PDA

View Full Version : I'm cutting my hair today :(

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 10:29 AM
the last time I cut my hair was last may. I went in because I got a wild hair up my...anyway I wanted a tiny bit of fringe so that the sides of my hair would frame my face. I just wanted wispy little tips along the length of the sides of my hair. Instead the stylist separated my hair and chopped the sides off to my chin. (and she cut a few random pieces off at strange lengths) I told her she better find a way to glue it back on and stormed out of the shop without paying. I cried for a week. The sides are finally starting to get long but I hate looking at them. This is why I never get my hair cut. I'm known to refer to stylists as hair assassins.

I had several surgeries for female problems and my hair has paid the price. My beautiful hair used to be much thicker and healthier. Now it is soooo thin. My ends are pretty damaged because I have been foolishly wearing it down at a craft store and have had all kinds of things ripping it.

So I made an appointment and I'm having my hair cut today. I'm thinking I"m going to take 3 inches off the bottom and have her do something with my bangs which are making me feel like a sheep dog.

Wish me luck. I"m gonna cry I know it. Since I've lost a lot of hair from my surgeries it seems to be slowing down in growing. anyone have any ideas how I can help it along. My goal is to have hair to my feet someday. (my mother's is down to her calves and I envy her!) I was considering buying some nioxin (sp?) shampoo. anyone have any experience with this stuff?

btw, what the heck is bsl?

Islandgrrl
November 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry that you're having to cut your hair. I understand why it's making you sad.

Good luck with the cut - I hope it makes you feel better about things and that you end up with a cut you like.

BSL is Bra Strap Length.

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
thanks Island Girl. I"m sure once I get over the bald feeling I"ll be ok with it since it is just a trim. so long as she doesn't do something stupid like chop it all off!

is there a acronym for waist length hair?

Sofoulee
November 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I wish you the best of luck krspies, and I'm so sorry for that foolish stylist... she shouldn't even have a job. Why even ask what the customer wants if you're not gonna listen??

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Thank you Sofoulee. I could have killed her!!

p.s. I keep forgetting I"m using krspies as a username. LOL my name is Kelly

cindy58
November 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hope your cut makes you feel happier -- it can, you know, if you end up feeling more attractive with it. 3" isn't too bad -- you can have that back fairly quickly.

Take photos of what you would like and have a good discussion of your goals before the trim.

Copasetic
November 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM
good luck with your hair cut! it might be a good thing if your hair is damaged. you can get rid of the damaged hair, and make room for beautiful new healthy hair.

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM
thank you. I do have a pic to take with me so there's no confusions. there better not be anyway. lol

spidermom
November 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
To me, BSL = Bottom of Shoulderblade Length. Bra Strap Length is so non-descriptive. Think about it - the strap goes up and over your shoulders, and when most people say BSL, what they mean is Bra Band Length. Every other length description is a body part, so that is why I've chosen Bottom of Shoulderblade Length. That is where the bra band goes around.

girlcat36
November 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Sound like your hair is long enough that a 3" trim will still leave you plenty of length. Stress the word 'trim' to the stylist!
I have had 4 surgeries and chemo and radiation in the last year and a half, which devastated my hair.
I found scalp massage to be very helpful, and making sure I wasn't deficient in any important vitamins/minerals.

StephanieB
November 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Look, Kelly...

FIRST: WATCH what the stylist is doing! WATCH CAREFULLY!!

I have trouble with that coz I'm legally blind without my glasses, which they always want to remove. I've learned to take them off and hold onto them in my hand, and put them right back on as soon as they're no longer near my ears.

Second: If the stylist doesn't take the time to look at your picture(s) and talk to you about YOUR HAIR TYPE and how it will look in that style in the pic... Get up and leave. Don't give a second chance to screw your hair up.

Now, really, 3 inches isn't bad when your length is still gonna be 30 inches after the cut.

Make sure it's only gonna be 3 inches.

This is gonna sound stupid - but ask the stylist - before she touches a scissors - to who you exactly what 3 inches means to her.
Better yet - bring your own tape measure and show her what it means!

You may feel so much better, since your hair won't have damage on the ends any more, after the cut --- that it's well worth having done it! :D

Good luck!

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Look, Kelly...

FIRST: WATCH what the stylist is doing! WATCH CAREFULLY!!

I have trouble with that coz I'm legally blind without my glasses, which they always want to remove. I've learned to take them off and hold onto them in my hand, and put them right back on as soon as they're no longer near my ears.

Second: If the stylist doesn't take the time to look at your picture(s) and talk to you about YOUR HAIR TYPE and how it will look in that style in the pic... Get up and leave. Don't give a second chance to screw your hair up.

Now, really, 3 inches isn't bad when your length is still gonna be 30 inches after the cut.

Make sure it's only gonna be 3 inches.

This is gonna sound stupid - but ask the stylist - before she touches a scissors - to who you exactly what 3 inches means to her.
Better yet - bring your own tape measure and show her what it means!

You may feel so much better, since your hair won't have damage on the ends any more, after the cut --- that it's well worth having done it! :D

Good luck!

that is great advice thank you! I chose this stylist because when my youngest daughter started whacking off her hair this was the woman that did that for her. my daughter cut her hair off in stages and this stylist was very considerate about the length of her hair. I think I will take my own measuring tape.

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Sound like your hair is long enough that a 3" trim will still leave you plenty of length. Stress the word 'trim' to the stylist!
I have had 4 surgeries and chemo and radiation in the last year and a half, which devastated my hair.
I found scalp massage to be very helpful, and making sure I wasn't deficient in any important vitamins/minerals.

You sound like me. I didn't have radiation but I did have 5 surgeries. not only my hair suffered but my teeth started crumbling. 10k later and I'm finally feeling comfortable enough to smile again. did your teeth have problems too?

I tried taking vitamins. LOL I'm so bad about taking pills. I actually have to set an alarm clock and leave notes all over the place to remember to take them. I still have them in my cupboard and I really should get back to taking them. What kind of vitamins are you taking?

girlcat36
November 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
You sound like me. I didn't have radiation but I did have 5 surgeries. not only my hair suffered but my teeth started crumbling. 10k later and I'm finally feeling comfortable enough to smile again. did your teeth have problems too?

I tried taking vitamins. LOL I'm so bad about taking pills. I actually have to set an alarm clock and leave notes all over the place to remember to take them. I still have them in my cupboard and I really should get back to taking them. What kind of vitamins are you taking?

I am at high risk for tooth decay and gum disease due to my treatment. This requires meticulous dental hygeine, and daily flouride treataments at home. So far, so good.

I have to take megadoses of calcium, potassium, and vitamin D. I hate having to take all these pills, but if I don't I become symptomatic, which reminds me to take them.
I also take zinc, iron, evening primrose oil, B-12, and msm. I actually don't take a multivitamin.
I have incorporated more raw foods into my diet over the last month, and I think this helped with shedding, but not the actual growth.

StephanieB
November 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
that is great advice thank you! I chose this stylist because when my youngest daughter started whacking off her hair this was the woman that did that for her. my daughter cut her hair off in stages and this stylist was very considerate about the length of her hair. I think I will take my own measuring tape.

And make her USE it. :D

Happy to have helped. :)

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I wish my doc had given me some information about the dental risks. nobody said anything until I started complaining and at about that time I lost my dental insurance. by the time I got insurance back it was too late and all that could be done was to give me new crowns. the whole front of my mouth is now crowns. I do the normal brushing and flossing but what kind of dental hygiene routine do you have?

I have a ton of vitamins I started taking. I think there are 12 all together but I couldn't name them off without pulling them out and reading the labels. lol

Sammybunny711
That is so sad! I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with a stylist! I am so afraid about getting my hair "trimmed" one day (hopefully not for fifteen months or so), so I think that if my hair is long by the time I need to trim it, I will do it myself or have my mom do it so I don't feel so afraid of going to a "stylist".

krspies
And make her USE it. :D

Happy to have helped. :)

LOL will do!

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM
That is so sad! I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with a stylist! I am so afraid about getting my hair "trimmed" one day (hopefully not for fifteen months or so), so I think that if my hair is long by the time I need to trim it, I will do it myself or have my mom do it so I don't feel so afraid of going to a "stylist".

oh no I hope my phobias don't influence you. not all stylists are evil. lol there are some good ones. I just wish I lived in a place where they are easy to find.

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
can anyone explain what the i/ii/iii are in types in our profile?

manderly
November 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Awww, I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Have you considered trimming your own hair, like Feye's method, to completely eliminate the chance of something like that happening again? I cut my own hair, as well as my bangs. No crazy lady wielding scissors needs to get close to me :)

lora410
November 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I have used the nioxin vitamins with great success. It my hair grow in super thick and I definitely recommend all their products. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma and hope all works out well for you.

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your support. I"m happy to report that my trim went very well and I"m happy with it. that's a first! lol I never thought I'd be happy after having my hair cut but it looks so much better now.

I just had my daughter snap a pic of it.

http://www.acspotlight.net/images/hair3.jpg

Vitalai
November 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Your hair is gorgeous, especially that vibrant color! I'm glad your trim went well.

longhairedfairy
November 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM
That's stunning color!:)

ETA: i/ii/iii is how much hair you have or how thick your hair is all together, but not the thickness of an individual strand. For example, you could have fine hair but iii thickness. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tressie
November 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hi krspies!
Sorry to hear you have had bad experiences with sylists! Please be sure that the one you are seeing for your planned "cut" is worthy of your trust!

You might ask her to take off an inch or two and see how it looks, and then if you are satisfied with that, fine! If you want an inch or two more, then you can decide. My stylist is very good to err on the side of caution and I like that. I do not leave crying if I get a trim.

I am non-trimming now though because I want to see if I can reach classic or beyond before terminal. I just do S&D, which is "search and destroy", meaning I snip any splits I can find with sharp scissors. I hope everything works out well.

You may feel a lot better when your hemline is evened up. It does make the hair look thicker IMHO! (o:

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thank you both. that whole iiii thing is confusing. LOL can't I just say I have fine hair but plenty of it? well not plenty enough, but I guess enough for some folks anyway.

When I was talking to the stylist today she told me she has a client that had developed a sensative scalp and thinning hair. she went to the doctor and her doctor gave her prescription vitamin D. she said after only a month her hair was growing back in plus thicker. now I gotta find out how to get my hands on some of that prescription vitamin D!!

girlcat36
November 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM
You hair is stunning, and doesn't look thin at all. In fact, it looks super-healthy.

Rain76
November 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I agree, your hair doesn't look thin at all. It looks very healthy & vibrant, and then ends do not look damaged one bit. My hair is thin & I am basically going bald all over. You have nothing to worry about.

AnneAdeline
November 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Your hair is so gorgeous! (That color makes me swoon.) It doesn't look thin at all.
Happy to hear your trim went well. :flower:

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks Girlcat, Rain and AnnaeAdeline. The stylist told me today that I"m obsessed with my hair. :joy:

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your support. I"m happy to report that my trim went very well and I"m happy with it. that's a first! lol I never thought I'd be happy after having my hair cut but it looks so much better now.

I had noticed in Honey that it looked a bit shorter. Gorgeous!

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you. It's kind of strange to see the back of my head that way. LOL usually I wash, comb and go. When I henna it I get to look in the mirror but somehow it just doesn't look like that. The stylist is no picaso so I see a bit of unevenness but I'm ok with that because she is very careful with long hair and takes it seriously so that she doesn't move without explaining it first. I think I'll stick with her. I'm about to go on a trimming experiment and I may need her help.

StephanieB
November 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM

OMG! Your hair is SO GORGEOUS!!! :agape:

I'm glad it worked out well for you, this time. Keep this stylist. :)

StephanieB
November 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
The stylist told me today that I"m obsessed with my hair. :joy:

Tell her that it's your hair, and you're entitled.

Remind her that you live in a free country.

Tell her that you're not looking for a "cure" for this particular obsession!

Tell me when it's time for me to STHU. :rollin:

krspies
November 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks Stephanie. I don't think she meant it as a bad thing. She even smelled my hair when I told her what I had been putting in it lately. I don't mind being told I"m obsessed with my hair as long as it is still intact when they stop touching me ;)

MAO
November 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM

WOW your hair is beautiful. I hope to get my hair that long someday. I especially love the color.

DecafJane
November 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
You have amazing hair! Wow!

I'm so sorry that you have been having problems with your health, and I hope it gets better soon.

Ponytale
November 15th, 2008, 10:54 AM
It looks beautiful!

I was surprised at the color given the photo you have on the side. Pretty in both of course....

Shadow Walker
November 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Oh my, your hair is FANTASTIC! Glad the trim went well, it certainly looks like it did.

joyfulmom4
November 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I just wanted to add my agreement with all of the other praise you've received. Your hair looks gorgeous and healthy and shiny and full. The color is rich and lovely. And it's *still* very long.

Darkhorse1
November 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
You have GORGEOUS hair!!

I'm a bit bothered by your medical care!! When having surgeries, you are supposed to be informed of EVERY side effect of it--I can only venture to guess that female problems, would also imply hormonal imbalances. The fact your teeth crumbled is atrocious!! Those doctor's should have told you this!!! There is hormone replacement if you got a hysterectomy, so you still have those hormones that keep your teeth strong. Or heck, calcium tablets!

I would have your bone density checked, as you may have a higher risk of osterperosis.

I hope you are on the road to recovery!! (((hugs))) you have great hair! Great trim and I'm SO glad you told that stylist off! (the first story you mentioned.). WHAT did this person miss? Fringe does not = cut off half of hair.