PDA

View Full Version : K18 PeptideTM bimimetics

copperlites
July 5th, 2021, 12:44 PM
My hairdresser is advertising the K18Peptide™ molecular repair treatment leave-in molecular repair hair mask. Has anyone heard of it? Tried it?

The website claims “This at-home leave-in treatment infused with our patented K18Peptide™ repairs even the most extreme damage. Just one application renews hair to its most youthful, healthy state. “
Unlike other keratin treatments which require hours of processing and application with heat and straighteners this is an after towel drying application..
This is the website
https://www.k18hair.com/pages/consumer
I am keen to hear the thoughts of our hair science experts.

Jools69
July 5th, 2021, 02:32 PM
No, I haven’t heard of it, but what jumped out at me on their website is the claim in big writing: ‘with just one salon treatment hair is restored to 91% original strength and 94% original elastically’. Then in much smaller print it states: ‘results observed in a clinical study while using mist and mask as part of a bleaching treatment. Results may very depending on hair type, quality and history’.

So, IMHO, not everyone will have that result and it depends on other products being used. Furthermore, the researcher in me queries the ‘clinical study’ that claims these results. We have no information how it was performed: How big was the study and how many? What demographic did they test it on? Was there a ‘control group’? Were there any limitations? How long did the results last? Plus, there’s no further information on whether you need further applications to maintain the results.

foreveryours
July 5th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Hmmm ... I'm no hair science expert but anything claiming to be "patented" without providing an actual patent number so you can read it yourself screams more sales pitch than actual science. IMHO.

Jools69
July 6th, 2021, 01:48 AM
Hmmm ... I'm no hair science expert but anything claiming to be "patented" without providing an actual patent number so you can read it yourself screams more sales pitch than actual science. IMHO.
Indeed. A lot of these hair products are hyped up to sell, whilst playing on emotions. Products claiming to ‘repair’ damage is always very dubious to me.

copperlites
July 6th, 2021, 06:02 AM
Judging by the info on the website it’s a leave in conditioner, aimed to repair damage from bleaching.
My own fragile baby fine hair is hennaed and I wondered if this would help with breakage and be ok with Henna. I’ve submitted a few questions via the website. I’ll Report back.

Nox_Inber
July 6th, 2021, 02:22 PM
It looks interesting enough. I searched around the web and the only reviews I found were from influencers or professionals, aka people who have a financial investment in hair care products. I'm skeptical of how well this stuff actually works but it would be awesome if it fixed hair damage. I suppose the only way to find out is to wait for some real reviews to come out. It's crazy expensive though so I can't imagine a lot of people are rushing to go out and buy this stuff.

Fimu
January 1st, 2022, 08:09 AM
Upping this thread because I'm curious if other LHC-ers also have experience with K18

Diana Prince
January 1st, 2022, 08:36 AM
Upping this thread because I'm curious if other LHC-ers also have experience with K18

Hello! I don't know why but the forum doesn't let me reply to your message, so I rewrote it here, hope this info helps you.

Unfortunately K18 has done nothing good to my hair :(. I've used it as they recommend it - I've applied it 4 consecutive washes and then every 4th wash, no rinse out conditioner after and it has made my hair very tangled, snarly and dry. My hair breaks after applying K18 when trying to brush it (my hair never behaves this way even if I don't apply leave in conditioner). I use oil after my hair dries so I can brush it, but that makes my hair look unwashed so it's a pain to do this treatment.

I don't have very damaged hair, just a bit on my ends, and other than making my hair feel stronger (though that's very subjective, I don't know how to measure the strength of my hair in a standard way), K18 has done nothing else for me. I think the high quantity of denaturated alcohol is definitely too much for my hair to handle. I cannot recommend K18 as it's very expensive and I don't justify its price, it doesn't perform well. I've seen better improvement with Olaplex (I've used it when I had bleached hair) though not even that is a 'miracle', but it helped with breakage.

Fimu
January 1st, 2022, 09:34 AM
Diana Prince: I've never realized it's so heavy in alcohol, so that's a dealbreaker for me...

Diana Prince
January 1st, 2022, 01:43 PM
Yes, denaturated alcohol is the second ingredient listed. I've been convinced that won't affect my hair, but I am 100% sure that's why it feels so dry after using it. I am sad that there aren't many bad reviews on this product, I can't believe so many people actually like it.

Catrina22
April 10th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Hi all! I wanted to give my 2 cents on the product! My sister in law is a hair stylist and gave me some to try, so I didn’t have to shell out big bucks for it. Otherwise I might not ever have tried it because I was a little scared of the price lol! I have used it 3 times now. I will say that I like the results but I do not like the way my hair feels the same day of using it! I am a daily hair washer because of a scalp condition. I use the product once a week after clarifying. So for example, I clarify, then use the k 18. Then I use some detangling spray to get through my hair after the 4 minutes is up. Then I let my hair air dry. At this point, my hair just looks and feels weird haha! That night, I heavily oil my hair. The next day, I wash and do everything as normal. At this point in the process, I love how soft my hair feels! My hair reaches my tailbone and is blonde and each strand is so fine. At the ends of my hair, I could actually see gaps in the cuticle from very old (years ago) highlights. This has greatly been reduced since using the k18 and the ends feel smoother. I can update after I’ve been using it for a bit longer if that would help anyone out! My hair feels very dry the day of using the product, but then feels better the other days if that helps! Still not sure if it would be worth the price though. I would have to see if the results actually are permanent!

lapushka
April 10th, 2022, 02:10 PM
I saw a preview on "Manes by Mell", the YT channel. Looks to me like it would not be bad for damaged hair, but other than that... I hear it's pretty pricy, which means I'm out.

Loribelle
April 11th, 2022, 12:38 PM
I got a sample of it in some beauty-box subscription, and have only used it once (as directed) but it left my hair feeling pretty nice. I just put a dollop in my hair this morning (instead of the recommended several pumps) and it feels very nice right now! The sample wasn't enough for me to judge the product. I hate that. I'm on the fence about buying it, now. It is 78 bucks! I really like it so far...but one full use isn't really enough to tell if it will go by the way of Olaplex for me, or continue to work. Olaplex worked, like , once. After that it did nothing for my hair. Don't want to waste that kind of money again, if it's just a fluke:D

lapushka
April 11th, 2022, 01:40 PM
I got a sample of it in some beauty-box subscription, and have only used it once (as directed) but it left my hair feeling pretty nice. I just put a dollop in my hair this morning (instead of the recommended several pumps) and it feels very nice right now! The sample wasn't enough for me to judge the product. I hate that. I'm on the fence about buying it, now. It is 78 bucks! I really like it so far...but one full use isn't really enough to tell if it will go by the way of Olaplex for me, or continue to work. Olaplex worked, like , once. After that it did nothing for my hair. Don't want to waste that kind of money again, if it's just a fluke:D

There's supposed to be a 5ml bottle out there for people who don't need more.

MoonLady
April 11th, 2022, 06:17 PM
What concerns me about this is both the fact that it's so highly recommended in a clearly sponsored way on every social media I see, where reviews on sites to purchase are *much* more mixed. I don't really trust the sponsored reviews to be truthful. Another concern is the no conditioner thing. Apparently there is a way to use it with conditioner that Abbey Yung shows on her channel and is okayed by the brand, but I wonder if it's not ideal. I don't know. I'm not paying $70+ for I don't know. Also, there's such a tiny amount in the bottle. Only 50ml. Olaplex #3 is half the price for twice as much.

Diana Prince
April 12th, 2022, 12:58 AM
What concerns me about this is both the fact that it's so highly recommended in a clearly sponsored way on every social media I see, where reviews on sites to purchase are *much* more mixed. I don't really trust the sponsored reviews to be truthful. Another concern is the no conditioner thing. Apparently there is a way to use it with conditioner that Abbey Yung shows on her channel and is okayed by the brand, but I wonder if it's not ideal. I don't know. I'm not paying $70+ for I don't know. Also, there's such a tiny amount in the bottle. Only 50ml. Olaplex #3 is half the price for twice as much.

Yeah, every review I've read is positive... and after going trough half of the bottle myself, I can tell that it does nothing good to my hair. Without conditioner, I rip through my hair when I try to detangle it. It's horrible even with a cream leave in conditioner, oil, or spray. It doesn't matter if I air dry it or blow dry it. I tried the CW method, so my hair wouldn't feel so dry and tangly, and nothing. My hair looks and feels like a mess whenever I use it.

At least it's fine that I didn't purchase it at full price (Black Friday Sale), though it still was the priciest hair product that I've ever purchased :cry:.

SeppV
May 9th, 2022, 11:29 AM
I tried the 5 ml bottle and it worked really well for me! I am at tailbone lenght and I didn't want to get a trim until I reach my goal, which is classic. Haven't trimmed in a year, and that was a small one (so I still had a lot of damage I believe...). I only started caring actively for my hair recently, so my hair had been damaged from wearing it out and getting a lot of tangles.... combing harshly, using a clarifying shampoo everyday etc. I have virgin hair though, so no damage from coloring, heat styling etc.

I got four uses out of that small bottle (payed 132 NOK perhaps that is about 15 dollars? Crazy for such a small amount!), which means I got the number of uses they recommend as a treatment (after that they recommend maintaining). They are really right when they say a little goes a long way. I thought that bottle would only last me one or two uses. I will not buy it again, as I am not going to spend that much money on my hair.... but it did buy me lenght, as I don't need to trim now for a while. My hair feels amazing. Soft and I can run my hands through it again. It was really coarse in the lower five-ten cm because of damage. Not so anymore. I am quite amazed, but still think it's so pricey... I would only really recommend as a one time treatment to fix some old damage and if you want to buy some lenght getting to your goal. Once I reach goal lenght I will microtrim to keep my hair a bit more healthy... way cheaper than buying the k18 treatment. I find it important to remember that it's just hair! :)

dianabla
January 13th, 2023, 06:44 AM
I tried it last time i got my roots done at my hairdresser and I loved the results. I've been using it at home but I go against the directions and use conditioner before. I find my hair is less frizzy, easier to detangle, less split ends and it feels like silk. Im going back in febuary and getting some high-lights and I'm going to ask for it again just to test it out with bleaching. Got lucky and got the home treatment for 15% off though. But maybe it true that it depends a lot on your hairtype.

SeppV
January 13th, 2023, 10:48 AM
I tried it last time i got my roots done at my hairdresser and I loved the results. I've been using it at home but I go against the directions and use conditioner before. I find my hair is less frizzy, easier to detangle, less split ends and it feels like silk. Im going back in febuary and getting some high-lights and I'm going to ask for it again just to test it out with bleaching. Got lucky and got the home treatment for 15% off though. But maybe it true that it depends a lot on your hairtype.

In regards to using conditioner, I actually re-wet my hair after applying k18 and leaving it on for four minutes. I shampoo all of my hair first (sometimes chelating shampoo), then I apply K18 and let it sit for four minutes. I go into the shower again after 4 minutes have passed and put some water and conditioner in my hair! I have found it better to do it this way, because that way none of the ingredients (like silicones!) will block the K18, but I still get the benefit of conditioner on my hair (which I really feel I need). It says on their homepage that you can re-wet your hair again after waiting those four minutes. You can do anything then, even apply conditioner. Just a suggestion :-)

angel-baby
January 13th, 2023, 02:18 PM
In regards to using conditioner, I actually re-wet my hair after applying k18 and leaving it on for four minutes. I shampoo all of my hair first (sometimes chelating shampoo), then I apply K18 and let it sit for four minutes. I go into the shower again after 4 minutes have passed and put some water and conditioner in my hair! I have found it better to do it this way, because that way none of the ingredients (like silicones!) will block the K18, but I still get the benefit of conditioner on my hair (which I really feel I need). It says on their homepage that you can re-wet your hair again after waiting those four minutes. You can do anything then, even apply conditioner. Just a suggestion :-)

Thank you for confirming this!! I got a sample from Sephora that I'm planning to use on my next wash day. Conditioning after was always my plan, so I'm happy to hear you got good results.

lapushka
January 14th, 2023, 08:19 AM
I am totally intrigued by this stuff. Not sure if it does anything on virgin hair. Maybe, just like with Olaplex, your hair has to be damaged in some way, I mean, that is what it was created for, no? :)

SeppV
January 14th, 2023, 08:29 AM
I am totally intrigued by this stuff. Not sure if it does anything on virgin hair. Maybe, just like with Olaplex, your hair has to be damaged in some way, I mean, that is what it was created for, no? :)

Sure, I think it would be most dramatic on treated hair. But I have virgin hair. There's always damage. I swam in chlorine from time to time for example, other than that I have done no other chemical damage to my hair, not even heat. I wonder how your hair looks at current lenght, Lapushka. I'm sure the texture really shows better..? (I realize I'm really "on" this K18 thread, haha! I have somehow done something to make me get emails whenever someone posts here!)

lapushka
January 14th, 2023, 11:17 AM
Sure, I think it would be most dramatic on treated hair. But I have virgin hair. There's always damage. I swam in chlorine from time to time for example, other than that I have done no other chemical damage to my hair, not even heat. I wonder how your hair looks at current lenght, Lapushka. I'm sure the texture really shows better..? (I realize I'm really "on" this K18 thread, haha! I have somehow done something to make me get emails whenever someone posts here!)

I have pics in my album, if you've not yet friended me, you can do so, I'll approve you in a heartbeat! :) :thumbsup:

lapushka
January 14th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Done! You should be able to see them now; just 2 pictures, about the same. Front facing!

SeppV
January 14th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Done! You should be able to see them now; just 2 pictures, about the same. Front facing!

Awesome, thanks! It's so interesting to see people's faces after you have had enough time to imagine how they look (at least I do!) and this time it was spot on... I was like "yes, that's how she's "supposed" to look!" :laugh: That's not always the case! Loving those silver streaks!

angel-baby
January 15th, 2023, 11:58 AM
I have some in my hair right now. It’s been on a bit longer than 4 minutes, so I’m gonna condition in a little bit.
I have the 15 ml bottle and I used it exactly as directed -3 pumps on my APL hair. It doesn’t look like a lot, but if you emulsify it in your hands first (saw that on TikTok) it‘s easily enough for my length of hair. Some folks who have been growing longer might need more. it didn’t have as much slip as expected, maybe bc it’s a mask and not a conditioner, so I would definitely condition as normal or at least use a leave-in.
If I get a good result today, I plan to follow the recommendations and use it for 6 washes.

rosenester
April 18th, 2023, 05:36 PM
I am so fed up with my damage… it’s sneaky… from afar it looks OK partly because I just trimmed off about an inch last month so the hemline is nice… but when I look closely, every other hair is broken, bent, striped or completely invisible (probably already split in half or has a lot of cuticle damage). Bleach is my main source of damage, but also LOTS of accumulative UV and mechanical damage (2 years no bleach but I brushed very rough until this year) :blushing: OOPS

OK, long story longer. I am slightly obsessing over trying a bonding treatment. I am comparing K18 with Living Proof triple bond complex. I used Olaplex #3 while actively bleaching and found it’s application a pain and didn’t care whether it worked or not. I am hesitant about living proof as their patent is still pending and they are not very specific about how the product works: there are so many ‘bonding treatments’ that are just a protein mask (which my hair does need just not for $$$$$$). Any of these products cost more $ than I want to spend on hair, but my curiosity + desire to grow more and not maintain + my annoyance with my ends = willing to buy either product.

Questions:
Anyone compare K18 to Living Proof’s triple bond complex?
angel-baby, how was your test run with the product?
SeppV, I have read every single comment of yours on the topic, but will definitely take more :flower:

Swune
April 19th, 2023, 01:00 AM
It’s great for elasticity. That’s what I primarily use it for, since my hair got really dry and stiff after bleaching. I couldn’t do anything with my hair because I felt like it would snap like a glow stick if I bent it, but now it moves and feels like how normal hair should. The conditioning ingredients and wheat protein in the leave-in also help with softness and porosity but I still need other products to really get my hair feeling its healthiest. I’m a big fan of using Olaplex #7 and coconut oil after it, or a nice mask.

SeppV
April 19th, 2023, 05:31 AM
SeppV, I have read every single comment of yours on the topic, but will definitely take more :flower:

I think that if you have read my comments on it, there isn't much more to say... other than that I would choose that over the other alternatives! :laugh:
I can add, though, that I bought mine in june last year (I believe... or july!) and it's only now that I have emptied it. I have, as you can see, TBL, medium thickness hair (I use three pumps, sometimes I used four), so it lasts a long time! Just... comb your hair before applying, or else you will need much more. Okay, I couldn't resist repeating myself... ha ha. Hope you find a product that works well for your damage! :blossom:

lapushka
April 19th, 2023, 06:10 AM
When your hair is "somewhat" damaged, I say: OK, if you want to spend the money, you do you. But if you have all virgin, all nice and healthy hair..? Why mess with a good thing. You know?

SeppV
April 19th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Lapushka: I suppose I agree on that. For me, I justified it by saying I would save trims on it (I mean the money I'd spend on trims). But I didn't, I ended up trimming as usual. I can't justify the price actually. I just think it's a crazy expensive product and I will not buy it again. But did it do its job? Sure.

rosenester
April 19th, 2023, 04:16 PM
I think that if you have read my comments on it, there isn't much more to say... other than that I would choose that over the other alternatives! :laugh:
I can add, though, that I bought mine in june last year (I believe... or july!) and it's only now that I have emptied it. I have, as you can see, TBL, medium thickness hair (I use three pumps, sometimes I used four), so it lasts a long time! Just... comb your hair before applying, or else you will need much more. Okay, I couldn't resist repeating myself... ha ha. Hope you find a product that works well for your damage! :blossom:

Thanks! I’m glad to know it’s lasting you so long, I was thinking the other brands might be less per bottle, but require more consistent application and no maintenance-period of using less product, so I may end up replacing the bottle sooner anyways.

I’ll give combing a try, it scares me a little to comb wet with no product as I have recently completely stopped detangling wet in any way as an experiment to prevent breakage. Does K18 have any slip to it if I comb the product through to distribute evenly? A youtuber recommended scrunching it in after emulsifying to distribute, which I plan to try.

I will start with the small size to see if the difference is worth buying the full size.

lapushka
April 20th, 2023, 09:51 AM
Lapushka: I suppose I agree on that. For me, I justified it by saying I would save trims on it (I mean the money I'd spend on trims). But I didn't, I ended up trimming as usual. I can't justify the price actually. I just think it's a crazy expensive product and I will not buy it again. But did it do its job? Sure.

But could a really moisturizing conditioner (a really good one) do the same (on healthy hair)... yeah. On damaged hair, perhaps not, I won't say that at all, because hey I just don't know. But if Olaplex is a bit like it... yeah well, that was a fiasco I don't care to repeat.

rosenester
April 20th, 2023, 04:03 PM
OK, I finally bought a bottle. I don’t plan to purchase this over and over… but with pre LHC mechanical damage + UV damage + bleach damage, I think this will get me through a summer of ocean swimming, gardening, hiking, camping, and 6 months no trimming.

Looking forward to seeing how I like it!

Lesley8
April 21st, 2023, 03:42 PM
I've been using this for 4mth now and I've totally seen a difference in my hair, it's something I will always have for my hair.

rosenester
April 27th, 2023, 07:39 PM
I've been using this for 4mth now and I've totally seen a difference in my hair, it's something I will always have for my hair.

I’m glad to know someone else on LHC finds this product useful, I don’t usually spend so much on any product. But since you use such a small amount at a time I hope to get a good run out of the bottle. It just arrived today, i’ll use it for my next wash, probably Sunday.
:happydance: ok… way too excited… :wannabe: will report back after a few uses.

rosenester
May 8th, 2023, 11:16 AM
OK, I have used this 4x now, 4 washes in a row. I will use again tonight and then switch to every 4 or 5 wash. I found 2-3 pumps was enough, i focused on my bleached ends and what was left on my hands went on the top canopy that gets a lot of sun.

Results: I noticed a difference in how my hair felt before it dried after the first application. Not thicker, but I could feel the individual strands that usually just kind of mush into each other now I felt individually. It was very tangly after the first application, but after the 4th less tangly than usual. I changed nothing else in my routine, and my ends are just behaving so nice. They shine, they bounce, they flip, they don’t get piecey and stringy. I havebeen doing very thorough S&D’s finding too many breaks and splits to count weekly, and got it down to maybe I found a few yesterday. So hopefully this treatment will strengthen my hair enough to keep those at bay. I have changed my brushing technique to make sure I am not mechanically causing the breaks as well, i make 4 sections now rather than 2 and started that about a month before starting K18.

The difference is very subtle and I doubt anyone else will notice any change, it’s more about feel. I am in less of a rush to cut out the bleach now

:blossom:

giraff
May 15th, 2023, 12:37 AM
I bought a bottle of this last fall! Used it 5 washes in a row, then every 5 washes or so. My hairdresser pointed out that my hair was extremely dry late fall, so I took a break. I didn't use conditioner after the treatment, so don't think I can blame k18 for that.. Leave-in conditioner spray just doesn't seem to cut it, my hair is thirsty afterwards.

Probably will not repurchase, because of the price and the fact that my bleached ends are no longer. I don't think it does much for virgin hair that has never seen heat tools! However, it's hard to find split ends when I S&D, so maybe it works after all?

SeppV
May 15th, 2023, 04:16 AM
I bought a bottle of this last fall! Used it 5 washes in a row, then every 5 washes or so. My hairdresser pointed out that my hair was extremely dry late fall, so I took a break. I didn't use conditioner after the treatment, so don't think I can blame k18 for that.. Leave-in conditioner spray just doesn't seem to cut it, my hair is thirsty afterwards.

Probably will not repurchase, because of the price and the fact that my bleached ends are no longer. I don't think it does much for virgin hair that has never seen heat tools! However, it's hard to find split ends when I S&D, so maybe it works after all?

I would re wet my hair after having the k18 on for four minutes just to apply regular conditioner..... I don't think my hair would do good without conditioner and it says you can do it like that on their website, provided you wait for four minutes first.

giraff
May 15th, 2023, 05:00 AM
I would re wet my hair after having the k18 on for four minutes just to apply regular conditioner..... I don't think my hair would do good without conditioner and it says you can do it like that on their website, provided you wait for four minutes first.

Yes, I know! I just couldn't bare to rinse off an expensive leave-in.. Were you happy with it?

SeppV
May 15th, 2023, 06:04 AM
Yes, I know! I just couldn't bare to rinse off an expensive leave-in.. Were you happy with it?

Apparently it has done all that it can do after that time, so there is no point in leaving it on for longer. I suppose, I too, have a hard time actually believing that and it does feel a bit off to rinse it away for me too... but since the company themselves suggest it, I can't imagine it would work any less for that reason. It probably only takes that long (four minutes) to get into the hair shaft and do it's thing. It's not really meant to coat the hair anyways, like regular leave ins and conditioners.

I was very happy with it! I will not repurchase, because it's just to expensive for me to feel good about it. Personally, I thought it changed my hair for the better. More shine and softness, that didn't go away. My hair is totally untreated when it comes to bleach, heat etc. just virgin hair that has mechanical damage and probably too much sun and chlorine exposure....

rosenester
May 15th, 2023, 07:29 AM

My 4th or 5th application in a row I tried leaving it it in and applying my regular curl cream and serum on top after the 4 minutes: my hair really missed the conditioner step. However, the K18 smelled lovely as a leave-in. I ended up doing a conditioner only wash a day or 2 ‘early’ to get it to feel better.

It’s interesting that a company would create product created for damaged hair and simultaneously recommend skipping conditioner, which damaged hair needs desperately :confused:
———
I will use K18 for a maintenance either on Wednesday (4th wash since last use) or Sunday (5th wash). Moving forward, I think I’ll use it on days I clarify, and follow with my deposit toner which is very conditioning, and end with my regular conditioner.
———
Edit to add:
I just took my May length shot and put it side to side with last months and my perception of the flippy fuller shinier ends actually is noticeable in the photos. I know with wavy hair each was day is a little different, so I’ll calm my excitement a little :laugh:

giraff
May 15th, 2023, 07:57 AM
SeppV I am silly, and somehow believe it will work better if I don't rinse it off, but yeah. You are totally right! 4 min is what the product is tested for, shouldn't make a difference if you rinse it off or not! Have you tried a dupe? I'm currently testing the oil from Rebond 18, bought it in Normal.

rosenester yes, it's weird that they say you can go without conditioner, but maybe some hair types can? Mine can not. I did the same as you last time: Leave-in, Oil and curlcream. My hair was still thirsty! After a second application of leave-in, it feels better! K18 also has an oil now, I don't know its claims.

Ylva
May 15th, 2023, 09:52 AM
I am considering getting the 5 ml tube after cutting my hair. Do you think that's enough for the initial four treatments they recommend if I use it on the ends and bottom lengths only?

giraff
May 15th, 2023, 10:24 AM
I am considering getting the 5 ml tube after cutting my hair. Do you think that's enough for the initial four treatments they recommend if I use it on the ends and bottom lengths only?

You can try! You need very, very little product. The company says max 3 pumps per use(I use 4 on my thick hair.. Apparently, I don't care about instructions). I've had my 50 ml since October-ish.

On their website, they say that 1 ml=1 pump, but I don't know..

https://www.k18hair.com/blogs/consumer/k18-fundamentals-08-how-many-applications-do-i-get-per-bottle

Ylva
May 15th, 2023, 10:37 AM
You can try! You need very, very little product. The company says max 3 pumps per use(I use 4 on my thick hair.. Apparently, I don't care about instructions). I've had my 50 ml since October-ish.

On their website, they say that 1 ml=1 pump, but I don't know..

https://www.k18hair.com/blogs/consumer/k18-fundamentals-08-how-many-applications-do-i-get-per-bottle

Hmm... I think it's just about on the edge, then. After my cut, I will still have a little bit of bleached hair left at the ends, so I could perhaps get away with 1 pump (squeeze, rather) per use if I don't go very far up the length.

If I like it, I'd be willing to purchase the 50 ml one for occasional use. I could probably make it last a year.

SeppV
May 15th, 2023, 11:01 AM

I think so. I used a 5 ml bottle for four washes on my entire hair. It was around tbl at that time. Just make sure to detangle beforehand, or else you will have to use a lot more product.

Rosenester: Intitially, I thought it was weird that they recommended just skipping the conditioner, too. But, come to think of it, part of what makes people might want to choose K18 over other "masks" could be the time aspect. It could be temptimg to some people to choose K18 over some other mask simply because they wouldn't have to spend 20 minutes waiting for it to work. They can just apply it, wait for four minutes and continue their usual routine. Time effective.

On the other hand, I think more people would be happier with the product if they actually applied regular conditioner afterwards and rinsed off as usual. Because I know my hair won't be its best without conditioner. Even if I use K18. It's a repairing treatment, not a conditioner or hair mask!

Giraff: I had no clue there was a dupe! I will have to look for that next time I am at the mall. Let us know if you try it :-)

rosenester
May 15th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Hmm... I think it's just about on the edge, then. After my cut, I will still have a little bit of bleached hair left at the ends, so I could perhaps get away with 1 pump (squeeze, rather) per use if I don't go very far up the length.

If I like it, I'd be willing to purchase the 50 ml one for occasional use. I could probably make it last a year.

If you just apply to the last few inches of bleached hair after the cut I think you could get away with 1 pump as long as you really emulsify to spread it well on your hands first. 2 pumps was enough to thoroughly coat my bleached sections with some left to coat some of my top layer that gets the most sun damage. My shortest bleached strands bits are 4” and the longest maybe 8-10”

Lesley8
May 16th, 2023, 01:09 AM
I'm still using this product and have really seen a difference especially in my ends. I leave it for 4 mins then I apply my conditioner and I also do my leave ins (recommended by the lady at K18 I find it makes my hair really soft.

Ylva
May 16th, 2023, 09:08 AM
I think so. I used a 5 ml bottle for four washes on my entire hair. It was around tbl at that time. Just make sure to detangle beforehand, or else you will have to use a lot more product.

If you just apply to the last few inches of bleached hair after the cut I think you could get away with 1 pump as long as you really emulsify to spread it well on your hands first. 2 pumps was enough to thoroughly coat my bleached sections with some left to coat some of my top layer that gets the most sun damage. My shortest bleached strands bits are 4” and the longest maybe 8-10”

Thank you, guys! I don't think I can afford to spend ANY more money on recreational things this month, but once things balance out a little (gig money again next month, wohoo - absolutely no shows in all of May), I think I'll be ordering a 5 ml tube for myself and another one for DBF who will be test subject #2.

Notino (https://www.notino.fi/k18/molecular-repair-jatettava-hiushoito/p-16124222/) appears to be selling it for €8.80, which isn't THAT bad.

Ylva
May 30th, 2023, 09:07 AM
Notino (https://www.notino.fi/k18/molecular-repair-jatettava-hiushoito/p-16124222/) appears to be selling it for €8.80, which isn't THAT bad.

They are offering free delivery right now so I picked up one of the 5 ml tubes! I'll be using it on my hair after the cut, but first, I'll give my 95% natural hair a little test period so I know what it actually feels like and then I'll be able to compare properly.

rosenester
May 30th, 2023, 11:29 AM
They are offering free delivery right now so I picked up one of the 5 ml tubes! I'll be using it on my hair after the cut, but first, I'll give my 95% natural hair a little test period so I know what it actually feels like and then I'll be able to compare properly.

Can’t wait to hear what you think! My hair continues to be much bouncier and easier to manage. Hoping it proves worthwhile for you as well :o

sarana
May 30th, 2023, 03:09 PM
Ylva thanks for the tip, I got one too. I've been interested in trying it out, and I'm just about to run out of Olaplex

Ylva
June 24th, 2023, 09:15 AM
Ylva thanks for the tip, I got one too. I've been interested in trying it out, and I'm just about to run out of Olaplex

Do report back on how your hair reacts to it!

I will start my treatments when I get back home so on Sunday or Monday! Very excited about that!

Croww
June 25th, 2023, 03:16 PM
Ok so I’ve been using k18 for a month now. I also had olaplex no 0 and 3 in the past.

I feel like k18 made my hair more bouncy, shiny and stronger. My hair has become very soft, and I rarely get broken pieces of hair when brushing or finger detangling. K18 is pretty good, and I’ll continue to use it. Little goes a long way.

I use it like this:

Wash hair with shampoo twice.
Put k18 in palm of hand, rub hands together to make the product white and foamy. Then I apply to my hair. I use around 3-4 pumps.
I wait 4 minutes
Then I continue with my hair routine. So I wet my hair, apply a conditioning hair mask. Use conditioner etc etc.

rosenester
June 25th, 2023, 05:38 PM
Ok so I’ve been using k18 for a month now. I also had olaplex no 0 and 3 in the past.

I feel like k18 made my hair more bouncy, shiny and stronger. My hair has become very soft, and I rarely get broken pieces of hair when brushing or finger detangling. K18 is pretty good, and I’ll continue to use it. Little goes a long way.

I use it like this:

Wash hair with shampoo twice.
Put k18 in palm of hand, rub hands together to make the product white and foamy. Then I apply to my hair. I use around 3-4 pumps.
I wait 4 minutes
Then I continue with my hair routine. So I wet my hair, apply a conditioning hair mask. Use conditioner etc etc.

Ooh yay! I have similar results and use it the same way. I get away with 2 pumps only applying to my damaged and crown sections with WL hair.

I keep crossing my fingers that this product is working for me, I was skeptical, but with the price I thought maybe placebo effect :confused:

Hearing more personal experience that lines up with mine is great! I may try another bond builder when I use this one up, as I used olaplex when actively bleaching but found its application process annoying and not quite worth the effort… and more brands keep popping up with options I am curious about.

Thanks for sharing :blossom:

Croww
June 25th, 2023, 06:38 PM
Ooh yay! I have similar results and use it the same way. I get away with 2 pumps only applying to my damaged and crown sections with WL hair.

I keep crossing my fingers that this product is working for me, I was skeptical, but with the price I thought maybe placebo effect :confused:

Hearing more personal experience that lines up with mine is great! I may try another bond builder when I use this one up, as I used olaplex when actively bleaching but found its application process annoying and not quite worth the effort… and more brands keep popping up with options I am curious about.

Thanks for sharing :blossom:

The two step olaplex procedure was soooo tedious! So I really prefer the one step routine with k18.

The best way to check if it’s working for you is to compare current breakage, and how it used to be pre k18. We shall see in time how it will go!!!

Ylva
June 26th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Doing my first K18 treatment tonight. I'm excited!

Ylva
June 28th, 2023, 01:33 PM
I just did my third initial treatment out of the four recommended. So far, no dramatic difference in my hair, which makes sense as it was so healthy to begin with (after the big chop), but it doesn't feel bad at all although I've not used any conditioner (other than K18 ) for three washes in a row. What I wanted from this product in the first place was some "perfecting" strengthening effect from everyday wear and tear, and I suppose that's what I'm getting. :)

angel-baby
June 29th, 2023, 01:52 PM
Just used some again today. I do a strengthening treatment 2x month, and I rotate between K18 and a Kerastase protein mask. I have to say I like the K18 days a lot because it makes my routine a lot shorter (no mask + conditioner, I just go right to my leave-in and oil after the 4 mins are up) and I love how it makes my hair feel.

Chasemi
December 29th, 2023, 08:18 PM
Any other people try this product? I just ordered some, getting excited!

rosenester
December 30th, 2023, 10:55 AM
Any other people try this product? I just ordered some, getting excited!

I started in April/May and I am still using it every 4-5 washes. I have been wearing my hair loose a lot these months since I am more or less maintaining from this point on I hoped I could keep up with the damage with regular trims and K18. It feels like it’s helping, when I started with K18 I was finding a lot of splits and breaks every day, and was wearing my hair up most of the time to protect it. I did a few heavy S&D sessions to get it in order and see if I could prevent them from accumulating so much again. I rarely notice splits or breaks lately, just in a few sections that I suspect are mechanical damage from brushing habits I have only recently adjusted.

I have another year of maintaining length and trimming out bleach, so considering getting a second bottle soon.

Let us know how it goes when you’ve started! :flower:

Chasemi
December 30th, 2023, 12:26 PM
I started in April/May and I am still using it every 4-5 washes. I have been wearing my hair loose a lot these months since I am more or less maintaining from this point on I hoped I could keep up with the damage with regular trims and K18. It feels like it’s helping, when I started with K18 I was finding a lot of splits and breaks every day, and was wearing my hair up most of the time to protect it. I did a few heavy S&D sessions to get it in order and see if I could prevent them from accumulating so much again. I rarely notice splits or breaks lately, just in a few sections that I suspect are mechanical damage from brushing habits I have only recently adjusted.

I have another year of maintaining length and trimming out bleach, so considering getting a second bottle soon.

Let us know how it goes when you’ve started! :flower:

Sounds like it's been going well! How many pumps of product do you use?

rosenester
December 30th, 2023, 02:05 PM
Sounds like it's been going well! How many pumps of product do you use?

I usually use 2 pumps, and apply it scrunching the bottom of my bleach damage and work the remainder residue through my nape hairs and over my sun bleached bits. I’d say about 15” of length. I thought I needed 3 pumps at first, but since I am applying from the ears down there’s no need for that much product.

I also apply conditioner after the 4 minutes, my fine hair was very tangled when I tried to just layer leave-ins over it.

Chasemi
December 30th, 2023, 03:55 PM
I usually use 2 pumps, and apply it scrunching the bottom of my bleach damage and work the remainder residue through my nape hairs and over my sun bleached bits. I’d say about 15” of length. I thought I needed 3 pumps at first, but since I am applying from the ears down there’s no need for that much product.

I also apply conditioner after the 4 minutes, my fine hair was very tangled when I tried to just layer leave-ins over it.

I definitely plan on using conditioner after the 4 minutes! I develop so many splits on the bleached bits of my hair, which I am growing out. Luckily it's only the under layer of my hair, and in the virgin top layer I haven't found a single split in months. I'm sure 2 pumps will be just fine for me, my hair is also on the finer side

lapushka
December 31st, 2023, 08:45 AM
I think this, and stuff like Olaplex is super amazing if, if, you have damaged hair. On virgin, nicely treated, hair? I don't think it makes any difference, and frankly... I like spending money on my hair, when it's appropriate (a sale, you know me :lol:) but I think this is throwing cash out the window when you intend to use it on perfectly fine, "whole" hair. I mean, it's just not necessary, and I doubt it can do much more than an *amazingly* nice conditioner or a great mask.

What do you guys think? Can it still do something on hair that is darn near perfect (talking of single hair strands here), or am I just wrong and talking crap. :)

Chasemi
December 31st, 2023, 12:58 PM
I think this, and stuff like Olaplex is super amazing if, if, you have damaged hair. On virgin, nicely treated, hair? I don't think it makes any difference, and frankly... I like spending money on my hair, when it's appropriate (a sale, you know me :lol:) but I think this is throwing cash out the window when you intend to use it on perfectly fine, "whole" hair. I mean, it's just not necessary, and I doubt it can do much more than an *amazingly* nice conditioner or a great mask.

What do you guys think? Can it still do something on hair that is darn near perfect (talking of single hair strands here), or am I just wrong and talking crap. :)

I think you're right! Probably no gain if your hair is already virgin and you're avoiding heat and UV effects. My hair is SUPER damaged, the underlayer was bleached 7 times, and dyed (more than) a few dozen times. The underlayer seriously feels like straw. In early November I decided to stop dying it, so I dyed it for the last time, dark brown to match my natural hair. The dye has faded, but it's still light brown, and I swore to leave it alone all of 2024, my natural hair is soo soft and much easier to manage. If K18 can help anyone's hair, I imagine I am probably in the demographic that can benefit. Again, I doubt healthy hair would have much to gain, and its probably not worth the price if your hair is already doing well

Ilaria87
January 1st, 2024, 07:09 AM
I use k18 once a month (I did the 4 washes treatment last summer) and I have to say this really works. I have the bottom part of my hair a bit damaged by color, sun, age, and after a while I can see white dots at the bottom of the strands or some split end. They are also a bit rough at touch.
After using k18 the hair looks a lot better. I use conditioner after 4 minutes, and also leave in after, as I normally would.
I didn’t get this result with olaplex.

Simone_Fatale
January 2nd, 2024, 07:47 AM
I use K18 once monthly as a maintenance treatment, it really saved my overly bleached, overprocessed hair. On the healthier part of my hair I don't feel it makes a difference. The way I use it, I'll use K18 Friday night, skip the conditioners and leave ins, wait for Saturday night so 24 hours have passed and then rewet my hair and condition. It works for me.

Chasemi
January 2nd, 2024, 08:52 AM
I use k18 once a month (I did the 4 washes treatment last summer) and I have to say this really works. I have the bottom part of my hair a bit damaged by color, sun, age, and after a while I can see white dots at the bottom of the strands or some split end. They are also a bit rough at touch.
After using k18 the hair looks a lot better. I use conditioner after 4 minutes, and also leave in after, as I normally would.
I didn’t get this result with olaplex.

Mine just got here and I am so excited! I'll be using it in conjunction with Olaplex, though on different days, as I'm unsure if they would mix well if I haven't washed between uses.

A bit off topic but has anyone ordered anything off of Pandora beauty? I bought K18 off of their website in the 50ml bottle, and then also ordered it off of Pandora in a 150ml bottle, because it was a good deal. I get nervous because K18 doesn't seem to sell it in this size off of their website, but it does look legit. The Pandora delivery is here, but the one directly from K18 is not. I think I'll wait until I can compare them after the delivery from K18's website gets here

Chasemi
January 28th, 2024, 05:01 PM
https://i.ibb.co/WvMdBmn/Screenshot-20240128-185115-Photos.jpg[/url] https://i.ibb.co/XLKJW2J/Screenshot-20240128-185138-Photos.jpg (https://ibb.co/XLKJW2J)
(These photos are better formatted if you click on them)

The first photo above is from the day I last trimmed. I took that picture in November and decided some length had to go (though I could only muster a one inch trim). The next was my hair this week. I have been using olaplex and k18 - expect a cross post - and have seen an amazing change

For K18 - I love how easy this is to incorporate in my regular routine. I use it every time I wash, in between my shampoo and conditioner. I leave it on for 4 minutes while I wash my body. It doesn't have a strong smell which is quite nice as well. It makes my hair feel super smooth, I'll absolutely keep using it and see where it takes me!

I've been using 2-3 pumps twice a week!

robey
March 4th, 2024, 11:32 PM
Have any of you used K18 hair mask?
It has a great promise but I would like to hear any stories you may have 😊

Chasemi
March 5th, 2024, 09:38 PM
I love the hair mask! It's way to incorporate in my wash routine because it's quick. I shampoo, apply the mask, wait 4 minutes, rinse, then condition. It does wonders for my hair, there's photos of my before and after above your post :)

Mariekeeee14
March 12th, 2024, 02:42 AM
My people! I come here singing the praises of the K18 leave in mask!
I’ve just finished a five wash stint like they recommended and holy Moses and Aaron. I thought my hair was in good condition. Like, it was, but now it’s better! I didn’t think that was possible!
Today I washed my hair and used conditioner for the first time again. It felt so good in the shower.

The first time I used 5 pumps on my TBL hair, the second 3 pumps. 5 is definitely the sweet spot so I used that amount for the duration.

It is so expensive though. I bought it cause I got a gift card for Christmas from work, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have. But now… I’ll buy it if it’s on sale. I’ll use it once in a while.

I missed the conditioning experience. I condition twice and use leave in in the shower. That was cut from my routine and it cut my thinking time in the shower too. I wash twice a week and use the longer time to enjoy showers. If I shower in between, it’s in and out, for the environment. So I’m glad to have that time back and in time I’ll forget about it and experience it again when I use this product again. It’s kinda convenient to have the memory of a goldfish for that kind of thing :D

Chasemi
March 12th, 2024, 12:57 PM
It is quite expensive, though I found that if you buy the salon size version off of pandora beauty, it's 5x the amount for about 80 dollars, rather than 75 for the normal bottle. A very good deal!

I am always amazed at K18! I'm obsessed with their shampoo and detox shampoo as well

curly girl fla
March 15th, 2024, 07:05 PM
It is quite expensive, though I found that if you buy the salon size version off of pandora beauty, it's 5x the amount for about 80 dollars, rather than 75 for the normal bottle. A very good deal!

I am always amazed at K18! I'm obsessed with their shampoo and detox shampoo as well

I don't post much, but....Thank you for this!!! :heart: My daughter loves the K18 leave in mask and the oil, and Pandora is a great deal-especially with the 15% additional coupon site-wide. I just ordered her both. She has waist-length blonde hair, and gets regular highlights from a trusted hairdresser every few months. This (and Olaplex on occasion) works well for her.

Chasemi
March 15th, 2024, 07:14 PM
I don't post much, but....Thank you for this!!! :heart: My daughter loves the K18 leave in mask and the oil, and Pandora is a great deal-especially with the 15% additional coupon site-wide. I just ordered her both. She has waist-length blonde hair, and gets regular highlights from a trusted hairdresser every few months. This (and Olaplex on occasion) works well for her.

I'm so glad! I was worried it wouldn't be the real product but it is the exact same as the one I got off of the k18 website, so I have no worries there. The bigger size should last her a long time!

Bat
April 7th, 2024, 10:37 PM
I want to invest in some k18 sometime soon, it's a shame it's so pricey

Ylva
April 8th, 2024, 08:40 AM
I want to invest in some k18 sometime soon, it's a shame it's so pricey

At least it lasts a long time, too! I'm still on my first 50 ml bottle of K18. I bought it in June of last year. I think it'll last me well over a year, considering I use only one pump at a time on my current length. Any more than that makes my hair feel tacky.

Bat
April 8th, 2024, 04:19 PM
At least it lasts a long time, too! I'm still on my first 50 ml bottle of K18. I bought it in June of last year. I think it'll last me well over a year, considering I use only one pump at a time on my current length. Any more than that makes my hair feel tacky
I only got the 5ml squeezy tube a while back and that lasted 2-3 weeks it was about 15 au.
I'lll want to splurge on a bigger bottle some day!

Bat
April 11th, 2024, 12:08 AM
I ordered the 5ml tube the front needs it especially

Chasemi
April 11th, 2024, 11:28 AM
Good luck! I hope it works wonders. I love the stuff

Bat
April 11th, 2024, 02:17 PM
Good luck! I hope it works wonders. I love the stuff

I've used it before and liked it :D

maborosi
April 11th, 2024, 04:08 PM
Is this sort of like a protein treatment? How would it compare to something like Joico K-Pak (Which I currently use)?

Bat
April 11th, 2024, 07:28 PM
Is this sort of like a protein treatment? How would it compare to something like Joico K-Pak (Which I currently use)?

Waaay better it's more like a bond fix treatment

maborosi
April 11th, 2024, 09:22 PM
Waaay better it's more like a bond fix treatment

Huh, interesting. So I guess sort of like Olaplex, then?

Chasemi
April 12th, 2024, 11:34 AM

I personally prefer it over olaplex, but yes, they are really in the same category!

Bat
April 12th, 2024, 10:19 PM

It's better than Olaplex which is why it's more expensive than that but yes it's similar

maborosi
April 13th, 2024, 10:27 PM
Do people use these in addition to protein treatments? Or instead of them? Now y'all have gotten me intrigued and I'm doing research, haha!

Ylva
April 14th, 2024, 10:43 AM
Do people use these in addition to protein treatments? Or instead of them? Now y'all have gotten me intrigued and I'm doing research, haha!

In addition, but I don't use either particularly often. Regardless, I don't find that leave-in protein-containing products have very much of an effect on my hair when it comes to protein properties. It needs to be a rinse-out product if it is to have an effect in that sense.

Chasemi
April 14th, 2024, 12:15 PM
I use both. Neither K18 or Olaplex are protein treatments. I use k18 basically every wash, at least once a week.