PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Brush Massager

FrayedFire
April 6th, 2021, 04:37 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61aQt6lRLvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was given this as a gift and oh wow is it great! I felt a little bad at first because I got it right around the time I decided to have one foot in WO and one foot in SO, but it's been lovely every time I've used it, even without product, both wet and dry. And it feels eye-rollingly good. I used it last night, especially where my hair felt heavy/wet with sebum on the back of my head, today my hair feels like I washed it!

Highly recommend~

Shorty89
April 6th, 2021, 05:23 PM
I've always worried that those would tangle and rip my hair but I imagine that they feel great.

Brittny
April 6th, 2021, 06:07 PM
I bought one to help with some flakes on my scalp and it is a God send! At first I didn't like it but I got used to it and in the shower it definitely helps with getting a cleaner scalp. :eek:

Feral_
April 7th, 2021, 12:12 AM
Ooo I love a head massage... are the purple tines soft, like rubber / silicone ? Does it make your hair tangled after use?

Lesley8
April 7th, 2021, 01:26 AM
I've just bought one of these from tangle teezer can't wait to try it.

lakhesis
April 7th, 2021, 01:57 AM
I have a couple as I use it in the shower while applying shampoo and also for inversion method and random scalp massages. I will probably pick up the new one from tangle teezer too :)

The silicone ones with bendy bristles are the best, I also have a vibrating one, but I don't think it really makes much difference.
ETA: it doesn't cause more tangles for me

Mariekeeee14
April 7th, 2021, 02:52 AM
I use this for my shampoo and for my cowash. It doesn’t tangle my hair cause I don’t use round motions but I zig zag in the direction from my nose to my neck. It works like a charm

lapushka
April 7th, 2021, 03:57 AM
I am seriously thinking of re-purposing my old compact Tangle Teezer for that job of scritching while sudsing up with shampoo. It might be just a tad too harsh on my skin, for me though. I don't know. Can't but try, right?

Simpscone
April 7th, 2021, 04:27 AM
I got one of these a few weeks ago and I love it! It feels great in the shower for scrubbing in my shampoo. My hair does sometimes get a little tangled if I'm not careful, but I'm starting to get the hang of it!

CurlySpaceGirl
April 7th, 2021, 04:37 AM
I've never tried one before, but suddenly I really want one!! I'm trying to stay away from buying from Amazon, perhaps I'll try and find one on Etsy.

Neorago
April 7th, 2021, 04:37 AM
So how do you use it in the shower? Put the shampoo on your head and use the brush over the scalp to distribute it?

Garnetgem
April 7th, 2021, 04:42 AM
I have a silicone one but i noticed i shed more in the shower with it,maybe the rubber sticks and drags strand's. i now use an old tangle teezer and that appears fine..

as for the silicone one instructions on package states to use in back and forth and not in circles as that's causes tangles.

GrowlingCupcake
April 7th, 2021, 05:36 AM
So how do you use it in the shower? Put the shampoo on your head and use the brush over the scalp to distribute it?

That's how I use it.

If used with deliberate strokes, and some care, it's unlikely to tangle hair.

Neorago
April 7th, 2021, 05:44 AM
That's how I use it.

If used with deliberate strokes, and some care, it's unlikely to tangle hair.
Do you massage the shampoo in first or do you use the brush to do that?

I need to wash my hair twice. It's fine but thick at the scalp and hard to get into. The first wash seems to get rid of the outer oil/dirt and the second wash I can actually get into the scalp to clean it. Yes I've tried diluting my shampoo and I still miss spots. So I was hoping maybe a scalp brush massager would get into my scalp for me.

GrowlingCupcake
April 7th, 2021, 05:51 AM
Do you massage the shampoo in first or do you use the brush to do that?

I need to wash my hair twice. It's fine but thick at the scalp and hard to get into. The first wash seems to get rid of the outer oil/dirt and the second wash I can actually get into the scalp to clean it. Yes I've tried diluting my shampoo and I still miss spots. So I was hoping maybe a scalp brush massager would get into my scalp for me.

I usually massage the shampoo in a bit, especially at the nape. I also make sure to use sufficient water while massaging it in (not diluting the shampoo itself, just making sure there's enough water after it's on my scalp) so it moves smoothly. You could also try adding some shampoo to the brush itself.

You'll probably still have to do the double shampoo but it should help the second wash. I'd give it a shot, especially if you can get one with longer 'bristles'.

ipickee
April 7th, 2021, 06:07 AM
I hope it's ok I link this, if not, I'm sorry mods.
I use this one. And my DD recently stole it, due to it have softer "teeth" than the one she had.
I thought it was kinda a dumb idea, but i really do feel like I get my hair cleaner.
https://www.ulta.com/shampoo-massage-brush?productId=pimprod2015416

Hexana
April 7th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Interesting, apparently I am the only one who didn't like my scalp brush (I had one with silicone bristles). It seemed to tangle between my roots and made it harder to massage the shampoo in. I feel like I do a better job with just my fingers. Also maybe the bristles were too stiff cause I really had to be gentle, otherwise, it hurt my scalp.

valeriamorales
April 7th, 2021, 02:03 PM
I love to use one of these!! Quick question though, how long do you massage your hair with it?

CuteCrow
April 7th, 2021, 04:59 PM
I don't like mine either. I had two, one with harder teeth which I hated because it hurt my scalp, and the one I own at the moment with the soft silicone teeth. I don't like that one much either, I feel like I do a better job at shampooing my hair with my fingers and it also feels like it's breaking my hair even if I'm being as gentle as possible. I think maybe it's because I have really fine hair but I'm also kind of tender headed so it could be that too.

Maybe I'll give it a try as a scalp massager on dry hair and see if I like it that way.

MusicalSpoons
April 7th, 2021, 05:17 PM
I've never tried one before, but suddenly I really want one!! I'm trying to stay away from buying from Amazon, perhaps I'll try and find one on Etsy.

eBay? If you find any on Etsy they'll just be the same mass-produced product anyway, overpriced and sold by a company that shouldn't be on there (because Etsy is supposed to be for handmade or vintage items, or crafting supplies). I share ethical objections to Amazon but somehow these companies who shouldn't be on Etsy make me angrier, because they are being deceptive and overcharging. A lot of them selling the same mass-produced sticks and forks and pins and things are the same as what's sold on eBay and Amazon and Wish/AliExpress (for a lot less) and are undercutting the real artisans.

Actually Wish or AliExpress would sell these too. I know none of these are overly ethical but I doubt you'll get an actual ethically made one, unless the original is anything like the Invisibobble company (I couldn't find anything myself).

To the topic, yes I liked mine (cheap off eBay) but I had to be careful not to tangle my hair and I don't have the energy to hold my arms up long enough. It did work well though and my scalp did always end up cleaner; I wish I had the energy to use it. I think I lathered up my shampoo to start with then used the brush to give it a good, careful scrub.

valeriamorales
April 7th, 2021, 05:39 PM
I don't have the energy to hold my arms up long enough.

I have the same problem I just end up giving up because of this :(

Kat
April 7th, 2021, 06:09 PM
I have something similar. I like it for my seborrheic dermatitis. It doesn't tangle my hair because I don't drag it around my head; I put it in one spot, scritch it around a bit, pick it up, move it over a bit, repeat. I keep thinking I'll try to remember to use it every day to try to prevent buildup, but I always forget.

I do use it in the shower sometimes, but I don't know that I feel like it distributes shampoo any better than just using my fingers. But I do use it to try to get rid of more buildup and I hope (though sorta doubt) it will help get the shampoo down into and under the buildup so it actually reaches my actual scalp (no point in washing the buildup only to hopefully rinse it away and then maybe my scalp is still oily).

FrayedFire
April 7th, 2021, 10:20 PM
Ooo I love a head massage... are the purple tines soft, like rubber / silicone ? Does it make your hair tangled after use?

It does tangle a little bit if I go in circles, but I try to do more straight or zigzaggy strokes to avoid it, the tines are indeed soft and flexible. And it's a looser tangle, if that makes any sense?

I love to use one of these!! Quick question though, how long do you massage your hair with it?

I mean, I spent about 10, maybe 15 minutes doing it last time, just cause it feels so good, but it only takes a few to get all over the scalp.

This thread got busy while I was gone, sorry if I missed anyone who has specific questions that weren't already answered!

FrayedFire
April 2nd, 2022, 01:50 AM
After using this somewhat inconsistently for a year, I would say my favourite way is on dry hair. Feels good~

knobbly
April 2nd, 2022, 02:46 PM
These things are having A Moment on social media right now, yeah? I had one years ago and lost it, and now am finding myself wanting to get one again after late nights on tiktok lol.

I never did try it dry though! That sounds interesting, FrayedFire. I do regularly oil my scalp so I could use it that way as well. Hmm.

FrayedFire
April 2nd, 2022, 05:52 PM
These things are having A Moment on social media right now, yeah? I had one years ago and lost it, and now am finding myself wanting to get one again after late nights on tiktok lol.

I never did try it dry though! That sounds interesting, FrayedFire. I do regularly oil my scalp so I could use it that way as well. Hmm.

Are they? Nice. My algorithms were showing me them about 8? months ago, not recently. I also don't have TikTok, but yeah totally you should get another one. Even if you ever somehow find the old lost one, then you can just dual-wield!

Kat
April 3rd, 2022, 09:03 AM
I've never seen them on social media at all... but then I don't use most social media.