 AM
I usually put aloe gel in while my hair is wet and let it dry completely before doing my overnight curls. I still get the benefit from the gel without damp hair in the morning.

lapushka
July 16th, 2021, 06:32 AM
How damp is the flaxseed concoction making it?

Try it with water alone, just mist (one tiny fine mist spritz = enough) a section and roll it. It should not even be damp.

illicitlizard
July 16th, 2021, 06:52 AM
Hi and welcome :)

My hair is also super slow to dry - especially in heatless curl sets. The things that help me are starting with fully dry hair. I spray with water (I haven't yet tried setting lotion) until just barely damp which is key for me - a little water works wonders and otherwise hair just won't dry. I've also heard of using rags that absorb some of the extra moisture like silk or cotton.

SwanFeathers
July 16th, 2021, 08:46 AM
the type of fabric you use for your rags is also a factor. using 100% cotton, microfiber, or linen will be faster than a poly mix. linen and micro being the fastest. it also just takes a long time. 18ish hours isn't uncommon, but you are usually set for the rest of the week.