PDA

View Full Version : Have any long hairs noticed this...

Thrasher07
November 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM
As my hair got longer and heavier, it began to lie flatter and flatter against my head, it's completely flat now. It really, really, doesn't bother me, in fact I like the look. But my mum HATES it, she's always moaning that it has no volume at the roots anymore.

Is this just a general thing that happens to longhairs?
And has anyone else had comments like the above?

neon-dream
November 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
when I straighten my hair it looks much flatter than when it's wavey, but it has gotten more flat at it has gotten longer, so it's not just you!!
I've had no comments about it though. As long as you like the look it shouldn't matter :)
xxx

Darkhorse1
November 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I find I go through phases of this. D'you know what I found out the culprit was? Over use of cone products. Recently backed off of them and wow! My hair got boost. If the ends are weighed down, it will pull the roots flat. Hope that helps! :)

Áine
November 13th, 2008, 02:18 PM
With my hair type, I don't generally notice that, although I can see very easily how that can happen. Being that my hair is on the coarser side and it tends to grow out instead of down, I have the opposite thing happening where it is taking up more space if I leave it down.

I actually think there is nothing wrong with this flat look, it probably looks glossy and sleek on you.

HairColoredHair
November 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
My hair's done this too, it doesn't bother me.

Wearing damp hair in a high loose bun to sleep can result in more volume in the morning.

Raven69
November 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, growing up - my parents only ever allowed me to have hair BSL and no longer than that...so I was too my hair being so thick and wavy (with lots of wavy curls and some S curls/eaves). Then after I enlisted into the Navy and went to bootcamp they chopped my hair off and since growing it out...it hasn't been as wavy/curly as I remembered it being. Well now that my hair is to my thighs (tops of my thighs)/longer and thus heavier it doesnt curl as much or have as much volume as it did before the major cut (it had too much volume for my own good when it was neck length and up to the tops of my ears.).

maskedrose
November 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I don't notice it on freshly washed hair, since the wurl gives volume all the way up to the roots, but on day 2 or 3? Definitely. I've been kinda worried about it getting flat when it gets longer, but I think my few face-framing layers will help with that.

BTW, my mom makes the same comments - for some reason I think it's a generational thing, but I could be wrong. All I know is that she likes fluffy hair. I've had to fight with her tooth and nail to stay away from bleach hightlights. Her response: "But it would give your hair so much volume!" Hmmm, no thanks. I have volume enough all by myself :)

Sarahmoon
November 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
My hair has been just as flat when it was bra strap length as far as I can remember. But my hair is pretty straight. Maybe things like these are more noticeable when the hair is wavy or curly.

mira-chan
November 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'm thankful mine lies flatter. It used to stand up a good 2 inches all around my head post wash until it was longer than hip length. I could lose a small mammal under there and not notice.

SimplyLonghair
November 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
The funny this is that for me I have noticed just the opposite. As my hair gets longer it is getting fuller. I have just stopped stripping it of it's natural bounce I guess. Before LHC my hair was straight, then it went to waves and now if I use Rainwater rinse or ACV rinse then I have positive ringlets!:D

jastark84
November 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
My hair does that the longer it gets. When it was short I had triangle head shudder: , so for me the longer it gets my curls get weighed down and my hair lies flatter.

NeilTheFuzz
November 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I don't know this for certain but, from my perspective. My hair used to resemble an afro until about 3 years into its growth. So I can only assume that more hair equals more weight, which in turn equals more downwardness! It tends to happen to most long haired people I talk to.

Neil

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I think it's normal, due to the weight of the hair as it gets longer. My hair looks pretty flat when it's straightened too, because curly hair is actually fine, not as thick as it really seems (of course there are exceptions). If you want more volume at the top, I guess try volumizing products or try to "fluff up" your hair. Mine is actually pretty straight/wavy at the top, but ends in spiral curls/ringlets, which I love! When it was shorter though, it was ubercurly all over.

I like the current look though, according to your avatar!

SearMeCarefully
November 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I hate the flat at the top of my head! My stylist can give me a bit of a lift using clips and product but I can never seem to duplicate the look..
..I can get some volume a bit when I diffuse my hair upside down until completely dry - this is one thing I keep fighting about with my hair

Curlsgirl
November 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Mine is fairly flat on top too especially after a couple of days after washing. I kind of like it though until it starts looking greasy, then I know it's time to wash. Mine is also blunt cut so it's even heavier than it would be with layers I guess. I guess it's good I like the look and don't have to fight against it!

RocketDog
November 14th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I don't get 'lift' at the roots unless styling products are used - it has nothing to do with length, and I know this because when I had 1/2" long hair after shaving my head it STILL preferred to lie flat instead of sproing away from my scalp. I don't mind it, since it's always been that way. I could never imagine myself having Jennifer Anniston-esque root lift.

Periwinkle
November 15th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Hopefully that'll happen to me...I HATE volume at my roots and spend my life trying to get rid of it!

Ryanne
November 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Mine is very flat, I kind of like it.

BlndeInDisguise
November 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I've always had very flat hair at my roots. But then, I've had pretty long hair for as long as I can remember, as well. Or at least, ever since I noticed when my hair looked like. ;)

Drynwhyl
November 16th, 2008, 04:51 AM
It rarely happens,considering my high volume, but then you turn your head upside down and brush it. Voila, instant volume! :D

Dreamernz
November 16th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I've experienced this but in the reverse. when my hair was a lot longer it was always very flat, when i got it cut it started growing out wavy, its flattened out now but i always liked the wavy and curly look-surprisingly easy to have and sustain with a simple plait :D

Dreamernz
November 16th, 2008, 05:12 AM
lol my mum's a hairdresser and quite frankly i seem to complain more about my hair at times than her! :D:D:D You have to work with what you got and make it work!

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
When it was long (I'm starting over :P) I loved it... the weight/length sort of tamed my 'fro a bit.

Omens
March 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I think it's normal, due to the weight of the hair as it gets longer. My hair looks pretty flat when it's straightened too, because curly hair is actually fine, not as thick as it really seems (of course there are exceptions). If you want more volume at the top, I guess try volumizing products or try to "fluff up" your hair. Mine is actually pretty straight/wavy at the top, but ends in spiral curls/ringlets, which I love! When it was shorter though, it was ubercurly all over.

I like the current look though, according to your avatar!

Yup, same here. It's all straight/wavy at the top then goes all psycho curly at the bottom. Before I grew it out the curls were everywhere.

My mom hates the 'flatness'. She always tells me to use a headband while it's drying, but personally, I embrace the flatness. I used to have to toy with the curls by my face all the time because they would dry at the oddest angles...now I just tuck it behind my ears and away I go. Sometimes it is annoying though, because it seems like my hair just can't decide if it wants to be straight or super curly....

Deborah
March 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM
It is just a natural occurrence. As hair grows longer, the weight pulls it down slightly. I wouldn't worry about it. It might be that your mum just doesn't like long hair. If you are happy with how it looks, I'd just tell her that you like it as it is. Tell her it hurts your feelings when she criticizes your appearance. Maybe she'll stop. :)

gallows_gallery
March 31st, 2009, 12:09 AM
Definitely.

My hair had always been stick-straight all the way down to my hip bones - and I was surprised to fnd out that when I got a fringe and front layer cut in - they went all WAVY!

I suppose the weight of the length was keeping them straight. I hate the waves! They are currently growing out. If they were big, pretty waves I'd love them, but they're more like random kinks.

LittleOrca
March 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM
My hair only gets flatter if it has not been washed for three days. I love my waves and a quick CO gets them back in place! I have never really thought about going flat or worrying about it too much, since when I reach my goal my hair will be mostly in braids anyways and I will always have those waves to enjoy. :)

andber
March 31st, 2009, 12:22 AM
My 2-year old daughter has quite thick hair with some curl. The thickness and the length it has (about to the shoulderblades) makes it flat except the ends which curls so that it looks like her hair is only a little longer than shoulders. As it grows longer the curls I guess will not be so visible anymore.

Raven69 - does your hair grow fast? I tried to do some calculation here: If you enlisted into the Navy when you were maybe 19-20 years old and your hair was cut short, now you are 24 and your hair is to your thighs... Sounds like a fast grower!!

Honey39
March 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM
I'm praying that as it gets longer, my hair will lie flatter! I have triangle head, and I love the way hair is when it falls down like a waterfall, smooth and going DOWN! My hair has definite tendencies to go out sideways, lol

jojo
March 31st, 2009, 03:48 AM
I have noticed this with my hair, what helps mine have more volume is to do a scrunchie bun, quite high up on damp hair and leave until its dry. Even if you do a lower bun after it still gives a little more volume.

noelgirl
March 31st, 2009, 05:50 AM
My hair is still poufy when it's freshly washed, but it tames itself more naturally when it's long - it settles into waves instead of staying fluffy. I don't think the obsession with volume is generational - my mom usually comments more about my hair being in my face than about volume or length. And really, the longer it gets, the more "out of my face" it will be (especially once my bangs grow out), and she often compliments updos and half-ups for that reason.

helen2806
March 31st, 2009, 05:52 AM
my hair naturally has a lot of volume/lift, but it does gets a littler flatter when it's longer - although bunning it overnight or even just flipping my head upside down for a while easily brings it back, which is good because I prefer it looking bigger

Phalaenopsis
March 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
There's always somehting wrong with people's hair, you know. When you are curly, people say it's too *big* and when you have straight hair your hair is too flat, bla bla bla :D You have great hair and it's pretty flat.

My hair only has some volume when it freshly washed. Day two it's still quite alright and day three, as flat as it can be...

I used to think I was 1b, but I had layers and my hair was a lot shorter, so yes, length has something to do with, because now I'm clearly 1a.

Carolyn
March 31st, 2009, 06:44 AM
I love the sleek, shiny, straight look so I embrace it. When I had shoulder length layered hair, it had some crown volume the day I washed it. I liked that due to the style I had at the time. Now that it's all one length, I love the sleekness. I think hair like mine (1C) will go straighter and have little volume at the crown as it grows and gains more weight. My mom didn't like that look on me. I agree it's likely a generational thing.

KajiKodomo
March 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM
I know what you mean about it being flat, and I agree with maskedrose, it's probably a generational thing. Big hair used to be (and still is to a degree) very fashionable, and hair that laid flat was thought of as highly unfashionable.

I think your hair looks great in your avatar! :D

JamieLeigh
March 31st, 2009, 08:25 AM
First of all, your hair is YOUR business, not your mother's or anyone else's! I think one of the number one principles we have here on LHC is "Your hair is YOUR hair, do what YOU like with it." (If it's not number one, it should be! ;))

Secondly, there are plenty of things you can do to add volume to your hair. You can turn your head upside down and brush from your scalp down towards the floor (after detangling, of course, and never wet!!). Then when you stand upright, there will be volume. There are safe curling and waving options, such as sleeping in braids or wearing non-heat rollers. You could put a small bit of mousse into your hands while your hair is wet, and massage it through your roots. There are plenty of options, if you don't want it sticking flat against your head.

But again, that is YOUR choice to make, not someone else's. If you love your hair the way it is, FLAUNT IT!! :cheese: