PDA

View Full Version : Cat-proof hairstyles?

Saunda
March 21st, 2021, 12:50 PM
I wear my hair in braids, generally English ones these days. I like it, they are easy and I can wear a bike helmet over them. However, my cat also likes them, I guess because they look just so delicious dangling from my head. There is nothing quite like trying to wrestle your hair from your cat's mouth. Does anyone have any suggestions to hairstyles where the hair is firmly attached to your head? Preferably something you can put a bike helmet over. I know this sounds absurb but yes I am serious.

BuddhaBelle
March 21st, 2021, 12:52 PM
Perhaps a milk maid braid would allow for a bike helmet to fit over :)

Jane99
March 21st, 2021, 01:59 PM
My cats attack my hair when it’s braided, too. I usually just wear buns so maybe a low bun could fit a helmet over it

PeonyBlue
March 21st, 2021, 03:20 PM
I sometimes just loop the braid when I don’t want the long dangle...often with a ribbon braided into the ends then tied around the base of the braid. Looks quite cute when you loop multiple braids to each other.

Kat
March 21st, 2021, 03:46 PM
Perhaps a milk maid braid would allow for a bike helmet to fit over :)

That would require a bigger helmet, because the hair makes the head bigger. (Yeah, I know this because it's my go-to style for dance so has to fit under my hornpipe hat, and also would often wear it for pipe band performances, where it would also have to fit under my uniform Balmoral-- both of which I've needed to have big enough to accommodate head *and* hair.)

I would think a good solution might simply be to twist those braids into a low bun of some sort. If it won't go under the helmet, then you can take them down just when riding and then put them back up (the Heidi/milkmaid braids would also work for putting up and taking down; they're pretty quick to put up. When we used to do a workout at work every day, I'd wear my hair in two braids for the day and then quick put them up before the workout, then take them back down after my shower.).

Shorty89
March 26th, 2021, 08:53 AM
Could you carry hairsticks and put your braid in a bun when you get home?

Saunda
March 26th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Low braided buns are a good idea!

Saunda
March 26th, 2021, 10:30 AM
I haven't got any hairsticks, would chopsticks work?

Saunda
March 26th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Could you carry hairsticks and put your braid in a bun when you get home?

neko_kawaii
March 26th, 2021, 10:32 AM

Chopsticks, pens, pencils, yes!

Kat
March 26th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Chopsticks, pens, pencils, knitting needles (I swear by DPNs as hairsticks anyway, but it would crack my mom up when I took a shower at her house because the knitting needles that always seemed to be on top in her knitting box were circulars...), even a big chignon/french twist comb.

MusicalSpoons
March 26th, 2021, 09:03 PM
If braids work with your helmet, I'd be inclined to say pin them up or bun them when you are where the cats are, then take them down for when you need to wear the helmet.