PDA

View Full Version : Holy cow! A little over 2 years since last buzz cut!

0xalis
June 13th, 2021, 12:01 AM
My wife pointed out to me today that it's been 2 years since the last time we shaved our heads. I completely forgot! My last buzz cut was in May of 2019, hers was April or March of 2019.
I've never made an anniversary post before, (at least on the main forum, I have over in blogland) but I've been seeing lots of people making them recently, so why the heck not?

In hopes of inspiring all the super-shorties out there, I'll show yall my journey so far in pictures! IT GETS BETTER, I PROMISE!!!!!!!! Just stick with it and you will NOT be in the awkward phase forever.
Slow but steady, your hair will grow. Secret weapons include: hats, scarves, headbands, little teeny claw clips, snap clips, and/or a whole lot of confidence (if you can't muster up the real stuff, fake is fine too! :p)

Without further ado, pictures!!:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/853486987763515392/2019-2020.png?width=972&height=609
You may have seen this collage before, (I posted it in blogland I think,) for my first growth anniversary.
In November 2019, when I decided to grow on purpose, I chopped from a shaggy pixie thing to an ear-length bob with an undercut so I could skip past all the mullet trimming.
I did have to upkeep the undercut, but I think it was a lot easier than trying to get a straight hemline every time I trimmed lol. I always prefer to trim my own hair whenever possible.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/853491739964211230/Major_Trim_July_15_2020.png?width=1287&height=572
In July of 2020 I decided to sacrifice some length for more comfort and sanity! Shout out to the lovely lady at Supercuts who gave me EXACTLY what I asked for!
This was a major milestone for me. This was the day I finally felt like I had truly and entirely grown out the buzz cut.
Despite it seeming like I had a nice blunt cut with the ear-length bob, it still had a bazillion layers, they just layed flat so they weren't apparent until my hair was much longer.
I absolutely hate layers in my fine hair, they make it look shredded and damaged even when very healthy (at least in my opinion.) It's just too flighty for layers.
A thick, even hemline and no more layers was a worthwhile sacrifice for a several month setback in terms of length. I was just dying to get to shoulder length, but I hated my hair SO MUCH that I never wanted anyone to see it.
Growing out was a much smoother process from this point onward, I felt a lot less impatient after this trim because I genuinely liked the way my hair looked.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/853503590794133524/late_2020_-_mid_2021_faves.png?width=931&height=572
Some fav pix from late 2020 to current 2021! (We traveled to Texas in October due to a family emergency, otherwise we wouldn't have gone during the pandemic.)
As I said before, it was a lot smoother sailing after the major trim. The smoothest sailing started once I FINALLY hit collarbone though!
Now I don't even really care if it grows, I love my hair exactly as it is and any extra is bonus! :p I am very excited to have it longer, but I'm in no rush whatsoever anymore.
Collarbone was a huge milestone for me, because that's the longest it's been in years. It's also, in my opinion, a very flattering length on me. CBL "lobs" have always been a favorite of mine!
Now that I'm halfway between CBL and APL, my hair is currently the longest it's been since I was 17-almost-18!!!
I grew to APL+ back then, but lost a battle with super lice and shaved my head for the first time right after graduation. Thankfully that did cure the problem! :laugh: (Can you imagine if it didn't!?!? Yikes shudder: )
The last time my was even remotely longish was when I first met my wife in late 2017, and at that time it was CBL. I cut it into a pixie again a few months later. So until now, CBL was the longest my hair had been in my adult life!

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/853508194666807296/Jazz_Favs.png?width=1440&height=430
Since I already included some of my wife's hair in that first collage, here's a few bonus pix of her sleek luxurious hair!
Jazzy's hair hasn't been trimmed since the ear-length bob, (besides one microtrim to even up the hem a little) the layers really suit her sleek thick hair.
So, her hair is quite a bit longer than mine even though we've been growing around the same amount of time. She also stopped upkeeping her buzz a little before me, so that gave her a head start!
She's Chamorro from Guam so she's got an amazingly resilient hair texture. She could literally wear her down every single day of her life and still grow to knee length. I actually get excited when I see a split end in her hair lol.
It's hard being a hair enthusiast with a wife who's hair is the nicest you've ever seen, her hair is so pretty it's literally distracting!!! (I read this out loud to her and made her giggle :o)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/853512699211415582/Ponytail_Progression.png?width=1440&height=386
Last but not least, ponytail progression! From the very first attempt at a single ponytail to the most recent (literally today, my hair is in the same ponytail as we speak lol.)
Something I sacrificed with the big trim back to chin was my ability to do full ponytails. The layers made it to where it all fit into a ponytail and that was one of the only ways I could stand to wear my hair at that time. (Somehow though I have NO ponytail pictures from that time...)
So now that my hair looks good both down and in a ponytail, I'm really super happy with it! I like that my hair is still short enough that high ponytails are still comfortable and feasible, I love the way they swing!!!
It feels so nice to feel it gently brush against my upper back when we go on a walk. I think it looks really cute, too. It might be one of the most simple hairstyles but I think it's fun and super cute.

Hope you enjoyed! I had a lot of fun making this post. It sure was a trip down memory lane! Never give up, and happy growing!!!

0xalis
June 13th, 2021, 12:03 AM
Uhg, I formatted the post so nicely while I was making it, but the website decided to crunch everything all weirdly :( I am way too lazy to go back and edit everything now, so I hope it's not too distracting!!

JasminxCat
June 13th, 2021, 12:19 AM
I loved reading this. Your hair has come such a long way. It's so beautiful :)

purple_omelette
June 13th, 2021, 12:30 AM
Loved this post! Congrats on your hair journey, it looks stunning :) and thanks for sharing the additional pics of your wife's hair, you two look super cute together :D

Jools69
June 13th, 2021, 12:33 AM
Thank you. It was lovely reading about your progress and seeing it in the pictures. You’ve definitely have come a long way and your hair is beautiful.

Mariekeeee14
June 13th, 2021, 02:35 AM
Yasssss progress! So nice to see:flower: and I love how open and soft your face looks without your bangs :)

lapushka
June 13th, 2021, 04:02 AM
It is pretty neat to see that progress throughout the years, 0xalis!

Congratulations, girl! :cheer:

It's looking nice and full, I have to say. I especially love the latest picture (3rd compilation in, far right). Awesome looking hair! :D

Siv
June 13th, 2021, 04:56 AM
Oh my goodness, (:oops: I'll be honest I only looked at the pictures but) your hair is sooo long now! I think the last I saw was October!! It must grow crazy fast to go from buzz to essentially APL in two years!

Lainey
June 13th, 2021, 05:16 AM
Oxalis this is such a great post. Congratulations on your achievements and your hair looks great...and long! It shows the value of perseverance and patience. Ps: My fine hair is exactly as you describe with layers.

school of fish
June 13th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Wonderful post, wonderful growth - very inspiring, congrats!!!

Bat
June 13th, 2021, 06:52 AM
Uhg, I formatted the post so nicely while I was making it, but the website decided to crunch everything all weirdly :( I am way too lazy to go back and edit everything now, so I hope it's not too distracting!!
Congrats! Both of you have gorgeous hair I’m jealous!

ZoeZ
June 13th, 2021, 07:38 AM
Wow, your hair seems to grow really fast compared to mine - it takes me more like three years to get what you have in two. :) Both you and your wife's hair is insanely silky and glossy. Lovely hair photos!

Belgrade Beauty
June 13th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Omg, I had no idea you were growing from buzz..?! Amazing!

Kibrah
June 13th, 2021, 10:27 AM
What a great descriptive post. Love it. Such nice growth for you and your wife. You've made a lot of progress in 2 years.

Zesty
June 13th, 2021, 11:23 AM
I love this post, and I'm so happy that you're happy with your hair! However long you grow it, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your journey. I'm sure your hair will continue to be gorgeous at any length. :)

Iyashikei
June 13th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Beautiful hair on a lovely lady. Your wife has very pretty hair too.

I agree with the others here, you and your wife are really cute together.

lapis_lazuli
June 13th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Your progress is so amazing and inspiring! I look forward to seeing where your journey takes you :blossom:

If the narrow margin is what you mean by crunched, the site always does that to the first post on a page to make room for an ad. Still perfectly readable :)

sipnsun
June 13th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Wow, you both have made terrific progress in such a short amount of time! Both are looking great and I enjoyed your pics!

Bri-Chan
June 13th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Amazing growth both you and your wife!

ReadingRenee
June 13th, 2021, 05:57 PM
I love this post! Its so great to see you and your wifes progress! Your hair has gotten so long! I love your braid waves in the Mar 2021 picture! What kind of braids did you do to get those results?

CuteCrow
June 13th, 2021, 07:49 PM
Congratulations! I started growing a little before you, but I've always loved seeing your progress. Your wife's hair is really beautiful indeed, but your hair is no less either! :crush: . I really love your hair colour, and it looks so pretty at this length!

paulownia
June 13th, 2021, 11:30 PM
Congratulations, great progress ;). You will reach APL in no time.
You both have gorgeous hair. Awesome to have the partner on the hair journey, and life journey too!:blossom:

Gem
June 14th, 2021, 02:55 AM
Oh wow, both of you have such beautiful hair! It's a lot of fun having a hair care partner. My ex and I still message each other whenever we find out a new hair thing.

0xalis
June 14th, 2021, 03:51 AM
Thank you all SO much! :o :grouphug: We are both very flattered by the sweet compliments, and grateful for all the support!!!
I would reply to every person individually but this post got way more traffic than I expected in such a short amount of time! I love this community :D
Even though I'm replying to you all as a group, I read each of your comments and they all brought me joy :inlove:

I love your braid waves in the Mar 2021 picture! What kind of braids did you do to get those results?
Thank you! To answer your question, I simply use double french or dutch braids. I don't do them on sopping wet hair though, in fact I do it when my hair has JUST dried completely.
Then I just keep the braids in as long as I can stand them, which is typically for the rest of that day and then overnight.
I find this gives the best results for me. I don't have to wait extra long for my hair to dry, but it's still in that very "moldable" state. I discovered this on accident, from awkwardly bending my freshly washed hair with ponytails lol!

Joyful Mystery
June 14th, 2021, 09:35 AM
Great post! What an awesome journey! Congrats on your progress so far!

thatsideoflife
June 14th, 2021, 09:39 AM
You have such beautiful hair! Impressive collage and growth. It really shows how the hair wants to be long;)

Finda
June 14th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Loved the pictures, that's amazing progress :)

_Melly_
June 15th, 2021, 10:34 PM
Oh wow, what a journey and you look great with the buzz and the longer hair.

illicitlizard
June 16th, 2021, 01:01 AM
Congratulations on 2 years of growing :) Your hair looks to be in excellent condition, love all the pics of different stages!

Stray_mind
June 16th, 2021, 02:07 AM
Congratulations! You have traveled far :flower:

SleepyTangles
June 17th, 2021, 10:11 AM
How could I miss this??! Congratulations 0xalis!! :cheer: :cheer:

0xalis
June 18th, 2021, 01:57 AM
Thank you so much everyone!!!! :grouphug:

TatsuOni
June 20th, 2021, 03:02 AM
It's grown so much! :cheer:

baanoo
June 20th, 2021, 09:27 AM
This post brought me so much joy - to see your delight at every stage is really beautiful! Congratulations on getting over the growing-out hump with grace - and yowza you and your wife are on your way to being some full-fledged longhair goddesses!

DropStitches
June 20th, 2021, 10:23 AM
Congratulations, 0xalis! I started growing my buzz cut out a few months after you did, so I always love seeing your progress - it feels like getting a peek into my hair future!

Nox_Inber
June 20th, 2021, 04:55 PM
You and your wife both have beautiful, healthy hair! Hers reminds me a lot of my boyfriends - sleek, naturally dark, shiny and super fast growing. Jeez, they're lucky people lol! Congratulations to you both on all the growth so far :)

Weemomma
June 20th, 2021, 09:30 PM
Congratulations! You have come so far.

shutterpillar
June 22nd, 2021, 03:48 PM
I am growing out a mohawk right now so this gives me hope and motivation!