PDA

View Full Version : Toners - help?

Primrose14
April 6th, 2021, 11:23 PM
Hello,

I'm fairly new to this and have a couple of (probably dumb) questions about toners.

After bleaching, will toners always fade out? I've been reading about toners and I've seen that they usually only last from 6 to 8 weeks. However, I don't see a lot of people getting their hair re-toned that often after getting their hair done. Let's say a brunette gets highlights or balayage done and it's a caramel color. Surely enough that caramel color will stay like that and won't turn yellow, right? So how come it says everywhere that toners eventually go away? I understand that there are semi, demi and permanent toners.

My hair stylist made my hair way too light for me and I miss the deeper, golden blonde hair that I used to have (which I managed to get at home and did not require a toner). I went to a different hair dresser and she used a semi permanent color but it went away so so fast. I was disappointed as I don't want to have to pay 100€ every month to fix the other hair stylist mistake. Is there a way to make the darker golden tone on my hair permanent?

I'm also considering going to a different salon and getting the same golden blonde I had "higher" as my hair has grown out a lot, so I would need to bleach it and not just tone the lighter parts that I don't like. But I'm worried that I'll have to keep going to the salon that often to get it toned again and mantain the new golden blonde tone.

I'm probably confusing a lot of terms but I'd like to understand how it works. I used to get my hair a lighter tone than my natural color at home without bleaching it and it looked amazing and I loved it. It took me years to go to a hair stylist and she did a balayage on me that I didn't want and now my hair is a blonde color that I don't like (plus it's too light). I got it fixed and it didn't last at all, it feels like I threw my money away. Is there a way to make it a permanent golden blonde other than dying it? I'm also considering going to a new hair stylist as my hair is starting to grow out a lot, but I don't know if I'll be able to get that same golden blonde permanently on my virgin hair or if I'll have to keep going every 6 weeks to mantain it.

I'm so frustrated because I LOVED my hair, I never went to a hair stylist ever and after going to one it's been nothing but problems for me. Any advice is appreciated

paulownia
April 7th, 2021, 02:08 AM
I'm not sure if it's a rule set in stone;) ( I gues it all depends on the hair condition and the after - coloring care) but it seems that hair that has been bleached tends to loose colours faster - open cuticle and that stuff.
You don't need to go to hair salon to tone your hair, there is plenty of toners you can use at home ( I am pretty pleased with the results I got from Goldwell Colorance). The risk is however that the colour will fade quickly.
Have you considered plant dyes?

Primrose14
April 8th, 2021, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm honestly looking into everything, maybe I'll try an ammonia free semi-permanent color at home. What's the name of the Goldwell Colorance product you use?

Jo Ann
April 8th, 2021, 09:54 PM
All toners fade over time. Different factors, such as shampoos, can affect how long the toner will last. For example, anti-dandruff or clarifying shampoos will fade toners much faster than, say, sulfate-free shampoos. Also, other things such as hair spray, hair gels containing alcohol and hot oil treatments will affect the longevity of a toner.

I know that, with semi-permanent hair dye, if you mix a bit of the dye with your conditioner (use gloves) when you wash your hair, that can help prolong the color. Color-safe/color protecting shampoos should help prolong the color of a longer lasting toner, such as a demi or permanent color.

paulownia
April 9th, 2021, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm honestly looking into everything, maybe I'll try an ammonia free semi-permanent color at home. What's the name of the Goldwell Colorance product you use?
I used Goldwell Colorance ph 6,8.
https://lyko.com/sv/goldwell/goldwell-ph-68-intensivtoning-5n-ljusbrun?gclid=CjwKCAjw9r-DBhBxEiwA9qYUpWD4TZjlhQsAsOegB0YOcywhyn7hWq5cSTubB bgUkF_eYJ4DPS4wYxoCUooQAvD_BwE