PDA

View Full Version : Curly roots straight/wavy length

Gypsy_Nerd
July 15th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Hello all! I’ve been a long time lurker but I think this is my first post. I have an issue I can’t quite figure out.

Some background:
I have iron deficiency anemia that has caused excess hair fall. That’s being treated and my levels are almost back to normal.

Last March I got COVID and was sick through the end of May 2020ish. This also caused my hair to almost stop growing then I got a massive shed.

I’ve finally gone from jaw length to APL in the last year. I had a trim a couple months ago that took off some damage that was mostly from using color oops to remove some stubborn semipermanent dye (ion brand).

Since then I’ve been using sulfate free shampoo and silicone free repairing conditioner. I only use heat once or twice a month and use a nexus heat protectant when I do.

Because of the hair loss I ended up with a lot of baby hairs. These have decided to go curly!

Gypsy_Nerd
July 15th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Looks like I lost my full post 😞

Hello all! I’ve been a long time lurker but I think this is my first post. I have an issue I can’t quite figure out.

Some background:
I have iron deficiency anemia that has caused excess hair fall. That’s being treated and my levels are almost back to normal.

Last March I got COVID and was sick through the end of May 2020ish. This also caused my hair to almost stop growing then I got a massive shed. Both of these led to very thin hair, I have a lot of density so I didn’t get noticeable bald patches.

I’ve finally gone from jaw length to APL in the last year. I had a trim a couple months ago that took off the last few inches of damage that was mostly from using color oops to remove some stubborn semipermanent dye (ion brand). All the hair currently on my head is virgin/undyed.

Since then I’ve been using sulfate free shampoo and silicone free repairing conditioner. I only use heat once or twice a month and use a nexus heat protectant when I do.

Because of the hair loss And now growth I ended up with a lot of baby hairs. These have decided to go curly!

My hair is normally like 2A/B but I lose my waves if I comb or sleep on them. I have around 3-4 inches of new growth that is 3A-3C!

I have tried everything I know from my past experiments with CGM but I can’t get the length to curl and I can’t get the new growth to go straight or lay down! I look like a hot mess! 😂 My wedding is September 4th and I’d love to look elegant for it! 😂 I have a very sensitive scalp so I have to be careful with what products I use.

Any suggestions/tips/ideas are welcome! 😆

TIA

PeonyBlue
July 15th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Hi Gypsy_Nerd…and welcome to the wonderful world of posting!

I’m sorry to hear everything you’ve gone through recently. There’s no doubt that our general health takes a toll on our hair. It seems like it’s not unusual for hair to decide to have texture change after health issues…unfortunately the older hair that’s been though it all never gets that message. I remember my sister going through a similar journey, and she was only really happy with her curlier hair once it started to catch up.

I don’t know if I have great words of wisdom based on her experience - she decided to cut her hair to incorporate the new, but I get that you won’t want to do that. If I were in that situation, I might try ditching the CGM for a while, and use heavier products that will weigh the curls down a bit and then live in updos to help hide the different textures.

Gypsy_Nerd
July 16th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Thank you! I’m not wanting to chop it again as I am growing our from my last one and want long hair for my wedding 😩 I’d be happy with the curly hair of all of it would cooperate 🤣

Glitch
July 16th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Purely because the wedding date is so soon, I'd look into extensions for the big day and then style them into whatever look. I don't ever wear extensions regularly (that's my real hair in my photos on here! but it took lots of time and effort to even learn how to get there...), but on very special occasions (such as graduation), I put on crown extensions (these type of extensions don't yank on the hair at all, it's basically like a tiara you just put on!) so I don't have to panic so much about my hair having a mind of its own during those stressful times.

Wishing you good health this year and hope you can figure this out soon!

baanoo
July 17th, 2021, 08:34 PM
My heart goes out for what you have been through! Peony is right about texture changes and depending on the look, Glitch’s supplementary extensions idea may be a safe way to go.

If I were in your situation, I would start experimenting with various products and updos - salt spray with a French twist or tucked French braid? Aloevera gel and pin curls? Crown braid? You’ve got options that suit all your textures, try not to worry too much. :)