PDA

View Full Version : Trim: should I arrive at salon with hair already wet?

Tabitha
November 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I've just booked an appointment for my twice-yearly trim in 3 weeks' time. I'm after more than a dusting, but less than a "haircut"/restyle.

I'm going to my usual lovely stylist who's been cutting my hair for at least 5 years now. He helped me grow it from messy ex-pixie to where I am now, at waist and he always discusses with me what I want and respects what we agree absolutely.

What is concerning me rather is the wash and comb-out by a junior member of staff, now that my hair is waist length. The last couple of times I could feel my hair tangling in the sink and found the "scalp massage" to be more of a rough scrub. Afterwards, the comb-out to get rid of tangles verged on the painful.

I had considered trying the George Michael salon in London because of their special long-hair sinks and gentle approach to handling, but I'm a bit bothered by their philosophy that hair should be all one length, since I like my fringe and shorter front pieces.

So my question is: would it be a good idea to wash my hair myself before I go, so I can wash it standing in the shower as usual and avoid the salon wash and comb-out? I'll be getting a lift to London and can be dropped right outside the salon so I won't need to walk around town with a towel on my head :silly: I could make it a little easier by bringing my own comb and insisting on combing myself after the wash, but a large part of the problem IS the wash and I think I would feel rather pernickety and ungracious forbidding the junior to comb it whereas arriving with wet hair = fait accompli.

I don't really care whether the staff think I'm weird for turning up with wet hair, but I do wonder whether the stylist should ideally see my hair dry before cutting it. Normally before I go to the backwash, he looks at my hair, runs his fingers through it and discusses what I want. Even though he's been cutting my hair for so long, it's a busy salon and I can't expect him to remember how my hair looks and behaves from May when I last had it cut.

If any hairdressers are reading, I'd be interested in your opinion.

MTIA

amaiaisabella
November 13th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I would either arrive with your hair already wet, or request he just spray it with a water bottle and trim from there. FWIW, I used to work as a hairdresser's assistant, and plenty of people just requested their hair be dampened with the spritzer- short or long.

Dolly
November 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I haven't had my hair washed at a salon since I stopped having perms 9 years ago.....I always go in and just ask that they spritz it. They usually have no problem with that, especially since they are only doing a trim and not a whole head cut/re-style.

ChloeDharma
November 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I think you know enough about your hair to not need him to assess it dry first and you can just tell him how much to cut.
It's not actually unusual to go with wet or freshly washed hair and skip the wash part in a salon, in fact it saves time and would even give him a bit of a breather between you and the next client from the time saved not having to wait for you to get washed etc and believe me, those are very welcome when you work in a busy salon! ;)

Tabitha
November 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I s'pose there were two things I was thinking he might need to see: how it falls when dry as opposed to wet (because of the wave pattern); and a reassessment of how the front should look (fringe, shorter front pieces) to be most flattering to my rather narrow face and small features. It was his suggestion last time I had it cut to graduate the front a bit, and I was very pleased with the result as it did look a lot better.

Raven69
November 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Well its your hair, you can tell the salon how you want it - I would suggest pulling your favorite stylist/cutter aside and tell them how you feel about some of their other staff and if your stylist/cutter could possibly do the wash and scalp massage for you, themselves...and be sure to tip them extra if they do agree to do it...they should - they like to have personal clients and will do just about anything to make your experience a good one so you'll keep coming back to them. If the stylists doesnt want to do it themselves, then just be sure to let the one washing your hair know that you have a sensitive scalp and would like to pass on the scalp massage, and request to brush/comb your own hair.

Normally a stylists/salon would want to wash your hair for you so that they can use their products to make cutting/styling your hair easier - they use certain products that give you that soft and shiny healthy hair "i just came from the salon" look.

maskedrose
November 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I went in with a wet head last time and it was no problem. I've been COing for such a long time with great results, and I didn't want to have to clarify all of the cones out of my hair post trim. My stylist didn't bat an eyelash - like yours she's been doing my hair for years and knows what I want. If you want him to see it dry before hand, I agree with the others to just have him mist it - just make sure that it is freshly washed by you - I doubt if they like to cut wet dirty hair!

Islandgrrl
November 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I've gone in with my hair pre-washed , combed and super damp/kinda wet and just asked that they spritz it rather than wash it and be very, very careful with the comb. I always tell whomever is working on my hair that I have a very super sensitive scalp. They seem to take that better than telling them I don't trust them to be gentle. When my hair was still knee length and my beloved Henry was trimming it for me, he would wash my scalp & give me an incredible massage (left the rest of my hair draped outside the wash bowl) and then spritz the rest for the cut. He was, as far as I'm concerned, the G*d of Good Haircuts (alas, too far away now).

So you have lots of options, especially if you have a long-standing relationship with your stylist. Ask for what you want. You might just get it.

Tapioca
November 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I always show up with my hair clean, dry, and freshly detangled. I'll usually detangle while in the waiting area. She'll wet it down with a spray bottle and go from there. Very minimal tangling and pulling.

darkwaves
November 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
That's what I'm going to do for my next trim, winter or not!

I am tired of having my hair balled up in a tiny sink to be washed, then torn apart to detangle.

My stylist is great for quick cuts, so why endure the rest of it?