PDA

View Full Version : DIY Dusting

Alana2000
November 13th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Thinking about dusting my own hair... to get rid of a bad razor job... anyone else do this? Any suggestions? Its been months since this razor issue and a feel a need for fresh ends, but I do not want to go to a salon.

AnneAdeline
November 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I've never done this, so I can't help you, but I'm interested in how to also. Is it just grabbing pieces and trimming off the ends?

Lamb
November 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have done something like that before. The back may be problematic, though. Basically, I took very small sections and felt for the ends with my fingertips, and just "scraped" the ends off with the scissors. Meticulous job, make sure you are totally relaxed and focused, and take your time. Again, you might need help for the back!

ChloeDharma
November 14th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Thinking about dusting my own hair... to get rid of a bad razor job... anyone else do this? Any suggestions? Its been months since this razor issue and a feel a need for fresh ends, but I do not want to go to a salon.

I snip off individual splits, but haven't really cut my own hair yet except one time when i was cutting quite a bit off anyway then got it evened up afterwards.
Some people trim their own hair using Feye's tehnique but i don't have a link to the instructions now....hopefully someone else will post it here.

Arctic_Mama
November 14th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Feye's self-trim technique:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

Hope that helps :) A good technique for dusting splits up the LENGTH of your hair is to take small sections, maybe an inch or two wide, and then twist them tightly. Any shorter pieces will stick out from the twist and you can easily snip them off, just in case the dusting of the ends doesn't get them all!

Comfrey
November 14th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I just dont have the guts to do the self trim. I just KNOW I'd mess it up. But I'd like to learn dusting I must admit. I'd ask hubby to help but the thought of him near my hair with a pair of scissors brings me out in hives :rolleyes:

Ryanne
November 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I used Feye's self-trim technique a while ago, I think it worked.

jojo
November 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I was doing this regular, all you do is follow Feyes cutting guide but just take like ----> - much off, you will be suprised the difference it makes and you don't lose no length either.

Isa-belle
November 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I have been trimming my own hair for almost a year now using Feye's technique. Just relax and breathe deeply :) You'll be done in no time.

Fencai
November 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM
im glad this post was here!!!! I had been thinking about the same thing!!!
I think this will be my sunday project as saturday is the henna project! :p

Heidi_234
November 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I just bought a pair of hair cutting scissors to do self dustings.
I only wonder - how can I do Feye's self trim if I have layers in my hair hair?

heidi w.
November 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
A. Is this question oriented towards some kind of self trim of the hemline ONLY

OR

B. Is this a question on how to remove splits from throughout the entire length by yourself?

If the former, I can't help; if the latter, I explain the HOW TO

Do not 'shave' the ends in either scenario. I'll explain more later once I know what you want.

Yes, you can do the latter for layers.

heidi w.

Kirin
November 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I do dustings all the time, just did one this morning! Basically I just use Feye's method, just skimming the ends with scissors, instead of taking off a lot.

I am growing out layers, so I only dust the bottom, eventually the layers will catch up.

Heidi_234
November 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
A. Is this question oriented towards some kind of self trim of the hemline ONLY

OR

B. Is this a question on how to remove splits from throughout the entire length by yourself?

If the former, I can't help; if the latter, I explain the HOW TO

Do not 'shave' the ends in either scenario. I'll explain more later once I know what you want.

Yes, you can do the latter for layers.

heidi w.

Well my initial intention was to micro-trim, as said to me - "a little bit benefits a lot". Since it's been over three months since I trimmed my hair at the salon, I'm getting quite a lot of split ends and white tips. For me it appears necessary to do some trimming right now, or I'll end up with all my hair in splits (it happened to me once already) and me going back to the barber, who always cuts more than a inch for sure, each time.
I don't care much about how my hemline looks, or are my layers even, or anything of a kind. But if I can't do option B, I can settle for A, you said it can be done with layers.
Either way, I'm very interested in your explanation. What do you mean by saying that I don't need to 'shave' the ends?

30isthenewblack
November 15th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Well my initial intention was to micro-trim, as said to me - "a little bit benefits a lot". Since it's been over three months since I trimmed my hair at the salon, I'm getting quite a lot of split ends and white tips. For me it appears necessary to do some trimming right now, or I'll end up with all my hair in splits (it happened to me once already) and me going back to the barber, who always cuts more than a inch for sure, each time.
I don't care much about how my hemline looks, or are my layers even, or anything of a kind. But if I can't do option B, I can settle for A, you said it can be done with layers.
Either way, I'm very interested in your explanation. What do you mean by saying that I don't need to 'shave' the ends?

I think Heidi was replying back to the OP when she spoke about shaving.

I microtrim my layers by putting my hair in a scrunchie and separating the layers so I'm only bringing those sections to the front and trimming them. I make sure that I use a separate scrunchie or bobby pins to seperate the trimmed hair from the untrimmed hair. I start with the shorter layers first and work my way around to the longest layers. I hope that helps :)

Heidi_234
November 15th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I think Heidi was replying back to the OP when she spoke about shaving.

The OP asked nothing about layers, so I thought it was for me. My bad.