PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here shed specifically because of liquid shampoo?

Death-Within-Me
April 16th, 2021, 02:23 PM
I'm asking for my mom. She's been shedding all her life ever since she went over to the US and started using liquid shampoo. Back in her native country, shampoo bars were the norm and she did not start her hairloss issues until moving to America and switching over to liquid shampoo.

At first, we thought it was because those shampoos had sulfates and parabens in them so we switched over to shampoo bars that were sulfate and paraben free and her hairloss stopped.
Today, I had her try Maui Moisture (which is both sulfate and paraben free but is a liquid shampoo.) She shed so much...

Now, she vows to only ever use shampoo bars.

Chromis
April 16th, 2021, 04:17 PM
I shed much less with shampoo bars personally and have been using them for well over a decade now.

Is it Bồ Kết shampoo she was using previously? (Honey locust in English)

Death-Within-Me
April 16th, 2021, 04:36 PM
I shed much less with shampoo bars personally and have been using them for well over a decade now.

Is it Bồ Kết shampoo she was using previously? (Honey locust in English)

Actually my mom's pretty outspoken against Bồ Kết shampoo because a good majority of them are heavily commercially manufactured. She says that Bồ Kết is best used organically. I hope that didn't sound too stuck up haha.

But no, she doesn't use that. She doesn't remember which shampoo bar she used back in Vietnam, but it did the job and didn't make her shed. The ones that I ordered for her here off of Etsy also does the job so long as there's no SLS.
But the moment she touches any liquid shampoo, she sheds terribly. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that liquid shampoo is generally thicker in consistency than the bar lather? Her fine hair is super fragile.

Chromis
April 16th, 2021, 04:41 PM
My scalp did not like nonsulphate shampoos either. My skin also does much better with soap-soap and not detergent soap or "bodywash". We do have a large shampoo bar thread which I highly recommend. I'm sure folks would love to know which Etsy bar she likes :D

Ironically, most honey locust shampoos I have seen in the the US and Canada are organic! But I do usually see them as a liquid instead of a bar.

JasminxCat
April 16th, 2021, 06:39 PM
Sounds like I need to try out shampoo bars

Death-Within-Me
April 16th, 2021, 08:34 PM

You should try it at least once in your life. Seems like for many, they're game changers.

For me, I have tried and currently using both cause...Variety. Plus liquid shampoos - some just smell too good for me to give up (looking at you Herbal Essences, Maui Moisture, Not Your Mother's and VO5 lol.)

lapushka
April 17th, 2021, 11:22 AM

You should try it at least once in your life. Seems like for many, they're game changers.

For me, I have tried and currently using both cause...Variety. Plus liquid shampoos - some just smell too good for me to give up (looking at you Herbal Essences, Maui Moisture, Not Your Mother's and VO5 lol.)

I agree with, at least, trying it out one time. You might like it!

Other than that, I did try, but it's not for me. And no, I for sure did not shed less, about the same!

Bri-Chan
April 17th, 2021, 11:26 AM
I used a shampoo bar a lot few times ago and I didn't notice any difference in shedding.

Finda
April 17th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Could it be a difference in how the hair is handled? I used soap bars for a while and that really taughed me how to handle my hair in a way that tangles didn't form in the first place, so I had a lot less breakage all of a sudden.

Death-Within-Me
April 17th, 2021, 01:23 PM
Could it be a difference in how the hair is handled? I used soap bars for a while and that really taughed me how to handle my hair in a way that tangles didn't form in the first place, so I had a lot less breakage all of a sudden.

I wish we could blame it on how she handled her hair, but she's always super gentle and careful. The shedding yesterday was massive. Usually, she loses around 1-4 hairs per wash.
The shedding yesterday was over 32 hairs.

This may not sound like much compared to everyone else here, but for her, that's a lot because her hair is already naturally fine and thin in density.

spidermom
April 17th, 2021, 02:56 PM
I'm not saying it isn't true, but I can't imagine any mechanism that would make this possible. Shedding is part of a very specific cycle that includes the hair root shrinking. I just don't know how the suds of liquid shampoo would make the roots suddenly shrink and the hairs jump from the scalp outside of the normal cycle.

One of life's mysteries, I guess.

Death-Within-Me
April 17th, 2021, 04:50 PM
I'm not saying it isn't true, but I can't imagine any mechanism that would make this possible. Shedding is part of a very specific cycle that includes the hair root shrinking. I just don't know how the suds of liquid shampoo would make the roots suddenly shrink and the hairs jump from the scalp outside of the normal cycle.

One of life's mysteries, I guess.

Yes, well there we have it.
It only happens to her when she uses liquid shampoo. I don't get the mechanisms either.

spidermom
April 17th, 2021, 08:10 PM
Maybe liquid shampoo has ingredients that allow naturally shed hairs to easily slip away from the rest of the hair, and bar shampoo does not?

Totally a guess on my part as I have no idea.

lapushka
April 18th, 2021, 04:45 AM
How's the days afterwards?

From wash to wash, I mean?

Because if she loses more hair between washes with the bar (hairs that have not slipped out as per spidermom's suggestion), and the liquid makes them come out in "one go", and then there's less to no shedding wash to wash, then it's about the same right?

And that might explain things!

But you have to really keep track of the hair you lose after that. And maybe she doesn't do that. So it could very well just give a false image.

Take me for instance. I lose a lot of hair during the wash, but then the day after my wash, I lose maybe a couple hairs in the evening, if any at all! Because a lot of the time, 0 comes out. A liquid is very great at getting it all out, but then the days after that? Yeah, you can tell nothing much comes out anymore.

pili
April 18th, 2021, 09:39 AM
This has been my experience. I've gone back and forth between liquid shampoo (SLS and Sulfate-free) and shampoo bars. I definitely shed less with shampoo bars. With my curly hair I only detangle/brush wet in the shower. I now also use a conditioner bar. The difference is astounding. I have lost a lot of hair at my temples, and it finally became ver noticeable. I am now exclusively using shampoo/conditioner bars (old-fashioned, natural ones. not syndet). I am experiencing some regrowth now that I don't switch back and forth. Unfortunately, it took loosing enough hair for me to cut back from TBL to BSL to make me give up any kind of "curly" routine and just figure out what worked for me.

Also, HI EVERYONE!!!! It's been a while.

lapushka
April 18th, 2021, 10:32 AM
This has been my experience. I've gone back and forth between liquid shampoo (SLS and Sulfate-free) and shampoo bars. I definitely shed less with shampoo bars. With my curly hair I only detangle/brush wet in the shower. I now also use a conditioner bar. The difference is astounding. I have lost a lot of hair at my temples, and it finally became ver noticeable. I am now exclusively using shampoo/conditioner bars (old-fashioned, natural ones. not syndet). I am experiencing some regrowth now that I don't switch back and forth. Unfortunately, it took loosing enough hair for me to cut back from TBL to BSL to make me give up any kind of "curly" routine and just figure out what worked for me.

Hey you! :D :waving:

Death-Within-Me
April 18th, 2021, 11:30 AM
How's the days afterwards?

From wash to wash, I mean?

When she used liquid shampoos for years, she experienced an abnormal amount of hairloss during the wash and the days after the wash. She developed bald spots and we had to see a dermatologist. The derm alluded to her age and just genetics. Gave her minoxidil and other hairloss shampoos.
It made it so much worse. We thought it was part of the process of regrowth, but nope. It truly just made it worst.

We were about to give up until I decided to give her a shampoo bar to try. For over two months, she only lost 1-4 strands max during the wash and the days after the wash. We finally found a cure and I thought it was due to no SLS in the bars.
So I decided to give her liquid shampoos without SLS to try and boom. Hairloss is back during the wash and a few hours after the wash. Since two days ago, my mom's been too scared to wash her hair again. But the hairloss thankfully decreased.

But you have to really keep track of the hair you lose after that. And maybe she doesn't do that. So it could very well just give a false image.

We always count the hairs every time we comb/brush/wash it.

I think she just has very weak hair follicles or something. But apparently, her holy grail are now shampoo bars. :shrug:

Death-Within-Me
April 18th, 2021, 11:33 AM

Hi! Thanks for providing your experience. Looks like my mom's not the only one.

Ever since using shampoo bars, she's experienced regrowth in places she thought were forever bald. It felt like a miracle honestly. This topic and experience gets her very anxious and emotional. It's not just hair after all and she was resigned to being partially bald and weak/thinning hair for the rest of her life.

pili
April 18th, 2021, 11:49 AM
Hi! Thanks for providing your experience. Looks like my mom's not the only one.

Ever since using shampoo bars, she's experienced regrowth in places she thought were forever bald. It felt like a miracle honestly. This topic and experience gets her very anxious and emotional. It's not just hair after all and she was resigned to being partially bald and weak/thinning hair for the rest of her life.

It is very emotional. I also thought it was age, but now I think it has everything to do with a sensitivity to synthetic ingredients. I have had to stop using gels and leave in for styling too. Now I use a bit of oil or shea butter with an occasional herbal rinse.
It's taken me a long time to just accept that my scalp cannot handle anything synthetic. I'm basically restarting my hair journey.

Hopefully, now that you've isolated the issue, she will get some thickness back.

Flossiebell
April 18th, 2021, 03:56 PM
Hi
I use a shampoo bar and occasionally liquid shampoo. I definitely shed more with liquid. I also cannot use moisturising shampoos or anything containing oils or butters on my scalp because that makes my hair shed loads too, including essential oils. Volumising shampoo bar works best for me and I use a good moisturising conditioner afterwards.

lapushka
April 18th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Maybe there is something in the liquids vs. bars that she is allergic to. Are they syndets or real soap bars, I assume syndets since you mentioned sulfate-free but I could be just assuming wrongly.

Death-Within-Me
April 18th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Maybe there is something in the liquids vs. bars that she is allergic to. Are they syndets or real soap bars, I assume syndets since you mentioned sulfate-free but I could be just assuming wrongly.

I'm actually starting to think some ingredients from the Maui Moisture line has things in it that we can't stand.
I used the Coconut Curl Quench shampoo and the Awapuhi conditioner again today on my hair. It worked the first time for me and I didn't shed much. Today was a different story altogether. I definitely shed a lot more and that's with keeping track of my hairfall today before the wash.

Looking up the reviews, some people are experiencing the same issues so I'll just keep the bottles around as a body wash instead.

The shampoo bar that currently works best for my mom is the Trader Joe's shampoo bar and The Country Escape Lavendar bar. Good stuff.

http://thecountryescape.net/handcrafted-soaps/shampoo-bars

These worked great for us.

GordonMurphella
April 19th, 2021, 04:10 AM
Maybe an allergy test if there is such concern? Guessing doesn't really work for allergies. Sensitivities, sometimes. Allergies, not. Ask me how I know :) All hair is going to shed, and nobody is going to shed the same. Most of us overthink here, to a degree, if we're honest.

Good luck, and think about a test. Truly.

pili
April 21st, 2021, 03:07 PM
I'm actually starting to think some ingredients from the Maui Moisture line has things in it that we can't stand.
I used the Coconut Curl Quench shampoo and the Awapuhi conditioner again today on my hair. It worked the first time for me and I didn't shed much. Today was a different story altogether. I definitely shed a lot more and that's with keeping track of my hairfall today before the wash.

Looking up the reviews, some people are experiencing the same issues so I'll just keep the bottles around as a body wash instead.

The shampoo bar that currently works best for my mom is the Trader Joe's shampoo bar and The Country Escape Lavendar bar. Good stuff.

http://thecountryescape.net/handcrafted-soaps/shampoo-bars

These worked great for us.
Not sure about the Country Escape bar, but the TJ bar is a syndet.

Death-Within-Me
April 21st, 2021, 04:54 PM
Not sure about the Country Escape bar, but the TJ bar is a syndet.

Whaaaat? Glad you told me this because ever since my mom went back to the TJ bar, the miracle ended and she started loosing hair again. Going to tell her to stop it now.

lapushka
April 21st, 2021, 05:12 PM
Whaaaat? Glad you told me this because ever since my mom went back to the TJ bar, the miracle ended and she started loosing hair again. Going to tell her to stop it now.

And only a couple posts upthread you're actually raving about it. :?:

Death-Within-Me
April 21st, 2021, 06:27 PM
And only a couple posts upthread you're actually raving about it. :?:

I'm in a confusing situation. It was working for one person (my mom.) After the Maui Moisture, she used the TJ bar again and still lost hair but not as much/ I suggested the bar to my aunt and it did not work for her at all. Her hairloss issues are still happening.
I, myself, only used it once and it was alright.

The Country Escape Lavendar bar is the most consistent bar that works and I think I was raving more for that bar.

Anyway, having talked to her just now, she still wants to continue the TJ bar again to see how it goes.