PDA

View Full Version : Henna Gloss Questions

Themyst
November 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I'm seriously considering a henna gloss.

I've read everything in the articles section about it but still have questions (and reservations).

The reason I'd like to try the henna is to a) strengthen my hair and b) give it some shine and c) give it a bit more volume

Am I on the right track? I think henna is the solution. Now, the gloss part - I'd like to color my hair but am afraid of using henna right now. My hair's color is tricky - it has naturally varied throughout my life and I honestly don't know what color it is. It is for that reason that I'm afraid that I'd pick the wrong color and it would turn bright orange and stay that way (I don't want flaming red hair).

Would anyone who has experience with this (or had the same reservations that I had) please let me know if my perceptions about henna are correct? :confused:

Kirin
November 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Henna only comes in one color, red. If a box or brand tells you its any other color, its got something else in it wether it is indigo or chemical PPD to get that color.

different henna will give you varying degrees of....... you guessed it, red. Even a gloss will give some red. Actually glosses tend to go at first orange until the color has a chance to build up in the hairshaft.

If you don't want red, I advise do not use henna. As many on this forum can attest, getting rid of henna red is near impossible.

Themyst
November 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM
That's all I needed to hear. Thanks!

Jeni
November 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Try cassia. It does have some of the same benefits as henna but it's dye (pale yellow) is so weak it only shows on light hair. I started with light ash blond and it turned my hair just slightly more golden (left sig pic). Your hair looks dark so you shouldn't see any change (do a test if your worried). Cassia is also temp so if you did get a color change it shouldn't last long. I usually had to redo it once a month.

I am now adding henna to my cassia and I have to say my hair seems even nicer now, so cassia isn't the equal to henna but it could be a good alt for people not wanting to go red.

arylkin
November 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I think it really depends on how much henna you use for the gloss. The first time I did it I used 3 tbs mixed with 1.5 cups of conditioner and didn't have much color change except for a very slight bit of red highlights- which I liked. The next time I put 3/4 c henna to 1.5 cups conditioner and it made more of a color difference (although I have your color hair or lighter if you check my album). I've read recipes where people use even less than 3 tbs, so if you're doing that small of an amount of henna you shouldn't see much of a change.

Themyst
November 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think it really depends on how much henna you use for the gloss. The first time I did it I used 3 tbs mixed with 1.5 cups of conditioner and didn't have much color change except for a very slight bit of red highlights- which I liked. The next time I put 3/4 c henna to 1.5 cups conditioner and it made more of a color difference (although I have your color hair or lighter if you check my album). I've read recipes where people use even less than 3 tbs, so if you're doing that small of an amount of henna you shouldn't see much of a change.

That was the impression I got from reading the articles posted here on TLHC. But what I'm afraid of is that I already have natural reddish highlights. Perhaps the Irish in me? In my genealogy research, I did find a Sheridan from Ireland!

Anyway... anyway... I'll research this Cassia that Jeni mentioned and probably just put it on the back burner for a while. Thanks for all the advice.

Jeni
November 13th, 2008, 10:35 PM
H4H sells cassia samples for $1 if you wanted to try some on a test hair ball.

Treecrown
November 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Since your hair seems to be fairly dark, you could try the "barely any henna" approach. There's a recipe somewhere on the Henna for Hair forum for a "golden brown gloss" which consists of 1 TEASPOON of henna plus 1 teaspoon of indigo, mixed together dry, then mixed into conditioner or flax seed gel and left on the hair for half and hour or so.

I do this occasionally (sometimes with cassia instead of conditioner) on my light brown, greying, etc, etc hair, and it gives me a little color on my greys, a little too much color on my wispy light hair at the temples and ends, but I'm guessing wouldn't do much colorwise to darker hair, and, the point is, it's nice for a bit of henna shine.

I would still strand test, though--you don't want orange wisps at your temples, believe me!

Themyst
November 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Is the indigo just used for color? Does it have any other benefits?

I wouldn't mind going darker. I really just want to avoid going orange. My skin has some really pink tones and any red or orange in my hair makes me look too ruddy.

Unofficial_Rose
November 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Since your hair seems to be fairly dark, you could try the "barely any henna" approach. There's a recipe somewhere on the Henna for Hair forum for a "golden brown gloss" which consists of 1 TEASPOON of henna plus 1 teaspoon of indigo, mixed together dry, then mixed into conditioner or flax seed gel and left on the hair for half and hour or so.

I do this occasionally (sometimes with cassia instead of conditioner) on my light brown, greying, etc, etc hair, and it gives me a little color on my greys, a little too much color on my wispy light hair at the temples and ends, but I'm guessing wouldn't do much colorwise to darker hair, and, the point is, it's nice for a bit of henna shine.

I would still strand test, though--you don't want orange wisps at your temples, believe me!

I'll second this - it's so light it can even be done to tone down bleached highlights and gives a light golden brown which fades (but can build up over time if you keep doing it). It's lovely for the condition.