PDA

View Full Version : CWC method + oiling

SeppV
March 30th, 2021, 06:39 AM
Hi,

I have just tried the CWC method. I am planning on clarifying my entire hair when needed and I am using products without silicones. I have also started oiling pre-shampoo. I oil my entire hair with coconut oil. I have fine hair, so I try to oil enough but not over the top. My question is: how will CWC ensure that the oil is actually removed from my hair? I have usually used a clarifying shampoo all over when I have done oiling, and so I don't really get how the CWC method is possible if I want to oil pre-wash, because I won't actually be washing my ends with shampoo, right? The only option I can come up with would be to oil only on the days I am clarifying, but I would love to oil prior to every wash and not just when I clarify. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week (CWC).

Lady Stardust
March 30th, 2021, 06:59 AM
The conditioner will help to remove the oil from your hair, so pre-wash oiling and CWC can work well together.

If you find you’re getting build up on your lengths, you could skip the oiling and the first conditioner and do a clarifying wash.

Everyone is different, so give it a try and see what works for you :)

Jane99
March 30th, 2021, 07:18 AM
At least on me, conditioner gets the oil out. I can do a pre poo oil and then wash with conditioner only and all the oil gets out. I believe it is the emulsifiers in the conditioner that wash off the oil.

Siv
March 30th, 2021, 08:23 AM
What type of shampoo do you use when not clarifying? I use a regular SLS one, and oil + conditioner are washed out when I lather up my scalp and then let the suds run down the lengths as I rinse

ETA: there's a CWC thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421) you could try too if you have any other questions!

Eastbound&Down
March 30th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Yep, OCWC works really well in my experience, although YMMV, as everyone's hair reacts differently to different treatments.

SeppV
March 30th, 2021, 12:11 PM
What type of shampoo do you use when not clarifying? I use a regular SLS one, and oil + conditioner are washed out when I lather up my scalp and then let the suds run down the lengths as I rinse

ETA: there's a CWC thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421) you could try too if you have any other questions!

I have tried using a non sulfate shampoo, but that just wouldn't do it for me. Today I tried with a regular, no-silicone, SLS shampoo. I got all the oil out of my hair the way you and the others have said, with just conditioner on the ends. I am a bit surprised it actually worked, since I didn't get the oil out with my non sulfate shampoo earlier. I kept the conditioner in my hair for an hour or so, so maybe that helped too + using a bit less oil than I did earlier :-)

I will look at that thread if I need some more advice. Thank you!

Siv
March 30th, 2021, 12:35 PM
I have tried using a non sulfate shampoo, but that just wouldn't do it for me. Today I tried with a regular, no-silicone, SLS shampoo. I got all the oil out of my hair the way you and the others have said, with just conditioner on the ends. I am a bit surprised it actually worked, since I didn't get the oil out with my non sulfate shampoo earlier. I kept the conditioner in my hair for an hour or so, so maybe that helped too + using a bit less oil than I did earlier :-)

I will look at that thread if I need some more advice. Thank you!

Glad it worked out for you! FWIW if you're up for experimenting a bit, for me I can usually get all oil out only leaving the conditioner on for a couple of minutes if I use a SLS-shampoo. Also, personally I use O+CWC mainly to be able to use SLS-shampoos because my scalp likes them, but my ends really don't! The O + first C protect my ends quite well I think

LemonadeCandy
March 30th, 2021, 01:59 PM
I've been thinking about trying this for some time! I already oil my hair (almost) every time I wash, so I wasn't sure about CWC... I'm definitely subscribing to this thread, and I'll update you when I try this out!

(I'm having a little henna bleeding problem, so I'm not sure whether to oil before my next wash, I'll get back to oiling - and trying out the CWC method - when the henna thing settles a bit.)

SeppV
March 30th, 2021, 02:18 PM
I've been thinking about trying this for some time! I already oil my hair (almost) every time I wash, so I wasn't sure about CWC... I'm definitely subscribing to this thread, and I'll update you when I try this out!

(I'm having a little henna bleeding problem, so I'm not sure whether to oil before my next wash, I'll get back to oiling - and trying out the CWC method - when the henna thing settles a bit.)

As I mentioned above, I was really surprised that the conditioner actually seemed to be doing a better job getting the oil out than a "weak" shampoo. And that seems to be the experience of other's as well...
Curious to see how fast I get build-up and how often I will have to clarify. Looking forward to your update!

MusicalSpoons
March 30th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Glad it worked for you! I do this, plus ROO in between shampoo and conditioner. I heavily oil for the pre-poo and leave it in for a day or 2 (because my circumstances allow it; I know not everyone could) then condition for several hours before washing. It sort of acts as a deep condition / mask I suppose. For me, I found a huge difference in how my hair felt between leaving conditioner on for 30mins or leaving for an hour+, but oil-wise I don't recall it making too much difference.

Finda
March 30th, 2021, 03:07 PM
I do this as well. Oil from the ears down, then CWC. My hair already loved CWC, but with the added oil I don't need to put anything on my ends for the entire week. I was also surprised and a bit doubtful when I read here that conditioner can wash out oil. But it's true and the amount of oil doesn't matter to me at all with this method. Some years back I tried washing out oil with SLS shampoo, but I had varying success.

Glad it worked for you! I do this, plus ROO in between shampoo and conditioner. I heavily oil for the pre-poo and leave it in for a day or 2 (because my circumstances allow it; I know not everyone could) then condition for several hours before washing. It sort of acts as a deep condition / mask I suppose. For me, I found a huge difference in how my hair felt between leaving conditioner on for 30mins or leaving for an hour+, but oil-wise I don't recall it making too much difference.

Does your hair feel better after leaving it on for longer than an hour? During the last wash I left my first conditioner sit for almost two hours, unplanned, and I wondered if the positive effect was a fluke.

MusicalSpoons
March 30th, 2021, 05:15 PM
I do this as well. Oil from the ears down, then CWC. My hair already loved CWC, but with the added oil I don't need to put anything on my ends for the entire week. I was also surprised and a bit doubtful when I read here that conditioner can wash out oil. But it's true and the amount of oil doesn't matter to me at all with this method. Some years back I tried washing out oil with SLS shampoo, but I had varying success.

Does your hair feel better after leaving it on for longer than an hour? During the last wash I left my first conditioner sit for almost two hours, unplanned, and I wondered if the positive effect was a fluke.

Oh most definitely yes! To the point where my hair is usually happy for a couple of weeks if I do the whole routine properly :o

baanoo
March 30th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Oh most definitely yes! To the point where my hair is usually happy for a couple of weeks if I do the whole routine properly :o

I'm nowhere near the expert Spoons is, but I can second the impact of leaving on the oil for an age and the conditioner for another - I always forget how much of a difference it makes.

JasminxCat
March 30th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Pre poo + CWC has worked great for me. The first C I use is a cleansing conditioner I use for my scalp and length. Iet it sit for a few minutes to help lift the oils before rinsing it out, then go in with a regular conditioner on my length again. Pre poo (or oil soak, you could say) following with just regular S&C usually ends with my hair feeling dry with still some patches of oily hair

Finda
March 31st, 2021, 12:29 PM

I know you scalp wash, but do you put anything else on your ends between full washes? It's already day 3 after my last wash and the hair is still incredibly smooth. I will give this another try and hope the result is repeatable :)

MusicalSpoons
March 31st, 2021, 01:28 PM
I know you scalp wash, but do you put anything else on your ends between full washes? It's already day 3 after my last wash and the hair is still incredibly smooth. I will give this another try and hope the result is repeatable :)

Nope, nothing at all, that's why I love it so much!

Finda
March 31st, 2021, 03:04 PM
Nope, nothing at all, that's why I love it so much!

Nice :)

Before I added the oil during the last winter, I always had the impression my ends needed a wash every third/fourth day because they started looking and feeling sort of rough then. When I now wash my hair fully after a week the ends are still smooth. I mean in general, not just because of the especially soft hair after the last wash.

LemonadeCandy
April 2nd, 2021, 02:05 AM

Aaand I'm back! :cheese:
I decided to try this despite the henna washing out (that's a whole different problem). It seems to me that the oil (I used castor and coconut) didn't pull out any of the henna.
While the conditioner did help surprisingly much with washing the oils out, for this first time I didn't notice a significant difference in the softness of my hair (compared to just oiling). What I'd like to try next is getting a tiny bit better conditioner. I'd still use a generic drugstore one for starters, since I usually use conditioner just for detangling, and later I do a deep conditioning with a higher quality mask. However, this specific conditioner that I'm using is exceptionally bad; see, I bought it for shaving! And then it somehow happens that I always seem to forget to buy a decent conditioner for my hair, so I end up using that one.
I wonder if that would make a difference.

I'll continue to apply this method for a couple more washes, and see where it gets me! :)