PDA

View Full Version : Unevenly trimmed hair

SeppV
March 30th, 2021, 06:13 AM
Hi,

I'm new here, so I apologize if I have posted this the wrong place.
I currently have waist length hair, and I want to see how long it can get. I tried self trimming the other day. Originally I had a cut that made my hair u-shaped in the back, but I wanted a straight line, so I cut it that way. The issue is that when I cut it (using Feye's trim taking the hair in the front) the very back of my head got trimmed, but not the sides in the back, if that makes sense? I achieved a straight cut this way, but what I did not achieve was trimming the sides, and they needed a trim to. So the question is where do I go from here? Do I just have to cut all of it even shorter so even the sides get trimmed? I was kind of hoping for another solution so I don't have to loose anymore length.... Is just growing it out and trimming evenly an option? And then, when reaching goal length I can maintain and eventually the old damage will be cut of. If damage "travels" up the strands, I am a bit scared about the damage that won't get trimmed from the sides then...

Would love some advice, although I know there probably isn't a black and white answer to this ;-)

Nini
March 30th, 2021, 06:39 AM
Well, if you had a U-shape you'd have to cut deeper than the U to get an even straight cut. That's just how it is. You could however microtrim the sides and let them catch up with the rest of your length. Either way it'll take a little while.

Lady Stardust
March 30th, 2021, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the forum!

You could do a U shape trim to see if that catches the hair at the sides? A tiny trim now might help you to feel better about the sides while they grow down and catch up with the rest.

SeppV
March 30th, 2021, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!

You could do a U shape trim to see if that catches the hair at the sides? A tiny trim now might help you to feel better about the sides while they grow down and catch up with the rest.

I have come to the conclusion that it's probably best to get a slight u-shaped trim. I will just obsess about my non-trimmed hair if I don't. I am actually nervous about going to the hair dresser to get this done... not only is it expensive (about 80 dollars here in Norway...) but I don't want them to take of any more than absolutely needed and I don't want them to do that "thinning" thing they do to the ends. I want ends bluntly chopped of so they remain thick and nice... I will have to prepare a detailed "speech" of what I want when I get there today... even if that might annoy them ;-)

Thanks for the advice here and in the other thread I posted!

Lady Stardust
March 31st, 2021, 04:55 AM
I have come to the conclusion that it's probably best to get a slight u-shaped trim. I will just obsess about my non-trimmed hair if I don't. I am actually nervous about going to the hair dresser to get this done... not only is it expensive (about 80 dollars here in Norway...) but I don't want them to take of any more than absolutely needed and I don't want them to do that "thinning" thing they do to the ends. I want ends bluntly chopped of so they remain thick and nice... I will have to prepare a detailed "speech" of what I want when I get there today... even if that might annoy them ;-)

Thanks for the advice here and in the other thread I posted!

It sounds like you might have already gone to the hairdresser, I hope all went well!

There are a couple of options for U shaped hems if you want to self trim in future, either Feye’s method or Spidermom’s method. Here’s a link to Spidermom’s method (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151869).