PDA

View Full Version : Hair Mishaps and Funny Accidents

Shorty89
April 16th, 2021, 03:09 PM
I'm sure there was an old thread about hair mishaps but I couldn't find one. I just had a hair mishap in the bathroom. :tmi::tmi: I had my hair up in the wrapped ribboned braids from Morgan Donner but I took the wrapped part down for a nap. For those who don't know the style, the ribbons tie off the braids and hang to the ground when not wrapped around your head. Well, I forgot about that and went to the washroom. I only clued in when a wet ribbon stuck to my butt! Yup! It had totally fallen into the toilet. I couldn't take my hair down and toss that ribbon fast enough. :lol:

Eastbound&Down
April 16th, 2021, 04:25 PM
I'm sure there was an old thread about hair mishaps but I couldn't find one. I just had a hair mishap in the bathroom. :tmi::tmi: I had my hair up in the wrapped ribboned braids from Morgan Donner but I took the wrapped part down for a nap. For those who don't know the style, the ribbons tie off the braids and hang to the ground when not wrapped around your head. Well, I forgot about that and went to the washroom. I only clued in when a wet ribbon stuck to my butt! Yup! It had totally fallen into the toilet. I couldn't take my hair down and toss that ribbon fast enough. :lol:

Oh no! Long hair problems, indeed!

Kibrah
April 17th, 2021, 12:02 AM
Oh my! Sorry this happened to you, but it did give me a good chuckle.

My latest mishap involves breakfast a few weeks ago. Leaned forward over my plate of potatoes and over easy eggs to grab the pepper. My braid came over my shoulder and plopped right into the eggs.

Jo Ann
April 17th, 2021, 02:08 AM
I told Youngest Dear Son that he'll know he's a long hair (he's currently APL) when he gets his hair caught when the seat belt retracts :shocked:

Jools69
April 17th, 2021, 02:37 AM
I’m not very good at using bristled hair rollers or round brushes. I remembered in my mid teens I tried to curl my shoulder length hair with just a few hair rollers that got stuck. After my mother said it may have to be cut out (my parents wanted me to have short hair anyway), I managed to rip them out, but probably had lots of splits. :(

Kat
April 17th, 2021, 11:16 AM
I think I've told the story before about the time I was helping Former Partner paint his house... doing the underside of the kitchen cabinets... then managed to bump my head against the freshly-painted cabinets (because of course I did, because klutz). There we were, with him trying to scrub the paint off my hair with a rag... I wore a scarf over my hair after that.

Oh my! Sorry this happened to you, but it did give me a good chuckle.

My latest mishap involves breakfast a few weeks ago. Leaned forward over my plate of potatoes and over easy eggs to grab the pepper. My braid came over my shoulder and plopped right into the eggs.

UGH the braid flop. Bane of my existence... cleaning bucket, litterbox, carrying something I have to set on the floor, bending over to tie my shoes and the braid flops into my line of vision... there have been times when it has been so annoying I've had to quell the urge to grab the nearest pair of scissors and just chop the braid(s) off. (But then I remember my hair will be in the way even more if it's too short to pull back...)

Bat
April 17th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Sometimes when I shave I forget to tie my hair back and end up catching my hair instead another I've noticed is getting hair trapped when I'm putting in my hoop/sleeper earrings, things I've forgotten about, since the last time I had longish hair was about 4-5 years ago

Feral_
April 17th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Picking dog poo up in the garden - holding one poo in the bag palm up and wandering around scouting for others - didn’t notice my braid tassel was resting on my open hand :blueeek:

foreveryours
April 17th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Picking dog poo up in the garden - holding one poo in the bag palm up and wandering around scouting for others - didn’t notice my braid tassel was resting on my open hand :blueeek:

Hopefully it wasn't fresh but had air dried some :p

Kibrah
April 17th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Well, now I don't think mine was that bad at all. I'll take eggs over litter boxes and dog poop any day!

foreveryours
April 17th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Well, now I don't think mine was that bad at all. I'll take eggs over litter boxes and dog poop any day!

Some people put egg in their hair intentionally but apparently beer is much better

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html

:beerchug:

Kibrah
April 17th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Some people put egg in their hair intentionally but apparently beer is much better

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html

:beerchug:
I have used egg white to wash my hair and I really liked the results. I know the protein doesn't soak in but it did make my hair feel nice. Beer has only gotten onto my hair by accident. I'll check out that link, thanks.

Shorty89
April 17th, 2021, 06:34 PM

I'd agree with you on that one! I always make sure my hair is up before I do my cat's litter box.

TheLuckyLurker
April 17th, 2021, 07:09 PM
I remember reading a story on this very forum years ago about someone wearing her hair loose. She bent down to tie her shoe and somehow ended up standing on her own hair. There was enough slack that she didn't notice... until she stood up. Or rather, tried to stand up.

Kat
April 17th, 2021, 10:44 PM
I'd agree with you on that one! I always make sure my hair is up before I do my cat's litter box.

My braid gets tucked into the back of my shirt. Yup, way too many near-misses...

I remember reading a story on this very forum years ago about someone wearing her hair loose. She bent down to tie her shoe and somehow ended up standing on her own hair. There was enough slack that she didn't notice... until she stood up. Or rather, tried to stand up.

Oh, I have done this so many times...

Oh yes, and I've also told the story before (probably more than once) about the time I woke up and tried to turn over, but my partner was lying on my hair. Right up against my back, so I could not move my head at all. And wouldn't wake up. All I could do was keep elbowing him until he finally came to just enough for me to get across to him that he needed to move and why... (I can't remember if he even remembered it the next morning... I don't think so, because I seem to recall describing it to him and him cracking up.)

DweamGoiL
April 17th, 2021, 11:23 PM
I usually like to dry my hair by laying it behind me while I am sitting on the couch working or watching TV. Sometimes I'll turn on the fan and just move the hair around for air circulation and faster drying. I have one of those back pillow things with the arms on the sides and it "had" large buttons on the top so you can add a neck pillow when needed. So, as I usually do and have been doing for quite a while, I had washed my hair and sat down and spread my hair behind me and tossed it around a few times as it dried. When I went to get up, somehow, the hair near the back of my neck had managed to wrap itself around the previously mentioned buttons and I was trapped. I had to get my daughter to assist in freeing me. Needless to say buttons were cut off right after.

Feral_
April 18th, 2021, 02:51 AM
Hopefully it wasn't fresh but had air dried some :p

Thankfully yes, they’re always small ‘kickable’ poos lol. Your comment alone tells me you are au fait with canine poop! :puppy:

foreveryours
April 18th, 2021, 03:02 AM
Thankfully yes, they’re always small ‘kickable’ poos lol. Your comment alone tells me you are au fait with canine poop! :puppy:

C'est vrai, je suis tres au fait! :p

But it's been a long time

Lady Stardust
April 18th, 2021, 04:05 AM
I usually like to dry my hair by laying it behind me while I am sitting on the couch working or watching TV. Sometimes I'll turn on the fan and just move the hair around for air circulation and faster drying. I have one of those back pillow things with the arms on the sides and it "had" large buttons on the top so you can add a neck pillow when needed. So, as I usually do and have been doing for quite a while, I had washed my hair and sat down and spread my hair behind me and tossed it around a few times as it dried. When I went to get up, somehow, the hair near the back of my neck had managed to wrap itself around the previously mentioned buttons and I was trapped. I had to get my daughter to assist in freeing me. Needless to say buttons were cut off right after.

I sympathise! I cut the buttons off the neck of my daughter’s tops after her hair got horribly tangled in them. Trying to rescue a toddler when her hair is eating her clothes is no fun!

Feral_
April 18th, 2021, 07:14 AM
Just had a hair accident - cleaning in the kitchen underneath a wall unit cupboard. Forgetting I was underneath the corner of the unit, I went to stand up (I’ve done this previously and had to ice my skull) :headache: Whacked my head - but my bun took the impact! I’m re-naming it a safety bun! :lol:

Bat
April 18th, 2021, 07:17 AM

Nothing to do with this post but I just had to say your hair is gorgeous

Kat
April 18th, 2021, 10:36 AM

At one church I went to, for some reason the choir robes had a button on back... they had a small decorative twisted braid coming down from the back neckline that ended in a button (it's possible some choir stoles have a button loop to fasten them to? I've never seen such a thing, but it's the only reason I can think of for having the button there, unless it was truly just decorative, which would be odd). I had to remove mine because my braid would always catch on it.

I have another shirt with beading around the neckline... yup, braid catches.

Just had a hair accident - cleaning in the kitchen underneath a wall unit cupboard. Forgetting I was underneath the corner of the unit, I went to stand up (I’ve done this previously and had to ice my skull) :headache: Whacked my head - but my bun took the impact! I’m re-naming it a safety bun! :lol:

"Safety bun" is precisely why I always skate with my hair in a bun. The one time I fell backward and whacked my head on the ice... was the one day I happened to have my hair in a bun (usually I didn't, but I had just washed it). Instead of ending up with a concussion, my head bounced and I got up and said, "well that was lucky."

These days I also use my foam-ish bun form to create the bun, for more cushioning (and I only use my plastic hairpins, so they'll break rather than impaling my scalp like metal might).

Shorty89
April 18th, 2021, 12:41 PM

Ouch! I hate when I get something like a bracelet caught in my undo. Then I have to take my hair down to get it untangled. This happens too often with my medical alert bracelet.

Haha. I've definitely whacked my bun a few times.

MusicalSpoons
April 18th, 2021, 01:26 PM
The only incidents I can recall in the past couple of years were when my hair closed the bathroom door behind me - after I was already in my bedroom - and having a kitten climbing up it when it was down for air-drying. I did also get it tangled around the front door handle (I can't quite remember why it was down that time) and have had a few near-misses with wheelchair wheels before I realised that with scarf and coat collar I needed to do the buns higher, otherwise they're bumped and wiggled loose by the scarf/collar combo to the point of falling out. The weirdest one was when I found a wasp tangled in my wispies, with my hair very securely up out of the way :laugh:

Pre-LHC I've had the tangles in bag straps, braid caught on velcro, trapped in the car door (on a very wispy day that occasionally still happens!), retracted with the seatbelt, stepped on, laid on, trapped in every manner of clothing, zips, tangled round buttons, dunked in the sink (never the toilet though, and never in animal poop), whacked myself with a braid, whacked other people with a braid, someone else sat on, tangled round somebody else's bag, caught in someone else's velcro if I got close enough, tangled round glasses, tangled round my own fine tuners, wind instrument keys, tangled round someone else's instrument, knocking things off surfaces (still happens in the shower and occasionally when it's down after washing, just before bed), knocking other people's music off their stand, hair caught in necklaces, bracelets, jewellery, in food, in my mouth, in a cat's mouth - but not the chickens, because I knew to tie it up when I tended to them, same when I worked on a farm, although I have had a horse and goat have a nibble (not at the same time) when I wasn't at work and only had it in a ponytail - in other people's faces ... I think the only things it's not accidentally fallen into are poop, urine, vomit, and fire (though it has had a bird poop on it, but totally randomly and beyond my control). I have had a nosebleed on my hair before (and on my clothes - the hair was easier to wash), got toothpaste on it, woken up with having drooled on it, clay, paint, glue - though never chewing gum; baby gumming on it, toddlers' curious and sticky hands (and babies' curious, usually drooly hands) grabbing it, etc.

As an older teen then adult I avoided most foreseeable things, especially the ones needing to be washed out, by having it tied up, but the mechanical things didn't (mostly) stop until I subconsciously started preferring buns to a braid or ponytail. The music ones were more frequent because I used to wear it either down or in a half-up for concerts. It did actually occur to me at the beginning of one concert that I was so unaccustomed to having my hair down, my brain glitched momentarily when my hair got caught underneath my shoulder rest and it took longer than it should have to work out how to resolve it and prevent it from happening :lol:

Thank goodness for buns and giving up hair elastics so that more wispies grow long enough to graduate to being incorporated into the buns!

DweamGoiL
April 18th, 2021, 01:36 PM
Nothing to do with this post but I just had to say your hair is gorgeous

Thanks, you're so sweet!

And MusicalSpoons - You win! Your hair has sure gone through a LOT over the years!

Jools69
April 19th, 2021, 12:33 AM
The only incidents I can recall in the past couple of years were when my hair closed the bathroom door behind me - after I was already in my bedroom - and having a kitten climbing up it when it was down for air-drying. I did also get it tangled around the front door handle (I can't quite remember why it was down that time) and have had a few near-misses with wheelchair wheels before I realised that with scarf and coat collar I needed to do the buns higher, otherwise they're bumped and wiggled loose by the scarf/collar combo to the point of falling out. The weirdest one was when I found a wasp tangled in my wispies, with my hair very securely up out of the way :laugh:

Pre-LHC I've had the tangles in bag straps, braid caught on velcro, trapped in the car door (on a very wispy day that occasionally still happens!), retracted with the seatbelt, stepped on, laid on, trapped in every manner of clothing, zips, tangled round buttons, dunked in the sink (never the toilet though, and never in animal poop), whacked myself with a braid, whacked other people with a braid, someone else sat on, tangled round somebody else's bag, caught in someone else's velcro if I got close enough, tangled round glasses, tangled round my own fine tuners, wind instrument keys, tangled round someone else's instrument, knocking things off surfaces (still happens in the shower and occasionally when it's down after washing, just before bed), knocking other people's music off their stand, hair caught in necklaces, bracelets, jewellery, in food, in my mouth, in a cat's mouth - but not the chickens, because I knew to tie it up when I tended to them, same when I worked on a farm, although I have had a horse and goat have a nibble (not at the same time) when I wasn't at work and only had it in a ponytail - in other people's faces ... I think the only things it's not accidentally fallen into are poop, urine, vomit, and fire (though it has had a bird poop on it, but totally randomly and beyond my control). I have had a nosebleed on my hair before (and on my clothes - the hair was easier to wash), got toothpaste on it, woken up with having drooled on it, clay, paint, glue - though never chewing gum; baby gumming on it, toddlers' curious and sticky hands (and babies' curious, usually drooly hands) grabbing it, etc.

As an older teen then adult I avoided most foreseeable things, especially the ones needing to be washed out, by having it tied up, but the mechanical things didn't (mostly) stop until I subconsciously started preferring buns to a braid or ponytail. The music ones were more frequent because I used to wear it either down or in a half-up for concerts. It did actually occur to me at the beginning of one concert that I was so unaccustomed to having my hair down, my brain glitched momentarily when my hair got caught underneath my shoulder rest and it took longer than it should have to work out how to resolve it and prevent it from happening :lol:

Thank goodness for buns and giving up hair elastics so that more wispies grow long enough to graduate to being incorporated into the buns!

I think you’ve covered almost very possible events that could happen with long hair! Some of which I’m bound to experience as my hair gets longer.

My hair is frequently caught in my glasses, especially when I place them on the top of my head. This gives me a light fringe/bangs that was fashionable in the late 80s and early 90s. However, I do think it suits my long face! ;)

Before I was more careful with my hair, it would catch on front zips on my coat and under handbag straps, causing it to rip and tear when releasing. :eek: Now I’m more careful. :)

lakhesis
April 19th, 2021, 09:45 AM
In my country, when we greet each other, we kiss each other on both cheeks. My hair always gets caught in men's beard and now I need to step away for a good half a meter to get it fully out. :lol:

MusicalSpoons
April 19th, 2021, 11:52 AM
And MusicalSpoons - You win! Your hair has sure gone through a LOT over the years!

I think you’ve covered almost very possible events that could happen with long hair! Some of which I’m bound to experience as my hair gets longer.

Haha, yep! I've had long hair since childhood so most of the 'getting stuff in it' is from then. Still took me far too many years to work out that a ponytail mostly kept it out of my face but not out of anything else :doh: 20 years of long hair later, I found LHC and *actual* protective styles :happydance:

Handel'sWig
April 19th, 2021, 11:56 AM

YES, the fine tuner thing. String players know how it is. :violin: Pretty much every time I play with my hair down, it's either that, or the clamps on the shoulder rest, or wound around my bow. One time it got caught in the tip of my bow during a lesson. which was embarrassing, and another time I got a couple strands trapped under my mute. I've had my hairs incorporated into the bow hairs before :lol: . I love a pretty half-up for concerts which is a lot better than just down but I still have to be careful. There's a girl in my orch with TBL hair ( which is bleached, straightened and fried :shudder:) who always wears it down or in a ponytail. I don't know how she stands it.

Bright
April 19th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Taking notes on this thread so I know what to watch out for as my hair grows!

Right now all of my mishaps are glasses-based—the hairdresser who gave me my bangs in November cut them too far on the sides so I've been growing those bits out, but they're right at the hinges of my glasses and get caught just about every time I move my head. I'm crossing my fingers that they get long enough despite the stress to tuck safely behind my ears.

baanoo
April 19th, 2021, 03:57 PM
In my country, when we greet each other, we kiss each other on both cheeks. My hair always gets caught in men's beard and now I need to step away for a good half a meter to get it fully out. :lol:
I have been in this movie so many times.

C_Bookworm
April 19th, 2021, 04:06 PM
My husband once closed the moonroof on quite a few strands of hair. Now he’s downright paranoid about it. It’s cute :crush:

I have a tendency to get food in my hair and only realize it after the fact when strands are randomly stuck together. I always remember to tie my hair back when cooking, but have a much harder time remembering when I’m eating.

baanoo
April 19th, 2021, 06:27 PM
I managed to tangle my hair in the hand shower tonight. :sigh:

Kibrah
April 19th, 2021, 11:16 PM

Oh wow, I think you have covered almost everything.

erebus
April 20th, 2021, 03:52 AM
Not hair specifically, but I once had a comb lying on a bathroom shelf with the handle sticking out halfway over the edge. I don't remember exactly what I was doing, but at some point I moved my hand in a downward motion and it accidentally hit the comb handle, sending it flying/spinning through the air. The toilet seat wasn't down, and comically the comb landed perfectly inside the toilet bowl. It was clean so it wasn't an issue but it felt quite ridiculous.

When I was a little kid I once set my hair on fire and didn't even notice, until someone lifted me up and put my head in the sink while shouting.

fieldsofflowers
April 20th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Once as a kid I put gum in my hair...on purpose. Who knows what I was thinking, but I put it at the nape of my neck into some short bits of hair and then when I couldn't get it out I decided to cut it out since it was at the nape of my neck and it wouldn't be noticeable and I didn't want to use peanut butter or anything and have my parents find out since I had intentionally put gum in my hair. Well long story short, somehow (and to this day I don't understand how) a piece of hair from the top of the back of my head ended up getting cut as well, so my parents ended up finding out anyways haha. They didn't care, but they did tell me to use peanut butter next time.

BuddhaBelle
April 20th, 2021, 10:00 AM

WHAT did you do??? Did you have to wash it out??

MusicalSpoons that is amazing everything you could have experienced you have :lol:

Feral_
April 20th, 2021, 12:32 PM
WHAT did you do??? Did you have to wash it out??

BuddhaBelle, I have a kennel cleaner / disinfectant that I use for my dogs' kennel and for general cleaning. So I diluted some and washed my tassel end with it - it smells so lush of bubblegum lol - then applied my DIY hair salve to put some moisture back. It was fine!

Dung Beetle
April 20th, 2021, 01:27 PM
One I haven’t seen mentioned yet: Once when I was a teenager blow-drying my hair, a lock of it somehow got sucked into the back of the dryer and twisted round and round. I started crying right away because I’d just grown out a short cut, but my mom came and somehow got the dryer to let go of my head. After that, I was careful to hold the dryer far away.

Ylva
April 20th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Just happened:

I put my braids inside my shirt to clean the bathroom floor. As I was scrubbing, I suddenly felt something wet flop against my elbow. It was my braid end which had escaped through the sleeve of my t-shirt, now wiping the floor with me. I rinsed off the bathroom detergent and reapplied some leave-in cream. :lol:

baanoo
April 20th, 2021, 03:49 PM
One I haven’t seen mentioned yet: Once when I was a teenager blow-drying my hair, a lock of it somehow got sucked into the back of the dryer and twisted round and round. I started crying right away because I’d just grown out a short cut, but my mom came and somehow got the dryer to let go of my head. After that, I was careful to hold the dryer far away.

oh my god I was in a hotel once with one of those accursed attached-to-the-wall hair dryers and when getting ready for a WEDDING it attacked my hair! thankfully it was underlayers at the nape but holy terrifying smokes I honestly don't know what happened.

bokeh
April 20th, 2021, 08:53 PM
I didn't think I had a story to tell but suddenly I remembered the time my hair caught on fire! I was having dinner with my boys when they were quite young and they had requested that I light a candle that they had made and put it on the table. After reaching across the table to help one of the boys I suddenly realized that there were flames on the back of my sweater and in my (very short at that time) hair. The boys were yelling "stop, drop, roll!" which I did and surprisingly there wasn't much damage to either my sweater or hair but the kitchen reeked of burnt hair. Shortly after my husband came home and smelling the burnt hair asked doubtfully what was for dinner, lol.

JasminxCat
April 20th, 2021, 09:13 PM
My hair falls in the trash sometimes when I go to empty it. And sometimes the hot ash from my smoke gets on my hair and I have to quickly brush it away

Kibrah
April 21st, 2021, 12:06 AM
My hair falls in the trash sometimes when I go to empty it. And sometimes the hot ash from my smoke gets on my hair and I have to quickly brush it away

I too have had the hot ash happen. What's worse is when you go to light your smoke and a little gust pops up right at that moment, and your lighter is wind proof, and the short pieces have worked their way loose from you braid.

JasminxCat
April 21st, 2021, 12:32 AM
I too have had the hot ash happen. What's worse is when you go to light your smoke and a little gust pops up right at that moment, and your lighter is wind proof, and the short pieces have worked their way loose from you braid.

Thats happened to me too. Way too many times lol

Jools69
April 21st, 2021, 01:51 AM
Thanks for all these stories, although I’m mindful at the time it probably wasn’t funny.

I’ve just remembered another mishap I had over 20 years ago. I was in the shower washing my hair and thought I had grabbed what I thought was a preshampoo treatment. It was actually a tiny bottle of superglue!:agape: I had left it in the en suite and picked it up to use without wearing my glasses. Luckily, I washed most of it out, leaving little bits here and there that I managed to comb out when dry, probably causing breakage. shudder:

Jo Ann
April 21st, 2021, 02:44 AM

THIS was why I stopped using a blow dryer in the first place! My hair always got sucked into the air intake :confused:

Shorty89
April 21st, 2021, 08:22 AM

Scary! I never had that but I did get my hair caught in one of those round brushes when I was younger. My mom had to cut it out. :(

Just happened:

I put my braids inside my shirt to clean the bathroom floor. As I was scrubbing, I suddenly felt something wet flop against my elbow. It was my braid end which had escaped through the sleeve of my t-shirt, now wiping the floor with me. I rinsed off the bathroom detergent and reapplied some leave-in cream. :lol:

Oh no! I always worry about that if I clean the toilet with my hair in a braid.

Kibrah
June 11th, 2021, 03:40 PM
I need to remember next time I am hand grinding wheat berries for flour to wear a bun NOT a ponytail. Some how some hair got stuck behind the bolt that holds the handle on. I'm now missing those hairs and have a stinging scalp. It wasn't to many thank goodness, but enough to hurt. I should know better. I rarely wear a ponytail anymore. I guess I needed a reminder on why.

MusicalSpoons
June 11th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Ugh, a new one for me. Measured my head circumference and ended up with the tape measure stuck, pulled a few hairs out before I even realised what had happened :doh:

sipnsun
June 12th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Definitely more of a mishap but hopefully I'll be able to laugh about it once the pain is gone and my hair re-grows... this will be long so please bear with me while I set up the scene.

I'm really into houseplants and have about 150 currently. We are always trying to find clever ways to display them and keep them from taking over the house. My husband hung a cute, antique ladder in my kitchen by the bay window and I have about 20 plants hanging from chains with hooks. My ceilings are very tall so I have to climb on a step ladder to take them down and carry them to the sink to water and yesterday was that day. The day before I went to the eye doctor and got mono vision contacts (one eye for close, one eye for distance). They are making me dizzy so I'm wearing them around the house trying to adapt before driving or going out in them. Welllll, I was on the ladder removing the last plant and one of the hooks got caught in my hair which was pulled back in a tight spock bun. The hooks are medium sized so it had a nice chunk of hair. I had a plant in one hand and reached up to remove the hook from my hair and lost my balance. I was literally hanging by my hair for a few seconds, and I heard a horrible sound (my hair breaking) and was able to grab the ladder and get my footing. It was very painful, I honestly though I had ripped my scalp open. Several follicles bled and I lost a gob of hair, probably the equivalent of six months of shed hairs. I had to ice my scalp because it was so swollen and painful but thankfully it's feeling little better today. From now on, I will put on a buff or satin sleep cap when working around these hooks.

Lesson learned!

Kibrah
June 12th, 2021, 10:04 AM
Definitely more of a mishap but hopefully I'll be able to laugh about it once the pain is gone and my hair re-grows... this will be long so please bear with me while I set up the scene.

I'm really into houseplants and have about 150 currently. We are always trying to find clever ways to display them and keep them from taking over the house. My husband hung a cute, antique ladder in my kitchen by the bay window and I have about 20 plants hanging from chains with hooks. My ceilings are very tall so I have to climb on a step ladder to take them down and carry them to the sink to water and yesterday was that day. The day before I went to the eye doctor and got mono vision contacts (one eye for close, one eye for distance). They are making me dizzy so I'm wearing them around the house trying to adapt before driving or going out in them. Welllll, I was on the ladder removing the last plant and one of the hooks got caught in my hair which was pulled back in a tight spock bun. The hooks are medium sized so it had a nice chunk of hair. I had a plant in one hand and reached up to remove the hook from my hair and lost my balance. I was literally hanging by my hair for a few seconds, and I heard a horrible sound (my hair breaking) and was able to grab the ladder and get my footing. It was very painful, I honestly though I had ripped my scalp open. Several follicles bled and I lost a gob of hair, probably the equivalent of six months of shed hairs. I had to ice my scalp because it was so swollen and painful but thankfully it's feeling little better today. From now on, I will put on a buff or satin sleep cap when working around these hooks.

Lesson learned!
Oh my! That sounds very painful. I hope you are feeling better.

sipnsun
June 12th, 2021, 10:10 AM
Oh my! That sounds very painful. I hope you are feeling better.

Thanks so much Kibrah, it's still a tender but a big improvement from yesterday. Today I'm just bummed about the wad of hair I lost.

Kibrah
June 12th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Thanks so much Kibrah, it's still a tender but a big improvement from yesterday. Today I'm just bummed about the wad of hair I lost.
I totally understand that. I'm not happy about the amount I lost in mishap and it was only about as much as I'd shed on a wash day, yours sounds much worse.

foreveryours
June 12th, 2021, 10:16 AM
W.ow that hurts even reading. +1 on the buff. When working around grabby things any exposed hair makes you vulnerable. I'm glad your injury was not more serious and that hindsight is now foresight

ZoeZ
June 12th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Oh my goodness sipnsun! I hope that heals quickly- it could have been a very serious injury, I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Shorty89
June 12th, 2021, 05:55 PM
I need to remember next time I am hand grinding wheat berries for flour to wear a bun NOT a ponytail. Some how some hair got stuck behind the bolt that holds the handle on. I'm now missing those hairs and have a stinging scalp. It wasn't to many thank goodness, but enough to hurt. I should know better. I rarely wear a ponytail anymore. I guess I needed a reminder on why.

Ouch!!

Ugh, a new one for me. Measured my head circumference and ended up with the tape measure stuck, pulled a few hairs out before I even realised what had happened :doh:

I've done that!

JasminxCat
June 12th, 2021, 05:59 PM
I once got baby crap in my hair when bending over to change my son's diaper. It's not long enough for that to happen now. But yeah, pretty gross

Kat
June 12th, 2021, 07:13 PM
I think I've probably had the end of my braid fall into the litterbox before (now it gets tucked down the back of my shirt). "Braid falling in front of my shoulder when I bend over" is the bane of my existence... it falls into whatever it is I'm bending over (litter box to clean it, cleaning buckets, sink, etc.), flops in the way of my line of sight as I'm trying to tie my shoes, etc.

Weemomma
June 12th, 2021, 08:14 PM
I've tried buns, hats, and scarves to keep hair protected but, I always seem to get caught in my rose bushes. My daughter usually has to come to the rescue because I just make it worse.

Jools69
June 13th, 2021, 12:22 AM

Lesson learned!
Ouch. That sounds very painful and I hope your scalp recovers soon. A good idea to use a sleep cap to prevent it from happening again.

0xalis
June 13th, 2021, 12:59 AM
I think I've probably had the end of my braid fall into the litterbox before (now it gets tucked down the back of my shirt). "Braid falling in front of my shoulder when I bend over" is the bane of my existence... it falls into whatever it is I'm bending over (litter box to clean it, cleaning buckets, sink, etc.), flops in the way of my line of sight as I'm trying to tie my shoes, etc.

Always keep a claw clip handy before these messy jobs, that way you can quickly throw the braid up real quick!!! I have to do that for my ponytails and my hair isn't even that long yet!! It still manages to get into EVERYTHING shudder:

Bluecardigan
June 13th, 2021, 06:28 AM
I have accidently spit on my braid tassel a couple of times (when spitting out toothpaste or mouthwash) because the braid suddenly has fallen forward in the way of the sink at the exact wrong second, haha.

Kat
June 13th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Always keep a claw clip handy before these messy jobs, that way you can quickly throw the braid up real quick!!! I have to do that for my ponytails and my hair isn't even that long yet!! It still manages to get into EVERYTHING shudder:

I tend to toss it up into a quick bun with a hairstick if needing it out of the way for a significant amount of time or I don't want to tuck it down the back of my shirt. Sometimes, depending on what I'm doing, I can feel it starting to slip from my back and straighten up real quick to keep it from falling.

I have accidently spit on my braid tassel a couple of times (when spitting out toothpaste or mouthwash) because the braid suddenly has fallen forward in the way of the sink at the exact wrong second, haha.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that one...

ZoeZ
June 13th, 2021, 03:18 PM

Every. Single. Day. :)

Alexandrina
June 14th, 2021, 12:27 AM

Lesson learned!

Oh my, this is so scary! Hope your head starts healing soon.

Alexandrina
June 14th, 2021, 12:28 AM
I once got baby crap in my hair when bending over to change my son's diaper. It's not long enough for that to happen now. But yeah, pretty gross

ick and double ick!! Thanks for the warning, I will be super careful around babies if I am ever watching any in the future, lol.

Alexandrina
June 14th, 2021, 12:29 AM
I've tried buns, hats, and scarves to keep hair protected but, I always seem to get caught in my rose bushes. My daughter usually has to come to the rescue because I just make it worse.

hmmm they just want to be worn in your hair I bet!

FrayedFire
June 14th, 2021, 01:55 AM
Hair in wet cat food. Bleaurgh!

Bat
June 14th, 2021, 02:05 AM

Lesson learned!

oh no ouch! i'm glad you are feeling a little better, but how awful D:

Ylva
June 15th, 2021, 11:50 AM
My goodness, sipnsun! Get well soon! The sound you described reminded me of a time when one of my wolfdogs, Dali, was young and a bit hot-headed. I was outing with the pack with my hair in a braid, and the braid was hanging outside of my t-shirt. I was doing something on ground level, and Dali quickly grabbed my braid and pulled it. I also thought I had lost basically all of my hair, the sound was so horrendous, but surprisingly, I don't think I lost much at all. Since then, I've always tucked my braid under my shirt when I'm out with the doggos!

paulownia
June 15th, 2021, 01:58 PM
I have those small plastic wall hangers in my bathroom :D and a while ago they started to get loose and were falling on the floor with the towels. I asked my boyfriend to fix them with some strong glue... He did well, but one of my hairs got stuck there- like for eternity :whistle:
https://i.postimg.cc/pL8NRCmF/20210615-211909.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Hexen
June 15th, 2021, 06:02 PM
I lean down too close to desktop and floor fans and stuff.
A couple of times in the past I didnt react quickly enough. And I ended up kissing the fan.

Kat
June 17th, 2021, 11:05 PM
A couple of times in the past I didnt react quickly enough. And I ended up kissing the fan.

I tend to put a fan in my bedroom doorway pointing down the hall, so the fresh air coming in through the bedroom windows gets into the hallway. Every time I walk past the fan (because it is in the doorway I have to squeeeeeeze past it in close proximity) I am verrrrrrry careful about where my hair is... (Especially since I am a klutz, and part of this is having the tendency to get caught on anything it's possible to get caught on, no matter how unlikely, and that would probably extend to my hair flopping into fans.)

Kibrah
June 18th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Ouch, that does not sound pleasant.

sipnsun
June 19th, 2021, 03:45 PM
My goodness, sipnsun! Get well soon! The sound you described reminded me of a time when one of my wolfdogs, Dali, was young and a bit hot-headed. I was outing with the pack with my hair in a braid, and the braid was hanging outside of my t-shirt. I was doing something on ground level, and Dali quickly grabbed my braid and pulled it. I also thought I had lost basically all of my hair, the sound was so horrendous, but surprisingly, I don't think I lost much at all. Since then, I've always tucked my braid under my shirt when I'm out with the doggos!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm much better now and happy to report there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage. Ylva, it sounds like you have felt my pain (and fear) as well! I've been doing some remodeling using a rotary sander this week and you better believe it is wrapped up tight and covered with a buff. No more scary accidents hopefully!

Hellebore
June 20th, 2021, 09:26 AM
I feel like I've mentioned this in another thread, but when I first grew my hair long (about eight years ago) I was leaning over a candle, and a rogue lock of hair fell forward and caught on fire. It made a horrific pop-and-crackle sound and then was quickly snuffed out. The smell that followed was disgusting - I had never actually smelled burnt hair before.

Lesson learned: hair bunned far, far away when dealing with candles.

sipnsun
June 23rd, 2021, 03:21 PM
I feel like I've mentioned this in another thread, but when I first grew my hair long (about eight years ago) I was leaning over a candle, and a rogue lock of hair fell forward and caught on fire. It made a horrific pop-and-crackle sound and then was quickly snuffed out. The smell that followed was disgusting - I had never actually smelled burnt hair before.

Lesson learned: hair bunned far, far away when dealing with candles.

Hellebore, that smell is the worst! We lost power during a bad storm several years ago and I was stumbling around in the dark trying to light candles. My husband found his phone and turned on the light as I was lighting the first one and I said "what's that awful smell?" He said very calmly, "I think you lit your hair." It was only a tiny bit but now I'm very careful if it's down and I'm near a candle or the grill!

Shorty89
June 27th, 2021, 01:56 AM
Hellebore, that smell is the worst! We lost power during a bad storm several years ago and I was stumbling around in the dark trying to light candles. My husband found his phone and turned on the light as I was lighting the first one and I said "what's that awful smell?" He said very calmly, "I think you lit your hair." It was only a tiny bit but now I'm very careful if it's down and I'm near a candle or the grill!

Oh no! Burnt hair really does smell terrible. Fortunately, I found this out without burning my hair - well sort of. When I was a kid (while camping), I decided to brush my hair then clean out my brush and put the shed hair in the fire because it was flammable. It was flammable bit the smell was awful!

Shorty89
February 3rd, 2022, 10:21 AM
It's funny that the last post is me talking about burnt hair. Because, I dealt with that yesterday. I don't know if it qualifies as a hair accident but I'm not sure where else to post it. I frequently get "hairballs" from the dryer - basically a bunch of hair gets wound into a ball in the dryer then falls off clothing somewhere in the house. Yesterday, one of those balls of hair managed to get into the hot oven. It was only about the size of a dime but it burnt up and produced a good amount of smoke and stench. I had to open the window!

Shoshiplatypus
December 13th, 2022, 05:15 PM
I have a wooden overhead airer for the laundry, that is pulled up on pulleys. My hubby's shirt sleeves hang down and the buttons always seem to get caught in my hair as I walk underneath. As I usually wear it in a braid, the button won't pull out so I have to disentangle myself. I hang my bra over the end of one slat, and have learnt that it is best to hang it with the hooks at the top and the eyes at the bottom, or they invariably get tangled in my hair.

I think our 2 kitties suffer from my long hair mishaps more than I do. If I bend down to stroke or kiss one of them, my braid invariably falls down and wacks them in the face!! They are very longsuffering and don't seem to mind.

My favourite kitty Ruby (Lily is my hubby's baby) likes to sit on the back of the settee behind my head sometimes, and if she's feeling affectionate, she will lick the top of my head. It's a strange feeling having one's hair entangled on a cat's tongue.

AllyByrd
December 23rd, 2022, 12:04 PM
The other day I was leaving the room, and got yanked back because my hair had gotten caught on the doorknob!

I’ve also been known to accidentally whack my friends with my braid when moving/dancing or just from turning around too fast, or poke them with hair sticks while hugging.