PDA

View Full Version : The Major Chop and Re-Growing Thread

Bat
April 23rd, 2021, 06:03 AM
This is for people who have cut off a good 2+ Milestones due to chopping off Dye,Bad Layers, Damage etc.

Or for people who are planning on growing a certain length before cutting it off then Re-Growing back.

I guess it's a support thread for others who have gone through such a thing or are considering this as an opinion and need others to talk to about it.

I myself am considering growing my Layers to apl+ then cutting off whatever I've grown before keeping on going.

even if I decide not to go through that route I'm sure there will be others going through this so I think it's a Valid topic

Disclaimer: I understand some of you won't like this idea and you are welcome to share your opinion, just be aware that each time you post, bumps the topic up to the first page

Ylva
April 23rd, 2021, 06:50 AM
I suppose I've done this once in recent years (I have no memory of all of my cuts since I've had long hair for quite a while now); from this (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34218&d=1543410151) to this (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36066&d=1553031406) in two increments, and now I'm back to this (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44902&d=1616847408).

ETA: As a small child, I also went from butt-length to a bob, but there was no intention of growing back out. In fact, there was no intention at all, since I wasn't really thinking about my hair anyway.

AmaryllisRed
April 23rd, 2021, 07:40 AM
I used to chop back to chin every two years. I like doing it and I like donating the length.
I haven't cut it in years at this point, though. I have considered making my next cut a significant one (knee to hip for example), but I've also been talking about cutting it for years, so... maybe ignore me. :whistle:

Joyful Mystery
April 23rd, 2021, 09:57 AM
I've done a major chop a couple of times the most recent due to poor health. I ended up chopping from waist to a little shorter than chin last June and maintained the shorter style until October.

Bat
April 23rd, 2021, 10:50 AM
My last real big chop was back when I had APL in 2016 hair then I went through my transition and I unfortunately cut it quite short on the backs and sides and just had slightly longer on-top, I've been trying to grow it back since but due color and cutting addiction I never got anywhere, last time I shaved my head was 2018 after a disaster of trying to go Silver from Blue Black but as soon as it got Long enough I of course started up bleaching again and had another semi disaster in 2019 when I had half black and half, bleached the blond side too much and had to rock and asymmetral split dye pixie,

I decided 2020 was going to be the year I officially start growing it for real managed to get to can I call it Shoulder in September (with really only one drastic change
in June where I went red and got a bald side shave) before chopping off some bleach damage.

A few mishaps later (getting a mullet) I think I'm back on track I finally made it to shoulder!, I still want to go blond again but I'm trying to grow the black out a little longer (Hopefully until next year?) and only getting a professional to bleach whatever I grow within 3-6 months, I'm growing out all my layers too hopefully to apl then even it up if I can stomach losing 2-3 milestones to do so

lapushka
April 23rd, 2021, 10:56 AM
Oooh, that was me in 2016, November. Took it all the way to hip, from classic (reached September 2015 for the first in *ages*). Yes, I found maintaining really hard, and it kept growing uncomfortably beyond that, and that is when I got scissor-happy, I'm afraid. Well, my mom cut it for me. If it wasn't for her saying, "I'm not cutting more off than this." I would have lost a lot more length at that time!

Grew it back out, no trims, in March 2018. Have been classic ever since, and... not going anywhere. I found a great schedule on which to trim & maintain and it is working for me!

Bugg
April 23rd, 2021, 11:52 AM
I went from waist to shoulder to buzz in the space of 2 years, now I’m regrowing to waist and beyond! :D

JasminxCat
April 23rd, 2021, 12:59 PM
I plan on growing out my uneven layers to MBL, then I'll chop off the rest of 4 inches to get it even to one length. In 2 months I think I should be there to do it, I might wait longer depending if I'm comfortable yet to do it

lapushka
April 23rd, 2021, 04:27 PM
I mean... I told you guys my last "big chop", but I went from BSL to chin 2x and to BSL from hip, in the time I've been here. I've been here a while, and trust me when I say, the long hair for sure did not come easy to me!

Bri-Chan
April 23rd, 2021, 04:44 PM
I was never focused so much on growing my hair until late 2018. Before that, I was that type of person who goes every X months for a trim, so it was always slowly growing. Several times I grew to a length that I think it's solid mid back or even waist, I length that I don't like on my self, and then I cut back to armpit or collarbone. My last chop was from waist to bsl in mid 2018 - it was because of damage but I don't regret it, I liked that cut with my blue hair.
Now I don't think about something similar, but I don't exclude to cut like 20 cm of hair one day to eliminate my most damaged section. But it would be more like, ftl to tbl or something similar.

_Melly_
April 24th, 2021, 01:54 PM
I went from collar bone to buzzed hair. Currently growing it all out and shortest length is eyebrow and longest is back of neck.

Jo Ann
April 25th, 2021, 12:40 AM
Last July, I went from HL/TBL (shorter on the left, longer on the right) to BSL. I'm now about 3" from WL, but haven't been doing all the (upon reflection) stoopid stuff like using the equivalent of very mild bleach baths (who KNEW baking soda + developer = weak bleach??) to remove semi-permanent dye from my hair. I'm doing better with leaving shampoo in for about five minutes or thereabouts when I wash my hair to fade dye, and my hair appreciates that more than I know. There's still uneven hair growth (one part of being human, three parts of damaged hair growing out with the accompanying breakage from all the stuff I did to get rid of my natural color so I could use semi-permanent hair dye [four boxes of high-lift blonde box dye, a few more bleach baths, and my now-unused concoction to get rid of the semi-permanent hair dye, to name a few :shocked: ), but the hair growing in, even though I get my roots bleached about every four months or so, is in much better condition than the damaged part from about APL on down.

I'm hoping that, when I go in for my trim mid-year, I'll be able to keep most of the growth I gained; I might go another year or so before trimming to at least keep it about WL or longer, I don't know just yet.