PDA

View Full Version : The ooh "Not so funny" moments AND funny moments...in Hair History.

Raven69
November 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Another "Lets laugh and support each other" threads...Hope this puts a smile on your face...and makes you more aware of your poor pretty hair and its feelings!

Please tell us your 'Not so funny' moments AND as well as your funny moments with your hair? Or if you have seen other Long Hairs that experienced one - tell us! I am sure it was funny to you, but knowing about long hair could sympathize with them as well.

Ok, not sure if there is already a thread for this...so please don't sue me for posting this...just politely let me know and I'll delete this thread (or mods can..not sure if we have permission to delete our own thread).

Here's a couple of mine:

I had just come home from work and had let down my raven-silky hair to finish drying. So I sat down on my chair and started to play on the 'net, suddenly I felt the urge to scoot back...and ooops! I scooted right back on my hair! Talk about ouch!

Then one time I forgot to move hair in front of me and almost went to the bathroom on my hair! Yuck!!!

I shut my hair in the car door! AND I tried to walk away...:cry:

ilovelonghair
November 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I shut my hair in the car door! AND I tried to walk away...:cry:

That happens nearly every day for me, only the other way round; when I sit in the car.

Raven69
November 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Oooh, ever have anyone point or wave to get your attention to let you know what you just did? Or point as you drive away with your hair hanging outside of the vehicle? Hehe...

Kirin
November 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
cooking dinner I was oblivious to the fly strip we had hanging near the window, 'nuff said lol.

GlassEyes
November 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
cooking dinner I was oblivious to the fly strip we had hanging near the window, 'nuff said lol.
XDDDDDDD

IN winterguard, I was practicing this toss with a girl where we flipped flags into the air, whirled aroun, and caught each other's...well, they made us all put our hair into ponytails (and since I had the longest hair of the males, I was no exception), and when we whirled, our hair got twisted together with the bobby pins I had shoved in...

The flags went too far forward, and we ran forward to get them, not realizing our hair was stuck together. x_X It hurt.

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Can't think of anything major, but back in grade school when my hair was past my bum, it would *always* get caught in those 'school chairs'...on those metal pieces that hold them together. It was so painful every time (and it happened quite often) and I'm sure it caused quite a bit of damage.

AJoifulNoise
November 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM

My stepmom hung one of those outside the front door. It had all kinds of bug parts all over it. Yep, I backed right into it. Yeeeeeeeeeeeek!

yogachic
November 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Oh ya, been there done that many times with the yucky bug filled fly strip. :S

Sometimes i close the car door when I'm already in, and if the winds blowing my hair gets stuck in the door or window. Ouch

Went to the DMV the other day to register hubby's new truck and those chairs kept catching my hair. They were rough chairs. I had to keep my hair pulled over one shoulder to prevent the damage from the chair.

Magicknthenight
November 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
My stepmom hung one of those outside the front door. It had all kinds of bug parts all over it. Yep, I backed right into it. Yeeeeeeeeeeeek!

I have backed into those little fly strips as well. My friend thought it was HILARIOUS! I however..was not amused. I've also gotten my hair stuck in the school desks. The little metal screws in the back of the seat and when i go to sit up it yanks my head back...lets see...also the car door...other peoples arm pit. Well..loads of places but i have been wearing it up for a long time now.

seadaughter
November 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I was doing some gymnastics and, after a handstand, I landed into a bridge with my feet steppping on and pulling my braid. That was quite painful.

zift
November 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Getting lice was the most not funny moment in my life:rolleyes:
And also when kids and cats hung up on your braid it's funny and not so funny at the same time because it kind of hurts. Also when someone sits on your hair, it's funny for the person sitting but not so funny for you whose hair is pulling*lol*

joyfulmom4
November 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Eeeeew! :shudder: This happened to me too once. We were camping and the camper is such a small space, I backed into a big strip of flypaper. Yuck!

Addy
November 13th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I hate that fly strip but that sucker works... and is very sticky too. Believe me, I know. :rolleyes:

ladyfairington
November 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM
oh gosh.

one time i was at a bus stop and it was hot out.

the bench was in the sun, so i stood and leaned against the advertisement-thingy while i waited in the shade.

when the bus was down the street, i picked my backpack up from the ground when i felt this tugging on my hair.

i looked down and gasped- someone had put their gum on the side of the advertisement and it was wadded up in my hair.

i felt like crying.

i boarded the bus and did everything in my power to untangle it from my hair.

i think the person chewed on that piece of gum for a long time because it wasn't that sticky.

phew!

i got scared. <3!

Dolly
November 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Well, when I had a loaner car with automatic windows, I was driving down the road and just casually reached over and pushed the button to put the window up, not realizing that my hair was out the window......I am a short person, so when the window was all the way shut, I was nearly up out of my seat.....I almost had an accident trying to fumble around with all the buttons and find the one to get the window back down.

Also, my idiocy got the better of me a few months ago after Hurricane Gustav hit. I could still cook on the stovetop, because it is gas. BUT, the ignition is electric, so you had to turn the gas on and light it with a match. Well, I had just taken a shower a few hours before (cold water), and I left my hair down to dry. So, I was lighting the stove, and was leaned over.....if my fiancee hadn't been there, I would've had a disaster! Luckily, he said....."Look out!", and came over and pulled my hair back out of the way. Normally, I am quite conscientious about my hair, but I was exhausted at that point. Thank goodness for my sweetie!

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
LOL I've had my hair caught in the car door. It usually happens when I get in. I"ve also had it caught in the window. My cousin held my hair hostage in the car window on purpose. he's mean!

when I was in high school there was a guy that sat behind me in math who had a crush on me. more than a few times he put my hair on his desk and colored on it with markers. When that didn't get my attention he made it a point to come to class early and make sure his desk was scooted further back from mine. when I came to class and sat down my hair hung over the back of my chair. He rammed his desk into the back of my chair and trapped my hair there. it hurt and I was pissed.

once I accidentally sucked it into the vacuum cleaner. I ran over a piece of string or something and I had bent over to pull it out of the vacuum roller and when I leaned over I must have pushed the vacuum forward. I had a dickens of a time unwinding my hair. it wasn't much but enough to scare the bejezes right out of me!

AnneAdeline
November 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
The last time I did a full henna application, I went to pick DBF up at his house with all that goop in my hair (wrapped in plastic, of course!). About half-way there, it started dripping down my neck. Head tilted sideways to try to prevent the dripping, I knocked on the door and asked if he could grab me some paper towels before we left. I made such a mess!

Nat242
November 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
My partner and I have a recliner chair that's up against a wall... when you put the footrest up, the top of the chair comes away from the wall a little, and my partner has a habit of flicking his ponytail up over the top of the chair.

This means that about once a day, when he puts the footrest back in and goes to stand up, he realises his ponytail is stuck between the chair and the wall, and he's stuck - he flails about like a turtle on its back. It's so funny! :lol:

(I'll admit that I've done it once or twice too) :D

StephanieB
November 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Most nights, if I don't remember, in my sleep, to check for my hair with my hands BEFORE I roll over (coz I prefer to sleep with it loose, since it's easy to detangle and I like having it "free" for sleeping) --- I am usually jerked awake quite rudely.

My biggest cat - Harry - at about 26 lbs of solid muscle (no fat about him, no flab) likes to sleep on my hair, nesting in it, right on my pillow.

When I go to sleep, he's only on the corner of my pillow, but when I wake up, he's usualyy on more than 70% of my pillow!

So, when I try to roll over, Harry's dead sleeping weight holds my head back, and I always twist my neck painfully... not to mention my hair's roots being tugged hard!

And If I put scarf or cap on my hair, Harry usually pulls it off while I'm sleeping, and pulls my hair out to nest in. :/

If I have it braided or in an updo for the next day, I must pin one of my linen 12th century medieval reinactment barbettes around my chin and over the top of my head, so Harry can't get my satin cap off. They still "work" well, in the 21st century, let me tell you!

StephanieB
November 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
And when Harry isn't hogging my hair and my pillow, Grace (a/k/s "Sissie") is.

Some mornings (and the middle of some nights, too), I have to wake hubby with my screams, as I try to de-cat myself fast enough to make it to the bathroom. (wait till those of you who don't know what I mean hit middle age and discover that the Enablex only works somewhat, not completely!)

I hate being trapped in my own bed!

Living with 10 cats and 2 dogs in the winter time, and only owning a standard double-sized bed, is ROUGH!
They ALL pile on top of us to keep warm.

StephanieB
November 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Not to mention Alice Cooper sitting on my hair and locking my head in the direction he wants me to look at.....

He jumps from the floor up onto my shoulders, with NO warning... often on the darkened staircase, and settles himself down to ride about for hours on end on my shoulders.

Please remember that I have ruptured lumbar discs all along my lumbar spine. That's what handicaps me, prevents me from being able to walk.

But Alice still rides me, unaware or uncaring that I can't carry his load of weight any more.

We can't break him of that habit, either - jumping up on someone's back to shoulder-ride with NO warning. He scares the u-kno-wat outta most of my guests.

Arctic_Mama
November 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Oooh, these make me cringe. My worst has just been wrapped around some screws on furniture.... very tame but shockingly painful.

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 10:26 PM
OMG Stephanie. LOL I had to laugh. When I first read your post I missed your two previous posts so I kept trying to figure out if you were related to Alice Cooper or just crazy as a loon. LOL finally I see your two posts before that and it all makes sense. after reading it from last to first I'm sitting wiping tears out of my eyes after laughing so hard. I'm not laughing AT you but I just had this really funny mental picture of you in my head covered in cats. I love the term de-cat

lynnala
November 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Awhile back I worked in a warehouse and I was a 'bin filler'. I ran around finding and counting out parts and filling orders. Well, one thing they had were these VERY powerful little magnets. Once they were locked together it was very hard to get them apart. Oh, and I wore light cotton gloves to save my hands....well, you guessed it. Not only did I get a piece of my glove stuck in between two of these things, but some hair with it as well. So I'm hiding and trying with one hand to get my glove and my hair out of this monster.....I couldn't do it. I finally had to ask for help. You can imagine that my co-workers had fun with that for awhile!

Sammybunny711
November 14th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Okay...perhaps it is funny that I dreamed about this but last night, I had this dream where I was scratching my head or something and in my hand, I had a HANDFUL (like a whole hand FULL) of my hair off the top of my head and all I had left was this HUGE bald spot! IT was HORRIBLE! I was sobbing to my fiance and he kept telling me "It doesn't look that bad, It doesn't look that bad..." It was hilarious that I actually dreamed something like that but it felt so REAL. I was about to be seriously devastated if I woke up with a huge bald spot!

Islandgrrl
November 14th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I once closed my knee length hair in the car door and drove 60+ miles down the highway with a couple feet of my hair hanging out and whipping around. Muddy greasy stinky mess.

Once upon a time, Hubs and I were sitting down to a late dinner and he said "Ew, there's one of your hairs in my food." I replied (oh, so stupidly) with, "How do you know it's mine?" And he started pulling this hair off his plate....and pulling, and pulling and pulling. Oh. :bigeyes: Mine. Yeah.

TheKnight'sLady
November 14th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Mine isn't long enough yet to get caught in a car door, but it gets hung up in the seatbelt all the time. A few little hairs decide to attache themselves to the shoulder strap and when I unbuckle and the belt recoils, my hair goes with it. Ouch!

Raven69
November 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM
*Feels good that she's not the only one to experience the pain...and humiliation of not so funny and funny moments in hair*

I always worry and have had nightmares about gum being stuck in my hair so badly that I would have to cut it off so that basically my new hair cut would look like a guys'.

When I was younger (roughly around 12 years old) my hair was a little below BSL, and we used to raise chickens so we could get free eggs. Well this one hen that we had could bear chicks, and her last batch produced around 8 or so chicks. Unfortunately she looked like this one useless hen we had and we were chasing them around the chicken pen - needless to say we killed the wrong hen! So we tried to put the other hen in with the chicks and of course her not being their mother, they all crowded toward the back of the plastic cat carrier we had and the hen huddled towards the front opening. So they became mother-less. Well I went to check on them one day and noticed that the other chicks had nearly smashed another chick to the ground. I saw that it was barely alive so I told my parents and they let me nurse it back to health. I would bring it inside with me and perch it on my shoulder and tuck it in my hair so that it would feel like it was sitting under its mother while I watched tv. I always feared it would poo in my hair and my parents were worried to. Luckily it only did it on my shoulder (shirt) but it was still gross! My parents eventually told me to put it back with the others...and I came home one day and the poor chick was dead! I was soo sad!

Periwinkle
November 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM
We used to have budgies. One of them was very tame and would sometimes sit on my head or my shoulder, and sometimes he would nibble on my hair. On one occasion, he also, ahem, answered the call of nature in it...fortunately budgie droppings are very easy to clean away!

I have to have lots of pillows/cushions on my bed. One cushion, that I've had for a long time, has buttons on, and loose hair gets wrapped around them so that the cushion becomes attached to my head (OUCH!). Until I started braiding at night after joining LHC, it never occured to me to do that and since my hair was always ponytailed or loose, I had to wrestle the cushion from my head every single morning.

StephanieB
November 14th, 2008, 02:25 PM
OMG Stephanie. LOL I had to laugh. When I first read your post I missed your two previous posts so I kept trying to figure out if you were related to Alice Cooper or just crazy as a loon. LOL finally I see your two posts before that and it all makes sense. after reading it from last to first I'm sitting wiping tears out of my eyes after laughing so hard. I'm not laughing AT you but I just had this really funny mental picture of you in my head covered in cats. I love the term de-cat
I'm pretty sure the term "de-cat" is a Blaine Family original. :D

My cats:

Alice Cooper }
Jiggs ....... } littermate brothers
Bella Luna (a/k/a ""Mrs. Cat", Bella Balloona - coz she ballooned to outrageous Hindenburg-like proportions")
Ozzie Osbourne }
Grace Slick (a/k/a "Sissy" or "Gracie") } littermate brother & sister
Frances (a/k/a "Fat@$$" - [I]she had a littermate sister, Clare, who died a few weeks after they arrived here, in one of the lounge chairs - we now alwyas check underneath chairs before closing them back up, and no one is permitted to lie back in one if they're the sole human home at the time)
Ginger (a/k/a "Ginny" or "B****CatFromHell")
Patches
Harry (a/k/a The Big Orange Thing", "Big Red", "the Big Blob that ate Orange NJ", "Harrifurrous")
Spats

My dogs:

Midnight
Rufus

My ferret - SugarPlum.

Out turtles: Georgie & Eddie

That make it easier now? lol

StephanieB
November 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Okay...perhaps it is funny that I dreamed about this but last night, I had this dream where I was scratching my head or something and in my hand, I had a HANDFUL (like a whole hand FULL) of my hair off the top of my head and all I had left was this HUGE bald spot! IT was HORRIBLE! I was sobbing to my fiance and he kept telling me "It doesn't look that bad, It doesn't look that bad..." It was hilarious that I actually dreamed something like that but it felt so REAL. I was about to be seriously devastated if I woke up with a huge bald spot!
Most dream interpreters will tell you what I'm about to tell you --- dreaming about loss like that (usually it's teeth, loss of one's teeth... but here, with LHCers all obsessed about our hair, it's likelier to be our hair) generally mean that we are feeling a loss of control in our lives.

That may not apply to you, but if it does... you know why you have such dreams. :)

granitbaby
November 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
One time my henna started to drip and I ran for paper in order not to have henna stains all over the place. Unfortunately I got henna drip on an antique lace table cloth on my way to get paper. Not so much fun...

I now you are supposed to treat your hair as antique lace, not treat antique lace as hair. ;)

joyfulmom4
November 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Most dream interpreters will tell you what I'm about to tell you --- dreaming about loss like that (usually it's teeth, loss of one's teeth... but here, with LHCers all obsessed about our hair, it's likelier to be our hair) generally mean that we are feeling a loss of control in our lives.

That may not apply to you, but if it does... you know why you have such dreams. :)

Interesting. I have had quite a few recurring dreams about losing both teeth and hair.

Usually the teeth dreams involve my teeth just crumbling apart. First it's one tooth and I'm really upset, then another tooth and another, with me getting increasingly distraught until I wake up in a sickening panic. Sometimes the dream involves me trying to get them fixed by a dentist or force them back into my own mouth before they completely disintegrate.

The hair dreams generally involve me making some rash or impulsive decision to get my hair cut short. Then after I have it cut, the horrible realization comes that I have cut my long hair and it will take years to grow it back. I feel all sad and sick at heart. Not as ghastly as the teeth dream, but very emotionally traumatic. Makes me afraid to ever cut my hair b/c I fear I will end up feeling that way!

I can think of plenty of times when I felt that my life was not in control. I cannot recall if these dreams occurred at those times though. I have several recurring dreams that are typical themes. I dream that I'm walking along and find some money. Then more money. Then even more. Then it becomes huge piles of money! And there's the one where I show up to a class on the very last day and have to take the final exam, but I haven't attended the class so I don't know anything (it's usually a mathematics class). And the one where I can't find my way around the middle school (lol! my dd is in middle school now). Or various dreams about being chased (in mine, I always lope on all fours like a dog, how weird???). I have heard these are all common dream themes. No idea what they mean. Oddly, I have not had falling dreams or naked-in-public-places dreams.

StephanieB
November 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Interesting. I have had quite a few recurring dreams about losing both teeth and hair.

Usually the teeth dreams involve my teeth just crumbling apart. First it's one tooth and I'm really upset, then another tooth and another, with me getting increasingly distraught until I wake up in a sickening panic. Sometimes the dream involves me trying to get them fixed by a dentist or force them back into my own mouth before they completely disintegrate.

The hair dreams generally involve me making some rash or impulsive decision to get my hair cut short. Then after I have it cut, the horrible realization comes that I have cut my long hair and it will take years to grow it back. I feel all sad and sick at heart. Not as ghastly as the teeth dream, but very emotionally traumatic. Makes me afraid to ever cut my hair b/c I fear I will end up feeling that way!

I can think of plenty of times when I felt that my life was not in control. I cannot recall if these dreams occurred at those times though. I have several recurring dreams that are typical themes. I dream that I'm walking along and find some money. Then more money. Then even more. Then it becomes huge piles of money! And there's the one where I show up to a class on the very last day and have to take the final exam, but I haven't attended the class so I don't know anything (it's usually a mathematics class). And the one where I can't find my way around the middle school (lol! my dd is in middle school now). Or various dreams about being chased (in mine, I always lope on all fours like a dog, how weird???). I have heard these are all common dream themes. No idea what they mean. Oddly, I have not had falling dreams or naked-in-public-places dreams.

Answers (or possible answers) via PM for your privacy's sake.

I'm a dream interpreter, among other things.

HIH. :)

ilovelonghair
November 16th, 2008, 01:39 AM
My hair also gets often stuck in chairs, those metal chairs they have outside at coffee places. I also burned my hair a couple of times, one time as a kid I burned a long lock out with a candle which was behind me on the table, I didn't see it and it went really fast.
My cats have always been very respectful with my hair, even though it must have been tempting for them, they respected the fact that it was a part of me and not to be played with.

The most stupid thing that happens, always happens when my partner and I are in a shop, somehow he manages to get my hair stuck under his armpit! How is that possible? But it hurts!

joyfulmom4
November 16th, 2008, 06:56 AM
. I also burned my hair a couple of times, one time as a kid I burned a long lock out with a candle which was behind me on the table, I didn't see it and it went really fast.

Oooh! Scary! Please everyone be very careful about hair around flames and very hot surfaces. There was a little girl near us whose hair caught on fire from the stove and she was horribly burned. Very dangerous. If any of you have kids w/ long hair, make sure you teach them to be extra cautious of the risk of their hair catching fire.

Shypii90
November 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
This one's hair related, but didn't happen with my hair, technically.

When my sister put on henna on my hair and we were in the kitchen after, it was bleeding down my neck and such. We were eating pasta with this black beef extract sauce (Bovril, related to Marmite) and I think at one point I went to wipe away henna from my neck and ended up with a big spot on the back of my palm. Absent-mindedly (it was about midnight) I thought the drop was of the sauce, so I licked it. My sister stared at me in disgust and I said "oh my god! That was Henna not Bovril! BLEAUURGHH".. luckily it tasted of nothing lol.

Something else was when I was convinced that my hair is medium red and everyone stubbornly insisted that it was bright orange!!

And nearly everyday when I swing my backpack over my shoulders and the strap clings to my shoulders, there's hair trapped under nearly all the time, so it pulls a bit. Hmm.. maybe it explains why the left side of my hair is longer than the right..

banglaminerva
November 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I try to be very vigilant about this, but with how crazy work gets sometimes, there are days I miss.

Rush to the bathroom when I have 2 minutes free... and rush out with my hair tucked into my pants. Embarrassing and painful, a wonderful combination.