PDA

View Full Version : can pressing teeth down gentky on hair danage it

filip
May 20th, 2021, 12:46 AM
if you just press gently down on my hair with your teeth without using force, is it enough to damage the structure of the hair?

I accidentally got hair in my mouth the other day whuile I was eating and this may have happened but i didn;t bite off any hair.

Tinyponies
May 20th, 2021, 01:41 AM
I often wonder this too; I always have a lot of little wispy hairs that will definitely get between my teeth when I’m talking if I let them fly. I feel like it would damage them if I did it a lot, and it’s especially annoying as those will have the best healthy natural ends out of all the hairs on my head.

In your case though I wouldn’t worry unless it’s something that happens ten times a day! And no idea if it actually damages them or not. Perhaps someone more well-versed on the structure of hair will chime in.

Zesty
May 20th, 2021, 06:36 AM
If you're constantly chewing on your braid tassel or something then I'd say yes, but an isolated accident or two wouldn't be something that would worry me. :)

blackgothicdoll
May 20th, 2021, 06:49 AM
I hold sections of hair in my mouth while washing when my hands are busy grabbing product (no judgement needed, let me live my life :o ), haven't had an issues.

lapushka
May 20th, 2021, 08:40 AM
if you just press gently down on my hair with your teeth without using force, is it enough to damage the structure of the hair?

I accidentally got hair in my mouth the other day whuile I was eating and this may have happened but i didn;t bite off any hair.

Once? No, of course not.

I used to chew my hair (tassel) all the time as a child, and I never got damage from that. Hair is sturdier than that. Now if you should make it a hobby to just constantly chew through it? Different story. :)

foreveryours
May 20th, 2021, 02:25 PM
Once? Unless you put a visual "kink" in the strand, probably not. But I imagine the damage from compression would be the same as due to repeated use of hair elastics at the same spot. That's where the hair will fail eventually all else being equal

momof3mary
May 30th, 2021, 09:24 AM
My oldest does this, I'm always telling them to stop but they insist it's a coping mechanism. So I'm buying them some things to chew on instead. Lots of gum and such.

lapushka
May 30th, 2021, 11:16 AM
My oldest does this, I'm always telling them to stop but they insist it's a coping mechanism. So I'm buying them some things to chew on instead. Lots of gum and such.

Try looking into these (generally used for kids with autism or sensory issues):
https://www.therapyshoppe.com/specials/P4258-fabric-chewy-bite-bands-chewy-necklace-jewelry-tube-sensory-oral-motor-adhd-autism

Lyanna
May 30th, 2021, 12:29 PM
My brother used to chew on his hair a lot when he was younger, you could tell which strand it was by how dry and brittle it was, but I don't think accidentally biting on it when it gets in your mouth would damage it to the point where you would notice.

momof3mary
May 30th, 2021, 07:51 PM
Try looking into these (generally used for kids with autism or sensory issues):
https://www.therapyshoppe.com/specials/P4258-fabric-chewy-bite-bands-chewy-necklace-jewelry-tube-sensory-oral-motor-adhd-autism

Thank you kindly!!

lapushka
May 31st, 2021, 01:54 AM
Thank you kindly!!

Welcome! :)