PDA

View Full Version : Poverty Good for Hair!

mellie
November 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I was thinking about something, and made a startling discovery - poverty is good for my hair!

Back before last year, I was very low-income, I think I actually was official poverty level. Having no money meant I never considered getting a cut at a salon or buying fancy shampoos or dyes. I was letting my hair grow nice and long, basically because it was the cheapest way to go! And was shampooing with soapwort (which actually ends up being pretty cheap) alternated with a cheap, natural shampoo, and dyeing my grays with tea! And my hair was beautiful, wonderfully healthy, and long!

However, this last year, I went up to full-time work and am actually making a decent living. And stupidly I went to the salon twice and got a color (totally unnecessary and stupid, not to mention painful with burning scalp), and very stupidly got layers cut another time. I've also spent tons and tons of money trying out everything interesting thing I've discovered here (and there are so many!!).

So, I think somehow I need to trick myself into thinking I am back at poverty level - for my hair's sake!! :D

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Interesting...I pretty much grew up in poverty, and had no haircut until I was 12. I'm sorry to hear about your reaction to the color. Maybe you're either allergic or they left it on for too long? They shouldn't get color on the scalp though-that's not a normal reaction.

embee
November 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hee hee. :) That's how come my hair is long now, well, one reason. I always wanted long hair but never could get below BSL, always it looked so ratty and I thought it needed a trim (read: Cut) so it never got long.

Then I got divorced and then I lost my job. Oooof. No salon for me. No trim. No nothing at all... suave shampoo and conditioner, diluted for cheapness, oh my. Wearing my hair up because it looked ratty.

And suddenly my hair was approaching waist!

So yes, Poverty can be Very Good for Hair. :)
Now I can afford a salon, but I've learned: I love my hair just the way it is.

Copasetic
November 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
its so true! leaving your hair alone is often a good thing.
also, i am sorry about your bad slaon experience. i have had a couple of them myself, and now i am salon-phobic!

krt1013
November 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I hear you about product binges --- I got a new job that pays me more money than I've ever had in my life... and where did that money go? Hair...

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I hate to think of you having gone through poverty, Mellie...but yes, the best my hair has ever been and the longest it has ever grown was during the times that I did practically diddly-squat to it. So I agree with you.

chickpea
November 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I haven't been to a hair salon in over 20 years. Whatever money I save by not getting haircuts is probably spent on other things though. This is how I justify my shoe purchases. :smirk:

Islandgrrl
November 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I hadn't really ever thought about it, Mellie, but yeah. When my hair was its longest, I really just couldn't afford to do anything to it. Stay at home mom, absolutely NO money for anything extra and when there *was* extra, it got spent on the kiddos. Cheap shampoo, cheap conditioner, no haircut (not even a trim) for over 5 years all equaled awesome knee length hair.

So that's my plan now, too. Besides, I'd rather spend my money on good coffee, not a salon visit!

mellie
November 14th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Haha, isn't it true? It must be hard on one's hair to be a rich celebrity!! :-)

DarkChocolate
November 14th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I agree with you Mellie:)
My hair is in it's best condition when I leave it alone:)

Many celebrities get their hair cut and colored every three weeks sometimes. Then they decide they want it long again and get extensions. Their hair thus goes through this vicious cycle of cut,color,extensions, color again. Also go from blond hair to dark brown back to blond. It seems that they sometimes change their hair for movie roles but I think that it is mostly their choice.

I think Lindsay Lohan has gorgeous natural hair:) The red color and thickness are a point of envy. Unfortunately she puts her hair through that vicious cycle:( Maybe it is because she has the money.

Hypnotica
November 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I have never been poor (and I know I'm blessed) but laziness have the same effect :)

Samitra
November 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Going through a period of poverty at the moment, it sounds comforting that at least my hair will be happy. :D

az_sweetie01
November 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Ha! How funny, I just blogged about this yesterday :D and I agree 200%! Of course, no one wants to be poverty level but, the lesson that sometimes, some hair can be benignly neglected and it looks better than ever hits home with me. I pared down my routine for money reasons and because the contant changing of things was making my scalp worse. Best thing I could have done.

paper
November 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I was getting my hair cut, layered, and highlighted every 2 months. It was getting too expensive. The last time her prices went up, I knew I couldn't afford it anymore.

I love the money I'm saving! :cheese:

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hmm. Not sure poverty is good for your hair, as it would imply you couldn't eat healtheir foods, but I know what you were trying to say ;) I hear you. I'm in the low income bracket, and since my hair grows like a weed, I'm glad I enjoy long hair :)

mellie
November 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Actually though, when I was at poverty level, I did eat better than I do now! I only had money for stuff like carrots, beans, rice, cabbage - so I made lots of very healthy Indian meals, with homemade chapati, etc... Now I work full-time I don't have time or energy to cook those wonderful meals anymore!

Tangles
November 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Well, I don't know about poverty, but I think people are definitely happier when they have to stick to some sort of budget. There's something about picking and choosing what to spend your money on that helps you make better decisions.

That diet sounds healthy Mellie... I'm a poor student but I eat pasta, not veggies... I don't like veggies these days for some reason...

Buddaphlyy
November 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I think this is true. And that's why despite the fact that the economy is in a depression, my hair is thriving. I've been using Suave and various other drugstore goodies for about 4 months and my hair is stronger and shinier than ever.

30isthenewblack
November 14th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I am saving money so if I want to get my hair coloured, it costs about $200 which is something that I need to save up for. It's been great though as I wait about six months between doing my regrowth. This time around, I coloured my hair just after I joined the LHC. I actually got it coloured after I saw my pictures. I didn't realise how light it was. The hairdresser kind of stuffed up so my hair is more of a dark chocolate brown colour rather than the brown colour you see in my picture. My hair has grown out at least three inches around the crown and I really like my natural colour. So saving money has brought about a positive change as I start growing out my colour. I must say though that I do spend about $50 on each month on my hair but that might be quite low compared to some. It's divided into conditioner, hair vitamins and oils.

dukkelisa
November 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I don't like to fuss with my hair and that is the primary reason I grew it out to begin with. I was tired of the colouring, the curling, the styling...all the haircuts.

I like to wash my hair in whatever shampoo we have on hand, twist it up in a wet bun and leave it alone. Later, when I take it down, I like to finger comb it and smell the fresh scent of the shampoo as it finishes drying. Then it goes back up in a bun.

I have only a few hair toys and I don't buy much in the way of hair gunk. I like it all plain and simple and carefree.

rose_in_bloom
November 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
I really love to live simply. My family has never been rich, and I feel blessed by that. I'm more grateful, and I've learned to get really excited over the little bitty joys of life. :)