PDA

View Full Version : Unsure if I should give CO a try...

Starbunny
June 6th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Howdy, all! I KNOW you guys would know the answer to this question.

I have 1c/2a, F, ii hair. I also have scalp psoriasis. Is something like CO washing a good idea? I did it in college and it made my semi-wavy hair have SUCH good waves and I rememeber my psoriasis being better as well. but I am 11 years out of college now (turning 33 this month) and I'm not sure if my scalp psoriasis will do alright with CO washing...

I'd love y'all's thoughts!

aloewurly
June 6th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Personally, I dont think it'd be a good idea. You don't want to risk any fungal or bacterial overgrowth that, while benign/just a minor annoyance to other, could really flare up your psoriasis. If you're in it just for the gentle cleansing, a sulphate free shampoo or even a mild sulphate one could work just fine! And as someone with waves, what determines them is mostly my conditioning, not my shampooing. Maybe your waves formed better because CO requires very thorough massage, and that makes most conditioners emulsify like crazy and work themselves in to your hair strands! You could try working your regular conditioner in for longer (I'm talking three to five minutes, if you have the time and energy). It makes a world of difference to me.

Kibrah
June 6th, 2021, 01:02 PM
I think it all depends on your hair and scalp. If it has helped you in the past I would think it would be worth a try. For me, it does help my dry itchy scalp, but I only do it every other wash at the moment as I am still kinda feeling it out to see how my hair and scalp like it. I am using the As I Am Coconut Co-Wash. I think I will try something different when I am through the tub I have as I think it does leave buildup on my hair. I also tried VO5 Strawberries and cream, but it has the itchy M's and my scalp and skin did not tolerate it at all.

Starbunny
June 6th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Thank you guys for the insights!

lapushka
June 6th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Personally, I dont think it'd be a good idea. You don't want to risk any fungal or bacterial overgrowth that, while benign/just a minor annoyance to other, could really flare up your psoriasis. If you're in it just for the gentle cleansing, a sulphate free shampoo or even a mild sulphate one could work just fine! And as someone with waves, what determines them is mostly my conditioning, not my shampooing. Maybe your waves formed better because CO requires very thorough massage, and that makes most conditioners emulsify like crazy and work themselves in to your hair strands! You could try working your regular conditioner in for longer (I'm talking three to five minutes, if you have the time and energy). It makes a world of difference to me.

^^ Totally agree with this. If you have a finicky scalp, be extra careful! Always a good thing.

Also, yes, I cleanse with a harsh sulfate shampoo, but I double condition afterwards, to combat the dryness of the shampoo for one. It works, somehow. My routine is in my signature, BTW. Has been going great for me, for many years now!

Zesty
June 6th, 2021, 01:52 PM

I agree with this also. With a scalp condition I wouldn't suggest experimenting with CO. On the other hand, experimenting with different conditioners and masks and application techniques for the lengths (if you're at a point where you have the length to avoid your scalp? I see you list your length as "pixie") could be great for your waves, without the risk.

Kat
June 6th, 2021, 03:21 PM
I don't see why you couldn't try it. Especially as you know it *has* worked for you in the past.

lapushka
June 6th, 2021, 03:38 PM
I don't see why you couldn't try it. Especially as you know it *has* worked for you in the past.

Begs the question. What did you use in college days, Starbunny. You said it's 11 years ago, and I don't think they had the marketed "CO-washes" back then. Just plain old conditioner. If you are planning on going back to it, try and use the same products you did then. Sometimes the products matter!

Nox_Inber
June 6th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Just my :twocents: but CO washing doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation. You could try CO washing once or twice a week (or two, depending on your wash schedule) and see your hair and scalp respond. I personally can't do regular CO washing because I need sulfate shampoo but I do benefit from it once in a while like I would a deep conditioning treatment. Good luck!

Starbunny
June 6th, 2021, 06:01 PM
Thanks all of you for further thoughts! I like the idea of Wash, Condition, Condition. In college, I used suave cone-free products.

Kat
June 6th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Begs the question. What did you use in college days, Starbunny. You said it's 11 years ago, and I don't think they had the marketed "CO-washes" back then. Just plain old conditioner. If you are planning on going back to it, try and use the same products you did then. Sometimes the products matter!

I don't think they did, either. I'm still trying to figure out where those came from. AFAIK, a CO wash was a long-hair thing (I assume not just an LHC thing, though), and then I started seeing commercial "co-wash" products and seeing other people talking about it (and spent a lot of time going, "IT'S NOT CO-WASH LIKE YOU HAVE A COWORKER OR A CODEPENDENCY! IT'S C-O WASH, AS IN CONDITIONER-ONLY!" lol). Where did all these companies get it and suddenly decide it was a good idea? What's in these special "co wash" products that isn't in the regular light, cheap conditioners people have been using for years?

lapushka
June 7th, 2021, 02:08 AM
I don't think they did, either. I'm still trying to figure out where those came from. AFAIK, a CO wash was a long-hair thing (I assume not just an LHC thing, though), and then I started seeing commercial "co-wash" products and seeing other people talking about it (and spent a lot of time going, "IT'S NOT CO-WASH LIKE YOU HAVE A COWORKER OR A CODEPENDENCY! IT'S C-O WASH, AS IN CONDITIONER-ONLY!" lol). Where did all these companies get it and suddenly decide it was a good idea? What's in these special "co wash" products that isn't in the regular light, cheap conditioners people have been using for years?

A very very mild surfactant, mostly.

Kat
June 7th, 2021, 08:03 PM
A very very mild surfactant, mostly.

My understanding was that a surfactant is how conditioners clean, though?

(I mean, I know: companies saw they could market it and of course had to make a "special" product and most people won't realize they can grab their generic V05/Suave/White Rain off the shelf for less than a buck...)

Ylva
June 8th, 2021, 04:10 AM
My understanding was that a surfactant is how conditioners clean, though?

(I mean, I know: companies saw they could market it and of course had to make a "special" product and most people won't realize they can grab their generic V05/Suave/White Rain off the shelf for less than a buck...)

Surfactants are cleansing ingredients such as sulfates and milder things. The cleaning power of conditioners comes from emulsifiers, which make it possible for water and oil to mix.

lapushka
June 8th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Surfactants are cleansing ingredients such as sulfates and milder things. The cleaning power of conditioners comes from emulsifiers, which make it possible for water and oil to mix.

Never worked for me though, or... I'm too oily. I need a surfactant. It is what it is.

Kat
June 8th, 2021, 07:44 PM

Hm. I was told once-- I think here-- that conditioners are surfactants and that's how they clean.

neko_kawaii
June 8th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Surfactant appears to be a general purpose word and includes emulsifiers. Wikipedia. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant)

Surfactants are compounds that lower the surface tension (or interfacial tension) between two liquids, between a gas and a liquid, or between a liquid and a solid. Surfactants may act as detergents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming agents, or dispersants.

lapushka
June 9th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Meh, maybe bad word choice on my part. I always thought, mistakenly so it now appears, that conditioners had no detergents, hence no surfactants.

Kat
June 9th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Meh, maybe bad word choice on my part. I always thought, mistakenly so it now appears, that conditioners had no detergents, hence no surfactants.

Whereas I'm pretty sure that when it was explained to me all that time ago, the person said shampoos had detergents, whereas conditioners had surfactants, and that was the difference...

PeonyBlue
June 11th, 2021, 02:47 AM
Hi all, I was going to write a big geeky post on surfactants, as I’ve been doing a lot of research recently while making my own shampoos and conditioners. But then I thought, this post explains it really well: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/products-ingredients/cationic-surfactants-in-curly-hair-care-products

TLDR? Basically, both detergents and conditioners are surfactants (ie break the surface tension of water & attract oils & help to remove dirt that way). However detergents/shampoos are anionic (similar charge to hair) and so attract those things that cling to hair and then wash away. Conditioners are cationic and so tend to bind more to hair (think like magnets), and so only the excess product tends to wash stuff away…some may still be left behind.

Hexana
June 11th, 2021, 05:13 AM
Just my :twocents: but CO washing doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation. You could try CO washing once or twice a week (or two, depending on your wash schedule) and see your hair and scalp respond. I personally can't do regular CO washing because I need sulfate shampoo but I do benefit from it once in a while like I would a deep conditioning treatment. Good luck!

I agree with Nox_Inber. Try it a couple of times to see if it works ok for your scalp. If you are using a lot of styling products then CO washing will not be enough.
Also all conditioners are not suitable to be used for Cowashing. Make sure you choose one that actually says "Co-Wash".

Kat
June 11th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Actually, before all of the "co-wash" products came out, many people were using lightweight conditioners like V05 and Suave (where do you think the commercial manufacturers got the idea?). Many of us still do.

Dark40
June 12th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Howdy, all! I KNOW you guys would know the answer to this question.

I have 1c/2a, F, ii hair. I also have scalp psoriasis. Is something like CO washing a good idea? I did it in college and it made my semi-wavy hair have SUCH good waves and I rememeber my psoriasis being better as well. but I am 11 years out of college now (turning 33 this month) and I'm not sure if my scalp psoriasis will do alright with CO washing...

I'd love y'all's thoughts!

I think that it would be a good idea for you these days as it's been 11 years since you were in college, and it did your hair and scalp good back then! I don't see why not?! I also have a finicky scalp too dealing with dandruff and flakes every now and then but every other week or so I also use the Head & Shoulders Shampoo and Conditioner. I know that the people here at LHC are always against it but it really works well for my hair and scalp. If you decide to do it just make sure you always use a clarifying shampoo or a shampoo with sulfates in it. Can you use shampoos with sulfates in it?