PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to... You know the drill!

LemonadeCandy
March 30th, 2021, 03:47 PM
Hey there, I'm still fairly new so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.

So my last inch of hair or so doesn't feel smooth and nice at all. However, whenever I try to take a close up look, I never find any white dots or split ends or anything. I tried to S&D a few days ago, but I literally couldn't find any splits to cut! My hair is naturally curly/wavy and tends to be frizzy, but with damp braiding its more on the straight/wavy side most of the time.

Do you think that this last inch is just the hair that didn't get smoothened out by braiding it? Or do you think it's some kind of damage? Should I trim that?

Normally I'd just cut the problem area without giving it a second thought, but I just passed shoulder length so recently! :no:

SleepyTangles
March 30th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Hello! Have you tried a deep clarifying wash followed by a moisturizing treatment? Sometimes protein or product build up can make the hair feel like velcro even if healthy...

lapushka
March 30th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Hey there, I'm still fairly new so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.

So my last inch of hair or so doesn't feel smooth and nice at all. However, whenever I try to take a close up look, I never find any white dots or split ends or anything. I tried to S&D a few days ago, but I literally couldn't find any splits to cut! My hair is naturally curly/wavy and tends to be frizzy, but with damp braiding its more on the straight/wavy side most of the time.

Do you think that this last inch is just the hair that didn't get smoothened out by braiding it? Or do you think it's some kind of damage? Should I trim that?

Normally I'd just cut the problem area without giving it a second thought, but I just passed shoulder length so recently! :no:

If you wash with sulfate-free shampoos as a wavy/curly, then when is the last time you have clarify-washed? If you already do this once in a while, maybe it's time to up the times you do this, then? Especially hair that is getting a tiny bit long(er) will often *tell you* by kicking and screaming at the ends that it needs to be clarified, re-set.

Maybe try that first. Any cheap sulfate shampoo will do.

LemonadeCandy
March 31st, 2021, 04:33 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for answering!
I'll list all the things I (don't) do that I think might affect this situation!
I already use a sulfate shampoo; I didn't notice much of a difference when I used sulfate-free (except that it's harder to work it into my hair) and those are way more expensive. I wash, and use deep conditioning treatments weekly (Redken All Soft, I also use their protein mask about once a month or so). I oil my hair before washing - it gets really soft but the ends are persistently velcro-y. Recently I did henna for the first time (2ish weeks ago), but this problem is older than that... I use a coney serum and it helps short term (wash day). Around the house I keep my hair in a claw clip and the ends don't really touch/brush against anything. I detangle with a bamboo comb and I always do my best to be gentle, especially when detangling ends. I start at the ends and work my way up. Before going to sleep, I spray a bit of diluted leave-in onto my hand and then I spread it through my hair, so it gets slightly damp, braid it, and tie it with a scrunchie.

So what I'm puzzled about is whether this roughness at the ends means it's damaged? Because it wouldn't make much sense to me. :/ :confused:

barnet_fair
March 31st, 2021, 04:38 AM
You may just have naturally high porosity hair with a strong tendency to become rough at the ends - I think mine is like this but haven't tested the hypothesis properly by wearing it up all day every day to see if that makes a difference. ;) Does the texture feel more uniform if you plait to the ends, or don't plait at all while damp and leave it to dry loose?

What is likely true is that if you chop off these ends now and don't change anything in your routine, your new ends will probably end up the same way. I wouldn't chop them off unless they're really ruining your enjoyment of your hair for the forseeable future.

LemonadeCandy
March 31st, 2021, 07:29 AM
barnet_fair, I'm thinking the same. However, I wouldn't want to leave any serious damage unattended. I haven't had the means to plait the ends so far (I want to try a paranda for that purpose!), but when I used to straighten my hair (any straightened parts are long gone, I had a big chop two years ago), I noticed my ends weren't so rough, but still not as smooth as the length. So it's definitely a smoothness problem imo. It doesn't look very healthy, but if it is (which I'm not sure how to determine, except by the lack of splits and breakage), I'm going to leave it alone! :)

Feral_
March 31st, 2021, 08:08 AM
It’s the oldest hair so maybe that’s why the texture is different. If mine is feeling dry at the very ends due to lack of sebum I wet my braid tassel then apply some hair salve (babassu oil and shea butter). Leaves it silky smooth and not greasy. I just do it as and when, usually 1-2 times a week and I use a pea size amount as it’s very concentrated.

LemonadeCandy
March 31st, 2021, 08:17 AM
Feral_ that sounds nice! I don't have those ingredients, but I might start experimenting with oils and butters that way! Do you make your own salve?

Dark40
April 3rd, 2021, 09:03 AM

I'm agreeing with SleepyTangles. Do a clarifying wash followed by a moisturizing treatment. Sometimes protein or product build up can make the hair feel like velcro even if healthy.

Hexana
April 4th, 2021, 12:16 AM
Usually, when my ends start feeling really coarse I do a dusting (every 5 to 6 months) and it helps immensely (and doesn't affect the length). Also, make sure you concentrate your masks and conditioners on your ends, but avoid putting shampoo on them (just let it run down them from the top of your head).

LemonadeCandy
April 4th, 2021, 01:30 AM
Usually, when my ends start feeling really coarse I do a dusting (every 5 to 6 months) and it helps immensely (and doesn't affect the length). Also, make sure you concentrate your masks and conditioners on your ends, but avoid putting shampoo on them (just let it run down them from the top of your head).

Yes, I was thinking of doing even a trim, to even out my ends and maybe layer them a bit. Maybe the fact that it's a DIY blunt cut (hello COVID) makes it worse.

I do clarify and use a moisturizing treatment weekly. The rest of my hair is incredibly soft.

Just last night I started trying what Feral_ suggested, but tweaked to fit what I had on hand. I first used a bit of diluted leave-in everywhere, to make braiding easier. Then on the braid tassel I put a bit of burdock oil, let that get nicely absorbed, and then I put the tiniest bit of mineral oil. The instant result was very nice!
This morning, there was some roughness again, but overall, I think it's better than before. I'll continue to do this for at least a week and see how it goes. If it turns out to be a good solution, I might make my own concoction for that purpose only. :)

Feral_
April 4th, 2021, 03:54 AM
Feral_ that sounds nice! I don't have those ingredients, but I might start experimenting with oils and butters that way! Do you make your own salve?

Yes LemonadeCandy I make my own. I looked up various ingredients online that were in expensive hair salves and thought “I can make that” :lol: I do a 50/50 ratio of melted babassu oil and shea butter and just a few drops of essential oil for fragrance. I keep it in the fridge in a mini screw top jar, it’s solid and white. My current batch has rosemary and palmarosa essential oils added, it smells divine even if say so myself! It leaves my braid tassel super shiny and soft with no product-y feeling.

LemonadeCandy
April 5th, 2021, 04:14 AM
Yes LemonadeCandy I make my own. I looked up various ingredients online that were in expensive hair salves and thought “I can make that” :lol: I do a 50/50 ratio of melted babassu oil and shea butter and just a few drops of essential oil for fragrance. I keep it in the fridge in a mini screw top jar, it’s solid and white. My current batch has rosemary and palmarosa essential oils added, it smells divine even if say so myself! It leaves my braid tassel super shiny and soft with no product-y feeling.

Thanks for the recipe, Feral_, I'll definitely try to make something similar on my own! :)
How long does it stay in the fridge?

Feral_
April 5th, 2021, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the recipe, Feral_, I'll definitely try to make something similar on my own! :)
How long does it stay in the fridge?

I made mine last autumn time and it’s exactly the same, no degradation. Fats tend to go rancid faster at room temp and UV can affect some, hence cool and dark is the way to go. I bought standard sized jars of babassu and shea to make my salve and they are still in the fridge absolutely fine. Also I’ve only used a third of my tiny salve jar so the main ingredients will last me years yet!