PDA

View Full Version : how would you classify this hair type?

intothemist1999
May 18th, 2021, 12:17 AM
I can't figure out how to define my darned hairs.

I really have to change my sig photo cuz my hair just does not look that lovely any more lol

I have fine hair, and alot of it. Mainly straight, but can show some waves that are not attractive. What I'm particularly having trouble with is the hairs themselves. Fine, yes, but if you imagine a kinky hair or a coiled hair pulled taut...so it's pulled straight, but still shows the "waves and peaks", stretched-out though they are. What the heck would one call that?

I've tried searching kinky or wiry, but all results bring up results for much coarser and usually curlier hair.

To be honest I tend to think of this hair as more common on men, but maybe that's because it's kept shorter. I don't know what it would look like long on them. I know my uncle had that kind of hair and I believe my mom did, too, but she always kept it short and curled, or up, so back in those days I didn't really know what she got up to and how it would have looked overall, if left unstyled. Frizzy maybe, like brushed out curly hair?

lapushka
May 18th, 2021, 04:58 AM
We have a special thread where you can post a picture. Have us hairtype you, because from text alone... just not possible! Wait... I'll look up the thread for you! It's called the official hair typing thread:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81905

scarlettepia
May 18th, 2021, 06:04 AM
Sounds like curly hair, you might want to look into Curly Girl Method. I believe LHC has a thread for curly hair care aswell.

intothemist1999
May 18th, 2021, 09:44 PM
We have a special thread where you can post a picture. Have us hairtype you, because from text alone... just not possible! Wait... I'll look up the thread for you! It's called the official hair typing thread:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81905

Thanks for that link - the only one I could find was locked. I'm familiar with the hair typing, but couldn't determine out where this kind of hair would fall.

intothemist1999
May 18th, 2021, 09:51 PM
Sounds like curly hair, you might want to look into Curly Girl Method. I believe LHC has a thread for curly hair care aswell.

Thank you for the reply. That's kind what I was thinking but although the hairs themselves seems to have a sort of "crimped" appearance, the overall head of hair doesn't seem curly. I've just come off one year on CGM which I originally tried mainly to pay more attention and give better care, but it didn't make a difference. There were marginal results adding wave, but not enough to get excited about (or bother with the effort) and my waves just never look good.

I guess at best, the description (to answer my own question, in part) is that my hair is "frizzy"...not so much because of humidity or whatever, but because the hairs themselves are built kinda frizzy :)

Tinyponies
May 19th, 2021, 02:51 AM
Dear Mist, I have quite a few hairs that I think might be like what you describe, and my Mum’s hair was like it all over before her hair went white. Kind of like each hair has an uneven texture that appears wiry/frizzy/kinked and that’s how it grew. I can feel the “turns” as ridges if I run my fingers down a single hair. I used to be able to take a plucked hair like this and stretch it, and the ridges would kind of stretch out, but my hair has become too fine to do that nowadays.

Eta I think this pic from a couple of years ago shows a bit what I mean -
https://i.imgur.com/maf5Cyy.jpg

lapushka
May 19th, 2021, 04:01 AM
Thank you for the reply. That's kind what I was thinking but although the hairs themselves seems to have a sort of "crimped" appearance, the overall head of hair doesn't seem curly. I've just come off one year on CGM which I originally tried mainly to pay more attention and give better care, but it didn't make a difference. There were marginal results adding wave, but not enough to get excited about (or bother with the effort) and my waves just never look good.

I guess at best, the description (to answer my own question, in part) is that my hair is "frizzy"...not so much because of humidity or whatever, but because the hairs themselves are built kinda frizzy :)

Is it wavier than in my signature? Or just about that? Because then we have something to go on. Might be that you have shifted into a more wavy pattern, but you would need to hairtype for it. For your own peace of mind, or to show us, either is OK!