PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else experience this?

valeriamorales
April 7th, 2021, 01:24 PM
Usually when i scratch my scalp (i know i probably shouldn't do this) there is a white residue on my finger nails. Can anyone explain what it could be and if you experience this too:D

shelomit
April 7th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Presumably it's some combination of sebum and dead/shedding skin cells. Perfectly normal. If you're experiencing scalp irritation you might want to try shampooing more regularly or using a harsher shampoo, but if it isn't bothering you, there's no reason to bother it ( ;

MusicalSpoons
April 7th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Presumably it's some combination of sebum and dead/shedding skin cells. Perfectly normal. If you're experiencing scalp irritation you might want to try shampooing more regularly or using a harsher shampoo, but if it isn't bothering you, there's no reason to bother it ( ;

Yes this. I experience it too.

Dark40
April 7th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Yes, I also experience this as well. It could be sebum and a combination of dandruff. Or, white flakes coming from the scalp. When I experience that I use a dandruff shampoo. Like, Head&Shoulders twice a week, and it goes away afterwards. I'm not sure if you can use that. Because, a lot of people on here don't like Head&Shoulders. Or, they're allergic to it. But I love it! I don't have any problems with it.

valeriamorales
April 8th, 2021, 07:12 PM
I also suspect it could be build-up like from product but I'm not sure.

shelomit
April 9th, 2021, 12:45 AM
I also suspect it could be build-up like from product but I'm not sure.

Hmm, that's possible, although in my own experience it's easier to get build-up on the hairs per se than on the scalp. Is the residue something that you've only recently noticed, or has it always been there when you've scratched your scalp?

curlqueenjadine
April 9th, 2021, 03:29 AM
Yep I get this! Especially since stretching time between washes x

squirrrel
April 9th, 2021, 03:34 AM

Exactly. For those of us who do no water hair care, scritching this off (very gentle scratching) is part of the hair care routine. You don’t want to let it get too thick as the build up isn’t good for your hair follicles, but it’s fine as long as you remove it. As long as it is white it makes a great leave in conditioner.

lapushka
April 9th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Usually when i scratch my scalp (i know i probably shouldn't do this) there is a white residue on my finger nails. Can anyone explain what it could be and if you experience this too:D

Combination of many things: dead skin, sebum/oil, and possible product build-up depending on when you scratch. If it's right after a wash, for me I get nothing. The longer the days go throughout the week, the more that happens.

Perfectly normal.

If you don't like it, it's easily solved by shampooing more.

pisinoe
April 9th, 2021, 09:10 AM
I think I’m having this right now because I’m not using my anti-fungal shampoos (ran out of all of them). It’s little creamy balls and ugh I’m disgusted by it but I try to take as much of the build up out of my scalp with my nails as I can (done geeeeeently). I can’t wait to go back to my good shampoos.

spidermom
April 9th, 2021, 02:23 PM
I get this especially after sweating and letting it dry without rinsing.

lapushka
April 9th, 2021, 03:31 PM
I think I’m having this right now because I’m not using my anti-fungal shampoos (ran out of all of them). It’s little creamy balls and ugh I’m disgusted by it but I try to take as much of the build up out of my scalp with my nails as I can (done geeeeeently). I can’t wait to go back to my good shampoos.

I wouldn't. You can hurt your scalp with your nails, even if you are being gentle. You know when it's said never to use your nails when shampooing, only the pads of the fingers? Same thing. A fine-tooth comb will be much better.

0xalis
April 9th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Aaaaaall the time lol! Don't worry it's totally normal, especially if it's been a couple days or more since the last wash.

JasminxCat
April 9th, 2021, 05:04 PM
I get that too, but rarely. I wash too often for it to happen I guess. But it can start to be an accumulation of build up that I would use an exfoliating scalp scrub for if clarifying doesn't fix it